[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gen 5 Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 250px-White_2_EN_boxart.png (111KB, 250x223px) Image search: [Google]
250px-White_2_EN_boxart.png
111KB, 250x223px
So I posted a few weeks prior about replaying White 2 to see if it was shit or not.

Here's what I thought it did right.

Gameplay
>Showed some consideration for the players by allowing me to save before things like getting my starter.
>More consideration for things like battling Colress (gives you an 'are you ready dialogue', etc, while giving me surprises like Hugh's auto battles at the same time.
>Pokemon were placed well, allowing me to have a steel type before a poison gym and a fighting type before the normal gym and a ground type before the electric gym. I believe that the dungeons that you went to before the first 4 gyms all included Pokemon that would help you win, which was cool.
>Levels were always solid. I played though normal mode and didn't grind and I found trainers levels to be a little above mine when I first begin an area, and I'm above them when I leave. Perfect.
>NPCs usually didn't guide you and instead gave you hints as to where you should be going if you get lost. Ex. Alder says "Hey I heard the gym in first town opened back up".
>HM usage was limited to surf, and waterfall and fly to complete the story which isn't bad at all.

Cons:
>While Pokestar Studios was optional, I found the interface to be too slow if I messed up and had to start over
>It's pretty linear, but that may be a good thing for some of you. I'm glad that they stopped you from going where you shouldn't, but sometimes I wish that they had a better way of telling you.
>The animated battle sprites are still strange.

Personal
>I enjoyed the Xtransceiver events with Yancy, boy do I wish they implemented that better than "step in this place". Overall I think its a step in the right direction as far as dating sims in Pokemon goes.
>I'm fine with legends coming out of nowhere, but I wish I just stumbled upon them in an optional cave, instead. They did do that in BW1 though, so it's fine.
>Overworld was very pretty when I wasn't in Castelia.
>>
>>33176718
More Personal
>Unova isn't my favorite region, but I did enjoy how they tried to implement the theme of culture.
>I liked that you couldn't get the box legend until after the game.
>The Lentimas Town ghost house is probably my favorite part of the game and I wish they would do more things like that.

Discuss. What did you like/hate?
>>
>>33176718
>Zero ribbons
Literally the worst gen ever, everything it managed to get right got overshadowed by the mere fact that not a single ribbon is obtainable in-game
0/10 would never play again, unless I'm using it to import pokemon with ribbons from older generations into the newer ones
>>
>More consideration for things like battling Colress (gives you an 'are you ready dialogue', etc, while giving me surprises like Hugh's auto battles at the same time.
>Pokemon were placed well, allowing me to have a steel type before a poison gym and a fighting type before the normal gym and a ground type before the electric gym. I believe that the dungeons that you went to before the first 4 gyms all included Pokemon that would help you win, which was cool.
Call me a masochist, but I like unfair difficulty in the games. Fighting your rival after just making it through a cave, or otherwise having to fight when you're not ready for it is part of the charm of the games to me. Same for not having access to a particular type until after you finish the gym that's weak to it. That said, I do like that it's optional, and if I want my difficulty I can just choose to do the Colress fight even if my pokes are nearly dead, or refuse to use the healing trainer in the middle of a cave.

>Levels were always solid. I played though normal mode and didn't grind and I found trainers levels to be a little above mine when I first begin an area, and I'm above them when I leave. Perfect.
Agreed desu. The best level curves are the ones you don't notice.

>NPCs usually didn't guide you and instead gave you hints as to where you should be going if you get lost. Ex. Alder says "Hey I heard the gym in first town opened back up".
Disagree here, Alder saying that is basically the same as NPC's guiding you. He's basically just telling you to get your ass back to the first gym.

>HM usage was limited to surf, and waterfall and fly to complete the story which isn't bad at all.
One of the most underrated strengths of gen V imho. I recently replayed Platinum, and Jesus, so many HM's.

Personally I'd like to add the story to the list of pros. I know people on this board are very divided about the focus on the story in gen V, but I felt like it really added something to the games we hadn't seen before
>>
>>33176816
Fair. I didn't want to mention story, because I know that I can't be very objective about it. But I thought that it was a well thought out plot while still emphasizing your purpose to beat the Champion and be the best. The latter never takes a back seat, which felt nice.

>He's basically just telling you to get your ass back to the first gym.
Fair. It just seemed similar to Brock in Gen 1 where he just casually says "go to cerulean". I liked how Gen 1 and 2 were pretty open ended when it came to what to do next.
>>
>>33176795
>Zero ribbons
Never saw the appeal of ribbons, so I never noticed. Sorry bro.
>>
That was such an unbiased and genuine review of the game. I don't think I've ever seen such an objective imbibement of the games on here.
>>
>>33177241
Damn I could go for some imbibement right now.
>>
>>33176718
It´s a bit late, don´t you think?
>>
white 2 and black 2 are the only main pokemon games I never played. did they actually improve upon the abortion of games that black and white were enough to make them playable?
>>
>>33177338
As someone who honestly awfully dislikes Black and White I can tell you BW2 are one of the best in the series.
>>
>>33176718
What was your opinion on BW, though? I've given thought to playing Pt, HGSS, and B2W2, but considering my opinions on RS, DP, BW, ORAS, and SM are out of alignment with /vp/, I'm not sure if they're really worth it.
>>
>>33177338
there is no real reason to go back unless you like the battle facilities or the story
The internet is dead too
But do it anyways if you like pokemon
>>
>>33177338

4chan is pretty weird this way.

I find that a lot of people I know irl didn't finish BW2 because they got bored of it towards the end. The middle - late portion of the game is a lot like BW, and so I think they didn't find it very fresh and engaging.
>>
File: IMG_0616.png (55KB, 200x153px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0616.png
55KB, 200x153px
>>33176872
Another Anon here. I have a Salamence from Gale of Darkness. I did Mt.Battle in that game, frontier in emerald, frontier in HG, Maison in ORAS, and now the Battle tree in Sun. I also did PWT just because I wanted to, but the no ribbon thing hurts. It(and other mons from GoD) have a fuckload of ribbons, did the Elite 4 of different regions, defeated Red in HG.

I love looking at them ribbons man. A nice reminder of all the battles we had.
>>
>>33177338
yes. Black and White 1 are indeed fucking terrible but with B/W 2 you suddenly have more player agency which is good.

also, I didn't enjoy any Gen 5 game as much.
I'm playing Origin Platinum right now and I think for me it's safe to say Platinum is the one game from the IP I enjoyed the most so far. Everything feels right and everything is engaging enough to make you keep playing. The soundtrack is excellent, the characters are believable even though random npcs might have less personality than the ones in B/W2, also their sprites are more elaborate, obviously.

Now with B/W2, I wish there was even more player agency which results in even more exploration and all that. I'm not the biggest fan of the aesthetics or the atmosphere though. I could do with less gimmicky places that are all about information overload. the thing just is that if they don't go nuts with designing gyms, it's still gonna be bland standard procedures from previous gens. although Platinum was rather interactive with that flower clock, the rise and sink of water levels and pushing punching bags into wheel stacks and finding the right door in the dark and all that stuff. I can barely remember the Bug Gym and Poison Gym in BW2 and that's it.

all in all, they all just need to be careful with the ratio of gameplay vs. narration like any dev. if eye candy takes too much time (like moving dragon heads or that crazy league building, design that with more interaction in mind.
>>
>>33177326
No.
>>33177338
Unova is by far not my favorite region. My biases upon first playing them was that the colors were bland compared to HG/SS and it didn't have the player agency that I enjoyed. The games really felt empty. But BW2 gives more life into gen 5. You should at least try it.

>>33177376
I haven't replayed BW but my first impression as a 17 year old was that the story was incredible for a Pokemon game and that's it. I still enjoyed the story more than SM. But I honestly don't believe that Pokemon is about a grandscale overarching plot. My opinion though.

>>33177521
Damn. I think I understand now. They do come back in Gen 6, right?

>>33177593
I tend to criticize them on that, but it does seem to be a bit difficult balancing narrative and gameplay. I liked Gens 1 and 2 because it seemed like a perfect balance (being 80% gameplay and 20% story) but I realize that that's only my perspective and may be a result of them having limited technology.

I think the way the story is being told is more important than how interesting the story is. Gen 7 had interesting story, but I think the execution could've been better. Gen 1 didn't but I finally knew what the cinnabar island diary meant when I went to cerulean cave. They foreshadowed it spectacularly.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.