[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

According to some, XYORAS > SM. Why so?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: bye-bye-uberfags.jpg (10KB, 240x167px) Image search: [Google]
bye-bye-uberfags.jpg
10KB, 240x167px
I've noticed here that some people have expressed that they prefer the Gen 6 games over the Gen 7 games. To those who agree with this claim, can I get your reasons why you think so? Not starting some flame war, I just wanted to hear some opinions.

Now me personally, I like 7 more and found 6 to be rather weak (although ORAS was pretty fun, though not as good as Emerald).

Note: Please keep civil. Don't screech "autist!!" if you want to be taken seriously.
>>
Gen 7 was decent and a step in the right direction when It came to improving mechanics like HMs. I just liked oras better because it had more things to do during and after the story. I was burnt out of sun and moon right after I got my second cosmic because there was nothing else to do besides the facility. ORAS gave me lots of options and even some small things like finding Winona and Roxanne in other places.

TLDR: with oras being a remake I think they put a lot more charm and effort into it. people shit on it for not having the BF, but unmet potential is not the same as a bad game in my opinion.

Idk why people say that SM is worse than XY. I certainly don't think that.
>>
>>33153108
I own Y, Alpha Sapphire, and Moon, and I can tell you that even when those 3 games lack good Post-Game (aka more things than just Battle Whatever, Completing the Pokédex, and Online), Y has PR Trainer Video, Rolling Skates, Poké Radar, better Customization Options than Moon.

Y and Alpha Sapphire have Horde Battles that allows to EV Training faster than any other Pokémon games, Amie/Refresh is more interesting due to having Mini-Games, Super Training is also a good Mini-Game (unless you are play it for the Evolution Stones), specific Pokémon that are shown in the overworld while surfing, and the MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE IN THE POKéMMON FRANCHISE: You can sit down on benches, chairs and beds.

Moon has: No Battle Institute to test your team, SOS Battles is the most viable way to EV Training and its completly random, SOS Battles also is the only way to get HAs so good luck getting that Alolan Ninetales with Snow Warning without Poké Transporter!, Lag on Double Battles and Battle Royal (more than in Y and AS when 3D is activated), Refresh is only for pet and remove Status Effect after NPC Battle, Grinding is a real hell here because you can only battle once a day against Game Freak Morimoto and in that Restaurant in Hau'oli City and in the Pokémon League, most of the game is cutscenes about Lillie and her family, Poké Finder (the game's Mini-Game) is boring and getting 1,500,000 Points makes it more boring, starters are the worst competitively since Gen 5, Exclusive Z-Moves sound like a great idea but of the 11 Pokémon only 2 are viable, Customization is only restricted to Tropical Clothing when Kalos had different clothing options, and more things.

There are more things but this are tge ones that I remember the most.
>>
>meanwhile I inteded to reserve my judgement of gen6 until Zygardes game comes out

goddammit.
>>
>>33153108
And according to everybody in the world

Digimon>>>>>>pokeyman
>>
(played Y, M)

Graphics: battles look the same yet XY can manage 3D in single battles

Handholding & Difficulty:
XY: admittedly much easier, although a lot of the help was optional. Giving players Pokémon they can Mega because there weren't many others was an oversight. Relative personal freedom.
SM: offers optional trades for pokemon very op against the first 3 trails, mandatory "no you can't go there, or there, or there" "do exactly what we say and we'll let you do more things", difficult mostly because battles can go on forever, everything you do is tightly controlled, it's like hitting every red light on the way home; it needs to keep interrupting you so you don't feel lost. The premise of the game is that you're a new arrival and they're trying to give you the authentic experience but just like trying to make a documentary in Tajikistan, they make sure you don't go off their path.

Rivals & friends:
XY: second worst group of any gen, but they all offer a different thing and at least half aren't annoying: the one's you battle feel worth battling because they aren't just trying to have fun: they want to show they're better than you
SM: Hau doesn't really care about battling, sounds like a broken record and is depressingly optimistic, Lilly is afraid of pokemon, Gladion only shows up half way through and you can hardly ever fight.

Progression:
XY: You don't need HMs to complete the game except surf which they annoyingly give you Lapras for (optional). You do have to earn the right to find hidden areas of the game.
SM: no hidden areas of the game except part of Diglett cave, which no one wants to see more of. They only hand you ride pokemon when they've decided they're allowing you to go somewhere new. It's no different to opening a trial gate.

Looker:
XY: alright
SM: lame
>>
>>33154672

Region:
XY: Beautiful, lots of memorable areas e.g. pokeball factory, rich and poor castles, rock climbing, a better beach than SM, big circle city, windmill, big gem, stone henge, some places in the overworld had 3D, had selfie cameras all over the region, a couple of unfinished places like the train station. Diverse array of pokemon available all over the region.
SM: horrible, tarmac everywhere, garish colours, 2 tropical regions in a row, bad music, you have to hear HEEEYAMULADIERADAEH 1 million times, shitty camera that can almost never be used, gives you fake instagram friends who all love you because you're such a special child. Cock teases you with a large other world to explore. Very linear routes that happen to bend around a lot. Lots of unfinished buildings "The Jurassic Park Project Has Now Begun!". Same pokemon appear commonly throughout the region Pellipper and Dugtrio were painful to encounter already.

They both have some bad roadblocks. "A blackout" during the day was never a good reason to stop you walking somewhere and they didn't bother to remove the other people walking past. SM has that god damn woman whose pokemon is sniffing the ground and won't let anyone past for a long time. Tell me you wouldn't fart in her dogs face.

Evil Team:
XY: Politically relevant, thematically fashionable and elitist, evil team leader twist reveal (they know the planet will run out of resources unless people die), they're basically hipster Apple fanboys
SM: Lame, stereotype reliant, cut and pasted into the region (only team since rocket that doesn't fit the region's theme (except maybe rocket due because Kanto is industrialised)), the fact they own a town doesn't rally seem to be a problem, second evil team reveal was predictable because there was no other reason to spend so long at Aether
>>
>>33154677

Side features:
XY introduced a lot of new side features. SM mostly copied XY's new ones and ignored some of the good ones (improved GTS, box, WT, Amie were copied; PSS, safari, super training weren't). SM's new features are either bad (plaza), stuff that help competitive (e.g. hyper training which has no minigame for stones, which is better for ordinary players), or Pelago being the good exception (maybe multi-battle).
How much new isn't that important in the long term, but it strongly affects people's impressions of the games at the time they're new.
>>
>>33153108
I don't want to go in depth now, so I'll just give you some quick bullet points.

>Alola has the worst level design of any region by a fucking mile, Kalos is only marginally better and Hoenn is far better
>The story in SM is extremely prominent and yet has no good writing to back it up, it fucking sucks
>New features in SM are shit (Festival Plaza, Poké Finder and others)

Doesn't help that SM are the 20th anniversary titles are should have been way more than they are. I had every right to expect them to blow everything else we've had out of the water (and I did), but all Game Freak did was shoehorn some retarded story into a theme park tour.
>>
>>33154689

Trials & Gyms
XY: standard, yet improved hardware give cooler gyms: vine swinging, rock climbing,
SM: an excuse to fit 3 battles in followed by a totem. Go to the spot where the pokemon is, walk through here looking for whatever it doesn't matter it's a one way bendy route and you'll be interrupted when they decide they want a pokemon / team skull goon to attack you. Kiawe's would have been great comic relief if there'd been any tension or challenge to relieve you from. It just seemed like "psyche", you didn't think we'd make you think did you?

This is the game where they put the effectiveness on screen and you can't remove it. I stuck paper on my screen so I couldn't see. Learning the type chart partly by trial and error was one of the best things about playing Pokemon for the first time. It was a discovery.

"you can look it up online" yeah let those people do that. They'll learn it better, the more effort they have to put in to finding it out.
>>
no tutors, no blisseys base and remove the PSS is the reason why ORAS > SM

and battle spot still shit on both
>>
>>33154772
Kinda agree with them all.
>>
>>33154677
Team skull is "realistic" in a way, they're supposed to represent porverty among young people in a touristic region that's often idealized by most people. It's the same with other touristic countries, I'm less familiar with Hawaii but I wouldn't be surprised if the situation there was kind of like that.

Also, you're making me want to start another playthrough of X even though I have other games to finish, it's frustrating.
>>
>>33153108
Because they retard genwunners when gen 8 comes they will say gen 7 was better
>>
>>33157966
Just because gen 7 is shit doesn't mean gen 1 isn't also shit
>>
I really enjoyed Sun and Moon, but its post-game is downright painful. Mechanics-wise, it's mostly a step down, which is disappointing.

SOS battles take forever and don't always work even with an Orb. The removal of Super Training makes me miss hordes even more.

Taking away O-Powers was bad enough, but Festival Plaza being a chore made it worse. There's also no consistent way to make money beyond the Elite Four.

I agree with the others about customization being better in XY. Dye shops are also a pain and take up space that could be used for more competitively useful/farming spots.

There isn't a convenient path for breeding right out the door after dropping off your pokemon.

And while this isn't post-game, a lot of the Alola pokedex mons are slow, so random encounters seem more tedious.

XY and ORAS were far from perfect, but there are things I miss, as with every gen.
>>
SM is one step forward and two backwards.

Not allowing Move Tutors was a bad move, since XY and ORAS had it and were used by many players. This same with Mega Stones - In ORAS ans XY we could just find them or like in ORAS - win in a contest. In SM we have some Mega Stones which are barely usable.

Even if customization for male protag in XY was a joke, it was really good for female. In SM it sucks all over the way and I really miss elegant and cute dresses from XY (and orange paint for hair.)

ORAS and XY had a rich Pokedex with really usable Pokemon, even if XY sometimes had too much of them in one route. SM Pokemon are basically slow, not even usable (fuck you GF for ruining Silvally) and repetitive in enounters (Ratatta, Wingull, Pelipper). Also broken encounter rates my ass.

Removing DexNav or PokeRadar was a fucking stupid idea. Removing soaring and mirage spots are the things that I miss mostly from ORAS. We don't even got Blissey bases or Audino spots as a quick way to gain exp points. Grinding near Battle Tree is slow and tedious.

Even if I enjoyed ORAS story and went through XY with "meh" expression SM made me suffer the most. As I said before, it's not my or my character story. It's Lillie journey, watching her how she "m-much changes" and handholding throughout a whole game. In previous games it was at least shown that I am a hero and protagonist.

There are more things that made me like Gen 6 overall more, but I don't remember then now.
>>
Maby they would rather got there dick sucked by Latias than Tapu Koko.
>>
File: 1423448223492.png (1MB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
1423448223492.png
1MB, 768x768px
>>33154672
>>33154677
>people are actually resorting to defending XY's shitty characters and region so they have more reasons to shit on SM
>>
>>33153108
XY were empty and short lived, had bland and one-dimensional rivals, nothing to do after beating the League bar three legendaries and a 20 minute mission and nothing to offer its own mascots. The PSS was amazing though.

ORAS on the other hand had an entirely new story chapter added to it after the League, a whopping 26 legendaries to catch, much better handling of the characters (going so far as to openly ship May & Brendan and to subtly hint that Wally would have died from his sickness had the player not become his friend), brought back Contests, treated its mascots with respect and even made a previously event-exclusive mythical obtainable in-game. Not to mention the DexNav, one of the best features to ever have graced the franchise, in addition to the PSS which it also had.

Sun and Moon went back to XY's formula, by not giving a single fuck about the legendaries or the story. However, there was still more effort in both than in XY, and their handling of characters were also better. They removed both the PSS and the DexNav, and replaced the former with an inferior version of Gen 5's Join Avenue which they completely and entirely butchered, and the latter with the utterly useless Island Scan. Pelago is nice, but there isn't much else to be remembered going forward. Hopefully USM will change that.

In my opinion, I rank these games, from best to worst; ORAS > SM > XY. That is not to say ORAS is particularly amazing, it is just merely better than XY and SM.
>>
File: IMG_0823.jpg (75KB, 656x393px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0823.jpg
75KB, 656x393px
>>33158105
XY's characters are burning dumpster fires of shit, yes. But the region had some fucking beautiful areas, that you cannot deny.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.