[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Give me a good reason why the water was so bad.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

File: jb.png (11KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
jb.png
11KB, 240x160px
Give me a good reason why the water was so bad.
>>
The only things you encountered were tentacool and wingull. The dive areas weren't much better.
>>
>>33142123
Seeing the same mons over and over again gets a bit tiresome. Also, the encounter rate in water was the same as the one in grass, making the entire eastern half of Hoenn a super-dungeon of sorts.
>>
There's no variety of wild Pokemon on the water, it's all Wingull, Tentacool or their evolutions. The fact that there are a lot of trainers, who also happen to have the same few Pokemon, and the large size of the water routes, makes it probably the most boring part of any Pokemon game, ever.

Route 105 to Dewford, then to Slateport while surfing is alright. It's not too long, just about ok. But the part from Lilycove to Mossdeep, and from Mossdeep to whatever fucking place is just shit.

Definitely too much water.
>>
at least surfing was fast
>>
File: 1499199369653.jpg (220KB, 2006x2157px) Image search: [Google]
1499199369653.jpg
220KB, 2006x2157px
>>33142123
Most of this forum was underage, so they didn't know what repels were, nor what they did.
>>
File: 1493789074254.jpg (213KB, 1080x1068px) Image search: [Google]
1493789074254.jpg
213KB, 1080x1068px
>>33142156
>having to stock up on repels just so you dont have to endure a tedious onslaught of the same shitmons for hours
Man I played the game when it first came out and that shit pissed me off then and it still pisses me off now. Also water levels are always a shit
>>
>>33142123
it is literally half the region.

Hoenn has 17 towns (or something like that)

5 towns are completely surrounded by water

another 2 have one side leading into the ocean
>>
With RSE? Pretty barren routes with little of interest going on. ORAS? Autistic screeching about Pokémon variety when anyone sane or who wants to try and eke "difficulty" out of this series is going to be blasting repels whenever they aren't looking for a specific wild Pokémon anyways.
>>
Boring to traverse.
Only encounter Tentacool and Wingull.
Levels don't scale so they don't even give good exp.
Surf music sucks.
>>
>>33142123
I'd avoid them since they are just boring. No variety in pokemon except for when you go underwater.
>>
>>33142123
Pelipper used Protect!
>>
>>33142156
Repels help with traversing the area, sure, but the fact remains that it's boring.
>>
>>33142137
While I totally agree more variety would have helped, I feel like it's perfectly acceptable to have the second "half" of the game be harder/more taxing to go through with no items.
You can fly away at any time. You literally can't get stranded like you could in a cave of that size. The trainer levels aren't a problem and you can literally fly away at any point to stock potions and repels.
>>
>>33142137
>the encounter rate in water was the same as the one in grass
It's not though, it's 1/255, which is as low as it can go.
>>
>>33142308
That technically isn't true. It's in the 1% range but the actual number is 4.
>>
File: land and sea.png (1MB, 1107x720px) Image search: [Google]
land and sea.png
1MB, 1107x720px
>>33142123
It's symbolic.
>>
>>33142123
Surfing speed is fast, repels solves the annoying Tentacool/Wingull problem, and Dive is hella awesome even if underutilized. The water routes was perfectly fine as long as (You) aren't retarded. It takes no time getting from Lilycove to let's say the League when using repels.
>>
>>33142324
>The volcano and mossdeep count as the opposite because of the magma/aqua plot
Heh. Neat
>>
File: 1498555828883.jpg (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1498555828883.jpg
6KB, 200x200px
>>33142123
Poor distribution. Wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't tentacool and wingull 100% of the time. ORAS fixes this a little bit but it's still a problem.
>>
>>33142177
Having a pokemon be in more than half the routes in the game is a valid complaint, and also an isse that people had with SM.
Speaking of which, someone at Gamefreak loves Wingull/Pelliper. In every game that it isn't found in postgame, except for BW2 and XY (and even with XY its a horde encounter), it's found in a shitton of routes.
>>
File: 072Tentacool.png (333KB, 869x869px) Image search: [Google]
072Tentacool.png
333KB, 869x869px
>>33142123
>>
>>33142123
The only bad thing about the water was that the pokemon diversity was ass.
>>
File: 1486867330874.jpg (134KB, 1280x605px) Image search: [Google]
1486867330874.jpg
134KB, 1280x605px
>>33142123
I dont mind it that much, but as others have pointed out the poke distribution is shit. I feel that the biggest issue is how clumped up a lot of the water sections are. Hoenn made 5th grader me feel like I was exploring a really unique land compared to the first two gens. I imagined the distant sound of the sea drifting in through the deeper regions of the petalburg woods, the glistening sea-horizon my character would see as I ran down from the denser jungles and along the coastal cliffside towards the safari range, and so on. And then I got to what felt like this huge chunk of ocean island trotting. Having never done the abandoned ship area my first few runs, the later part of the game felt very samey and bland. somehow splitting it up (maybe via riverways splitting up routes along the game or some such?) would have lessened its impact.

As a sidenote, after having just returned from two months on the big island of hawaii, i found it humorous that hoenn seems to capture the feeling on the land moreso than Sun/moon.
>>
Pokemon variety sucks. But outside that people love to exaggerate what they don't like.
For the first and only time in the franchise, you really felt like you were lost in an actual big sea. Hoenn is adventure on every sense.
>>
>>33142123
they kind of fixed in ORAS decreasing the encounter rate and speeding the thing using sharpedo but not being able to use the rod was unnecessary

like many anons said the pokemon distribution was shit but this is also a thing that affected underwater routes and all hoenn
>>
>>33142177
RSE had some of the most varied route and town themes in the series, the routes to Fallorarbor, Fortee, and Lilycove were majestic
>>
RSE had the most satisfying sounding super effective hit noise in the series. These rotues were fun to blast through
>>
>>33144475
first half is groudon's domain, second half is kyogre's
>>
>>33142123
becasue IGN said so and we blindly follow other people's ideas
>>
>>33142123
It kept too much of the water and didn't give enough to Alola.
>>
>>33142123
i've hated wingull and tentacool ever since. and the surf music got on my nerves.

though, its interesting. when i first played alpha sapphire and got to that part, it was extremely tolerable. borderline pleasant now that you can loop repels.
>>
>>33142123
Because this board is sinnohkids who hate anything they didn't grow up with.
>>
>>33146795
10/10
>>
1) One movement speed while on water (Surfing). Land has 3+ movement speeds (Walk, Run, Bike)
2) Awful pokemon variety (Wingull and Tentacool only)
3) No where is safe in the water. At least on land you had avoidable wild encounters by not going in the grass.
4) Repetitive visuals. Water levels are: The same water and rock tiles: The Game. Land has so many different graphical variations.
>>
>>33146957
But you also have
>white rock
>surfing with constant sandbars and rocks
.open ocean
>underwater
>rip current

It's still relatively repetative, but they were still the best water levels in pokemon
>>
File: 1500165233479.png (891KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1500165233479.png
891KB, 1920x1080px
>>
I like it. There were a lot of hidden items, diving spots, various NPCs, and some dungeons/puzzles
>>
File: 585555000000000-00-500x500.jpg (30KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
585555000000000-00-500x500.jpg
30KB, 500x500px
>>33148194
>>
The Pokemon distribution sucks but other than that its fine

Its one of the things that makes Hoenn stand out and it makes it the most adventurous region to date (next to Sinnoh)
>>
There was fuckall to do in it, no content what so ever and no interesting areas to explore. Water routes are never fun in any Pokemon game, so when those encompass half the fucking region you can guess how fun it is
>>
>>33148355
this post is so horribly wrong it makes me wonder if you actually played the games
>>
>>33148359
And you can disprove none of it. Water routes are actual irredeemable shit, no exceptions.
>>
>>33148368
I can disprove all of it, actually. You really should play the games because Gamefreak went out of there way to make sure there was stuff to find around there.
>no content what so ever
There are items located everywhere, as well as trainers to fight. ORAS added Secret Base spots too (I think they were in Emerald as well) if you want to do that. So no, you're wrong here.
>no interesting areas to explore
The entire area to the left of Pacifidlog was interesting. Lots of trainers to fight, a few items to find, and the Sealed Chamber if you stuck around long enough. There were also Horsea/Seadra on the left if you wanted to try and grab Dragonscales. There's also the abandoned ship and that ice cave north of Mossdeep. Not sure if those completely count but you Surf to them.

Water routes are definitely fun. Lots of freedom in what to do. The issue in Hoenn is that there needs to be a better variety of mons to find. So there, I've disproved your asinine statements. There's content in the sea routes - items to find, trainers to battle - and there are a few interesting places to see.
>>
>>33148388
>Items everywhere
Those poke balls and repels on copy pasted 4 tile "islands" sure are interesting
>trainers to fight
There are trainers to fight in every pokemon game, there are also wild pokemon, this is not a good thing.
>Sealed Chamber if you stuck around long enough. There were also Horsea/Seadra on the left if you wanted to try and grab Dragonscales. There's also the abandoned ship and that ice cave north of Mossdeep. Not sure if those completely count but you Surf to them.
So a bunch of locations not on the water routes then. They're separate locations and they aren't shitted up by the bland boring blue tiles used over and over again with the odd rock blocking your path making you have to find away around for another aeon.
>>
>>33148400
>There are trainers to fight in every pokemon game, there are also wild pokemon, this is not a good thing.
So then what constitutes an interesting route with a lot of content in your opinion?
>So a bunch of locations not on the water routes then
They are on the water routes but if you want to complain about technicalities then be my guest.
>>
>>33148414
One that uses elevations and height differences, a range of tilesets, different environments and is non-restrictive. Water routes are samey and normally lack all these. The Abandoned Ship, Ice Caves, all have dry land
>>
>>33142156
I knew perfectly well what repels were which is why I know you only played the remakes meaning you didn't have the experience of constantly opening your bag every 250 steps, newbfag.
>>
>>33149751
Not all of us are whiny bitches who sperg out if we have to press a few buttons every now and then
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.