[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fake type retcons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

Been having fun with the retcon aspect that (with any halfway valid type) should be unavoidable in a "what if type X was added" scenario. Initially I was just contemplating one type idea at a time, but I figured that I've narrowed each of them down to distinct enough concepts that there wasn't any serious overlap between them, hence I decided to consider them all at once as well.

pic related is all currently existing PKMN with their types and my retcons of them.
(pic with only retcons coming in reply)

Some thoughts in regard to each speculative type:
-Aquatic
The main point of making this one was to split up the most common Water type (133 out of 802, in other words, every 6th PKMN is a Water type).
It sounds super silly and redundant at first, but hear me out.
Ever since the Tynamo-line (along with Stunfisk) got introduced, I've realized that being an aquatic creature does not have to equal being a Water type, and have hoped that we'd see more and more examples of non Water type fish and other aquatic creatures (Malamar is another line that comes to mind, but one could also count in some of the fossil-PKMN as well as ones like Crabrawler). The Tynamo-line is also the perfect example because it doesn't learn practically any Water moves.
Simialrly, the opposite holds true as well. Being a Water-type does not have to equal to being an aquatic creature. Meaning you can have Water PKMN that have Water slapped onto them as an element, like for example Suicune, Keldeo or Simipour.
So Aquatic as a type would on the defensive side be akin to some of the "species" types (Bug, Fairy, Ghost, Dragon..), including most fishes and sea-dwelling creatures, and on the offensive side it would be like a "skill" type (Flying, Fighting, Psy, Poison..), which would encompass being able to battle well in water (Aqua Jet) and general things like swimming up Waterfalls, Diving, or using body-parts more common in certain aquatic creatures (Crabhammer).
>>
File: only FAKE TYPES.png (880KB, 1200x2130px) Image search: [Google]
only FAKE TYPES.png
880KB, 1200x2130px
>>33118403

-Wind
similar case of redundancy here, as Flying currently covers any unflavored wind-concepts. But in addition to the literal wind-aspect of it, the Wind type as I envisioned it would also include any strong association with agility (hence also including PKMN like Arcanine, Dodrio, Ninjask, the beasts), as well as using means of affecting the opponent at a distance, either by spreading spores/harmful particles or gases etc. (hence Weezing, Aromatisse, some of the butterflies/moths). Moves would include things like Gust, Extremespeed, Hurricane, Razor Wind, Air Slash, Smokescreen, Defog etc, while also having the gimmick of there being a diverse selection of dual-type moves with other types (Leaf Storm, Fire Spin, Whirlpool, Blizzard, Ominous/Silver/Fairy wind, etc.)

-Plastic
this is the type I'm least satisfied about the name, but I just can't come up with something better that doesn't do a worse job at representing the type.
It's basically everything that seems at least partially unnatural (but not in a mystical, paranormal way, while also being distinct from alloys/machinery), as well as amorphous creatures (irregular/changing body structures) and being able to grow new limbs.
I started doing this one as a joke, but was legitimately surprised in how big and diverse the potential application was.
Moves are less clear-cut and would certainly need new ones (not like Fairy relied on retconning old moves either anyway), but some examples would be Substitute, Recycle, Minimize, Self-Destruct, Bind/Constrict, Thrash, Tri-Attack..

-Sound
probably the most popular fake type out there. Just felt like I needed to include it, since I came across plenty of PKMN that were screaming for it, at least as much as any of the other fake types above. The concept is straightforward and already has some presence in game mechanics.
>>
File: type chart 4.png (225KB, 1350x1350px) Image search: [Google]
type chart 4.png
225KB, 1350x1350px
>>33118403

-Cosmic
Feel like this one is the least elegant to implement, due to anything relatable more often than not already being covered by Psychic (resulting in lots of Psy/Cosmic combos, as well as the most cases where a non-Normal type has to be taken away for it). But fairly obvious theme: aliens, space in general, moon-related things, as well as astrological association and wish making etc.

I'll list some particular PKMN that I had trouble deciding how to retcon their type combination:
-Shiftry. Clear wind association. It's a prankster demon. Evolves with a Leaf stone.
-Flygon. As if not being able to be Bug or Flying wasn't unfortunate already, it could also be a candidate for Wind (causing sandstorms) and Sound (mostly due to Vibrava).
-Voltorb. Electric/Sound or Electric/Plastic?
-Scrafty. Getting rid of secondary Fighting for Plastic likely too significant. (did the same with Kommo-o, but feels way more justified there)
-Seismitoad.
-Noivern.
-Yanmega, Wind or Sound?

Also, a modified/expanded type chart >pic related
>>
>>33118403
>FLAGNG
>>
I went through the entire dex list without reading your explanations first and I wish I could charge you for the time I wasted. This is easily the worst I've seen fake types implemented since Fairy was announced, every time I thought I figured out the rules between Aquatic/Water or Wind/Flying or what the fuck Plastic was supposed to be I'd find something that contradicted it. Some of these make no sense at all, such as Sound Maractus, Not-Steel Kartana, and VENOMoth losing its Poison typing. There are a fuckton more of these but I seriously can't be arsed to spend any more time on this. The opportunity cost for your level of autism is literally painful to think about and I do not feel you deserved to have fun making this
>>
It's certainly interesting, but like >>33118567, there's some things that jumped out at me...

>Tynamo line
>Don't live anywhere near water
>Aquatic

>Bruxish
>Not Aquatic?

>Legendary Beasts, Absol, Vanillite line, Spritzee line
>Wind?
This is a hard one, as I guess I can see where some (Arcanine, Pheromosa, etc) are Wind, if you use it as high speed. Still, I don't think it fits very well.

>Regi trio
>Plastic?
These are supposed to be made from their namesake elements -- pure types are fine

>Lickitung line, Remoraid line, Wynaut line, Whismur line, Plusle/Minun, Buizel line, Scraggy line, Solosis line, Swirlix line, Helioptile line, Clauncher line, Xurkitree
>Plastic?
Stumped me on these. I mean, Scraggy/Scrafty's "pants" are just loose skin, there's nothing unnatural about Remoraid/Octillery, etc.

>Snorlax, Bellossom, Taillow line, Woobat line
>Sound?
I mean, I guess I can kind of see Snorlax (snoring/Sleep Talk), even though it's a pretty big stretch, but the others don't seem like they have enough traits to justify the typing.

>Lumineon, Dusknoir, Alolmomola
>Cosmic?
I mean, Lumineon getting a Cosmic typing would at least differentiate it a bit, but other than its HGSS dex entry, I don't think its bioluminescence would justify a Cosmic addition. Dusknoir, I can kinda see, but it seems more connected to the spirit realm rather than space-y stuff, meaning Ghost fits it fine as-is. Alomomola just throws me off completely.

Regardless, I still always enjoy reading stuff like this, so thanks!
>>
>>33118567

Sorry about that anon

I appreciate that you wrote down some of the examples bothering you

can you tell me whether you have the same issues when trying to figure out the rules between rock/ground for example? my point being that types aren't following "rules" strictly by any means and there is many cases of types that seem like anomalies on official pokemon.
>>
I understand most of ideas and new types fits well to almost all of them. I'm very curious about moves and fact that some of them will be dual typed.

wouldn't Plastic work well named Syntetic?
and Bug/Flying typing just stopped existing xD
>>
>>33119004
>xD
Kill yourself.
>>
Plastic would also include things that merely seem or resemble things that are otherwise normally manmade (ie explouds tubes, scraftys gangster skin, buizels floats..).

>>33118567
>VENOMoth losing its Poison typing
indeed, changing that one back

>Sound Maractus
figured since it's based on maracas (I would have made Ludicolo Sound as well for similar reason, if it wasn't for both of its types being essential as is)

>non-Steel Kartana
since it is primarily Grass type I thought the Steel-type was less curcial to its design (doesn't learn a single Steel type on its own). Would dropping Grass for Wind make more sense or should I just drop this one? (I mean it's fast AF, floats mid-air due to being a lightweight origami, and has some moves that'd turn Wind-type with the retcon)

>>33118768
>>Tynamo line
>>Don't live anywhere near water
>>Aquatic
Eelektrik can be found in Seaside Cave in BW2, but yes, it's not an optimal example, just the closest we've got so far.

>>Bruxish
>>Not Aquatic?
oh, thanks, no idea how I missed it.

>>Legendary Beasts, Absol, Vanillite line, Spritzee line
>>Wind?

Beasts=they run around the region and have stormclouds on their backs (also, with Lugia swapping to Wind while Ho-oh is Flying, makes them have secondary type of their trios swapped, which I thought would be neat)

Absol: I actually intended to make it Wind only in its Mega evolution "When this Pokémon whips the winglike fur on its back as though beating its wings, it sends an intimidating aura flying at its opponents.". I'll fix that, thanks.

Vanillite: I'd argue for at least the final stage, considering it's the snowstorm PKMN, and everything about it is going on about violent blizzards it creates

Aromatisse: affecting opponents with scents that are spread to them through the air.. hence my logic was the same as for all those moths using a plethora of spore moves etc.

- out of text, will reply to rest
>>
File: 1494387048621.jpg (11KB, 293x301px) Image search: [Google]
1494387048621.jpg
11KB, 293x301px
>norrk type
>>
>>33118527
>NORRK
>>
>>33119088
I'd probably remove the Aquatic typing from the Tynamo line completely.

Not sure how I feel about some of your voice for Plastic, even after your explanation. Exploud's pipes just seem to be an organ (body organ, no pun intended) which it can create the noises, and likewise with Scraggy/Scrafty -- it's just skin. I'd probably narrow the typing down to those which can't be explained as body features. I guess if you want to keep Exploud part Plastic, you can (since it's a little less natural than Scraggy/Scrafty), but you could probably condense the type and it'd be for the better.

The beasts make more sense after your explanation, but I'm still not sold on the whole agility = Wind type (Arcanine, Dodio, etc). Like you said, at least the beasts have clouds on their backs and are decently related to weather phenomena. Flavor wise, I suppose it's okay, but gameplay wise, I don't see why Arcanine should share weaknesses with Jumpluff or Aromatisse just because it's agile.
>>
>>33118768

>>Regi trio
>>Plastic?

Plastic type in their case relates to them being "golems" which usually means a manmade creature made of inanimate material, as well as to their bodies being...well I'm not sure amorphous is the correct word for what I'm looking for.

>Remoraid
They are supposed to resemble a gun and a tank...that's all I got.

>Wynaut
it's a punching bag

>Buizel
floatation rings

>Whismur
its a walking soundsystem

>Solosis
I know just "cells" is anything but natural.. but the PKMN instantly reminds of a lab-setting....maybe Solosis is the key to finding a better name for the type.

>Clauncher
guns/blasters

>plusle/minun
out of all the pika-clones, they look the most like toys rather than rodents

>>Bellossom, Taillow line, Woobat line
Woobat-line, apart from being bats (echolocation) and swoobat having those fused ears, their dex entries talk about emitting ultrasonic waves and frequencies.

I'll remove Swallow actually.

With Bellossom it's more the dance-theme than anything literally sound-related. Sound type wouldn't necessarily mean the PKMN has to produce sound, reacting to sound would also fall within its range

>Lumineon, Alolmomola
>Cosmic?
Getting rid of Alomomola, reconsidering Dusknoir, but Lumineon I'd leave be, simply for uniqueness sake
>>
>>33119215
I appreciate you taking time to respond to each Pokemon brought up.

I understand your Plastic typing a bit more now, though I'm not completely sure I agree 100%. Jusr because a Pokemon resembles something synthetic (Remoraid/Wynaut/Clauncher/Plusle/Minun), doesn't mean it's made of, or uses something synthetic to attack/defend. This holds true to some canon typings -- consider the countless Pokemon resembling dragons which AREN'T Dragon type, or Florges, which appears to fuse with the flower it held in prior forms but remains pure-Fairy.

Plusle and Minun resembling toys, for example, doesn't mean they ARE made of plastic, use plastic/something synthetic to attack, etc.

I will say again, however, that I love the fact you took the time to do all of this, and I enjoy and appreciate you taking the time to have a little back-and-forth regarding your typing.
>>
>>33119004
>wouldn't Plastic work well named Syntetic?

Snythetic would even more strictly imply artificial origin, and the type isn't exclusively about pokemon that are completely artificial.

>and Bug/Flying typing just stopped existing
well the fact that they fly is very superficial in most fo the cases anyway. All it did for most of those weak bugs was make them die to Stealth Rock. They're never about flying in the skies or attacking from above or anything...they just have some bugwings.

There is still Mothim, Vespiquen though, so they didn't completely vanish.

>>33119182
Yeah, Scrafty getting dropped at this point.

Could split Wind into Storm and Gas type, but that'd probably be even more of a mess
>>
>>33119116
>ELYSE
>>
>>33119401
In-universe, Steel is used as the default "hard" type.

Regardless, it (and Xerneas) weren't retyped considering they aren't one of the 5 "new" types.
>>
What about renaming "Plastic" to "Fictile" -- it wouldn't cover some of your picks (Tangela, Remoraid, etc), but going by multiple definitions (capable of being molded; plastic; formed of a moldable substance, such as clay or earth; made of manufactured, treated compounds), it could fit things like the Regi trio, Grimer/Muk, etc.

Plus, it has the benefit of being a pretty archaic word, so you could avoid the mental associations of using the word plastic.
>>
>>33119442
Sorry to trigger you, pal. I'm not OP, so I was just assuming why he didn't retype those two.

Dialga has those weird spikes and shit which look pretty metallic to me. Diancie has diamonds incorporated throughout its body, while Dialga has a diamond in its chest. Steel is fine.
>>
>>33119488
>>33119475

Thanks, we might be getting closer, give me more.
>>
>>33119501

Rubber/Gummy type?

>Goomy-line joines the retcon
>>
>>33119501
Manmade
Artificial
Construct
Imitation

There's really no good word which encompasses what you've included in the type.

I say Fictile probably works best because the word itself is a wtf, just like the type itself.
>>
>>33119501

Polymer
Elastic
>>
>>33119607
Are you one of those sperglords who thinks Luxray should be Electric/Dark or Florges should be Fairy/Grass, too?
>>
>>33119584
Decent suggestions.

Marine and Astral are both better. Synthetic doesn't completely cover the Pokemon included. What's synthetic about Tangela or Buizel? Synthetic would be a great name of the Pokemon included were edited.

Sound's color is fine.
>>
>>33118403
>let's make this children's game unnecessarily complex because I don't like how many Pokemon are water and poison
This thread is stupid.
>>
>>33119651
t. typical 4chan autist

>you're an idiot because you don't agree with me
>>
>>33119690
>Your headcanon doesn't matter. Diamonds = Rocks. Look at Diance you moron.
>If you're going to infect the typings with your own idiotic autism, might as well fix what you can.
I was simply explaining why I thought Dialga's typing was fine, which is where I see I triggered you.
>>
I might as well rename Plastic directly to Trash

>>33119584
>Rename "Aquatic Type" to "Marine Type". Says what you're trying to say with an easier and more universally common word.
Best alternative for it so far. Also sounds way more elegant I'll give you that. However now we have the issue that it excludes all those freshwater fish and crustaceans.. any more ideas?

>Rename "Plastic Type" to "Synthetic Type". Means the same thing, gets the point across easier, and doesn't make you automatically think of water bottles and lego bricks.
Synthetic makes it sound like the creature has an artificial origin. While artificiality is a common sub-theme of this type, it's not the core of it (it shares that sub-theme with Steel as well), which I just remembered I should also have brought up earlier already.
Plastic would essentially be a counterpart to Steel.
Just as Steel, despite being a manmade alloy, naturally occurs in PKMN biology, Plastic would as well. Whereas Steel is sturdy and fixed, Plastic is the complete opposite.

Either way, I need to rethink the whole selection for this type at this point.

>Sound Type is fine. But change the color of its icon please.
It was the one where I didn't have an immediate color in mind.. suggestions? Something light and less saturated?

>>33119661
>Fossil type
fossil PKMN pretty much have Rock as an integral part of their design, it's not just tacked on because they are resurrected from fossils. So you'd be stripping a huge group of underrepresented Rock Pokemon of said type, while making the whole fossil-thing make less sense, since it would be telling you what happened to them after they died rather than what they are and what powers they have.
>Cyber type
besides Porygon, there is nothing to retcon, which means the type fails to meet the conditions of plausibility. That would be acceptable if the type would have potential of spawning a plethora of new PKMN to make up for the lack of it so far.
>>
>>33119673
Franchise started with 15 types, and got to 18 by now. Speculating about adding 5 more is crossing the line. Really?

And there is no talk of reduction of the amount of Poison types anywhere.
>>
>>33119870

grey is taking it too close to Steel. I did mean for Plastic to absolutely be about organic materials though.

>also, in regards to fossil type, the "resurrected" forms we see in game are not accurate to their original extant forms

what makes you think that? they're cloned from DNA recovered from the fossils. I always understood it as, because they are part Rock and have sturdy bodyparts like shells/armors/bones their DNA is preserved well enough for them to be able to be resurrected in the first place.
>>
File: plastic3.png (88KB, 240x1440px) Image search: [Google]
plastic3.png
88KB, 240x1440px
Here's a list of existing moves to be retconned to the "Plastic" I had in mind:
-Bide
-Thrash
-Bind
-Constrict
-Vice Grip
-Flail
-Defense Curl
-Pain Split
-Wrap
-Substitute
-Minimize
-Wring Out
-Camouflage
-Recycle
-Body Slam
-Gunk Shot
-Spit Up/Stockpile/Swallow
-Tri-Attack
-Self-Destruct
-Octazooka
-Crush Grip
-Conversion
-Transform

pic related: current selection
>>
>Plastic
What about Manmade type, or material type? Construct type?
>>
>>33118417
>Giving grass another weakness
Fuck off
>>
>>33120881

Good point. Changing.
>>
>>33121364
>Nah, Rock type is the byproduct of the cloning.

oh so that's why mewtwo is a rock type
>>
>>33121459
>>33121364

do you even know what the fuck cloning means?
>>
>>33121617

>being underage
>>
File: plastic type.png (174KB, 960x840px) Image search: [Google]
plastic type.png
174KB, 960x840px
>>
Just trash the type.
>>
File: types.png (15KB, 65x1169px) Image search: [Google]
types.png
15KB, 65x1169px
>>33118403
Literally more autistic than pic related.
>>
>>33123293
I would go that far.
>>
>>33123944
*wouldn't
>>
Just want to drop in and say that Crabrawler is based on a coconut crab, which is an exclusively land-based animal. If it wound up in the water it would drown. Just fyi.
>>
>>33118417
Interesting. I see that you've put a lot of effort into this.
So here's a Latin translation.
Cosmic: Magis (literally, "more greatly")
I already translated psychic as "Magnopere" (literally, "greatly"). So it's a natural progression
Cosmicus would literally mean mundane, so it's the wrong word.
Aquatic: Aquaticus.
Plastic: Factiticus (literally, "artificial").
Sound: Sonus
Wind: Ventus
>>
>>33124285
Pokemondb says:
>luego
>Latin for ‘lie dormant’
Clearly misspelled, and not a real Latin word.
Bulbapedia says:
> Lugeo (Latin for to lie dormant, alluding to the way Lugia lies at the bottom of the sea)
What "Lugeo" actually means:
>to mourn, lament, bewail, deplore (syn. ploro).
>to be in mourning, to wear mourning apparel (v. luctus):
What is said to be a translation for "lie dormant" by both Google Translate, and Lewis and Short's "A Latin Dictionary":
>Jaceo
Were they fucking drunk when they wrote this?
This is shit-tier investigating.
Either way, I have no idea of what to call Lugia in Latin.
>>
>>33124510
Though, the "deluge" theory seems to be a real possibility.
διωλύγιος (diolugios) means "enormous, immense". But I doubt there are any japs who even know ancient Greek.
Yes... Diluvium will do, until someone more familiar with moonspeak comes up with a better explanation of the name.
>>
>>33124726
Damn. It seems that among the names of Legendary Pokémon, the whole gamut is Japanese shit, heavily obscured.
>>
>>33124086

Thanks, dropping Crabrawler.
>>
>>33118403
How did you make the OP pic? I'd love a template.
>>
>>33118403
I hate it.
Only decent idea is Sound type and you still managed to put it on stuff that doesn't make sense like Snorlax.
>>
File: tWWnpGy.jpg (10KB, 613x247px) Image search: [Google]
tWWnpGy.jpg
10KB, 613x247px
>>33118409
>Reuniclus
>Plastic
>>
>>33126163

... lots of mouse abuse? Not sure what you're asking or what the template would consist of.
>>
>>33126232

see >>33121828

I've since shifted my concept of plastic almost fully towards "rubber blobs with tentacles", which makes Reuniclus one of the less anomalous examples in the selection.
>>
>>33124285
For what purpose?
>>
>>33126236
I thought maybe you had an Excel with the sprites pre-loaded on it or something
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.