[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ash throughout the years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13

>>
>>33083962
why did he go full paco during dp
>>
File: Ash is almost as dark as Mallow.png (2MB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Ash is almost as dark as Mallow.png
2MB, 1280x1440px
Yet his mom is still only slightly darker than Lillie
>>
god I hate AG's stupid droopy hair tips.
>>
>>33084050
Because DP was the end of the show being fun, and the worst season to date.
>>
>>33084341
Yet weirdly it had the best league. I really miss when Ash used his Oak'd Pokémon in his league battles, I understand the need for leagues where he only uses his new Pokémon (plus Pikachu) but Johto and Sinnoh's leagues had Ash put thought and strategy into his teams.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-07-15-41-46.png (468KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-07-15-41-46.png
468KB, 960x540px
>>33083962
But SM Ash isn't like that.
Is fucking cute!
>>
File: 1425251888158.jpg (55KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1425251888158.jpg
55KB, 400x400px
>>33084341
>and the worst season to date.
>>
>>33083962
Not even the fucking hat was safe from that shitshow of a movie.
>>
File: tadatrfd.png (75KB, 1038x876px) Image search: [Google]
tadatrfd.png
75KB, 1038x876px
>>33083962
We've all been so blind... How could we not figure out who his father is this whole time?!
>>
>>33084453
>Advance 2.0
>good
>>
>>33084453
Dawn's Piplup
>>
The Sun/Moon characters look almost identical to how they do in-game, the only major difference is Lillie getting the Serena treatment (being made shorter and younger-looking to match Ash).
>>
File: dp186.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dp186.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>we never are going to get a rival as good as paul
>>
>>33084341
>>33084485
>>33084508
You're all right. Looking back at DP001 again, the biggest mistake the show made was not keeping Dawn as the main character on a quest for badges and just writing Ash out of the show after Hoenn.

Until, of course, Ash pops up at the end in the Sinnoh League, having completed his Sinnoh journey off-screen.
>>
>>33083962
It's like the writers had a stroke after XY but recovered in time for the 20th Anniversary movie
>>
File: DBt8-p0VYAEaLQq.jpg (226KB, 952x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DBt8-p0VYAEaLQq.jpg
226KB, 952x1200px
>>33084546
Yeah the SM character designer is pretty good.
>>
DP is the best.
>>
>>33084116
His mom hasn't been living as an adventurer.
Homeboy is outside 24/7 of course he got tan
>>
>>33083962
XY is really the best design, but OS to DP had a great continuity in design. M20 is a nice blend between XY and OS's designs, BW for some reason looks younger than XY, and SM's design is just dog shit.
>>
>>33083962
am i the only one that thinks sm looks like an ugly scribbly abortion
>>
File: IMG_0883.jpg (83KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0883.jpg
83KB, 500x414px
>>33084341
>worst season to date
>>
>>33084694
That's not the character designer, that's one of the animators.
>>
>>33084341
The anime stopped having the leeway for fun halfway through Johto, when Pokemon became too massive to let it do whatever it wanted.
>>
>>33083962
remove BW and SM amine
>>
>>33084694
But needs to get fired for messing up Ash's image.
>>
>>33083962
Yikes. Which one doesn't belong.
>>
>>33083962
Reboot Ash's eyes are spooky.
>>
>>33083962
What they do to Ash's design really doesn't matter since the show is garbage for completely unrelated reasons.

If I had to comment on the art the only thing that truly annoys me about the new Ash design is how the symbol on his hat isn't on straight. That's not something that can be defended by saying "different art style", that's just lazy as fuck.
>>
>>33084412
I think people really exaggerate how many of Ash's Pokemon actually made an appearance in DP's league. The roundup episode where he re-meets a lot of them is great, but in the league itself I think you see less than 10 of his old Pokemon, and that's counting the 5-second cameo his Snorlax got.

Obviously that's better than having him go "lol i wont use my old Pokemon because reasons" to handwave putting any effort into the league though.
>>
>>33084549
is that drapion holding a charizard
holy shit i never though drapions were that huge
>>
>>33086608
that's a buizel anon
he didn't even bother to evolve it because bui's paws are cuter than floatzel ones :3
>>
>>33084549
I really like the thick-line "manga" style kinda art they used for the characters in DP.

The background art was total shit that season though. Like the league crowd in DP was literally a bunch of colored dots. That's some lazy ass shit if I've ever saw it.
>>
File: Ash_and_Palpitoad.png (765KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ash_and_Palpitoad.png
765KB, 1280x720px
>>33084341
I wouldn't say it's the worst, but DP and BW definitely felt a bit forgettable at times. Does anybody ever truly remember that Ash caught a Palpitoad? That poor thing hardly got any use
>>
>>33086792
I remember it solely because it's the one usage of Sludge Wave we've seen in the anime. And because it's Ash's most cucked pokemon by a long shot. It's basically what would happen if you took the antagonist of a one-off episode and pitted them against more important characters. If there's any previous team member that deserves redemption at a Pokemon League a la DP, it's this guy.
>>
DP > XY
>>
>>33084341
DP was the best season of the show though. It WAS the end of the show being fun though. BW was awful and XY was just kinda eh outside of some nice fights and wasted hype here and there.
>>
I so hope they'll quit SM style when Gen8 anime arrives.

Gen7 is the worst.
>>
>>33083962
BW and XY Ass are the best looking

Fight me if you say otherwise
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0gszVZK7rs

Anime should have ended here. I wouldn't even be upset if Ash still lost. This scene is just perfect.
>>
>>33089441
that's gay
>>
>>33084453
Summer my pal
>>
>>33083962
>we'll never have white ash again
>>
>>33086792
it was used only 4 times I think

>vs burgundy's stoutland
>vs some random trainer's darumakka, we didn't actually see this battle
>vs roxie's garbodor
>vs stephan's zebstrika

and that's it, NONE of those was memorable in the slightest

all I remember is that his signature move was hydropump and then oshawott learned it too, so there was no reason for ash to use palpitoad anymore
>>
>>33083962
>one of these things is not like the others
>>
File: download.jpg (18KB, 265x283px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
18KB, 265x283px
>>33083962
So where's the last one from? He looks a hell of a lot better than in S/M
>>
>>33084341
You watch Johto Journeys 50 episodes of filler and the Battle Frontier dub
Then come back to me and say Diamond and Pearl was shit
>>
>>33089791
He's from the 2017 movie. The greatest Ash.
>>
>>33089791
The recent movie. It's like a mix of Kanto and Kalos Ash, but looks more like the latter.
>>
>>33084428

This is a nice picture of Pikachu and Infernape
>>
File: 1500737152968.jpg (145KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1500737152968.jpg
145KB, 750x1000px
>>33084428
SM Ash is the most fun having Ash that's for sure
>>
>>33090087
Maybe he's having a lot of fun but he's destroyed whatever fun the anime had left.
>>
File: 1500692494481.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500692494481.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
>>33083962
Weh will Ass look normal again, goodness.

The SM anime is good and fun but I just can't get used to the shitty ass character design. I hope when Gen 8 rolls around he would've gone back to normal and we can all laugh it off as a bad weed period or something jeez
>>
I like all the subtle differences.
Typical Pocket Monsters Ash is traditionally drawn and animated.

Late Pocket Monsters Ash is digital, his colors are warmer, the lighting is more noticeable on his hair, and the bottom of his eyes are flattened (his eyes are a little bit wider as well). The lines become regulated and are no longer selectively thick like near the chin or his cheek squiggles. His nose is more upright.

Advanced Generation Ash has softer hair and goes back to having thinner eyes without rounding out the bottoms. He's also very slightly shorter looking at the neck. His nose has been rounded a bit.

Diamond & Pearl Ash is slightly taller than previous incarnations of Ash, his eyes are lengthened, the line work varies in thickness to give him a subtle sharpness, and his entire head is more vertical. His hair points out harder than in the original series with none of the loft of Advanced Generation, and his neck is rarely seen in full, giving the impression that it's slightly thicker. His nose is slightly thicker.

Best Wishes Ash's eyes are ovular all around with the exception of the flat bottoms, and no longer are the bottom of the outer sides outlined. The most obvious change are that his irises have been enlarged and are now noticeably brown. His eyes have also slightly shrunk vertically enough that his eyebrows are more visible than before and leaves his face with less real estate. His cheek squiggles are oh so slightly rounder, his ears are more properly detailed, his nose is drawn softer. His hair goes back to looking soft, but it's drawn with slightly round lines and keeps up rather than hanging down like AG Ash, leading to a more artificial look. He looks to roughly be the height of the original Ash, but with fuller features. Line work goes back to being consistent.
>>
>>33090434
XY Ash is far more lean than any other, and his features are sharper, as are the lines once again. His eyes are an evolution of BW Ash, now thinner towards the bottom and with very slightly thinner irises. His cheek squiggles are far smaller than any previous incarnations. His hair is more angular, and it now has volume and hangs above his ears. The shading is more all over the place. The shape of his jaw goes slightly inward to give him a sharper jawline. His neck appears longer and more angled. His nose is very slightly smaller than BW Ash.

SM makes huge style changes and is a whole other topic.

I choose you! Ash's colors are closer to the cooler colors of the original series before it went digital. There's more complex shading as you'll see by the ears and hair. His hair is actually far closer to DP Ash than it is original Ash, with his bangs being slightly longer and his sideburns moving further down. Shadows are closer to XY Ash (compare hats), and he has a similar leanness, though he isn't as angled. His irises/pupils are thinner than even original Ash. The pupils are tiny and the irises are visible, combining aspects of BW+ Ash with OG-DP Ash. The eyes themselves are round like BW Ash but curve towards the bottom like XY Ash. There's an intensity to them. His nose isn't as pointy as OG Ash. The line work varies, but it's much more subtle than previous incarnations.
>>
>>33090434
>>33090614
Overall thoughts on the design changes:
Late OG Ash was the first step towards "softening" Ash as a character and was clearly done in preparation for the next series. The flat bottom of the eyes removes some of the childishness from his design, but it also modernizes it since the cheeks/round eye bottoms are more part of a bygone era in animation style.

Attempts to "soften" Ash include late OG, AG, BW, and SM. Think of them as soft-reboot Ashes after he became an icon. SM Ash is more of a different beast entirely though.
Attempts to "sharpen" Ash (as in "make him cooler") include DP and XY.

I choose you! Ash is a mix of styles combining OG Ash with DP Ash and XY Ash.
AG Ash and DP Ash don't have white on their hats, because overwhelming white symbolizes naivety and innocence which is associated with being the sole protagonist. May and Dawn were also protagonists in their series, and were both mentioned in the opening blurbs to their respective series.
BW Ash goes back to being the primary protagonist, and is noticeably more naive than AG and DP Ash. The intro doesn't mention Iris and Cilan, so this can be seen as a regression.
XY Ash has white on his hat, but it's not overwhelming. He's the protagonist moreso than in AG and DP, but he's not as naive as the original series or BW.

OG Ash: Naive kid going on a grand journey filled with growth and life experiences
Late OG Ash: Plasticizing that kid
AG Ash: Stuck between protagonist and supporting character
DP Ash: Maturing AG Ash into more of a leader
BW Ash: Regressed Ash, but still plasticized
XY Ash: DP Ash in more of a protagonist role
SM Ash: Goofball
I choose you! Ash: OG Ash with elements of XY Ash, a little bit of plastic but not as much as previous iterations
>>
>>33084474
B R O W N
>>
File: Double KEK to U my friend.gif (3MB, 700x285px) Image search: [Google]
Double KEK to U my friend.gif
3MB, 700x285px
>>33084549
>prick with no character development
>let alone a personality
>good
>>
>>33092895
i bet you liked alain
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.