[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokémon Anime: Best Wishes vs. Sun & Moon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: BWSManimecomparison.png (900KB, 671x866px) Image search: [Google]
BWSManimecomparison.png
900KB, 671x866px
Coming from fans, these two series are considered the least favorite/worst in the anime.

I want to know people's honest opinions between the two. What are the pros and cons for each series that you have? Is there one version of Ash you like better? If so, explain.
>>
I haven't watched SM yet, but the only thing I liked about Best Wishes was Ash having a rotating team
>>
Best Wishes was dumb and shitty and tried to be a reboot and failed and it wasn't funny or actiony.
Sun & Moon is fun, Mao is cute, the setting is developed and fleshed out, Pikachu shows a real personailty again, all his Pokemon have distinct personalities actually, Lillie is cute, characters die and it wasn't just a random character of the day either, there are funny faces, Suiren is cute, and Ash has a personality again and is fun to watch. Not as great as his OS self but closer than it's been in a while.
>>
SM is a fucking mess so far. I think BW was better. It may (hopefully) change tho.
>>
>>33059030
This.
>>
BW was okay at first then the Rocket vs Plasma episode was cancelled and it started slowly going down hill, though I think it picked up with the Meoletta arc with Team Rocket was good, then the League happened and everything after that was a wreck. S&M has been good so far and has potential to be really great it's just it's very different and many of the older fans understandably don't like that.
>>
>>33058910
BW was awful even for Pokemon standards, aside from the N arc which was not that bad-ish. Meanwhile SM is plainly and simply boring and uneventful, which I consider to be even worse. It tries and fails to be a SoL, and just ends up as Filler: The Series (even moreso than the PokeAni standard).
>>
File: 1498519273932.png (108KB, 178x306px) Image search: [Google]
1498519273932.png
108KB, 178x306px
I actually like the SM series. I tried watching every season of the Pokemon anime, but I couldn't get past the 15-25 episode mark on each one besides the first three series I watched in full as a kid. Subs now, mind you.

SM actually captured my interest. The art style has a charm to it that previous seasons lacked, and Ash/Satoshi and his Pikachu don't have a drone-like lack of personality. He behaves like you would expect of a 10 year old, and the comedy elements (yes, including the funny faces) actually gets me to laugh sometimes. This series is really good to wind down with.

I honestly can't wait until the subs catch up. They're lagging behind quite a bit and I've heard the 2nd Kahuna makes an appearance.
>>
>>33059030
>characters die
Wait what ?
>>
>>33059606
A Stoutland died of natural causes, one that was important to Litten's character.
>>
I've been watching Pokemon since 2001 (yep, that autistic) and SM is the second series I've dropped mid-run. So far it seems I'll just binge-watch it during another, better series, like I did with BW during XY.
>>
>>33059606
Stoutland dies, well it's never said that it died but its hinted enough that it's obvious it died without causing the parents to complain because their children are too young to learn about death. Honestly, it's one of my favourite episodes of Pokemon I've ever watched and I've pretty much all of them from Kanto to S&M.
>>
>>33059652
Shit, I saw the first episode featuring Litten and Stoutland but I wasn't expecting it to fucking die.
Especially because I don't ever recall the anime having a Pokemon actually dying ()
>>
I think a good chunk of Black and White's bad quality is due to stuff like that one team plasma episode that went unaired making them retcon stuff, causing the whole thing to get weaker. I don't think it would've been the best with the stuff that got cut added, but its badness certainly wouldn't have stood out as much. Animation's the best part, honestly, I feel it even rivals XY's in places. SM's art style is suspect and there's often jarring differences in quality between certain clips, like there's an inconsistent skill level amongst the drawing staff. SM's fights have been pretty weak, too. SM's comedy would be more passable if it wasn't the main focus, but for the focus they've seem to place on it, it leaves something to be desired.

BW is bad because the content generally isn't interesting and they went for quantity over quality with stuff like all the one-off characters and Ash's team of many pokemon. Think of it like a pretty tour guide that takes you on a timely and destination-filled tour of the northeastern United States, but misses a bunch of key spots in favor of less memorable or interesting destinations.

SM is just a plain old filler fiesta that tries to take the journey slow like a slice of life anime and tide you over with waifu stuff and comedy relief, but is just plain shallow. It's like going on a tour in hawaii to visit some location you've heard good things about and are excited to visit, but your strange-looking tour guide fills the trip with awkward moments and uses "relaxing and taking the journey slow and easy" as an excuse to stop the vehicle constantly and look at non-attractions for a while, leaving you unsure of when you'll see the stuff in the travel brochure, and if you'll enjoy it after what it took to get there.

I think SM's better(though that might not be a fair comparison with how much ground SM has left to cover), but I personally prefer BW because comedy's subjective and SM's doesn't do it for me.
>>
File: Pokemon SM Kiawe.jpg (37KB, 638x359px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon SM Kiawe.jpg
37KB, 638x359px
>>33058910
i only watched one episode of BW, which was the one were team rocket was kidnapping audinos by using mind control soundwaves, i really liked how smart TR was in that episode, they weren't after the main gang, but rather they were minding their own business and being what they are, criminals, once the main gang found them and defeat them instead of just waiting there to get blasted off, they just pulled some jetpacks and flew away.
i've read that they're like this through the entire bw series, which sounds great, after all this time you would expect them to realize that this pikachu is not worth their time.

Now i've been watching SM since the beginning and if it wasn't for the weird artstyle and overuse of silly gags and faces, it would be a totally ok series.
Like, there are some episodes where the gags work, like in one episode where Ash lost his Z crystal and he was scared that kiawe would get mad at him for not having care with something so important, and you see kiawe appears behind ash with this demon like face and it's just funny, but then there's another episodes, like the last one where lana and ash are talking about going for fishing and ash makes like 7 silly faces in less than 5 minutes and it's really cringy bad
overall i still think SM has a lot of potential but they need to seriously tone down the retarded gags
>>
BW was fun when it wasn't taking itself too seriously. The Mighty Accelguard is one of the my favorite stand-alone episodes in the franchise. Its biggest problem is that it wasn't willing to commit to being a comedy like SM, so it was weighed down by shitty attempts at doing what past seasons did.
>>
>>33058910
BW was pretty fucking actively bad at times and definitely had the shittiest Ash, but at least it felt like it was going somewhere. SM is just boring.
>>
>>33060124
Pokemon has always done comedy pretty decently, and each series has had some really solid comedy episodes. SM's problem is when it tries using its own exclusive brand of comedy, which is not funny in the slightest.

That fisherman in the previous episode was funny as hell, and that's the kind of humor the series has always had.
>>
Neither. They're both shit.

At least SM has two-plus years to work with. That's the only potential saving grace it has. If it continues on its current course though, it will be worse than BW.
>>
They're hard to compare like that. BW did some really shitty things that actively made people mad, and there's several point during it where huge portions of viewers just plain ragequit and stopped watching until XY started. SM has yet to do something like that. It's just dull, boring and disappointing, and people generally give up on it once they grow tired of waiting for it to do anything interesting.

It's hard to say which is worse, but at least BW kept viewers more invested.
>>
BW tried too hard to mimic Kanto and failed miserably because it also copied all the BAD stuff from the Kanto series (eg: Ash catching several pokemon but only using the unevolved starters and pikachu).
BW's shitty animation and their decision to make Ash a dumbass during battles (much like Kanto, except it was no longer acceptable since he had been through 4 regions already) made the action completely terrible.

SM at least is trying to be different, it's also got better art and animation than BW so it's less of an eyesore
>>
>>33061394
>so it's less of an eyesore
Yes it has better animation but the artstyle is an abomination.
>>
File: 1492828147065.png (2MB, 2595x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492828147065.png
2MB, 2595x720px
>>33061453
only ash's face looks kinda bad, everyone else looks good (though they really need more detailed shading like in XY)

That being said, the backgrounds in SM are much more pleasant to look at
>>
>>33061504
James looks like shit too.
>>
File: Frond_Island.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Frond_Island.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>33061504
compare that to this
>>
>>33061516
"BW clouds" became a meme for a reason.
>>
>>33058910
BW was pure shit.
SM is kinda good, but it's going way too fast though the Akala trials.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.