[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Listen up - this is how you fix Pomemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

File: 1500341737504.jpg (19KB, 400x382px) Image search: [Google]
1500341737504.jpg
19KB, 400x382px
>graphics reverted to Gen 5 style in overworld, perhaps more advanced graphocs in battle
>always bird's eye view
>retcon megas, regional forms and z-moves
>very few cutscenes
>more difficult and complex level design; actual dungeons
>rival that actually wants to beat you, like Blu and Silver
>no more girl rivals; they don't work
>trainers have more Pokemon on their team
>Grass and Oce types buffed for God's sake
>>
>>33055762

Stopped at the first line.

Gen 5 has the worst overworld graphics in the franchise.
>>
>>33055762
Blue*
Ice*
>>
>>33055762
Only 2 - 3 of your choices here are actually decent. The rest would cripple sales and be seen as stupid by the world at large.
>>
>>33055770
That's wrong, but don't bother reading the rest of what he said.
>>
>>33055770
Then perhaps 4th or 3rd, then. I don't care, so long as they "downgrade" the graphics. Pokemon is meant to have simple, top-down graphics like most RPGs. Making the graphocs as advanced as they are in Sun and Moon only serves to make the game slow.
>>
>>33055772
My post is about how to make Pokemon gpod again. It does not concern business.
>>
>>33055779
I think it wouldn't make Pokémon good again AND I think it would be bad for business.
>>
>>33055787
Well, what's wrong with my ideas? I started this thread to discuss them.
>>
>>33055762
Everything you posted are things that people have been saying for years here. But since you dumped all those together chances are that everyone has a few they disagree with, and they will dismiss the rest of your post in favor of those two or three they disagree.
Regardless if it would be good business wise, you are right.
>>
>>33055794
Well, for one thing, I think it's a bad idea to remove existing alt-forms. Even if you don't like them, other people might. I really like A-Muk, for example, and think it's a really awesome addition. If you removed them, then ANYONE who liked those mons would be pretty upset.

Also, imo, rivals don't have to exclusively be competitive like Silver and Blue - there's nothing explicitly wrong with having different rivals, and I welcome the variety.

Those are just two points, but they're pretty important ones. I don't even disagree with all of your points, but if they were all put into place, I feel like Pokémon as a whole would suffer (even if, for example tougher and more complex level design and bosses would be a good thing - all of them together would drag the series down imo)

Also >>33055809 has merit too
>>
>retcon megas, regional forms

STopped reading there
>>
We do not need to go back to sprites in any way. Thats a downgrade in technology
>>
>>33055823
I guess regional forms are okay and a fine thing. I retract wanting to retcon them. I do think Blue and Silver were the best rivals, though. They were quintessentially rivalish and gave a good challenge. Crystal, in particular, had great character development.
>>
>>33055845
Barry was the best rival. He was froendly but still actually tried to beat you and took you seriously while not being a dick
>>
>>33055845
There's no problem with personally liking certain rivals over another. I just think it's a bit gratuitous to imply it wouldn't be good without [ one thing ] to the point that it needs to be replicated in every single game. I mean, people actually complain about that happening, with examples being the overabundance of Normal/Flying regional birds, bipedal Fire starters, and Kanto pandering. Again, no harm in having a personal preference, but if the games were tailored specifically to your tastes - especially with such specificity as to what you stated in the OP - I find it a bit difficult to believe that Pokémon would benefit from it as a whole.
>>
>>33055762
>graphics reverted to Gen 5 style in overworld, perhaps more advanced graphocs in battle
haha no
>always bird's eye view
Irrelevant
retcon content
>very few cutscenes
nothing wrong with cutscenes
not above gen 1 and 2
>rival that actually wants to beat you, like Blu and Silver
yeah it hasn't been done before
>no more girl rivals; they don't work
Irrelevant
They got enough
>Grass and Oce types buffed for God's sake
no

Pretty sure you are just a nostalgia faggot.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
>>33055876
>nothing wrong with cutscenes
>>
>>33055762
>retcon megas

The easiest way to spot underage.
>>
>>33055881
https://youtube.com/watch?v=sGXIR2dlktc

https://youtube.com/watch?v=r9ExIKYZd6o

keep in mind these two vids are 5 years apart so their context has changed a bit
>>
>>33055897
>liking megas

And that's an even easier way to spot an underage.
>>33055925
???
>>
>>33055936
They're videos about cutscenes in game design in response to a comment claiming there're things inherently wrongnwith cutscenes.

Together, about 15 mins of watching, it details many pros and cons of cutscenes and how they should be properly handled. If these concepts and ideas were applied to the Pokémon games, I'm sure we'd see a mixed bag of good and bad choices, but it illustrates that the idea that cutscenes are a bad choice for every situation is incorrect.
>>
>>33055961
Please remove your nametag and tripcode. Nobody takes a tripfag seriously.
>>
>>33055925
>Extra Credits
How about you neck yourself?
>>
>>33055986
Then just disregard what I linked then, not that important.

>>33056009
What's wrong with EC? It's an excellent source for analyzing video game design and decisions imo.
>>
>>33056028
>Extra Credit
>an excellent source for analyzing video game design and decisions
So this is...the power....of a tripfag's shit taste...

Woah.....
>>
>>33056028
If their history stuff is anything to go by the only they are an excellent source of is misinformation, half-assed researches and botched videos.
>>
>>33056043
Well I use it as a resource to touch base and analyze my games and whether it's proper or not I enjoy doing it. It's always nice to see it from a new perspective or think about the reasoning behind certain decisions.

>>33056044
I hate their Extra History series, actually. I remember watching the first episode of it and deciding it wasn't for me, way back in like 2012. I can't say anything of its veracity, though.
>>
I'll stand behind regional forms only if they do them right.

If I'm going to see a pidgey in just about every region, at least give it the Arbok treatment and give it slightly new design or markings to reflect it.

Regional forms doesn't mean it HAS to have a new typing. Maybe a new move or different moves via breeding.

Hell I'd be happy if I could just breed a Charizard and Blastoise and get a Charmander with new color scheme or something.
>>
>>33055762
>>always bird's eye view
>>very few cutscenes
>>more difficult and complex level design; actual dungeons
>>rival that actually wants to beat you, like Blu and Silver
>>trainers have more Pokemon on their team
>>Grass and Oce types buffed for God's sake

Fixed without the bs
>>
>>33055762
I 98% agree with you.
Just girl rivals I think may work and grass doesn't need buffs.
The remaining parts are frawless.
>>
>>33055762
>>retcon megas, regional forms and z-moves

No. There is nothing wrong with these and no reason to remove them. I don't know why this board has such a hate boner for Megas/Z-Moves
>>
>>33055762
>new/current gen mons are placed front and center
>new mons get higher encounter rates than the old mons
>MORE alternate forms
>double/triple/gimmick battles get more spotlight
>bring back the game corner, even if all we get is a bunch of minigames
>gyms/bosses that aren't monotype steamrolls
>gyms/bosses get megas & Z-moves
>buff shitmons somehow

Done.
DexNav and Soaring would be nice too.
>>
>>33055762
>graphics reverted to Gen 5 style in overworld, perhaps more advanced graphics in battle
I'd prefer better graphics all around. They just need to fix the existing models. Like the flying ones and whatnot.
>always bird's eye view
Why? That could make entering some buildings in cities or other locations more difficult as well, and limit creative town designs. The camera's fine as it is.
I agree with certain megas, but I would leave regular evolutions for the guys who need it, like Mawile. Regional forms are awful, and z-moves will be gone in the next gen anyhow.
>rival that actually wants to beat you, like Blue and Silver
>Grass and ice types buffed for God's sake
Sounds good.
>no more girl rivals
lol what? You a fag, man?
>>
>>33055762

They're already firmly established in every part of the franchise, they can't be retconned away.
>>
>>33055779
but the problem is that if you don't take business into account, ideas like these are meaningless unless you plan to pitch them to a fangame creator.
>>
>always bird's eye view
>not full camera control as should've been a thing ever since DP used 3D environments
>>
>>33055762
Trash tier post, senpai.

They need to completely break the mold of their current formula. Since they like dual game releases so much, they could make one in the classic style while the other is a new spin on things, and include all new Pokemon throughout both, and if they use a different battling system, give the option to use the older one for cross-compatibility.

But they won't.
>>
>>33058161
>while the other is a new spin on things

We have spin-off games for this
>>
>>33058170
Bitch, mystery dungeon and puzzle game 4032 aren't mainline. They should actually TRY with expanding the original idea, not sprinkle new gimmicks in the same boring formula every couple of years.
>>
>>33058198

Why should they? People buy Pokemon because they like it the way it is.

Change is only good when it's necessary. Changing things for the sake of changing them is bad.
>>
>>33055762
>Graphics reverted to worst in series for overworld.
>stupid camera angle
>remove some of the most popular additions (I mean, I only like the regional forms, but the others are undeniably popular. even if I think megas were a mistake)
>removing cutscenes isn't a bad idea. or make them skippable. either way.
>level design/dungeons are a fair point.
>I'd go one further - better character design all round. Gen VII was better, but XY had the worst in the series.
>nigga, that's just dumb. a well written girl rival would work, they just haven't done one. I'd take a well written girl over hau or the gen VI abortions anyday.
>that's fair. remember the 4-pokemon Kalos elite 4? we all enjoyed that soooooooo much.
>again, not unreasonable.

you've got some decent points, but the rest is full of shit.
>>
>>33058216
Their world has so much potential, you can't help but want to see it explored. If they did a proper spin-off game around it instead of a different world (mystery dungeon, conquest, rangers), maybe I wouldn't have this itch in the first place.

But as it stands, I for one, am sick of the same tired formula, and I know I'm not the only one.
>>
>>33056793
They're cheap gimmicks whose only purpose is to bait players and imitate what other similar franchises of the genre had been doing for years, taking a shit all over what made the world of pokemon unique and differentiated them from the rest of similar games.
Plus most of them have amazingly shit designs with a few exceptions here and there.
>>
>>33058461
>imitate what other similar franchises of the genre had been doing for years

[citation needed]
>>
>>33055762
>Grass and Ice types buffed for God's sake
Just these and add Bug to the buff list, it needs it more than Ice.
>>
>>33057961
>double/triple/gimmick battles get more spotlight
I really really want this, at least for doubles, there are so many moves that only work on doubles and so many others that are way more useful at doubles and it's also the official competitive format yet they're mostly absent from the single player.
>>
>>33055775
>2017
>simple, top-down graphics like most RPGs
RPG Maker shit doesn't count.
>>
File: breaking_news.jpg (210KB, 698x422px) Image search: [Google]
breaking_news.jpg
210KB, 698x422px
>>
File: IMG_1391.jpg (23KB, 381x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1391.jpg
23KB, 381x250px
>>33055762
Here's how you actually do it

>Move games to the switch
>Back to the sprite work, but more advanced
>Moving pokemon sprites brought back
>Multiple rivals (That actually want to beat you)
>A open world for you to explore
>Number of Pokémon in party increases to eight
>Level cap to 110
>Dungeons with actual skill needed
>Gyms removed, kahuna esq system put in
>Ice types boosted
>Fairy type removed
>Steel buffed
>Evil team actually SUCCEEDS in their plot, but a twist happens
>Music composed by Amon tobin and 4hero
>Bicycles return, but ride pokemon as well
>Legendarys appear at the end of the game
>>
File: Worm-Bait-Fishing-300x200.jpg (13KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Worm-Bait-Fishing-300x200.jpg
13KB, 300x200px
>>33058568
>Steel buffed
>>
>>33058580
Slightly. Not to the fullest extent, because, as I said, fairy is REMOVED
>>
File: 137593505136.jpg (14KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
137593505136.jpg
14KB, 240x320px
>>33058568
>>
Here's my simple solution:
>fire everyone from gamefreak
>hire competent coders
>hire people that won't push out beta/unfinished games
>hire people that realise adults also play this game and that they might want something more challenging
>>
>>33055762

Sell it to EA or Activision
>>
>>33058611
You can always do that, but here's the problem: they'll hire nu males to play the games and make them as shitty as possible
>>
>>33058593
No, never. Even with the fairy removed, steel is still broken. It was broken, even with dark and ghost resists, it is broken, and will be broken until GF starts to care about competitive.
>>
>>33058685
GF can give a shit about competitive. "Steel was broken". What the fuck are you smoking? They're slow anyway
>>
>>33058480
You seriously don't know anything about this genre outside pokemon?
>>
>>33058729
Not him but I've played most of the "recent" SMT, DQ and FF and also 7th Dragon, Bravely Default and Bravely Second and I haven't seen anything like megas, z-moves or regional variants in any of them so please, teach us about the RPG genre.
>>
>>33058568
>sprites
No
>>
>>33055762
I can understand megas and Z-moves, but retcon regional forms, really ?
>>
File: 1417120067135.png (110KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1417120067135.png
110KB, 600x600px
>>33058499
>needs it more than ice
nigga does GF make defensive bug types even tought they are an offensive type ? Well guees what GF does that to ice types they have only one resistence but 90% are defensive
>>
>>33060317
That's a problem with the specific pokemon, not the type itself, to fix them you'd either have to make ice a decent defensive type which would make it too strong if not changed offensively and if changed offensively then it'd lose what distinguishes it from other types and/or fuck offensive ice types over. I do agree Ice needs a defensive buff but I don't think it should be that big, I'm sorry but defensive ice types should stay fucked, just a little less fucked.
Bug, on the other hand, is shit offensively and defensively.
>>
>>33060430
Forgot to mention Ice also has a couple of really good ice-exclusive moves in Aurora Veil and Freeze Dry, Bug has Leech Life but it isn't even exclusive to bugs and has poor distribution even among the bug type itself.
>>
>>33060482
>what is quiver dance ?
>>
>>33060503
Forgot about it and it should totally be mentioned but again, poor distribution among the bug type itself and not even Bug exclusive.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.