[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asthetics pokemon vs digimon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 55

File: 491146_640px.jpg (38KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
491146_640px.jpg
38KB, 640x640px
I am not sure guys, you say digimon look terrible however I feel that isn't the case.

I don't know what pokemon fans deal with "naturalism" is,
>everything has to be found in nature
>where did they get those clothes
>oh that couldn't exist it's stupid
>too many spikes
>too edgy
>robots are stupid

These are MONSTERS, hence why they have MON in the name. Monsters can be robots, freaks, mutants, demons and amalgamations. They don't have to be exclusively stylized plants and animals....

>they are too human
Well, not every digimon can be recruited.
Some are outright enemies.

Also I have to say that in almost every case, when a digimon and pokemon are based off the same concept, the digimon almost always looks better in every case.

What are your sentiments on this /vp/ and why do pokemon fans hate pokemon and digimon with odd appearances.
>>
They have two completely different styles. I don't care about any of those specifics, I just enjoy the general feel of Pokemon's designs while not being a fan of Digimon's.
>>
>>33052497
Pokemon fans have an inflated ego, that's why.
>>
>>33052497
I dunno senpai, I just like what I like regardless of series origin
>>
>>33052514
What are you talking. Tons of people here shit on the new Pokemon games

Digimon hasn't crossed my mind in a decade. Don't flatter yourself think Pokemon fans give a shit about digimon or jealous.

Digimon is irrelevant. Brutally honest.
>>
"monster" doesn't mean they have to look like grotesque pieces of shit.

Digimon designs are terrible and often cluttered with a bunch of unnecessary shit slapped on. There's a reason why Pokemon designs are successful while Digimon is pretty much dead.
>>
File: Pichu_Color_Pikachu.png (54KB, 196x200px) Image search: [Google]
Pichu_Color_Pikachu.png
54KB, 196x200px
>>33052497
I like cute and more anime oriented artstyles desu.
>>
>>33052541
>>33052544
Give an example

Dead?
>They had a carddass in japan awhile ago for xros wars
>Two new series have come out in the last two years
>several new games as well

Pay attention white-wash.
>>
>>33052604
>in japan

you made my point for me.
>>
>>33052497
digimon design are objectively better than pokemon

Only fanboys believe that pokemon designs are good
>>
>>33052497
You're right about everything except
>monsters
>robots
pick one
>>
>>33052624
>>33052624
WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY MADE?
you made my point, white-washer

>>33052632
Give an example.
>>
>>33052497
Pokémon are cool like a realistic T-rex is cool. Digimon are cool like a cyborg T-rex with a jetpack and laser cannons is cool. They are two different types of cool.
>>
File: Gundramon_Bandai.jpg (65KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Gundramon_Bandai.jpg
65KB, 320x320px
Really?
>>
>>33052497
Pokémon: good family friendly designs
Digimon: maximum edge but comes with amazing designs
Yokai Watch: hit or miss, mostly miss
>>
I like a lot of Digimon designs, but I feel like they have very "90s" design sensibilities to them. People are right to point out that a lot of the designs are loud and busy, some are even sort of grotesque, and I don't think this jives well with the current (and I would argue increasingly boring and unimaginative) tendency toward minimalism and cleanliness.

Pic semi-related
>>
>blob
>blob with limbs
>cute animal
>bigger mean animal
>biggerer meaner animal with robot shit slapped on or suddenly has clothes
>literally a human wearing armor

there I just described 90% of digimon evolutionary lines. How creative. Alternatively you can also spaghetti the lines together and have shit evolve into other shit without any logical sense whatsoever because "LOL ITS JUST DATA SO IT DOESN'T HAVE TO MAKE SENSE XD"

>>33052675
>gun digimon
>LOL JUST TAKE A ROBOT DRAGON AND JUST SLAP A BUNCH OF GUNS ON IT XD

>gun pokemon
>vaguely make it shaped like a gun and give it a connection to another pokemon to build upon the concept even further

this is the difference between pokemon vs digimon designs. pokemon designs, while simple, are far more creative and subtle about their concepts while digimon just adds obnoxious shit for a cluttered ugly mess.
>>
File: FanBeemon.jpg (71KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
FanBeemon.jpg
71KB, 320x320px
>>33052497
I don't agree with the whole 'unnecessary shit slapped on' criticism of Digimon. However the non-humanoid monsters in Digimon (Whamon is a great example) are by-&-large covered in sinew & striated muscle, neither of which are done very well. While older Pokemon designs tended to place emphasis on shape, & newer Pokemon designs on colour, Digmon tends to focus on texture, & I think that often overshadows shape in the same way that colour does in a lot of the newer Pokemon (Emboar, for instance)

I still like a lot of Digimon designs, but they tend to be ones that are simpler in terms of texture, like Guilmon or Fanbeemon (however, notice how the shine & jaggedness of Fanbeemon's stinger draws you away from the rest of the body - place you finger over it & your eyes go back to looking at it more as a whole)
>>
>>33052647
>you made my point, white-washer
>white-washer

Are we really getting SJW's defending Digimon's decline in popularity outside of Japan?

If something goes from being popular/semi popular across the word to being semi successful within a single country, yes it qualifies as dying.

I'm also a Digimon fan, I'm just not delusional.

Jesus man...
>>
>>33052497
Champions and Rookies had the best design, I think Digimon would be a lot cooler if they stayed at that.
>>
File: Revolmon_Collectors_Rare_Card.jpg (52KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
Revolmon_Collectors_Rare_Card.jpg
52KB, 360x480px
>>33052737
nah that's I'd say 60 you also forget the failure evolutions and really strange ones...I.E. digitamamon, vademon, cherry mon... etc.

>gun digimon
This is more like it, Gundramon was really made as a joke enemy... Another thing that pokemon doesn't do either make joke monsters that aren't obtainable that you just fight..

>vaguely make it shaped like a gun
Stupid naturalistic shit

>connection to another pokemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yym8pHseUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY4YaRaWM-A

You don't say........

> creative and subtle
There is no room for subtlety here, it's a magical world with teleporters, alt dimensional beasts, 5000 iq fox dudes, and soul stealing carapaces. Crank it up a notch.
>>
>>33052770
it's not an sjw issue
it's more so

>Look at me I only watch what's on tv
>It's from a "foreign land" I guess it's too different

I mean there is some cool stuff with some cool designs and these people aren't realizing it.
>>
>>33052497
>you say digimon look terrible
What kind of manchildren would prefer the simplistic cartoon style of Pokemon over the more realistic proportionate and detailed style of digimon?
>>
File: Djt-4-079_front.jpg (143KB, 300x437px) Image search: [Google]
Djt-4-079_front.jpg
143KB, 300x437px
>>33052565
>anime oriented
hmmmmm.....You don't say...
>>
File: Togedemaru.png (465KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Togedemaru.png
465KB, 1280x1280px
>>33052737
>pokemon designs, while simple, are far more creative
lol, no
>>
>>33052849
>>>33052770 (You) #
>it's not an sjw issue
>it's more so
>>Look at me I only watch what's on tv
>>It's from a "foreign land" I guess it's too different
>I mean there is some cool stuff with some cool designs and these people aren't realizing it.

It's literally no longer something that's marketed at them. It's only in Japan for a reason, it's not being made for them.

Being upset at people because they don't like something that's not for them.

Why?
>>
File: 1498814776081.jpg (86KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1498814776081.jpg
86KB, 500x500px
>UBs are literal digimon tier designs
>this is still a debate
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (66KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
66KB, 320x320px
>>33052833
>nah that's I'd say 60
nope. it's 90%. The other 10% is spaghetti lines that make no sense.

>another gun digimon
DUDE JUST SLAP A GUN ON ITS CHEST LMAO
you're only proving my point.

>Stupid naturalistic shit
Is "naturalistic" another word for "actually appealing to look at?" then yeah it's naturalistic.

>You don't say........
Those don't build on the concept. It's just "DUDE COMBINE BECAUSE IT'S COOL XD"

>There is no room for subtlety here
Yes there is. The proof is that Pokemon one of the most successful franchises to ever exist while Digimon is dying.

>>33052907
lol, yes
>>
>>33052663
>They are two different types of cool.
This. It's all apples and oranges
>>
File: 1IxToqk[1].png (533KB, 847x1106px) Image search: [Google]
1IxToqk[1].png
533KB, 847x1106px
>>33052940
>>UBs are literal digimon tier designs

nope, you can tell they're still pokemon because they don't have grotesque details all over them and they still use limited color palettes.
>>
>>33052950
>digimon is dying
and yet it doesn't it keeps surviving after getting hit endlessly
meanwhile pokémon can't even take a hit and its highly succeptible to competitors like yokai watch

now think about it, digimon has survived without rehashing the same game for 20 years, can pokémon do that? when it dies, its gonna be it for the franchise
>>
I love how bringing up another franchise brings out the lurkers, because it's so coincidental. Like, what are the chances digimonfags have been siting in /vp/, waiting for a digimon thread to pop up for so long?
>>
>>33052940
UBs look nothing like a digimon
>>
File: lol.png (185KB, 770x445px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
185KB, 770x445px
>>33053054
LOL
O
L
>>
>>33053116
This is a rare occassion where you could actually get these 2 mixed up
>>
>>33053004
Your joking right? Even when yo Kai watch was beating Pokemon in Japan

X and y sold 4.3 million

Oras 2.8 million

In Japan

Tell me digimon sales?

Pokemon at its lowest of low popularity would still be more popular than digimon at its highest popularity
>>
>>33053139
that was exactly my point, digimon survives EVEN on low sales, how dense are you?
>>
>>33052950

>nope. it's 90%. The other 10% is spaghetti lines that make no sense.
Show me

>DUDE JUST SLAP A GUN ON ITS CHEST LMAO
it is a gun

>Is "naturalistic" another word for "actually appealing to look at?" then yeah it's naturalistic.
No, "it has to be possible irl to appease your austism

>Those don't build on the concept. It's just "DUDE COMBINE BECAUSE IT'S COOL XD"
It is cool

Stop being a little girl dude...
>>33052992
Detail is gross, k....
Everything has to look like it belongs in a picture book..
Also those are bad comparisons.

>>33053116
even still crysalamon looks better
>>
>>33053153
Any game can survive with low sells. It's all developers making the games. Making games that no cares about.

Pokemon do same easily. Also Selling the IP they could which would make way more than digimon
>>
>>33053179
Also you have to consider the fact that pokemon has nintendo's backing no mater what.

That's honestly why I think they had the success they did.

While digimon kinda got the short end of the stick with Bandai who's main focus was making toys, they sucked at making videogames in the 90's and they only recently got their shit together.
>>
File: Centalmon_Collectors_Rare_Card.jpg (46KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
Centalmon_Collectors_Rare_Card.jpg
46KB, 360x480px
Classic V-pet Digimon designs had a quality I can only describe as "calculated ugliness".
>Okay, so we'll make a digimon that's based on a centaur.
>But instead of a bow, it has a ray gun with prongs and tubes, growing out of its flesh.
>The left arm looks unbalanced now, so I'll add one pauldron held on with staples, and a shackle with a broken chain.
>Also let's give it bright purple chitinous Frieza plates over every large muscle. One of them has a piercing.
>I don't want to draw a face on it, so I'll draw an early medieval bucket helm with a single glowing eye.
>It's almost done, but something is missing... I know! Several pairs of exhaust pipes on its back like a a xenomorph. That makes sense.
>>
>>33052497

Wish digimon had been as popular as Pokémon, the fan translation for the 3ds game has been ongoing for 80000 ducking years and I know they're taking their time cause they translated the psp version but fuck I can't play psp games
>>
File: dorugreymon.png (789KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
dorugreymon.png
789KB, 1024x576px
>>33052497
I actually really like a lot of Digimon's designs. Some are more niche than others, sure, but unlike Pokemon they are supposed to be digital creatures, not those you'd expect to find in the natural world. So it makes sense that some are more inorganic looking.
>>
>>33052497
There's no thought put into the designs, just random shit tacked on. Can you give any practical explanation for those pipes in its face? And that's one of Digimon's tamer designs.
>>
File: 7c7.jpg (1MB, 2367x3161px) Image search: [Google]
7c7.jpg
1MB, 2367x3161px
Digiwaifus>>>>>Pokewaifus
>>
>>33054101
stop being a fur/minimalist ...
Idk maybe they are cooling pipes or they help him spout out water easily, not everything has to be simplistic dudes.

>>33054003
Are you like a little girl or something.
They are MONSTERS FOR GOD'S SAKE! Some of them are going to be ugly as sin, hence the muntant archtype.

Pokemon fans think everything has to be a cute and cuddly teddy bear or some shit.
>>
>>33054195
well yeah they're just generic sexy anime girls wearing weird armor types in digimon
>>
>>33054087
Now this is aesthetically pleasing to look at. Dragon mons are always done with more love and effort than the rest imo.

I think I know what the main complaint with Digimon is, their designs are like what all of you said. It's grotesque, too busy and it's got to many hunks of metal strapped on for no reason. I'd say that kind of thing only appeals to a very select crowd of edgy teens. Pokemons have friendlier designs that appeal to the general public. I've seen girls who favoured Pokemon over Digimon because of that same reason and I've also tried showing them something that they would like such as Angewomon and Lilymon. They didn't quite like them, but when I showed them a Sylveon on my phone they just went nuts and gushed over it.

I really guess it must be the designs of the mons.
>>
>>33054286
Nonsensical =/= complex
>>
>>33054195
But these are just normal sexy anime girls that you can find in almost anything at all.
>>
>>33054286
>Are you like a little girl or something.
I never said it was bad. I love calculated ugliness.
>>
File: BarrelDragon-JP-Anime-DM-NC.png (564KB, 624x467px) Image search: [Google]
BarrelDragon-JP-Anime-DM-NC.png
564KB, 624x467px
>>33052675
Even Yugioh isn't that bad.
>>
File: digi.jpg (18KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
digi.jpg
18KB, 320x320px
>>33052497
I think some top digimon designs are on par with top pokemon designs even given they're over the top.
the bad digimon designs are far worse than any pokemon though
pic related
>>
I think Digimon have details that makes analyzing their design more interesting; Pokémon are really simple in comparison

However, I feel like using a Pokemon much more than I feel like using a Digimon. Whenever I play a Digimon game, I feel like using only about 5% of the whole cast, because of how unapealling most of them are for the "take care of a monster" formula. Pokemon, on the other hand, has very few ugly Pokemon, making them look like toys but making them way more appealing
>>
File: Oyajitchi.png (85KB, 129x162px) Image search: [Google]
Oyajitchi.png
85KB, 129x162px
>>33054527
Don't you shit on mutant Oyajitchi.
>>
File: Timemon.jpg (167KB, 403x486px) Image search: [Google]
Timemon.jpg
167KB, 403x486px
>>33054527
BEFORE JOJO

AFTER JOJO
>>
My problem with Digimon is that there is a distinct lack of binding aesthetic. Often I can look at two different Digimon, if I had no idea beforehand that they were Digimon, I'd never guess both were.

I can look at the shittiest Pokemon design and still recognize it as a Pokemon.
>>
>>33054527
Anything that's weird bothers you doesn't it, it all has to fit in a perfect little package.
>>
Honestly Pokemon are easier to remember
Digimon have a shit ton of monsters and you can only recall your favorites and the Nostalgia ones from the the anime Post- Data Squard. Most of the are very Humanistic or very Machine/Edgy looking
>>
I haven't been much in touch with digimon since frontier, but I think the main "problem" with the mons designs it's something that many others here have already said: too much seemingly(code word) "non-sensical" details

Now this in itself it's not really all that bad, but from a design standpoint, you leave people not really knowing where to look, and makes them more difficult to remember, because you aren't seeing the overall silhouette
Now, funny enough, many digimons probably have very distinct silhouettes, some dare I say even forced to be unique like what happens with >>33052950 , but as people never see them, it's all for naught

Now Pokémon on the other hand, as >>33052754
said seems to focus more on shape and colour coding their mons than texturing them, which make them look simpler in comparison, but are also easier to remember for much longer, which is why people have it easier to remember early digimon stages and older designs (see guilmon, renamon, whamon, repamon, antylamon, leomon, beelzemon or even the trains) that fall into this

And I think some newer digimon designs try to use this "simpler shape and color coding technique"? At least with the main ones

Another flaw is that nowadays it's difficult to put an X-cross digimon and one of the original seasons together and say "yes, they're both digimons", as other mentioned already

I've always liked digimon designs because of all the details on their design, how many looked so ripped and the sense of texture put in them. Hell digimon is the embodiment of cool creatures with weapons strapled on them
But even back in the day, too many details drawed me back and made the designs look cluttered and unappealing
>>
File: f033.jpg (265KB, 2464x1632px) Image search: [Google]
f033.jpg
265KB, 2464x1632px
Yeah, a lot of digimon concepts are very surface level compared to Pokemon, but on some I give them a pass. The franchise basically started out as a tomogachi pet that you could battle. It wasn't until the anime that it was thought of as a Pokemon clone.
That tomogachi start meant a lot of designs began as very simple pixels on a toy screen. Some translations of that we're great, others not so much
>>
File: itmedia-tamagochiphoto.gif (29KB, 250x212px) Image search: [Google]
itmedia-tamagochiphoto.gif
29KB, 250x212px
>>33055697
>tomogachi
Why does everyone spell this wrong?
It's Tamagotchi.
>>
>>33055707
Sorry sensei, I didn't care enough to check
But now I know better, namaste
>>
Would anyone recommend any of the forum in games? I know there was a console one relatively recently that got some good reviews, was wondering if anyone here had played it
>>
Are people actually arguing this? I can't believe I'm playing the "both are good" card, but both design philosophies have positives and negatives, and fit within their world. In Digimon, you can get away with incredibly varied designs and over-the-top clutter because when they're over-the-top it means they're intentionally over-the-top, and when they're simple, they're intentionally simple. When you have a mon that's made of 100 different guns, it's because it's supposed to be a silly, imposing, ludicrous monster, with an excessive design. And people eat it up! People love Digimon and it's so much easier to believe all the creatures belong, so the only valuable metric is whether you think it looks cool/cute/whatever, not whether it makes sense. In Pokémon, the designs are a lot more constrained, and they have to feel relatively natural. When they don't - see Arceus and its trio, and Kyurem and its forms - there's controversy and annoyance. Pokémon has put itself into a box - but that's fine too! You have a LOT of *permutational* variety with Pokémon, where you have a list of a large amount of subsets (see: types) and apply them to another large amount of subsets (see: natural creatures, entities, phenomena, and ideas) and mix and mash them together until you find something that works and is appealing. They're approached completely differently, and that's completely ok.
>>
>>33052833
>Another thing that pokemon doesn't do either make joke monsters that aren't obtainable that you just fight.
How is that a good thing? Making unobtainable pokemon would literally go agaisnt the point of the game
>>
>>33055734
Forum in was supposed to be digimon. It was a weird ass autocorrect
>>
>>33052497
I agree with BrOP. Digimon fits the monster theme much better than Pokemon.
>>
>>33055744
Digimon World 4 (PS2/XBX/GCN) is a comfy, simple dungeon crawler with some GOAT music

Digimon World Dawn/Dusk (DS) is the best if you want a "Pokemon-like" experience. I spent more time on them than any main series Pokemon game.

Digimon Adventure: Anode/Cathode (WonderSwan) is an interesting SRPG. Nice change of pace from standard monster game format.

Digimon World Data Squad (PS2) is the game closest to the anime, and has some great gameplay.
>>
File: Tyranomon.jpg (43KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Tyranomon.jpg
43KB, 320x320px
How can anyone hate Tyrannomon?
>>
File: RustTyranomon.jpg (46KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
RustTyranomon.jpg
46KB, 320x320px
>>33056560
The entire Tyrannomon family is great.
>>
>>33052497
The naturalism thing i liked was completely dropped in gen 3 anyway so who even cares
>>
>>33055744
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth for PS4.
>>
File: 8373015634_c7ce22d2fb_z.jpg (161KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
8373015634_c7ce22d2fb_z.jpg
161KB, 612x612px
>>33052675
>>
>>33056560
Is there fanart of Tyrannomon fighting Rhydon?
>the first digimon designed is literally my mom's dinosaur but kawaii
>the first pokémon designed has a spinning drill so it's partly mechanical
>>
What I like about digimon is the huge variety of designs. We have pokemon-like designs(agumon, wormmon, Gatomon, palmon, patamon ecc) edgy stuff meant to look powerful(beelzemon, wargreymon, paildramon ecc ) waifus of all types, weird but terrifying designs (milleniummon) joke stuff like geckomon, toy-agumon and those literal shit digimon, slide evolutions similar to their preevos but with nice additions(digieggs), over the top stuff like metaldramon and simple yet powerful monsters like pixiemon. I really like digimon because of this refreshing variety and all the cool fusions/armors/variations. Yeah some of them are redundant and literal recolors but overall it has a great rooster
>>
>>33056752
Machinedramon, not metaldramon
>>
File: infermon_by_pinkgermy-d8gvcdi.png (221KB, 812x789px) Image search: [Google]
infermon_by_pinkgermy-d8gvcdi.png
221KB, 812x789px
>>33052497
Bad Digimon look fucking unbearable. I'd use an ugly Pokémon if it liked it, I can not bring myself to use an ugly Digimon in ANY game. Fortunately plenty of them look fucking great.

Although shit like
>>33054003
>>33052992
>>33054527

Aren't ugly DESIGNS. They're DESIGNED ugly. There's a huge fucking difference. The transformations in Akira are revolting. They aren't badly done.
>>
File: 1497366576961.jpg (152KB, 417x838px) Image search: [Google]
1497366576961.jpg
152KB, 417x838px
>>33056834
People forget that Pokémon is for children at heart, and that all Pokémon are meant to be loved and at unity with humans and all that comfy hippy shit.
Digimon are the bad guys as well as the heroes.
Yveltal, practically death itself, willingly joins you wether you like it or not.
There are Digimon who are fucking satan and have no interest in humans
>>
File: daemon.jpg (61KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
daemon.jpg
61KB, 320x320px
>>33056858
>There are Digimon who are fucking satan and have no interest in humans

Pic related, one of two literal Satan Digimon.
>>
>>33054195
That's a no. You know why?

Because even if the furry art is much bigger in terms of people who draw it, Pokemon still manages to make a ton of porn of 99% of female characters. Hell just look at how Lana's mom exploded in "popularity" after her reveal.

Meanwhile look at that shit. Lotusmon the fetish queen? Has like 10 pics in total.
>>
File: nostalgia.png (2MB, 960x1084px) Image search: [Google]
nostalgia.png
2MB, 960x1084px
>>33056877
Exactly. Posting Digimon you aren't supposed to like as a reason for Digimon being shit is like watching the Rob Zombie Halloween and going "WTF They ruined Micheal, why did he kill that innocent guy who liked him?"
>>
>>33056893
So does Mario. Wedding Dress Peach and Bowser had porn before the announce video had finished.
Mainstream = Porn
>>
>>33056915
The difference is that the ones making Mario porn focus on all.
Mario porn? Check.
Bowser porn? Check.
Wedding Dress Peach? Check.
Mario possessing people? Check.
Flail-hair rabbit chick? Chick.
Everything else? Check.

Digimon?
If it's not Renamon or one of the season 1 anime girls, nobody gives a shit.
>>
>>33056932
But that's not true. You're calculating volume. The mainstream game has more of everything. Digimon still has porn of everything, it's literally in the rule.
>>
>>33056896
To help clarify to people not well-versed in Digimon, every Digimon has a category of "Data", "Virus", or "Vaccine". They act as a sort of type triangle in some games, but they work best giving lore for the species. Data Digimon are neutral - they exist and serve a purpose. A lot of the "throw a gun on it" designs are here. Vaccine Digimon are those selected for a higher purpose - angels, chosen heroes, etc. A lot of the "human" designs are here. Virus Digimon are corrupted, distorted, or "wrong" in some way. They're flaws on the universe. Pretty much all of the deliberately ugly or offputting designs are here.
>>
>>33056940
You can't blame me for being this jaded when there's only 8 relevant Shiramine Nokia pictures.
>>
>>33056954
>Shiramine Nokia
Decent taste anon, but when you get into a game that never got massive outside of japan you have to accept half the porn is going to be obscure doujinshi artists.
There are worse fates.
>>
File: paildramon.gif (599KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
paildramon.gif
599KB, 250x187px
Amerifats don't like digimon because they missed out on GOAT OST.

>DUN DUN DUN DUN ratatatatatata DUNDUNDUNDUN
>>
>>33057030
RIP Kouji Wada
What do you see on your wings, after this endless dream in an empty world?
>>
Digimon is degeneracy, everyone who even remotely likes this shit (or Yo Kai) needs to be shot on the spot.
>>
File: behold-a-satan.jpg (81KB, 636x500px) Image search: [Google]
behold-a-satan.jpg
81KB, 636x500px
>>33056877
>>
File: 1498940574897.png (1MB, 1464x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1498940574897.png
1MB, 1464x1500px
>>33057185
>>
>>33057185
says the emotionally stunted manchild getting defensive over a game for children
>>
File: Garudamon_re.jpg (246KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Garudamon_re.jpg
246KB, 640x640px
Probably my favorite Digimon design. I don't care much for the actual digimon and its Tamer but the design I really love
>>
File: S9KPYEH.jpg (195KB, 1215x717px) Image search: [Google]
S9KPYEH.jpg
195KB, 1215x717px
>>33052643
>Cyborgs and robots aren't monsters

How do you justify this logic?
>>
>>33057300
>cyborgs and robots aren't monsters but vanilla ice cream and cupcakes are

Duh anon get outta my face
>>
Dumping all my Digimon hate images.
>>
>>33057323
Your daily reminder that incest with one main character is canon in Digimon.
>>
File: kek.png (150KB, 702x1040px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
150KB, 702x1040px
>>
>>33057327
For every Pokémon
For every Digimon
There exists a unique Pokémon of equal or greater aesthetic value than the Digimon
For all Digimon
For all Pokémon
So an injective function can be made between the Pokémon and Digimon, if we remove the recolored Digimon.
>>
People forget that the entire monster genre stems from JRPG monsters.

Digimon look like they could be enemies in an FF or SMT game, which they are supposed to. Pokémon are specifically supposed to look like animals, which is what initially set it apart from Dragon Quest Monsters and SMT.

So if you look at the designs of Digimon but think that Digimon and other monster games are descended from Pokémon, of course Digimon are going to look weird. That's like complaining that fucking Buck Rogers spaceships don't look as cool as Star Trek ships.
>>
>>33057344
>PS Vita owners
As expected, Sony Ponies have shit taste; they are butthurt that they don't have good first-party games.
>>
>>33053054
They look nothing like Pokemon either
>>
>>33057035
>when your country didn't replace the evolution song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFYFCe_kCNw
>>
>>33057355
Making fun of Digimon is like making fun of a retarded child: you feel guilty for doing it, because it's not fair. They couldn't fight back properly, because their fanbase is deservedly small.
But it is a legitimate comparison, and Digimon deserves to be ruthlessly mocked, in order that Game Freak doesn't repeat their errors.
>Power creep
>Illogical evolutionary lines
>Monmonmonmon
>THEY GET MORE WEAPONS
>No consistency between games
>>
File: kaiser.jpg (12KB, 355x333px) Image search: [Google]
kaiser.jpg
12KB, 355x333px
>33057412
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Power Creep
>>
>>33057327
Lol wut? I thought I knew more than the average anon about Digimon. Who was doing who?
>>
File: tekkamon.jpg (8KB, 184x115px) Image search: [Google]
tekkamon.jpg
8KB, 184x115px
>Digimon are basically living programs
>The recolors/redesigns are knock-off or pirated versions of popular programs
>>
>>33057382
>Name spelled out in spaguetti-western font
>Move called Desperado Attack
>It's also a fucking dragon-insect hybrid with machineguns

I feel like digimon is the biggest animated shitpost in history
>>
>>33057365
But cyber sleuth >gen6&7
Pokemon has been sucking for a while and gen 8 on switch is going to bring it back

>inb4 muh sales
>>
File: Relinquished-OW.png (74KB, 185x185px) Image search: [Google]
Relinquished-OW.png
74KB, 185x185px
The coolest monster designs can be found in Yu-Gi-Oh!
>>
>>33057678
>englosh more-cutscene heavy game with even shittier multiplayer
>superior
Nah. Only in graphics it towers over them.
>>
>>33057270
It was really cool when giant digimon battled in the cities like a kaiju movie, not even legendary pokemon ever reached that size.
>>
>>33057701
The game so much more fun the story of cyber sleuth>xySunMoon
It caters to more than just children and autistic man children
>>
>>33052497
I like both, I like Pokemon better and I do get the natural argument but I also like a large handful of Digimon for completely different reasons.
When I think of Pokemon i think of a species of animal, a super powered animal a monster of sorts but due to pokemons setting and context them being natural makes more sense than not as theycessentiakly replace the ecosystem.
With Digimon they aren't natural, they're digital beings hence it makes sense in that setting to be not as natural looking plus they tend to be more of a character than a species on top of thst.
>>
>>33057722
Yeah it caters to waifufags instead. And i love how i don't actually have to think except when facing named characters or Eaters.
I also love how there's even less postgame than XY or SM.

Amazing game.
>>
>>33057736
>less post game
>free dlc mission packs

Yea okay anon.. . your biased is showing
>>
File: 27754214_p.jpg (222KB, 1000x707px) Image search: [Google]
27754214_p.jpg
222KB, 1000x707px
>>33057713
I feel that Pokemon living alongside humans creates that kind of restraint. The biggest Pokemon so far is still Wailord, and it's only 47 feet long.
Meanwhile, I think Digimon living in a world separate from ours creates a lot more freedom design-wise. You can have these giant kaiju things kicking each other's ass and it's like "lol cool, thank goodness they're not in the real world, otherwise they'd be a legit threat". AND THEN they end up in the real world, and suddenly these giant Digimon go from just being cool to being legitimately terrifying.
>>
>Lillie
>Nokia

You can only pick one.
>>
>>33057754
Fuck now I remember watching that whole arc as a kid, the show went full dark mode with 666 hour of the beast and apocalypse references.
>>
>>33057746
>you unlock all of them through the game and only one after the game is over
>it's also fucking DLC that should've been in the game naturally, especially with the whole Dianamon fiasco
Sure thing, anon. "My" bias.
>>
>>33057762
I think that's part of why I liked Digimon more growing up: it wasn't afraid to scare the shit out of me. Nothing in Pokemon ever freaked me out like Digimon ever could.
>>
>>33057799
Pokemon hasn't had proper post game since gen 5... Pokemon is a multimillion dollar franchise digimon always has a shit budget.... What's pokemons excuse for being so shit?
>>
>>33057814
What's Digimon's excuse for being worse than the "so shit" franchise?
>>
>>33057814
>What's pokemons excuse for being so shit?
Because no matter how shitty the games get, how shitty the anime gets, how shitty the cards get, people will still buy it. For all of your complaints, YOU will still buy it.
>>
File: 1495555793119.gif (469KB, 512x807px) Image search: [Google]
1495555793119.gif
469KB, 512x807px
>scrolling through the thread

>Digimon fans:
>They're monsters that live in the digital world. They don't have to look "natural" as they can be anything.

>Pokemon fans:
>EVERYTHING MUST BE CUTE! ANYTHING THAT ISN'T CUTE IS EDGY!!!

Why are Pokemon fans so bad at design theory?
>>
>>33057809
>tfw edgymon turned out to be the best character in tamers
I always wanted justimon to get more screen time because I digged power rangers and kamen rider
>>
File: 1496759719425.gif (823KB, 268x300px) Image search: [Google]
1496759719425.gif
823KB, 268x300px
>>33057868
Because for a lot of Pokemon fans, Pokemon is the ONLY media they consume. Failing to experiment getting into anything else distorts your perspective on things like character design.

Meanwhile, Digimon doesn't have that huge of a hold on its fans, so Digimon fans are into other things too, not just Digimon. A broader view on media and how character design works allows them to realize "ok, so not everything has to look like WarGreymon to be cool".

Short version: Digimon fans are more nuanced, Pokemon fans tend to not be.
>>
>>33057868
I don't want cute designs only. Clever designs too, and Pokémon is full of this kind pf designs.
>>
File: Arceus_ruins_art.png (266KB, 410x455px) Image search: [Google]
Arceus_ruins_art.png
266KB, 410x455px
Pokémon follows the philosophy of Plato.
simplicity = perfection (at least less flaws).
>>
>>33057828
Nintendo's backing

>>33057952
There are people who only consume pokemon?? holyshit, that's horrible.

>>33057733
>>33057733
>looking plus they tend to be more of a character than a species on top of that.

That's one of the reasons I like them more in the first place. They are individuals not animal species.

There is only one omnimon per dimension excluding those variants which are one of a kind in that new game right?//

>>33057364
CORRECTAMUNDO someone gets it.
>>
>>33052514
Pokemon was such a huge phenomenon that it's become cancerous.
The monster collecting Genre is dying thanks to pokemon
>>
>>33052678
Fuck you, the only bad Youkai designs are the Cheeksqueak/cuttincheese designs
>>
>>33056893
>porn argument
2hu and even kancolle have at least ten times more porn that pokemon of almost all characters (yes, even including furfaggots) yet the latest are almost exclusively to japan
>>
>>33056896
i love how many bara digimons are there.
My dick is happy ;)
>>
I like Digimon's 90s comic book style, and how they meld mechanical parts into the bodies of some mons.

Pokemon has always had that right mix of cool and cute and usually mix more than one animal, concept, or item into their designs smoothly.
>>
>>33058615
Actually, Kancolle still has less than Pokemon does.

Touhou, however, you're correct on.
>>
>>33054195
Why tf is Lopmon there?
>>
>>33052940
>>33052992
>>33053054
Silly anons, UBs are literally Ben10 pandering, aliens, retarded cartoon looking proportions, slap in the Zygarde's forms that aren't 50% and you get the complete squad.

Celesteela, Nihilego and Kartana are pretty much the only one that can pass as special / legendary Pokemon and look good.
>>
>>33054195
hmmm why do you watch magical girls cartoons anon? are these sailor moon villains? i don't remember them being so edgy
>>
>>33058615
Ok but why say all this? The post was "digiwafus > pokewaifus".

And look at that, all Touhou girls from basically games but the first 3 get porn.
>>
>>33054195
imagine being so oversexualized that you lose all the attractiveness and become plain vulgar
>>
>>33052675
>/k/ designs a monster
It's beautiful
>>
>>33053116
pupitar would be a better example desu, but yeah
>>
>>33058199
Omnimon/Omegamon is a Royal Knight. While multiple could occur within a timeline, it's not likely to, and the general personality/ideals/etc. are encoded into its basic nature. Its counterparts, Chaosmon and Alphamon, are a lot more interesting IMO.
>>
>>33052541
You told the truth. Not Pokémon is a flop but it's fans stay saying Pokémon fans are bothered by it
>>
>>33053004
What kind of delusion
>>
>>33054003
You're missing the flame tail because reasons
>>
>>33052497
Digimon have an awful habit of overusing texture in their designs. Take this whale you posted for example, it looks like it started with a decent design but they just added veins and wrinkles until it looked gross and then frayed all the fins. It's not necessary, it doesn't add to the design, it's not realistic, it's not cool, it's just bad. So many Digimon fall into this trap and they're just gross to look at.
>>
>>33057878

And then you got Frontier instead.
>>
>>33057429

Edgy kid shitposts for the sake of shitposting, God forbid he actually can back up what he spews out. Just ignore.
>>
>>33054195
>digimon
those are literally just human anime sluts
>>
>>33060642
you sound like a little girl dude
>>
>>33054323
Plus Pokemon has always been more multiplayer-friendly. That's a huge deal for girls (note how the most popular 3DS games for girls are Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Mario Kart).
>>
>>33057429
>>33060694
https://www.reddit.com/r/digimon/comments/655jpf/incest_between_hikari_and_tai_confirmed_by_hosoda/
>>
>>33057429
>>33060694
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXw_5mcHLDg
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-18-22-53-28.png (499KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-18-22-53-28.png
499KB, 1440x2560px
>>33062504
>>33062517
There are people this autistic and impressionable that they will soak up an incest narrative this contrived and then dubiously claim it to be cannon. You are nuts anon
>>
File: tumblr_o4wu2daHg61tjuzjoo1_1280.jpg (126KB, 600x848px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4wu2daHg61tjuzjoo1_1280.jpg
126KB, 600x848px
>>33062504
>>33062517
That's never EVER been stated to be the official canon. If you want it to be, you either have a fetish for that shit or want something to piss on Digimon fans with. "DIGIMON FANS ARE INCESTUOUS DEGENERATES". I can see the shitposts now.
>>
>>33052513
how come the first response is the best one?
>>
>>33062692
>>33062667
for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVv-J-LXQU
>>
File: V Pet.jpg (338KB, 1600x1043px) Image search: [Google]
V Pet.jpg
338KB, 1600x1043px
>>33057323
>>
>>33063253
Wow.
Those are just...
>>
File: Orkrannomon.png (54KB, 197x200px) Image search: [Google]
Orkrannomon.png
54KB, 197x200px
>>33052497
Digimon designs come in a few flavors, most people take offence with at least one.
The two biggest complaints are
>They strapped a bunch of guns to the Champion!
and
>It's a cosplayer with lightsabers!
Personally, I love the former design style. I love all the guns and shit, it is a style I enjoy.
On the other hand, I do dislike the cosplayer style. I'm sure there's someone out there who likes them, but I just don't.
Now, one thing I DO consistently like about Digimon are "ugly" designs. Pokemon are generally all cutesy, or else "badass" dragons and shit. Digimon has similar things, sure, but it also has things that look positively repugnant, or genuinely scary looking monsters. And I love that. They are fucking monsters, why shouldn't a few be monstrous?
The closest things Pokemon has to Digimon in this way are the Ultra Beasts. They are genuinely unnerving, and aren't just the local wildlife.
>>
>>33054195
I can buy and enjoy Lilithmon's design, given what it is, but really Digimon has too many waifus.
These aren't monsters.
>>
>>33055736
Pokemon are literally the local wildlife. In Digimon, this extends to the Champion level.
Ultimates and above are not the local wildlife, they are, at closest, the freakishly mutated or armed wildlife.
This distinction seems lost on a lot of people. You don't just go outside and spot a herd of Metal Greymon.
>>
>>33052833
This literally Vivi with guns, please stop defending your shitty fandom
>>
>>33053116
Excuse me what
>>
>>33054195
I never understood why so many of them have their eyes covered. As a kid, that always bugged me.
>>
>>33064066
I don't think the point you raised and his point contradict eachother 2bh
>>
File: eaz4niC.jpg (982KB, 2611x1958px) Image search: [Google]
eaz4niC.jpg
982KB, 2611x1958px
>>33057688
Nah familia, that's smt you're thinking of
>>
>>33064116
I didn't intend for them to. I actually meant to support and extend his.
>>
>>33064132
I thought so but wanted to add that tidbit just in case, it seemed just a hair too ambiguous.
>>
File: fuck everything.jpg (50KB, 309x450px) Image search: [Google]
fuck everything.jpg
50KB, 309x450px
>>33057688
>>
File: Your first pimp.jpg (159KB, 698x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Your first pimp.jpg
159KB, 698x1280px
>>33064129
>Mara
Mara's great, but honestly it's only an okay design.
Similarly, stuff like related is certainly memorable, but I'm not sure if it's a great design either.
The GOAT SMT designs are the ones that remember obscure details, and find creative ways to showcase difficult or abstract features.
>>
>>33064066
Expanding on this

In Digimon, Adult (Champion) is what it says, it's the most natural point of the evolution, everything after that is in most cases the Digimon evolving to be more successful at battling.
>>
Digimon are digital. There is no "natural." Anything counts. Sure, the designs can be ugly, but people who grew up with it can tolerate them because they're not pussies.
Meanwhile, pokemon are wild creatures that originate in the same world of humans.
And for some reason, pokemon have an excuse to have the forms of machines, rocks, ice cream, and even ghosts. How the fuck does a ghost have hit points? How does it faint? It's already dead!
Arceus is one fucked up son of a bitch.
>>
I love digimon but it could never touch Pokemon
One of my biggest gripes with it is how disorganized it is.I like that Pokemon have dex orders and somewhat fledged world building
There's a shitload of digimon that are anime only that dont make it in the games, and there's so many of them you could never name a full generation
Also a lot of digimon lore sounds like it was made by someone in middle school.I know Pokemon can get bad with that, but digimon gets REALLY bad
>>
>>33064194
I really can't imagine people liking digimon without the nostalgia factor
and/or for the digi-boobies
in fact, i think there are hardly any new fans anymore. Ever since "Data Squad" all that the franchise is trying to do is creating awful designs to sell toys to little kids. It really makes me think how effective pokemon is as a long lasting franchise.
>>
>>33064221
I'm a huge fan of Digimon, but I can't stand most of the anime. Between the games, the manga, and the official artworks/lores, the series is very rich and well-designed. But the anime after Data Squad has been terrible, and Data Squad and Tamers are the only two that I actually like.
>>
>>33052513
First post, best post.
>>
>>33054507
I want one.
>>
>>33062517
>A dumb jap says a little girl doesn't want a weird exotic monster stealing her little brother to another dimension
>A dumb youtuber thinks he means a partner afraid she's going to lose her incestuous relationship to a digital monster
STUNNER
>>
>>33056560
Tyrannomon is based af tbqh
>>
>>33064080
Revolmon made its debut in 1999.
FFIX was released in 2000.
>>
>>33056834
This could easily pass as a Pokemon.
>>
>>33057688
Fuck, the nostalgia. Thanks anon.
>>
>>33056675
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/86139/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth/
On the PS4 and Vita, Global sales: 0.11 million units.
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/91783/pokemon-sunmoon/
On the 3ds, Global sales 14 million.

Digimon is totally surviving!
>>
>>33064677
I don't know any 'mons that live up to the Diablomon line. Infermon being the best. It's Champion level is basically a ghost type like Sableye though
>>
>>33064695
As multiple people have said, just because low sales would kill Pokémon doesn't mean Digimon doesn't do fine
>>
File: 180px-HoundoomSkyridge12.jpg (18KB, 180x252px) Image search: [Google]
180px-HoundoomSkyridge12.jpg
18KB, 180x252px
The Pokémon can look creepy too.
>>
>>33064702
Low sales can't kill Pokemon either.
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70562/pokemon-conquest/
>>
>>33064742
That's a spinoff though. Pokémon has the high sales to afford spinoffs now and again to varying platforms and success, from Conquest and MD to Magikarp Jump/Pokémon Go
The only thing low sales do for Digimon is lower the odds of something like Go ever happening. It has a franchise with spinoffs anyway, and none of them need to do THAT well to survive
>>
>>33063242
>>33062504
>>33062517
These are the people who desperately have to project in order to get over the Salazzle cuckening
>>
>>33064702
Pokemon can also survive off its merchandise even if the games have low sales and it has the TCG as well as movies, Pokemon at this point isn't just the games it a franchise and Pokemon has plenty of different profit avenues to survive off of if the game don't sell as well.
>>
>>33064771
The main point was the amount they need to scale. Digimon isn't dying in any way, it's low sales aren't low for them, if anything they're doing quite well.
Pokémons large sales don't have any real impact on how much Digimon should make
>>
>>33064790
True it's on its 20th anniversary
>>
>>33064695
I was asked to recommend a game and I did, I don't get how the sales mattered.
>>
Is Flamedramon the Lucario of Digimon?
>>
>>33064869
No Renamon is.
>>
>>33064890
Isn't Renamon the Braixen of Digimon
>>
>>33064914
Not what Death Battle thinks.
>>
>>33064927
>death battle
Literally the most irrelevant piece of shit of all time. Who gives a single fuck about what these autists think aside from autists?
>>
>>33054195
>lord knightmon
anon...
>>
>>33064869
No, he's not shilled nearly as hard as Lucario, unless you count the entire V-mon family as one.
Thread posts: 205
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.