[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokémon is better without a narrative.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: unown3c.png (8KB, 336x305px)
unown3c.png
8KB, 336x305px
Pokémon is better without a narrative.
>>
It's a JRPG, so it has to have a narrative, due to stories being a requirement for the genre
>>
>>33051246
At the very least, we know the inverse is generally true.
>>
>>33051246

No. That's a Terrible idea.
>>
>>33051246
I wish the narrative was more voluntary I guess. Like regular pokemon game except you don't really HAVE to follow the story. Be as engaged as you want to be but it doesn't have to be open world either.
>>
>>33051246
Pokémon needs to grow and evolve as a series to stay relevant. Just look at BotW and Mario Odyssey. Both of those have brought a lot of change and innovation to their respective series. Do you really want Pokémon to stay the same as it was when you played Gold and Silver as an 8 year old?
>>
>>33051262
>due to stories being a requirement for the genre
Can't tell if autism or bait. Every gen before 5 already proved you wrong long ago either way though.
>>
Pokemon is better with a narrative, but it needs to be a good narrative
>>
>>33051246
This, they should keep it mostly about lore like Dark Souls

this is one of the few cases where it actually works perfectly
>>
>>33051262
You can tell a story without a narrative. That's one of the beauties of video games.
>>
>>33051289
Every single Pokémon game has had a story you pillock.
>>
>>33051287
>Pokémon needs to grow and evolve as a series to stay relevant.
But adding narrative to it isn't growth, it's regressive. Pokémon needs to grow by expanding the size and complexity of the world maps, by having more dungeons and hidden lore for the player to discover.

>Just look at BotW and Mario Odyssey. Both of those have brought a lot of change and innovation to their respective series.
No, both of those are going back to what people loved about older games. BotW goes back to the very roots of Zelda while Odyssey is going back to a Mario 64-inspired structure.

>Do you really want Pokémon to stay the same as it was when you played Gold and Silver as an 8 year old?
I want the structure of the game and the development philosophy to be the same, but better and with more of everything.
>>
>>33051276
fucking this
>>
>>33051287
>Just look at BotW and Mario Odyssey
underageb&
>>
>>33051246
>OtherOpenWorld,jpg
>>
I prefer a pokemon with a ton of shitty side quests than a big shitty story.
>>
>>33051404
>>>/v/
>>
>>33051430
This guy's got the right idea. I'd rather have shitty grey screens with a few shitty pixels than shitty colours with shitty models. Ugh.
>>
>>33051246
every pokemon game has a narrative. They were just extremely simplified prior to gen 5. No one would be complaining if you could skip the cutscenes prove me wrong
>>
>>33051453
what's that suppose to mean you fucking retard? you are the one who brought these games in the first place
>>
>>33051352
Like i understand that these games are directed towards a certain age group but throw us older fans a bone here. Sun and Moon legit felt like games for toddlers at some points
>>
>>33051457
Neither of those descriptors line up or even conflict with what he's asking for though.
>>
File: 1498238051146.jpg (400KB, 681x1097px) Image search: [Google]
1498238051146.jpg
400KB, 681x1097px
>>33051246
I disagree
>>
>>33051345
This, holy shit this.
I absolutely cannot understand GF's obsession with adding plot in these games now.
Pokemon at its core is about adventuring through the region, catching Pokemon, and battling to become the very best. The basis is already there to make a great game, and we now have more than enough technological capabilities to expand upon those ideas.

But instead, GF is now obsessed with watering down the gameplay with constant plot and characters interrupting you to the point of the game now having less exploration or any sense of adventure than fucking Dragon Warrior 1. People are calling this "evolution" but what good is it when it's just boggling down the actual gameplay? Story does not make a good game, and at this point I'm certain the plot is there to cover up how shallow the games have gotten when it comes to anything outside of battling. Game Freak can't write for shit, but they have shown promise when it comes to delivering a sense of adventure in the past.
>>
Do you want pokemon to end like kingdom hearts with a garbage tier story?
I mean if people like the trash that is KH story, im sure they'll enjoy the trash pokemon plot
>>
>>33051668
>I absolutely cannot understand GF's obsession with adding plot in these games now
because faggots including this board complained gen 6 didnt have enough plot like gen 5 had
>>
>>33051701
No one with a functioning brain thinks that's gen 6's biggest issue
>>
>>33051246
What does it say? Can anyone translate?
>>
>>33051733
WE HUMANS
NEED TO
WALK WITH
THEM
WE LEAVE
HERE
FOR THE SAKE
OF THEM
>>
>>33051750
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>33051718
A lot of people don't have functioning brains.
>>
>>33051766
We'll find out when I become a game director at Game Freak and expand on it in a future game.
>>
>>33051766
They meant that humans need to walk with them and left there for the sake of them
>>
File: sotc.jpg (34KB, 800x508px) Image search: [Google]
sotc.jpg
34KB, 800x508px
>>33051246

Pokemon is better when the narrative

1. Is very loose
2. Has to be discovered

I have a theory that what nostalgiafags really miss about Pokemon is the tone. It kept the atmosphere of a very idealistic world that was nonetheless filled with living secrets, if you just looked a little closer. Pokemon's overworld is very pastoral and static, so any time something rare was discovered or there was a shift in tone it felt very significant. Pokemon is a love letter to myth, and it has always been very attentive at winding up to legendary encounters and providing backstory for them.

There was another game that captured that sort of "Oh shit what is that" sense of discovery, but it was aimed at an older audience.
>>
I don't mind a narrative but it definitely needs to be more fluffed up a bit with other sidequests and stories
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.