[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Golden Age of Pokemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

File: 1499378248444.png (1MB, 1258x932px) Image search: [Google]
1499378248444.png
1MB, 1258x932px
The Golden Age of Pokemon
>>
Golden age of Pokemon because those are the games you grew up with
>>
>>33035687
>not including gen 1 and 2
>not cutting it off after gen 3
>>
>>33035703
OP is like 80% of the entire franchise. You're either too young or too old to post here.

>>33035707
Gen 1 and 2 were great but not the peak of the series. Gen 4 and 5 were even better than 3, so no.
>>
File: Download (1).jpg (18KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
Download (1).jpg
18KB, 300x168px
but thats wrong retard here is the objective golden age
>>
>>33035687
People will deny it because shit taste is a common thing, but you're objectively right.
>>
>>33035687
essentially the entirety of the GBA and DS eras
>>
>>33035717
It's a subjective opinion not objective
>>
>>33035726
>because shit taste is a common thing
as seen by OP and (You)
>>
>>33035743
Actually as seen by you. But since you have shit taste you yourself cannot see it. Sad.
>>
>>33035742
you're objectively wrong
>>
>>33035754
>But since you have shit taste you yourself
at least I dont like the garbage that is post gen 1 pokemon
>>
>people thinking the outdated gen1 and gen2 are better than what came next
>including the HGSS remakes
Loving GSC aesthetic (which are probably the best) is one thing, but don't fool yourselves.

>people who think gen6 and gen7 haven't taken a shit on the franchise
I still cannot believe there are people who thinks gen6-7 are better than any of the previous.
>>
>>33035793
So basically, there are two chances:
That you're falseflagging against those who disagree with OP, or that you're actually a full blown genwunner that somehow found his way here.
I think I prefer to think that you're falseflagging, it's better for my heart.
>>
>>33035769
You're objectively wrong.
>>
>>33035687
Why are our logos so ugly?
>>
Pokémon can be separated into eras.
Classic Era: Generation I and II
Refined Era: Generation III and IV
International Era: Generation V+

Focus changed at Generation III and Generation V. The Refined Era was all about refining the Classic Era. The art direction for the games changed as well. The end of Generation IV had a few tips that things were building up to a change. Sugimori didn't do the illustrations for the Rocket Admins in HGSS, and he didn't come up with the designs for the Kanto Gym Leaders. Not only that, but TPCi took over all localization duties from Nintendo.

Generation V and onward have been made for more international audiences, hence the regions no longer being based in Japan, and game releases becoming simultaneous worldwide with X and Y. The focus has been more on growing the story aspects of the game, and they've gotten more linear as well. Sugimori also only did a few character illustrations in Gen V (most in BW), and other artists now regularly contribute art. B2W2 can be considered the last bastion of the Refined Era.
>>
>>33035742
>i-it's subjective!!
That doesn't change the fact that your subjective opinion is shit and wrong.
>>
>>33035807
>I still cannot believe there are people who thinks gen6-7 are better than any of the previous
they were still better than gen 5
>>
>>33035855
this is the truth
>>
>>33035862
Holy shit, people with this shit taste exist?
>>
>>33035855
/int/ era was a mistake
>>
>>33035874
if the truth is now shit taste then yes
>>
>>33035687
My favourite games are Platinum and Heart Gold, and I think you're dumb. Neither gen3 nor gen5 improved enough on their predecessors to be considered better, and d/p were pretty shit too. IMO gen4 is the best, but gen2 comes second, golden age is a dumb concept.
>>
>>33035895
>gen6 and gen7 being better than any other gen
>truth
Stop it anon, you're going to give me a heart attack.
>>
>>33035855
You have autism.

Classic Era: 1 + 2
Golden Age: 3 + 4 + 5
Dark Age: 6 + 7
>>
>>33035935
For that matter gen2 was better than gen3.
>>
>>33035922
yes gen 5 was that bad
>>
>>33035935
Explain how.
>inb4 subjective opinions used as fact ala "I like these pokemon more"
>>
>>33035952
No, you just have shit taste man.
>>
>>33035908
>gen3 nor gen5 improved enough on their predecessors
You're blinded by your personal tastes.
>>
>>33035954
Better Pokemon designs

Better online features
>>
>>33035946
Not really.
HGSS > Emerald > Crystal
>>
>>33035963
you are the one with shit taste for defending the gen that killed pokemon
>>
>>33035973
Of course I am, like everyone else. I also have a rather skewed perception due to not bothering with online.
Yet I still don't see how can you consider gen5 enough of an improvement on gen4 to be considered better. Or gen3 over gen2 for that matter.
>>
>>33035985
>gen5
>killed pokemon
Say what now?
>>
>>33035703
thats wrong. My first games were Red and Blue when they came out.
>>
File: 1472730256989.png (201KB, 483x397px) Image search: [Google]
1472730256989.png
201KB, 483x397px
>>33035687
I fucking hate the pokemon international logo and TPC for keeping it, pikachu and the ashnime on life support. Make something new for once for fuck's sake.
>>
>>33035990
all pokemon games have been shit since gen 5 started
>>
>>33035986
I bet you're the kind that only regards your favorites strong points while ignoring their flaws and viceversa.
>>
>>33035687
I hope all those people who laughed at gen3 haters back in 2012 are here to see threads like this.
They called the board switching upon getting new gens to hate upon and they were perfectly right.
>>
>>33036007
Then you do agree that gen6 and 7 have just gotten worse.
>>
>the golden age
>includes a bunch of shit games
>>
>>33035925
Did you not notice how Gen V felt like a soft reboot? TPCi also tried hard to bring on a new wave of fans. They brought back the "Gotta Catch 'em All" slogan which had been dead since Gen III started. The Japanese logos changed the style that had been used since Gen III, and every generation gets its own logo style now. Gen I and II also shared a logo style. It's not a perfectly clear cut since you can see see gradual changes as early as 2009 and as late as 2012, but the closest thing to a clear cutoff is in 2010 with BW.
>>
>>33036010
I'm the kind who is too lazy to actually lay down an argument as to why game a is better than game b.
But then again so are you.
Unless you're willing to prove me wrong.
Dissecting others' arguments is much easier than writing my own afterall.
>>
>>33036035
>Dissecting others' arguments is much easier than writing my own afterall.
You lazy faggot, why don't I get to dissect your argument then?
God, I hate the people who pick blacks in chess because I want them myself.
>>
>>33036020
gen 6 and 7 were slightly less shit than 5 and gamefreak should be ashamed they havent made a good game in nearly a decade
>>
>>33036011
Gen III is still heavily flawed. I'd say that Gen I and II, while flawed, are much more forgivable in their flaws and can be played as is, while I'm left wondering why certain design decisions in Gen III were made.
>>
>>33036011
Eh, gen3 hate has always been a thing due to the high amount of filthy deserters this board has.
>>
>>33035975
>Better Pokemon designs
you just shot yourself in the foot
>>
>>33036049
>Gen III is still heavily flawed.
Yes yes, but if you remember the threads from like 6 years ago, you'll remember that most people were just hating to fit in. You got one hundred thousands mentions of trumpets for every legit complaint about no day/night cycle and all the fucking water routes.

>>33036062
>deserters
???
>>
>>33036007
>having an opinion this bad
>in real life
>>
>>33036077
I made up Hoenn confirmed (as shitposting) against Hoennfags here years ago. I don't expect anyone to believe me, and seeing Masuda say it was a trip, but trust me when I say that I said it out of genuine annoyance against Hoennfags.
>>
>>33035986
>>33036035
Honestly? Gen4 and gen2 didn't improved that much either compared to its predecessors.
GF always takes two steep back.
For example, gen4 biggest improvement was the special split, and that's pretty much it. On the other hand you're left with an overworld with the most HM bullshit any region has suffered, that runs at 30fps (compared to the 60fps no-gates Hoenn), and which tried to copy Emerald's Battle Frontier two times.
I bet you're going to talk about the graphics and wifi improvements, but those are linked to the progression of the technology and can be argued to be on all the generations, so they're kind of trivial if the argument is about comparing the different gens improvements.
>>
File: red.jpg (115KB, 1000x911px) Image search: [Google]
red.jpg
115KB, 1000x911px
Every Pokemon game has its own ups and downs. The games you consider "shit" have their own advantages that appeal to another person. For example, Gen IV has the Underground, Pokeathlon, and Contests to allow for a varied and unique local multiplayer experience. Gen V has PWT and the White Treehollow along with the typical Battle Tower type facility, so you get plenty of mileage in terms of single player battling. Gen VI's PSS system and advancements in breeding, egg moves and all that allow for it to be a very accessible online game, creating a community and making it much easier to battle randomly with anyone at any time.
That said, third versions and remakes are overall improvements when compared to the games they are based off of, despite some of them introducing their own flaws.
>>
>>33036154
Hoenn having 17 water routes is a huge detractor, especially when all surfing encounters were Wingull, Tentacool, and Pelipper (there was a 1% chance of Wailord on Route 129). Sinnoh had like 3 or 4 water routes.
>>
>>33036154
>I bet
Wrong. I don't care about either actually.
To be honest I never even noticed the fps difference at all, so I take your word on that, but I can hardly agree with your point about HMs given that there's 8 of which 7 mandatory for progression in both. Also I liked Sinnoh way better than those fucking sea routes jesus fucking christ how much do I hate those (especially when running a nuzlocke).

Also the split was the single best thing to happen to this franchise ever and I can't see how it could ever be topped IMO, so that alone is a fucking gigantic plus in my books.
>>
>>33035925
>5
>Golden Age
>>
File: 1404942017962.png (511KB, 588x470px) Image search: [Google]
1404942017962.png
511KB, 588x470px
>>33036178
>17 water routes
>counting the routes from Petalburg to Staleport which are completely skippable in the main story
>counting the routes beyond Pacifiglog which is literally just a big puzzle
>counting the fucking Mt.Pyre waters as a fucking route of all things
No, fuck this. I'm tired of this nonsense. Fuck the "17 routes" meme once and for all.
Hoenn has about 6 obligatory routes for the main story before postgame but everyone whines like the game forces you to go through the entire 16 routes the map has.
I won't argue against the shitty pokemon variety these zones have, it's horrible, but you can travel from to Lilicove to Mossdeep in less than a minute if you use repels; they're never as big as you people make them to be.

But seriously
>counting fucking Mt.Pyre as a water route
Fuck anyone who does this. I was just shitposting before this: like I care that different people have different tastes, that's the natural thing to expect. Now I'm mad.
>>
>>33036232
>I never even noticed the fps difference at all, so I take your word on that
All GBA games had 60 fps in the overworld.
The DS era with the pseudo 3D had 30 fps for the overworld, but I'm pretty sure the battles are still in 60 fps.
I think beyond XY all of it is in 30 fps, but I'm not sure. Anyway, GF is incompetent.

And I'm not saying gen4 is shit by all means. I love all the gens from 1 to 5, and Sinnoh is my favorite region. But I have the impression you're letting the flaws of gen3 and 5 eclipse their good points.
>>
>>33036242
17 routes are given the term "sea route" in the Japanese version, and it's not routes that have just pond water. If we're counting required water routes, then Sinnoh has the route between Jubilife and Canalave and the one between the Pokémon League and Sunyshore City. But you shouldn't feel like exploring is a chore, and you shouldn't have to cut out the core mechanic of the game to make it bearable. Just because 11 water routes in Hoenn are optional content doesn't mean they're not shitty optional content that take up a sizable amount of the world map.
>>
>>33036293
>But I have the impression you're letting the flaws of gen3 and 5 eclipse their good points.
It's not like I didn't like those, or think they're bad.
They were both good. I just liked gen2 and gen4 more and thought them better.

Also I take just checked the fps stuff. I've played all 2ds games on emulator only and apparently desmume automatically sets it to 60 anyway so I could never have noticed. Especially since I always play on turbo which speeds me up to 150 on the overworld and 500 in battle, kek.
>>
>>33035687
you were correct up until D/P
>>
>>33035793
Functiionally illiterate Retard
>>
>>33036336
>17 routes are given the term "sea route" in the Japanese version
Irrelevant how they're categorized, that doesn't nullifies at all what I said in my post.
>optional content doesn't mean they're not shitty optional content that take up a sizable amount of the world map
Oh, I'm not saying they're good or bad, I'm just tired of people constantly crying about water routes like the game forces you to go through ALL of them.
And despite them, Emerald still has a good postgame in the Regis puzzles and the Frontier.

And anyway, counting Mt.Pyre is retarded as fuck: it's the equivalent as counting the Sinnoh Lakes as water routes.
And believe me or not, the water routes didn't feel like a chore for everyone. After all, there are people that liked the swamp and snow routes of Sinnoh themselves.
>>
>>33036349
Diamond and Pearl actually felt like attempts to surpass Emerald. You can get almost twice the amount of Pokémon in them as you can in Emerald, and the post-game is significantly larger than Emerald's if you're not into the Battle Frontier or Battle Tower. You also don't have a ton of water routes and can actually complete the regional Pokédex with one game and your rival doesn't give up halfway through.
>>
>>33036348
>desmume automatically sets it to 60 anyway
I didn't know about that. I was about to start a new Pt run on emulator and it's great to learn this.
>>
>>33036410
>I didn't know about that.
Know it.
And also know that all pokemon games work far, FAR faster on jit than interpreter. You basically can't use the turbo on interpreter, so slow it is.
>>
OP you have to remember that most of the people here are under 20 years old. They're XY kids.
Personally I think gen 2 - 4 was the golden age with Platinum ending it.
>>
File: 1373297993032.jpg (103KB, 900x728px) Image search: [Google]
1373297993032.jpg
103KB, 900x728px
>everyone always talk about how shitty the water routes are
>nobody cares that the "ground" part of the map is practically 10/10
I'm sad.
>>
>>33035855
I like this one. It the most unbiased assortment of the games I have ever seen on /vp/ as it is only based off of facts.
>>
>>33036430
>XY kids
If their first pokemon game was in 2013 they're very unlikely to be any older than 13. A 17-20yo would have started with dppt.
>>
>>33036448
If I recall, I read somewhere that most people's first pokemon experience was around 12-13.
>>
File: aa0da40e6747ef991b2fe542e6610e17.jpg (319KB, 1000x1291px) Image search: [Google]
aa0da40e6747ef991b2fe542e6610e17.jpg
319KB, 1000x1291px
Gen 4 was the last time there was a major change to the meta. It's been nothing but gimmicks since then.
>>
>>33036512
And bad gimmicks at that.
>>
>>33035855
You anon, I like you.
>>
>>33036497
>that most people's first pokemon experience was around 12-13
Really? I remember back in the days of rby the kids who got into it were all my age or 1-2 years above (I'm a 92 kid). Those who didn't get into pokemon at that point never took up the series in later gens.
Granted, anecdotal evidence, but still.
>>
>>33036393
I can't remember much of what Emerald added post-game. I know that Ruby and Sapphire had
>Getting Beldum at Steven's house
>Sky Pillar with Rayquaza
>S.S. Tidal
>Battle Tower
>Latios/Latias roaming
>Latias/Latios on Southern Island
and that was pretty much it.

Emerald added
>Tracking Groudon and Terra Cave
>Tracking Kyogre and Marine Cave
>Finding the other fossil
>Battle Frontier and the surrounding area
>Navel Rock event from FRLG
>Birth Island event from FRLG
>Faraway Island event
>The ONE Steven battle in Meteor Falls
>Altering Cave from FRLG which was useless
>The Johto starters after completing the Hoenn Pokédex

I like doing all content in a game, and Hoenn wasn't particularly great overall in that regard. If you did the bare minimum, I could see how that might be solid (terrible rival and dumb teams excluded), but I don't think it measures up as a full experience to most of the other games.
>>
>>33036539
well regardless, you might have exposure to pokemon at ~9 yrs old, but you don't truly start appreciating the game and playing "serious" until your a few years older. Probably XY or BW2 was the first pokemon game then.
I'm 27. The first game I ever played was Yellow. but the first game I ever put thought into was Crystal.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.