[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A More Story Driven Pokemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

Playing through Persona 5 and I realized for me, it's not entirely the gameplay that got me sunk into this game. But the story and the characters. Pokemon has never been great at exploring character backgrounds. From Gym Leaders, Rivals, and other people you meet on your way I can couldn't say I ever had a favorite character because of what they been through. The people that come to mind is Silver and N.

So /vp/, how do you think a more story driven Pokemon game would pan out? Can Game Freak pull one off?
>>
The Pokemon are the only protagonists
>>
They tried with BW but failed on some aspects. Same with SM. Like they had something going with BW but pulled shit like N battling the trainer or Ghetsis boring ass rule the world plot. Having Gym Leaders more involved in the plot and 2 companions that developed over the course of the game was great though.
>>
Off topic, but Pokemon should definitely look like Persona. I think it will run well on the switch with less detail.
>>
The Japanese pokemon fans hate anything dark related to story.

They don't do it
>>
>>33034855
i havent played p5 yet but ive played through 3 and 4 and yeah i totally agree that the gameplay was pretty nice but the characters and story sucked me in. pokemon used to be my favorite series but i grew out of it because it was just to simple that it hardly felt like an rpg.

>>33034878
im probs going to get shit for answering you but whatever
honestly for me, ghetsis being evil for the sake of evil was a good thing in my eyes especially after gen 3's terraforming the world and gen 4's creating a new universe. youre right about the the gym leader and companion development in bw though, i love that about it
>>
Considering they have been trying that since B1W1 anyways and every game except XY has even more story than the last, no, I don't think they could pull it off.

The only thing they should do for more story focus is character-driven sidequests like Looker Bureau for character and world building, but if you want you should be able to totally ignore them, though you won't be well off when it comes to keeping up with the level scale if you do. Make the evil team and legendary plots similar side quests too. The main story gets to be just gyms and rival encounters for surface level hooks to get you interested in their quests, so people who don't want story in Pokemon or just want to rush into multiplayer can do so with ease. But GF will never do that because they want everyone to experience everything they put in, which is part of the mentality that led to ORAS ignoring the Frontier.

I would also keep all the story stuff more grounded with less "save the world" shit and more small local problems or even personal drama.
>>
No, pokemon core concept is very shit
>>
>>33034878
>>33034906
Did I miss something when playing Black and White? What Gym Leader and Companion development?
>>
>>33034900
Do they really, I don't see anything of that sort.
>>
>>33034922
The gym leaders were more involved in the story than previous games and both Cheren and Bianca developed alongside you. Cheren constantly searching for his goal besides becoming stronger and Bianca wanting to know what to do with her life since she wasn't really a great trainer.
>>
>>33034922
i worded that incorrectly, i should have said gym leader involvement and companion development. anyways, bianca and cheren both grow up throughout the game. like how elesa confronted bianca's dad to let her go. bianca learns to be proud of herself despite always losing to you and knowing shes not on the same level as you or cheren. cheren on the other hand, fights to become better and learns from the battles.
or something like that
>>
>>33034948
Okay, I must of glossed over that. But what about the Gym Leaders? Was there any development in them that I missed? All I remember is that they appeared to help at N's Castle.
>>
File: 8bd.jpg (119KB, 1137x640px) Image search: [Google]
8bd.jpg
119KB, 1137x640px
Kamoshida? More like kamoshithead.
>>
>>33034922
Cheren and Bianca have some bare minimum stuff with finding out what they really wanna do with life, Cheren realizing what's the point in power for the sake of power, and Bianca realizing she sucks at Pokemon battling even though she's better at it than Cheren and she should get a job that doesn't require her to be a good battler.

Gym Leaders don't have any more development than other games. They just get more screen time, but not really any more depth from it either. Marlon in BW2 is the only one who has anything particularly interesting or memorable to say either. I guess there's also the Memory Link scene with Brycen which is basically the entire character Diantha was supposed to have condensed into one scene, or the scene with Skyla and Elesa which is only memorable for how awkward all the dialogue in that scene is in the English version.
>>
>>33034900
Doesn't have to be dark, but I game more in-depth might have it be more mature. Which again doesn't have to be dark.
>>
>>33034878
SM had some fun characters like Guzma and Nanu, but the story didn't feel like it had any clear focus, and was constricting too.
>>
>>33034946
https://archive.nyafuu.org/vp/thread/32747844/#32748061
The post in this old thread links to 2ch's Game wiki. One of ORAS's problems was said to be "Game is filled with dark background elements like Sea Mauville, dark or perverted humour, and NPCs who reference things like late-night otaku anime."
>>
>>33035102
they probably just hate it because it hits home too hard for them
>>
>>33035102
They hated XD and colloseum and conquest
>>
>>33034985
Not really development just more involved in the story than the past few games. Same goes for SM.
What they need is either better writers or change up the franchise to be more similar to other JRPGs like Dragon Quest or SMT in the way they tell stories and have the player embarking on this grand adventure. Which they probably will never do.
>>
God I wish Game Freak were good developers. A Persona level of character development would be great.
>>
>>33035196
Cringe
>>
What Pokemon needs for a better story is to abandon the gym system or make that shit optional.
>>
I'm be a fan of the Idea. I play for the battles,New region and Pokémon. I'm not a fan of the cutscenes in sm. They take to long.
>>
>>33035230
I'm not a fan of the idea*
>>
>>33035230
Have you played persona? They have longest cut scenes of any game out there
>>
>>33035214
>Taking away gyms for more story
>Removine gyms(or trials or whatever ) in general
That's a terrible idea
>>
>>33035249
And sadly the story is cringe as hell.
>>
>>33035249
I never played it and probably never will. I'm not a fan of story games.
>>
>>33035258
only because you're so used to Game Freak's shit. Change can be a good thing.
>>
>>33035273
Why take away the things that make Pokemon so popular

If it ain't broke don't fix it
>>
>>33035259
Still better than any Pokemon story
>>
Fuck no that persona games is just blah blah blah
>>
>>33034855
Now if by story driven you mean that they include more elements and details in the background that players can find out on their own then that's totally fine. But if you mean including more story in a way that will hinder the actual gameplay and constantly switch the player's focus from the core gameplay to story then that will inevitably lead to bad game design.
The problem with a story driven Pokemon game is the fact that GF does not know how to tell one without constantly interrupting the gameplay and dragging the player into something they may or may not care about. Not only that but they also can't write for shit.

Personally, as someone who favors adventure in RPGs rather than more story, I would rather GF keep the plot simple and focus more on the adventuring and exploration aspects of Pokemon, like Dragon Quest. To me Pokemon would be a much more effective experience if they stuck with that. I mean, the whole core of the games is adventuring to catch Pokemon, battle, and become the best trainer. Like I said, if they developed on the background elements and lore that players could find themselves, that would be great.
>>
>>33035298
Who plays Pokemon for the story?
>>
>>33035273
Story focused gameplay isn't good when a majority play Pokémon for the battles. Gyms are a good mechanic that don't need fixing.
>>33035298
Pokémon doesn't need a story. It would be weird if you played pokemon for the story. It doesn't need to have a story to be a good game.
>>
>>33034855
they already tried that with black and white one and it did not go so well.

having a story in pokemon is fine but dont make it the main focus of the game. the fun with pokemon is to catch them and build different teams.

and for the record, persona 5 story is not even that good.
>>
Even though people don't play Pokemon for the story or lore, but I feel this is the way we're heading. BW and BW2 and even Sun and Moon had the most character development we've ever seen. Game Freak hasn't been the great at showing it, but its getting there
>>
That's exactly what they did with SM though.
If Lillie, Lusamine, Guzma, Hau, or Gladion didn't stand out to you OP, over N or Silver(of all people), then you're the problem, not gamefreak.
>>
>>33034855
i liked in BW that the gym leaders were a bit involved with the main story but i wish they executed it better. Cheren and Bianca had decent enough plot build into them. Cheren finding out what it means to be a good trainer and stoppning him from becoming Garry 2.0 and Bianca trying to figure out what to do with her life.
>>
The problem with Pokemon is the fact that game itself tries to be much more than it really is. We started at a point when we were just collecting badges, catching Pokemon and fight "bad guys". It was light and fun.
We ended at a point when we brace fucking end-of -the-world scenarios. Characters tries to have personality, but it does not work very well. Most of the times they have less personality than a cardboard cut (XY crew) or their development sucks/barely exist (Lillie) .
Pokemon should stay the way they was, maybe add new things like optional gym, battles or path that player can choose (like instead of being a trainer we could try to become a contest star (that idea can sucks tho since not really much people like contest))
>>
Pokemon needs traditional side quests so they can have these character depth moments without requirements
>>
>>33034855
If they used the lore of some mythical Pokemon, they could make some very interesting stories...

Like idk, a game with Celebi as the main legendary, with a "The Future is fucked" story, a la OoT

It wouldn't be new nor original, but it would be fresh in the Pokemon context
>>
>>33035413
There's so many Pokemon that deserve a good back story. Shaymin is a pokemon that I always liked thanks to the movie.
>>
>>33035409
Don't think Pokemon would be alive for so long or at least not as popular as it is today if it didn't change a little through each generation. Although I do love the saving the day aspect not really saving the world.
>>
>>33035409
This.
Black and White is the only exception, and I think it is because it was more about stopping the schemes of ghetsis and discovering the tale of the two dragons, and less of "it's the end of the world as we know it".
Let's be honest, having a pokémon that can destroy the world in every single game is getting boring.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.