[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of rival do you prefer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1494454727110.png (25KB, 548x312px) Image search: [Google]
1494454727110.png
25KB, 548x312px
Let's settle this once and for all guys:

http://www.strawpoll.me/13439400
>>
>>33030963
I like Hugh, Gladion, and Wally the most. The ones I dislike are the XY brigade and Silver, everyone else is some variant or alright.
>>
>>33030963
Blue and Silver aren't edgy.
>>
>>33031049
>Silver
>Not edgy
Maybe in the postgame he isn't, but before that he's literally Coldsteel the Treiner
>>
>>33030963
I don't care what they are, as long as they're well-written, have a good team and actually feel like a rival
>>
>>33030963
What does Lysander count as?

Frankly, he had more of a part in XY than your actual "rival" did. Felt more like a rival than a boss, too. So weird.
>>
what about edgy friendly rivals?
you know, like blue? i've always found him to be the best rival in pokemon, since he actually feels like one
>>
>>33031183
What? He fights you twice and both are after he decides to nuke the planet.
>>
>>33031201
He also shows up repeatedly and has an actual part of the story. The "rival" is just an annoying roadblock that shows up sometimes with almost zero story impact. The fireworks cutscene added basically nothing to the story. A rival should be more than a boring roadblock, IMHO.
>>
>>33030963
I don't really care about how edgy/friendly a rival is as long as they have an interesting/compelling character. Hau and Gladion get pitted against each other often but personally, I thought they were both just somewhat okay, and were at their best when they interacted with each other.
>>
Blue wasn't edgy, he was just a dick.and that's why that douchebag is my favorite
>>
>>33031163
no?
>>
>>33031210
Shauna isn't your rival so why mention that cutscene?

Since Gen 3 they've had a rival and a friend or friends. Serena/Calem is your X/Y rival, the rest are friends, nothing more.

That's why ones like Shauna and Hau have the starter that is weak to yours. Rivals have the opposite.

For example, Gladion has the memory that makes his Silvally strong versus your starter from a Type standpoint for a reason.
>>
File: gladion.jpg (123KB, 1024x662px) Image search: [Google]
gladion.jpg
123KB, 1024x662px
>>33030963
EDGY
>>
Edgy ones are good for "boss fights", but I'd friendly rivals are nice to just have a comparison to. It's nice to see friendly ones grow.
I'd prefer both, but if I had to choose I'd choose edge because their gameplay effect is more direct.
Blue, Gladion, Barry, and Silver are good. May/Brendan are good if they were there for the whole game, Wally's shit because you don't see him grow but it's still neato.
>>
>>33031189
I agree, Blue's nowhere near as much of an ass as people make him out to be. In fact he's a pretty stand up guy considering how much his grandpa likes to shit on him.
>>
Barry is the best rival of the series.
Give me two rivals next gen, one like Barry one like Silver. Both with competent, full teams.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.