[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is /vp/ so bitchy about the recent games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: dd3.png (143KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
dd3.png
143KB, 600x600px
>>
>>33030620
because they're bad
>>
>>33030620
because /vp/ likes shitting on everything
>>
>>33030628
what about them makes them worse compared to older games?
>>
>>33030631
lack of features, removal of old features, mediocre to bad execution of new features, new focus on narrative, which is poorly written, and poorly made regions with a lack of interesting new locations
>>
>>33030631
The 3d models for the pokemon look washed out and are not accurately colored
Flying pokemon are just awkwardly floating
Have had a huge downgrade in difficulty in an already easy series
Ugly looking
Bad level design
Removing old features that were good
Battle speed is much slower and has framerate issues
The one good thing that was in gen 6, the pss, was removed in s/m for no reason
no national dex in s/m
>>
>>33030620

Legitimate flaws.

After I played and beat Moon, I went back and played Blue on virtual console. I enjoyed Blue more. Here's a short list of reasons why, some are objective, some are my opinion.

>The game never stopped me from having fun and made me go through a story for babies, Blue version made me do some shit for 3 minutes at the very start of the game and then I was on my way, unhindered until the end

>No IVs, EVs, Egg Moves, none of that tedious, obnoxious breederfag bullshit. My entire Moon team is worthless even though I took the time to get the right natures and EV train them, they still are shit. I had to breed some of them after I beat the game for egg moves, and even then IVs are fucked. The ultimate solution is just injecting and playing on Showdown. My pokemon in Blue are perfectly fine, no obnoxious bullshit needed.

I don't have enough characters left to complete this list and I'm too lazy to make multiple posts so just take this for what it's worth I ges
>>
File: Mad Lunala.jpg (45KB, 480x547px) Image search: [Google]
Mad Lunala.jpg
45KB, 480x547px
>>33030683
>I don't have enough characters left to complete this list and I'm too lazy to make multiple posts so just take this for what it's worth I ges
>Phone Poster
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Your completely right though aside from breeding being easier than ever to the point that a down syndrome chimpanzee could do It If given some 4 iv dittos or a 6 iv
>>
>>33030620
because we're the offspring of /v/, so it's only natural
>>
Because every single time i look at SM again there's yet another thing they've done wrong. Name a thing in SM, and I can probably point out a problem it has.
>>
>>33030620
Some of the shit /vp/ complains about is just autistic screeching, but there are legitimate flaws with newer games. A big one being removal of old features that really didn't need removing, or the implementation of new features that are entirely unnecessary/failed attempts at the reintroduction of old concepts.

PSS is a big one, it was easily the most user friendly UI the series has had, but in SM they opted to replace it with the weird, clunky Festival Plaza. The plaza itself is a failed rehash of Join Avenue from BW2 which completely misses what made Join Avenue fun/useful/good in the first place.

That's not to say that the new games don't introduce anything good, of course, but even the good stuff tends to come with unfortunate limitations or quirks as well. Hyper Training is good as a concept, you could save some time by just breeding the right nature and egg moves and then filling out whatever IVs you need via hyper training. Except in order to hyper train, your Pokemon has to be level 100, so in every case besides legendaries, you're better off just breeding for the IVs you need instead. Or just injecting.
>>
>>33030644
>lack of features
No, it's the opposite: there's TOO MANY features. The problem is that most to all of them are garbage, so you ignore them and it looks like there aren't any features.
>removal of old features
>m-muh battle frontier
>m-muh pwt
>dae pokemon follo u???
Every fucking game has its one-off features and they're always tossed up and thrown away either a game or generation later. Really looked like the battle frontier was gonna stick, even if it did change every generation, but even that didn't stick around. They do this on purpose, you know that, right? They claim it keeps "every game fresh with new ways to play". You and I both know that's horseshit, but it's nothing new.
>mediocre to bad execution of new features
Yes.
>new focus on narrative, which is poorly written
Not liking the narrative focus is subjective, but I think everyone can agree it's poorly delivered and a waste of potential for people who actually want to like the narrative.
>poorly made regions with lack of interesting new locations
The regions and locations are fine, they're just so EMPTY. Kalos and Alola were fantastic places full of original concepts that could have really been something, but at almost every turn they stripped and simplified all the areas to be either a single room, an on-rails experience, or fucking both. They poured a good foundation, but threw up their hands and quit before they could build on it.
>>
>>33030718

I wasn't posting from my phone. I still only had a thousand characters.

I don't give a fuck how easy breeding is, the concept of it is still fucking retarded and you still wouldn't ever know how to do it without googling that shit, collecting the necessary items, getting the pokemon with the necessary moves/abilities, and then biking up and down in a loop for an hour, then raising a pokemon from level 1. I was excited for hyper training because I thought it would be a legitimate way for non breeders to get good IVs but I was wrong, there's no fucking way to get a pokemon to level 100 in the game that doesn't involve hyper tedium and killing the elite four like 40 times.

Whether breeding is 20 hours of busywork or two hours of busywork it's a bad mechanic. Make it fun, intuitive, skill intensive, do something other than make it a chore that nobody legitimately wants to do. Until then Showdown is a million times more convenient, even if you're against injecting.
>>
>>33030809

I actually liked the story in S/M, that's the thing I don't think people understand when I complain about the story. Was it a tearjerker? No. Was I super, SUPER invested in it or any of it's characters? No. Was it rich enough in characterization or lore for me to be fully immersed in it? No.

I enjoyed the story just fine, I didn't really button mash through it, it was kind of charming, I liked the characters okay. But that was it, it was like the story of a shitty feel good anime for babies and nothing more. The story was fine, and yet I never ever have any desire to revisit it again and I probably already forgot most of it. I still consider this an improvement over XY and B/W, but even with a story I consider to be okay I'd still rather them just not have one at all. It's Pokemon, they are never going to have a story deep or complex enough for me, a grown man, to give a fuck about. So just get rid of it. Even a good story would be a downgrade from past gens.
>>
>>33030620
Maybe bacause they're shit?
>>
>>33030718

And since I'm typing up posts in this thread anyways I will actually add to my list.

-I honestly much preferred how limited pokemon movesets were in earlier games. Definitely an opinion. TMs were one time uses, no egg moves, no tutor moves. A pokemon can have fantastic stats and a shit movepool like Pinsir, but it can also work in reverse. Everything can't cover everything. It was a special treat for you to have coverage outside of Normal and whatever type you happen to be. Attacks were more special too, since pokemon can learn so many different powerful attacks using something with 70 BP now is shit unless it has some special broken ability when before it was completely fine. Your fire type is a fire type, not a fire type with focus blast, flash cannon, stone edge, and flamethrower. It felt more like you were "working with what you had". In gen 1, you had ONE pokemon in the entire game to be your Toxic user. It was special. You had to make it count.
>>
>>33030668
>The 3d models for the pokemon look washed out and are not accurately colored
>not accurately colored
But that's wrond
>>
>>33030718

-Also I genuinely find the graphics and the music and everything to just be way more timeless in the older games. I can't name a single gym leader from Kalos or a trial leader from Alola outside of the ones I only remember their names because of hentai. I can't name a single location in either game except Poni Poni Island. The only song from all of Moon I remember is the battle music for the Elite Four, and that's because I spammed fighting them to try to get level 100 pokemon for hyper training. Of course I know every character in the earlier games by name, every location by name, and every song in the game. The aesthetic to me is way more comfy and I personally just enjoy the sprites more than I enjoy current model pokemon which usually look washed out.

I don't mind improved graphics, I'm actually incredibly excited for the Wii U pokemon game. But there's a point where 3D graphics are so shitty that you're better off with 2D sprites, you know what I mean?
>>
>>33032687
>wrond
Wrong*
>>
>>33030620
I blame ORAS

XY was mostly liked despite some problems and generally one of the most exciting times in the series. It wasn't until ORAS not having the battle frontier that people started bandwagonning hate for the new games.
>>
All in all, I'm waiting excitedly for the ability to play Gold/Silver on my 3DS and I have no plans to even buy US/UM. Money isn't an issue for me. I genuinely just feel no need to buy them now, I don't care.

I don't think that's my fault, I think that's a problem with GF.
>>
>>33030628
/thread
>>
>emphasis on a lackluster narrative and not enough exploration.
>too much handholding
>cutscenes or walls of text every new town
>>
>>33030628
came here to post this
>>
>>33030620
They "grew" up.
>>
I feel like they tried too much.
They wanted to shake things by changing fundamental aspects of Pokémon games, such as Gyms, National Pokédex, old Pokémon with new types, etc. But it was too much.

> Gyms were replaced with Trials - ok, it can be fun but... why not letting us have a Pokémon Battle against the Captains after the Trial? It would've been more fun, more challenging and it would've had that Gym flavour that Trials alone lack;

> They decided to retype some old Pokémon - ok. But why so few? Why all of them from Gen1? Why most of them just became Ice or Dark? And why weren't they able to find a better reason for Alolan Raichu retype?

> No Nat Dex, again, why?! They decided to put a Rotom in our Pokédex, but Rotom doesn't exist in the Rotomdex database. That's ridiculous. Also, it's not fun anymore to transfer our old Pokémon from the previous versions, since they will have a blank space in their descriptions where the Dex number is supposed to be.

> Too many cutscenes, too many, really. After the Pokémon league it's horrible. You're not able to save your game for something like 10 minutes.

> Rivals don't exist, the game is not challenging. Everybody gives your Pokémon full health before and after a battle. That's so boring.

I think they tried really too much, but they couldn't work well on their ideas.
>>
>>33032823
Kys
>>
I don't think they are actually bad games. For me it's just the thought that with the kind of money GF has they should be capable of making alot better games than what they actually do. GF is either seriously uncompetetive or just plain out lazy as fuck. Probably both. It feels they are not trying hard enought with the new games and that's why they suck.
>>
>>33030620
Contrarianism, lack of post game, and major depression disorder. Give it five years and ORAS will be considered one of the better games.
>>
For the same reason /tv/ hates all superhero movies and that /v/ hates Skyrim. They just need something to hate on. They don't need a reason, let alone a good one
>>
>>33030628
fpbp
>>
The reason why Gamefreak removes features is the same reason why dog owners cycle through toys. Dogs get bored playing with the same toys after a while so instead of buying a bunch of new toys, they just give them one toy and cycle through them so it looks new and different.
>>
>>33032675
>In gen 1, you had ONE pokemon in the entire game to be your Toxic user. It was special. You had to make it count.

As if every kid on earth didn't know the Missingno glitch to effectively have infinite use TM's. And half the dex having nothing but Normal attacks sucked dick.
>>
>>33034079

I don't take glitches into account when I'm talking about how fun the game is. I didn't glitch shit when I played Pokemon as a young kid and I don't glitch when I play it now, even though I know I can.

Also, I like that most attacks were normal type back then. This is definitely an opinion and I'm not claiming it's an objective thing. It made it so being able to learn a really good move like Body Slam was special. You couldn't just slap Return on everything you wanted. Also, it makes since that most things have Normal attacks, since well, its fucking Normal. Your charizard might have Wing Attack and Flamethrower or something, but it can still Slash people too.

Sometimes it does suck because some pokemon are completely unusable like Yanma in the older games, but generally I find it improves my experience.

Also, I found Parasect is absolutely based in gen 1. STAB Leech Life is better than you'd think. It's super effective against every fully evolved Grass type in gen 1
>>
>>33034112
>STAB Leech Life is better than you'd think

oh wow a whopping 60BP after taking into account the move being SE, i'm impressed. Besides, tiny movepools were a pain in the ass, it's not fun Tackling half the game and using Strength on the other half
>>
File: 1466797204533.gif (2MB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1466797204533.gif
2MB, 360x360px
>>33030628
>>
>>33030620
because everything after gen 1 was shit
>>
>>33030628
(You)
>>
>>33034311

It's actually 120 BP since it's 4x effective against every grass type.

Exeggutor is half psychic and since Bug is super effective on Poison in gen 1 it's also quad on Venusaur, Victreebell, and Vileplume.

Tinier movepools made the game more about stats and your choice of Pokemon than it did about the attacks you used.

Also remember there's some attacks in Gen 1 that we're good that became terrible only as time went on, like Slash, Body Slam, Bubblebeam, Sludge, etc
>>
>>33034861
Sludge never got worse, it just got outclassed once Poison moves with more than 60BP appeared
>>
>>33034958

Semantics. It's usable in gen 1 and never after that. You get what I mean.
>>
>>33030683
>Gen 1
>Being good
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.