[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who was the toughest gym leader for you as a kid?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: jasmine.png (61KB, 150x428px) Image search: [Google]
jasmine.png
61KB, 150x428px
I took Chikorita
>>
File: 39391973_p0.jpg (401KB, 842x595px) Image search: [Google]
39391973_p0.jpg
401KB, 842x595px
>>33026867
Probably because I picked Charmundah. Bubblebeam isn't even as menacing as I remembered.
>>
File: pokemon yellow.gif (885KB, 500x352px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon yellow.gif
885KB, 500x352px
>>33026867
>>
>>33026867
>Gym leader
No one, the only one who actually made me sweat was Hoenn champion Steven, and only because I didn't know the typings for Claydol and Metagross. I picked Blaziken
>>
File: horsehead.jpg (64KB, 600x784px) Image search: [Google]
horsehead.jpg
64KB, 600x784px
>>33026898
>his first Pokemon game was in the third generation
>>
>>33026903
>reading comprehension
Not a single gym leader is worth shit, not even as a kid, did you seriously had difficulty with any of those shitters? I played all the games and only the puzzles and victory roads were challenging
>>
All the Gym Leaders that gave me trouble were female.

>Misty because all out offense
>Whitney's Miltank combined with my then lack of value for Fighting types
>Elesa because Emolga raped everything until I could land Smack Down then Bulldoze it.
>>
>>33026867
>not having a water type or move by then when surf is required to even fight her
I took Chikorita as well, Falkner probably would've given me trouble but I always grabbed the Onix. I remember Surge catching me off guard when I reached Kanto.

>>33026940
>when you were a kid
>elesa
Brett?
>>
>>33027022
>>when you were a kid
Missed that part.

Still, running blind and not being fully privy to movesets, there will be roadblocks that can throw you off a bit.
>>
>>33027039
I agree, I took Tepig and Emolga gave me a hard time as well.
>>
>>33026940
>Whitney's Milktank
That fucking thing.
Also that no value for fighting types. Pretty much the same reason. I kept to a more or less samey build for all my teams. Fire, water, grass, elect, dragon, ghost/psy. I never really thought to step away from that and slap that bitch with a machop or heracross.
>>
Tate and Liza in Emerald.
Yes, I was mad when I saw how disgustingly easy they were in ORAS
>>
Misty, Koga, Norman, Winona, Emerald Tate & Liza
>>
>>33027310
>Norman

Same for me anon. Because I was a stupid child and didn't understand how truant worked.
>>
>>33027308
Oh my Jesus this. I started with Red and Blue when I was like 6, and nothing in the game was really tough because I powerleveled in a way only small children can. My logic was that I needed to be better than all the other trainers in an area so I just stayed 10+ above them. Did the same in Gold and Silver.

Come Emerald, I was already like 13 so I actually understood the game and had some strategy, but I always picked Torchic or Treeko because they were the coolest. Fuck Tate and Liza, and also Winona. They were the only two leaders to ever give me real trouble.

I recall Byron giving me grief in Diamond, but I was an adult then so I don't think it counts.
>>
Fucking Wattson.
I chose treecko...
>>
brock, only because it was pokemon yellow
>>
>>33027533
How the fuck were you supposed to get past him back then anyway?
>>
>>33027591
Mankey.
>>
>>33027596
Ah i remember now. good shit
>>
>>33027444
Emerald Watson was no joke. He always gave me trouble as a kid. Even recently I played through Emerald again without a ground type thinking that I knew enough now to easily handle him and still his Magneton and Manectric handed my ass to me.
>>
>>33026886
Fuck you talking about, Bubblebeam is one of the most hardcore move animations/sound effects in gen 1.
>>
Norman
The one girl with the militant
And that is it. The rest got easier as I grew up
>>
>>33027591
You could also grind up a Butterfree, in Yellow it learns Confusion immediately upon evolution at lv10 unlike Red/Blue's lv12
>>
>>33026867
I remember Giovanni being hard for some reason but I was really really young when pokemon came out. Gold and silver it was probably whitley god damn did miltank fuck me up
>>
>>33029392
Yeah. In Gen 1.
It was the sound of slow crawling rape coming out of Starmie's gem.

Now it's just some attack without a broken stat to puff it up.
>>
>>33026867
Well, as a kid I might be misremembering some, but here I go.

I wasn't as interested in Charmander as everyone else. I always liked Bulbasaur because my mom did too. Brock and Misty were easy for me. Surge wasn't tough. Erika was handled fairly easily.

Dead fucking stop. It took me weeks to get passed Koga's gym. "but he's not tough retar-"

Well, I didn't realize you could save anywhere (yeah I know) and I thought you couldn't save in buildings. So I would save outside the gym. Run inside. take. For. EVER clearing the maze. and then fight Koga. Lose. And start outside.

Eventually I figured out that I should go, beat ALL the trainers, go outside. Heal. Save. Then go inside and try to get to Koga through those fucking walls. EVENTUALLY I beat the guy. Sabrina was literally the same shit. I'd learned my lesson about clearing the gym then saving outside. But I couldn't think out the warp puzzles and just walked into them randomly until I got to her. Would lose. Restart.

Blane was easy because I had a Water type by this point and I'd mastered clearing gyms before saving outside and his puzzle was easy to walk through after the fact. Giovanni was more or less the same.

I wont go through all the leaders in G/S/C, but like most kids who didn't pick the Machop trade or had an Onix/Geodude I struggled. I also only wanted to use new Pokemon, so I had a Quilava, Hoothoot, Sentret, Spinarak, and Togepi at the first time I fought her. All male. No fighting moves. Tough fight. I remember my strat to this day.

Fought Whitney. Lead with Togepi. Killed Clefairy, lost to Miltank. Tossed out Spinarak, used scary face until i died to roll out. Sentret used rock smash until it died. Tossed out quilava. Rock smash till it died too and then tossed out Hoothoot and used Peck to try and knock out a slowed and weakened defense Miltank with PECK and Mud slap.

It took me a bit before I finally got enough -def bonuses and accuracy downs to win.
>>
>>33026867
all of gold was hard for me since i had a Japanese cart as a kid and didnt know what the fuck was happening. My gligar would level up forever if it leveled up once so i had to box it. I released my starter on accident so I only had sentret for a while.
I swore unkown would evolve so i kept him on my team.

Furret raped everything to death.
Unknown couldn't be stopped
Heracross never fainted i think
Kadabra was OP
And spearow was kind of an anchor

Good times
>>
>>33027591
Nidoran Male learns double kick
Mankey
Butterfree
grinding Ratta to level 20 and using Raticate

that's about it
>>
>>33032933
Or Double Team + Tail Whip + Quick Attack + Potion spam if you're really stubborn/retarded. Worked for me.
>>
>>33026867

None.
>>
>>33029587
>I thought you couldn't save in buildings
I think we all had retarded shit like this when we were kids
>>
Whitney and Misty. Whitney for the obvious reasons, Misty because of Gen 1 speed based crit chances, lack of healing items that can keep up, and sometimes you're just running without a Water resist and you're basically fucked.

Wattson is pretty bad too in the originals if you picked Treecko, there's few options to really damage his steel magnets.
>>
>>33026867
not a gym leader, but i really struggled against the hoenn elite 4
>>
I don't remember the circumstances but I did lose to Koga once.
>>
>>33027329
how is it possible to not understand how truant works
>>
>>33029587
>>33027292

My strategy for Whitney was to use the Rollout TM that you find somewhere on my Quilava, build up momentum with Rollout against Whitney's Clefairy (pray I wouldn't get hit with attract) then when Miltank comes out, Rollout is already at stage 4.
>>
File: bestbro.png (17KB, 445x504px) Image search: [Google]
bestbro.png
17KB, 445x504px
>>33026867
>not catching heracross as soon as you're taught headbutt
>not singlehandedly demolishing the normal, fighting, steel, and ice gyms with best bug
>>
>>33026867
Brock probably, because my first game was Yellow. I remember Sabrina being pretty though too.
Every other game was a breeze, in comparison. Or maybe it was just because I'm older.

Also right now, I'd call up Bugsy in Sacred Gold as the most fucking annoying gym leader, because I wiped thrice to him already in Nuzlocke runs. He's really a bitch and a half if you don't have a reliable bug counter in your team that isn't a fire pokemon.
>>
>>33027350
>I powerleveled in a way only small children can
You actually liked grinding? As a kid I hated grinding every little bit as much as I do now. I was (still am for the most part) perennially underleveled, with generally only my starter ever around the level of a new area's trainers.
Fucking hell, I literally delegated leveling up to my gameboy-less cousin, for whom any chance to play was better than nothing, I hated grinding so damn much.
>>
>>33034973
Your cousin was a cuck
>>
>>33032933
Alternatively you could have made a team of 1 pikachu and 5 pidgey, and sand-attacked your way to victory, one quick attack or gust at a time.

Good lord was I retarded as a kid.
>>
>>33034988
I did abuse her something fierce.
Fun fact: she got married today.
>>
>>33035025
Were you invited to the wedding anon?
>>
>>33035031
Yes. Got back a couple hours ago.
>>
>>33035042
Is she ugly or cute?
>>
>>33035054
She's not my type at all but I wouldn't call her ugly.
She's got a nice face, but I love tall girls and she's a womanlet. Plus she uses a lot of makeup and I'm into clean faced girls.
When I think about it, she's my wife's aesthetic opposite.
>>
>>33026867
On my current playthrough I have Bayleaf, Pupitar, Ampharos, Espeon, Scyther and Crobat. I have lost to her Steelix three times already. Pupitar is the only pokemon that can touch it, but even with +3 attack (DD) I can only do 50% damage and it is ohko'ed by iron tail. I refuse to use another pokemon or items... Planned to use Kingdra but took the Eevee at the end.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.