[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hoenn (Emerald) has the best level design in the series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: Hoenn_RS.png (2MB, 1280x724px) Image search: [Google]
Hoenn_RS.png
2MB, 1280x724px
Hoenn (Emerald) has the best level design in the series
>>
>>33022111
Its not bad at all.

I remember being pleasantly satisfied when I started RSE. I wasn't sure they could follow up Johto but they did. I missed Shoal Cave completed my first play through.
>>
>>33022111
it's disappointing how much better of a tropical region hoenn was compared to alola
>>
>>33022111
better than whatever shit came after.
hoenn safari zone a shit tho.
>>
>>33022111
define good level design
don't get me wrong, I love the fuck out of Hoenn but I see this thrown around a lot
what exactly is good level design?
>>
>>33022111
>no route gates
>variety of biomes that are nicely blended

One of my favorite regions
>>
File: IMG_0812.jpg (27KB, 600x705px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0812.jpg
27KB, 600x705px
When people say rpgs have levels. And no I don't mean leveling up smart asses.
>>
i love how hoenn is a yin/yang symbol
>>
File: Hoenn_Route_115_E.png (40KB, 640x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Hoenn_Route_115_E.png
40KB, 640x1280px
>>33022355
Two things: good dungeons, and optional/hidden areas.

A "dungeon" in the case of Pokémon isn't just limited to a cave but can be almost interior as long as it has some complexity to the map layout. Places like Tin Tower and the Abandoned Ship are dungeons even though they're not caves.

Optional and hidden locations are self-explanatory, but for a good example, see the northern half of Hoenn Route 115 (pic related).
>>
>>33022378
would you rather we called it 'chapters'/'episodes'?

also some RPGs DO have levels. in criminal girls for example, the whole game is one big dungeon where you go from one floor to the next and there is little to do in floors you have already cleared.
>>
>>33022378
Level design isn't a term bound by genre. The construction a map in literally any kind of video game is level design. Designing a race track in a car is level design.
>>
File: Hoenn_Route_120_ORAS.png (2MB, 880x1472px) Image search: [Google]
Hoenn_Route_120_ORAS.png
2MB, 880x1472px
>>33022111
>make a zigzag with a zigzag in it
>good design
>>
>>33022417
*In a car game

I meant to say.
>>
>>33022393
>land
>water
>volcano
>sootopolis
I'm a little drunk and this just mind fucked me. Thank you anon
>>
>>33022393
holy FUCK
>>
>>33022441
You're retarded
>>
yup, only autists with hydrophobia disagree
>>
>>33022421
GOAT route.
>>
>>33022393
never noticed that before.
>>
>>33022393
>ORAS fucks this up by making the ocean full of islands instead of expanding dive spots
>>33022429
>ORAS fucks this up by making the water volcano actually a meteor
>>
>>33022355
variety in terrains if it's a map.

like you got a swamp, a volcano region, a desert, lush greens, woods, muh water route, beach, urban and so forth.
>>
>>33022111
Imagine Hoenn being twice the region it is and if it had 16 gyms. that would be cool.

at the very least I got Flora Sky to scratch that itch.
>>
You are now aware that the region is shaped like the Yin/Yang symbols, with Kyogre's and Groudon's caves as centerpoints.
>>
>>33022393
>>33022429
what the fuck
>>
File: cena_goes_to_hoenn.jpg (371KB, 1250x884px) Image search: [Google]
cena_goes_to_hoenn.jpg
371KB, 1250x884px
I would argue ORAS does just because it seems to have a few more dive spots. But then again Emerald has Team Magma's HQ. Regardless, it's safe to say Hoenn is the best designed region, and only fanboys would disagree. Not only does it emphasize exploration and gives the player the option to skip certain gyms, but it managed to do so without breaking it's level curve.

Regions like Unova and Alola were linear like a straw, but Johto's biggest flaw is it's retarded level spike. Kanto is the only region that is like Hoenn in this regard, but Kanto was just grasslands and caves.
>>
>>33022355
>I love the fuck out of Hoenn
no you don't
>>
>>33022421
>ORAS uses dark green pallette and conifers everywhere
>instead of the bright green trees and tealish grass used in RSE
reeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>33022111
/board
>>
>page 10
>>
>>33027088
Well nobody's actually been able to disagree with OP so there's not much discussion going on.
>>
>>33024368
Eh, I'd say Johto's distribution is a bigger issue than its weird level scaling. You at least end up 8-10 levels below the champion with a 6 mon team like in most games but for whatever reason Johto really refused to take advantage of the variety it offered. There's a lot of diversity in its mons (especially in HGSS) but the encounter tables are fucked.
>>
>>33022233
Thats because Hoenn is surrounded by ocean and actually uses it, that's what made the difference
If USUM up the ante on that aspect, It'll be a huge improvement
>>
>>33024368
>I would argue ORAS does just because it seems to have a few more dive spots. But then again Emerald has Team Magma's HQ.
Emerald also had:
>Mirage tower
>Steven's room in Meteor Falls
>Terra/Marine Cave
>Expanded Safari Zone
>Artisan Cave
>Desert Underpass
>Altering Cave
>Event Islands like Navel Rock
Emerald brought a lot more areas to Hoenn.

I also really like Unova, you had a ton of post game areas to go to.
>>
File: maxie.png (46KB, 197x168px) Image search: [Google]
maxie.png
46KB, 197x168px
>>33023644
N-NANI?!
>>
>>33027237
I like early-game Unova where it sort of feels like you're exploring the woods behind your house more than trekking through the untamed wilderness. The urban/suburban vibe was really cool, and I wished they'd kept it going more later on. The volcano was especially jarring in BW2.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.