[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw forever a sub-1300 shitter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

File: delete-this-feel-men-s-t-shirt.jpg (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
delete-this-feel-men-s-t-shirt.jpg
23KB, 300x300px
>tfw forever a sub-1300 shitter
>>
>>33020616
What is decent teambuilding?
>>
>>33020616
>tfw the highest ive ever been was 1308 or sth
>>
Be happy that you're not constantly fighting stallfags at the higher ladder
>>
File: 1472256075417.jpg (42KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1472256075417.jpg
42KB, 400x300px
>1450 in RBY OU
>Sub-1300 in every other gen
>>
File: IMG_0015.jpg (114KB, 513x519px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0015.jpg
114KB, 513x519px
>>33021007
>1400-1500
>typical stall user starts sableye
>I start pinsir and swords dance on the burn
>reveal facade
>mega sableye fainted
>stall user forfeits
Feels good
>>
File: 1460613060584.png (259KB, 358x339px) Image search: [Google]
1460613060584.png
259KB, 358x339px
Highest I ever got was ~1800 on Random Battle.

Other than that I get to ~1350 on UU, RU, NU, and PU. I've been trying out OU Doubles recently (Where admittedly 5 of my 6 Pokemon are NU/PU) and I'm at around ~1200 now.
>>
>>33020633
How do I get good at team building? I pick teammates that seem to fit well together only for the team to get bopped 5 matches in a row
>>
>that one player on a throwaway account on the low ladder that's actually good when you're expecting shitters
>>
File: IMG_4015.jpg (20KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4015.jpg
20KB, 320x240px
>tfw got to 1550~ on VGC 2016 just a week or so after starting to play that format

Man, this thread is making me want to get back into competitive battling for some reason
>>
Low ladder is more fun than high ladder. I've been to upper 1700s before and it's not that great. Everybody's so tough you don't win too often. Low ladder is more fun you can get away with using shitmons about half the time and everybody sucks so you win a lot.

>>33021318
Find something broken and ruthlessly exploit it. I figured out Wobbuffet and a setup sweeper (I used Manaphy) or Tyrantiar for Pursuit Trapping + Black Kyurem was great at destroying balanced cores, which were everywhere after greninja was banned in XY last gen. So I built the team around that and Talonflame since it was overpowered as fuck too, and cheesed my way to the 1700s. Then Shadow Tag got banned and I was out of ideas for a while. Then I did the same thing again in UU with a rain team. Then in early SM I made a retardedly good UU team with Porygon-Z just before that one got banned too. Just find the brokenest looking shit and try to build your whole team around supporting it.
>>
>>33021682
I remember I went up to the 1670's in early XY with Expert Belt Genesect when everyone was expecting scarf. It was the most hilarious thing ever. Good times.
>>
> tfw your team is decent but you are too much of an idiot to use it properly
>>
>>33021007
>http://www.smogon.com/stats/2017-06/metagame/gen7ou-1825.txt
>8.45231%
>>
>>33021682
Nowadays it's Zard-Y+Dugtrio which is hilariously good. Dugtrio in general is broke as shit, and not just on stall. Zygarde/SG Mage+Veil is pretty disgusting too.
>>
File: 1480157682868.png (762KB, 942x696px) Image search: [Google]
1480157682868.png
762KB, 942x696px
>tfw you overestimate your opponents ability to actually make predictions and decent plays so you make bold decisions that often cause your pokemon to get their ass handed to them
>>
>>33020616
>Best rank ever gotten was ORAS Ubers, and was barely top 100
> In OU I just scratch top 500 and suck in everything else

I Guess I will main ubers
>>
>>33021871
Ubers is fun tough. XY before Primals fucked it up was funner, but current ubers is fucking awesome.
>>
>Top 50 in pre-platinum 4th gen as a 13 year old
>Can't make it past 1300 with my own team ever since

I do have to admit I did get plenty of help building that team though.
>>
>>33021852

I like to call that getting "out-retarded". It's not getting outsmarted because you were actually doing the right thing that a normal person at your skill level would've done, but the other person just did something so fucking retarded that it literally worked out the exact opposite way it should've.

Sort of the same principle as "the best swordsman in the world fears not the second-best, but the worst", except you're not the best "swordsman" in this example..but the analogy holds pretty well.
>>
>>33021318
example?

anyway, make team members cover each other weaknesses and maybe use each other to set-up, but make sure they can work on their own as well. unless you go full bp.
>>
>>33021993

>full BP

how do we tell him guys...
>>
>decide to git gud and ladder seriously for a few days
>peak at the 1750s
>lose like 10 games in a row and drop to the 1400s
>cant get past 1500s anymore
fuck
>>
>>33022000
i know baton pass is banned, but there is a world outside of smogon.
>>
>>33022018

which world outside of smogon uses ELO? Does "sub-1300" mean something in VGC that I've never heard of?
>>
>>33022040
oh right, good point. i failed to notice the person i replied to wanted teambuilding in smogon.
>>
>>33021824
How are these stats even gathered?
>>
>>33020616
bronze sucks when all you have is a handful of hanzo mains
>>
>>33022105

every time you play a match in the pokemon showdown battle simulator, very granular data are collected about lots of aspects of that battle. What mons you used, what your rating is, what mons your opponent used, what their rating is, what tier you're playing in, as well as the movesets/items/natures/EVs/IVs of all pokemon in the battle.

Then a few of their in-house statisticians play around with it and make a bunch of tabluations so that it looks readable to your average human, and release it publicly each month.
>>
i've gotten to top 5 in monotype and mix and mega, and 1900 or so in random battle. competitive gets stale quickly though since there are only handfuls of viable pokémon and most teams that work well in the metagame fit into a mold where each pokémon has a role that can be interchanged with other viable pokémon that fill that role, but ultimately the team plays the same anyway. essentially, there are only a handful of viable teams and people just switch around what pokémon fill what roles and team building gets tedious.
>>
honest question how do you even stay below 1300, i hit 1300+ using garbage RP teams on alts just because nearly everyone else is using garbage
>>
File: IMG_0475.jpg (72KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0475.jpg
72KB, 320x371px
>>33022222

>how do you stay below 1300
>i hit 1300+ because everyone is using garbage

>asking the question and answering it yourself so you can humble brag
>>
>>33022222
This desu
>>
>>33022222
nice quints
>>
>elohell posts
>in pokemon
Seriously how bad can you be, copypasting a sample team is enough to get you to 1500 at the absolute minimum
>>
>>33022013
are you me?
>made a team that is good against rain and sticky web teams
>reach 1780 just battling against rain, sticky web and some bulky offensive teams
>suddenly nobody is using rain or sticky web teams so I lose the most of battles
>now struggling to get in 1600 again
>>
>>33022256
Rain and webs are a mid ladder meme. Their usage plummets at high ladder.
>>
we should bring back /cpg/

only problem is that the faggots that run the showderp room own the cpg room on showdown, and they won't let anybody in who's not a part of their friendgroup circlejerk.
>>
>>33022222
Ladder decay and not playing often enough.
>>
File: Mark.jpg (81KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Mark.jpg
81KB, 480x480px
>>33020633
>>
>>33022186
Not that anon, but how the sim determinates what is stall and what not? Or the line between offense and hyper offense? I have seen some anons around here using offensive teams with typical stalling mons to fuck up their opps and I am curious how it would be classified
>>
I'm actually talented at battling but would trade it just to not be so socially awkward
>>
>>33023679
thats easy. just follow the herd.
if you stop playing games that people see as kids games and start spending more time on social medias (but not 4chan) you will be a normalfag and much less socially akward.
>>
>tfw eternally 1500
>>
>>33023687
Same here. I feel like I know just as much about the meta as the people at the top of the ladder, but there's just something missing.
>>
>>33023672

I have no clue, honestly. If they've ever talked about that publicly, I don't know where the posts are, but my guess is that it's some heuristic mixture of specific Pokemon with specific items, and those specific Pokemon with specific items being on the same team as each other.

Like, eviolite Chansey is not a stall mon on its own, groundium Z dugtrio is not a stall mon on its own, physdef skarm is not a stall mon, toxapex isn't, physdef defog zapdos isn't, and SpeDef mega sableye isn't....but all on the same team they result in a "stall playstyle", and everyone knows how a game against that team is going to be played.
>>
>>33023479
Who are they?
>>
>>33023672
maybe by checking how many turns the battles take?
not that accurate count, but its a start.
>>
>>33023853
I think you are right anon, thank you. The only problem I see it's using not typical stalling mons, like stall Shedinja last gen. But I guess they adjust the algorithm and it's not like every mon can do well in a different playstyle to the one it was designe to be

>>33023907
That could lead to players making their battles last longer only for the sake of trolling. I think >>33023853 might be right
>>
>>33023936
>battles last longer
stall players. if their team can't stall, they will fail in making battles last longer, and if their team is made for stall than counting them would be correct.
>>
at risk youth (Crawdaunt) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

specs tacular (Xurkitree) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Energy Ball

mega arrowdactile (Aerodactyl-Mega) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake

left nut of exodia (Forretress) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

My shy cat (Mienshao) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- High Jump Kick

mommyswine (Mamoswine) @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

I have no idea what I'm doing. I also went through gliscor and chandelure. Wish I could see the viability charts like the OU one that always gets posted
>>
>>33023961
This feels like a UU team.
>>
>>33023965
perhaps i should've clarified it is
>>
>>33023961
>Wish I could see the viability charts like the OU one that always gets posted

Have you tried going into the UU forum and checking the big sticky called "UU VIABILITY RANKINGS"? That sounds like it could be useful
>>
>>33023972
Oh. Here are viability charts, btw: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-uu-viability-ranking-thread-mk-ii.3603387/
>>
File: loser.png (460KB, 625x790px) Image search: [Google]
loser.png
460KB, 625x790px
>Have made literally over 100 shitty meme sets for Showderp
>Throw 6 of them together
>Break 1300 within an hour on a new account
Breaking 1400 requires a little more effort, but there is no excuse for not breaking 1300 unless you're fundamentally not understanding something about the game. Post your team.
For the record, I haven't played the game seriously since Shoddy Battle, when I was ranked 1 in Gen 4 Ubers. Breaking 1300 doesn't require any huge investment of effort.
>>
Guys, what is more important to you when teambuilding?
Covering your typings or covering by stats?
>inb4 both
Yeah, but one probably holds more important to you than the other.
>>
>>33024870
I would say that what matters most is being able to switch into and counter common threats. All of a mon's features factor into whether or not it can take an EQ from Landorus, scare it off, and have a good shot at coping with whatever comes in next. Look at the mons and strategies you're most likely to run into, and look into things which can take them on.
>>
>>33021682
Ditto + Wobuffet was the shit back before the destiny bond nerf. Everyone would try to setup on wobb and then get locked with encore. Then ditto would gain their boosts and sweep.
>>
Your best bet is to Copy and Paste but have one "unexpected" mon. Something that has virtually zero usage, but make sure it can still do its job.

For example, I have a team centered around Haxorus, and my team's sole purpose is getting rid of Celesteela, Skarmory, Toxapex, and Priority. Once I have that gone, just focus on getting him in and you only need one Ddance to shit on everything else.

There are a gazillion other strategies though. Especially with the addition of Mega Manectric, setting the pace of the match with VoltTurn is very viable.

It's also advisable to have one good "backup" that can punch holes but also performs a vital role. For example, I have Mega Alakazam because I also have Lele, both of which shit on Toxapex. Lastly, ALWAYS have stealth rock down. It breaks sashes, Sturdy, and (most importantly) Stall.
>>
>>33025115
This man knows his shit. I find so much using good common strats slighty changed, via using different mons. Like using a weather team or a Trick Room team with a couple of uncommon abusers. There are so many Pokemon in lower tiers outclassed by OU mons but still powerful and able to hold their weight in battle, that can perform as "antimeta" and can be fun to use
>>
>>33022250
Indeed, it makes me confused. I usually use two I just like and build a team around them and a couple hours later I'm usually over 1,500. Then I get bored and usually start doing random battles for a bit, lol.
>>
>>33021343
I do this a lot. Currently 20 and 2 at 1433 or something but honestly it gets boring and I prefer seeing what low ladder shitters come up with
>>
getting gud at teambuilding, for brainlets
>go to smogon dot com
>check your pokeman
>'team options'
>consider the following pokemon listed in team options
>don't use shitmons in OU
>track type coverage; what isn't covered by my team?
etc
>>
>click random on dogars 6 times
>copy paste
>1350
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.