[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What allured you to pokemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: 2vLv0.jpg (476KB, 1410x1600px) Image search: [Google]
2vLv0.jpg
476KB, 1410x1600px
>1998
>hero drought so bad that boys in class are talking about rugrats and winnie the pooh
>read in nintendo power that a show and game about monsters is debuting
>eagerly watch in excitement as there is a show about warrior monsters who fight one another
>I enjoy the series but I get disappointed time after time (game is dated even for back then, show is about bullshit trainners instead of saving the world, etc.)
>also I really disliked the fact that they only said their names

I think the movie was the kicker
>instead of monster battle mayhem, we got out bitched out protagonist screaming "stop it mewtwo"
> faggot hansen music
>and a bullshit message
Tbh the clones should have been mauled by the originals

>i thoroughly enjoyed gold though
>the anime was the same stale shit though
>Digimon was honestly want I wanted in an anime more so with life or death scenarios and monsters that could actually talk

I think I ultimately lost interest around r/se
>started playing jrpgs in between gens
>everyone of these games seemed to be of higher quality
>started watching subbed anime and completely stopped watching anime on tv
>When I saw r/s/e on gamespot way back when, I was actually disappointed in how it looked an skip it entirely
>took a look at colosseum, I ultimately knew I was done.

I tried to get back in around D/P
>Heard there were new battle mechanics and tactics
>Watched the anime subbed and though it was passable
>tried D/P, it was alright but it just paled in comparison to the other games out at the time
>Takuto shit pissed me off

Nowadays I just look at the monster designs and stats, I honestly like most of them but I skip out on the games because I know it will be a mediocre experience.

Tell me what allured you into pokemon and did you stop?
>>
Nice blog.
>>
>>33004637
I am just trying to converse
>>
>>33004728
It's just that most of that seemed like it didn't matter. Do you post regularly on /vp/?
>>
>>33004736
No not really, I am not much of a post I just lurk.....I don't blog either. I just wanted to hear how people came to like or disliking these ones.
>>
>>33004605
I've got nothing else to do.

R/B/Y
>Summer 1998
>5 years old
>my friends tell me all about a thing from Japan called Pokemon
>I get super interested in it
>find out that game gets released a week after my sixth birthday
>tell parents that that's all I want as a gift
>distinctly remember going to K-Mart to get a Gameboy Pocket and Blue Version
>love the shit out of it
>get Red of Christmas and Yellow in Christmas of next year

G/S/C
>see ad for it in magazine
>ask for Silver for Christmas
>get Silver

R/S/E
>see tv ad for the game
>save a bit of money
>bought a bundle pack that had the Ruby with a strategy guide
>eventually bought Emerald
>freaked the fuck out over Battle Frontier
>middle school, entered that phase where Pokemon was too "childish" for me

D/P/Pt
>12th grade
>have some friends that were talking about gen 4
>get back into it by buying Platinum
>freak the fuck out again over the Battle Resort
>hear about gen V and am super hyped for it

B/W & B2/W2
>get White
>love every bit of it
>I was six years old again and playing Pokemon for the very first time
>I beat the game and restarted it several times so I could use all the different Pokemon
>find /vp/
>get hyped for B2/W2
>get White 2 and also loved it

X/Y
>got excited with /vp/
>bought Y
>played the story once
>neutral over the game but I spent a lot of time breeding for shinies

S/M
>got excited with /vp/
>bought Sun on the first day
>stopped at the second island
>would play for like an hour but didn't really enjoy it
>US/UM "trailer" released
>force myself to finish Sun

Not entirely sure if I'll get Ultra Sun. I'll need to see general consensus first. I'll keep playing as long keep making new Pokemon though. This shit took way too long.
>>
>>33004605
>Nowadays I just look at the monster designs and stats, I honestly like most of them but I skip out on the games because I know it will be a mediocre experience.

I also share this sentiment, OP.

Ruby was my first; although I was young and only grasped the concept of pocket monsters on a basic level. My brother and I shared the fun on the cart until Emerald came around. By that time I completely understood what I was doing, and enjoyed it immensely. I have vivid memories of challenging the Battle Pyramid and Battle Pike whenever my brother was doing other chores. Unsurprisingly I'd get my ass handed to me and only manage the silver plaques, but it was the most fun i had with the game series.

Until Gen 4. Then the fun was multiplied tenfold.
>>
>>33004821
Also,
>what allured me?
The Pokemon. Their designs mostly.
>>
Playing puzzle league as a kid. Then watching and picking up first games in gba
>>
File: 1489384626357.jpg (464KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1489384626357.jpg
464KB, 1280x1024px
Bro always played it. He let me play Red when he transferred his stuff to Crystal, but left me some good Pokemon to play with. Went to the Safari Zone and caught my first Pokemon, a Doduo. I named him Red.
Since then, I have played every one.
My brother got me into it, and we played together.
He's gone now, but I'm glad we shared so much.
>>
>>33004637
>>33004736
Go away

People were trading the cards in first grade and being the autistic child I was I was attracted to the fact that they were colorful and cute and you could collect them and there was lots to learn about them

First card was pic related, got into the anime shortly after but didn't get into the games until 3 years later (I though video games were stupid in first grade)

I would say something like "I never thought I'd still be here 12 years later" but actually since middle school I knew it would always be my life
>>
File: 767567566.png (685KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
767567566.png
685KB, 800x800px
>>33004605
>original games and anime first come out in America
>some of my classmates start talking about it and trading cards at recess is common
>not interested at first cause it's the late 90s and fads come and go constantly
>find a poster at Walmart with the original 151 in order with names and get amazed at the variety of different monsters
>curious about it so get dad to buy it for me
>hang poster on wall and eventually get curious enough to get Blue version
>shortly thereafter start collecting cards and watching the anime
>never look back

I stopped playing the games after BW but still lurk here/watch vids on youtube/keep track of the competitive scene/make spreadsheets of stats/etc cause i'm a goddamn autist
>>
>>33004999
>I though video games were stupid in first grade)

are you a girl or did you grow up in the midwest or something?
>>
>>33005169
I'm a girl but it was mostly because everyone had a Game Boy and I didn't
>I-it's fine, I didn't even want to have one of those stupid things anyway!
Something like that
>>
>>33005274
Oh I see.....
>>
>>33004850
Shit, how did your brother go? Always bad feels, sorry to hear.
>>
File: Pokémon.full.405944 (1).jpg (300KB, 785x834px) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon.full.405944 (1).jpg
300KB, 785x834px
>>33004605
>I think the movie was the kicker
>>instead of monster battle mayhem, we got out bitched out protagonist screaming "stop it mewtwo"
>> faggot hansen music
>>and a bullshit message
Was your fault not have watched the japanese version.
>>
>>33004605
Too lazy to write a long story
>first got in contact with Pokémon when my best friend of middle school gave me some of his spare Pokémon cards and my parents bought my brother and I Pokémon Blue that we had to share
>kept playing until Pearl disappointed me that much I temporary lost any interest in the series I had
>got back into it with Black
>still playing to this day

>What allured you to Pokemon?
The Pokémon themselves.
>>
>>33007306
started watching japanese exclusively around hoenn.....It was 1998, the internet sucked back then, finding a torrent of that was impossible till like 2002-2003
>>
>>33004605
I followed websites talking about how much Pocket Monsters was a hit and saving Nintendo from the poorhouse during the N64 era. The game looked a bit cryptic and some monster designs looked a bit disturbing on the Game Boy's limited palette. I just wasn't sure if it be that engaging.

Months passed and over the summer of '98 I saw a commercial for the TV show. Thought it was a little more interesting, since it's been a while since I've seen a cartoon based on a Nintendo property and I was just kicking off my weeb phase, having watched Tenchi, Robotech and dub Sailor Moon (clips of later seasons were in my wheelhouse, so I at least knew the dub wasn't faithful) regularly. Surely Pokemon wouldn't be a bad experience.

Battle Aboard the St. Anne was my first taste outside the screenshots. "Well, damn. I guess I'm gonna try to watch as many episodes as I can" my younger self thought. 1998 was pretty golden and for a while I caught some reruns and even demoed Blue via emulator on a rainy day and stopped at Celadon after a lengthy playthrough, promptly deleting the ROM. Decided I wanted the game for real and put it on my Christmas wishlist.

Singing Pokeraps, downloading Japanese songs, ragequiting against Mewtwo on Stadium, checking out websites and fanfiction sites every now and then. Pokemon became part of my life, even though I didn't buy all the merch, my mom met me halfway by flipping shit on eBay and snagging me some misc. shit like a Best Song collection CD I still treasure to this day.

Oh there were low points with the series. Gold/Silver came out at a strange time in my life, so I wasn't sure I could maintain interest in the series like I could. Stopped a little after Goldenrod and never continued since. The anime started to dull out as well, so I dropped out a few times on Johto up until the Silver Conference where they started plugging Gen 3 shit. Hearing said games would be on GBA, I held out hope that maybe the ride will be fun a 3rd time...
>>
>>33010108
...as with Blue and Silver, figured I'd try out the game on one of the first GBA emulators -- in 2002, so I was playing the Japanese version. Holy hell, I started to get excited about Pokemon again. The running shoes were a nice touch, visually everything was properly colorful (not the first time, but I skipped Crystal), knowing how much a hit or miss the GBA sound quality can be, GameFreak was almost full on the good parts of the GBA's sound capabilities. I didn't hate the trumpets and the Pokemon didn't bother me any more than the first two games did. As before in my "try-before-buying" escapades, I stopped arbitrarily but a lot of Summer nostalgia is definitely tied to that game.

I don't think I'll quit the brand entirely. Low points have happened with Gen 2 and 4, but I doubt it's reached a point where the games will be a drag anymore. The anime may not be what I grew up with, but I got over Misty leaving and the fact that the series isn't a Shonen with a definitive "end." Sun and Moon the anime really aren't that bad either, as it has some artistic choices that arguably would've been good for the Unova arc. Even as a longstanding fan, there's no crime in focusing on the newer audiences, so crying betrayal seems a waste.

It is what it is.
>>
>>33004999
>>33005169
>>33005274
>girl
>namefagging
Typical, first thing you do on this board is fish for attention, bitch.
>>
>>33004605
>What allured you to pokemon

The pokemon of course
>fire breathing dragon
>turtle with cannons
>fire doggo
>scary ghosts
>serpent dragon
>mecha mewtwo

I was kid, i liked monsters. Pokemon has a lot of interesting designs.

Simple as that.

Why is everyone posting blogs.
>>
>>33010249
Since they're willing to release Ash-Greninja and Pikachu with hats they better fucking release battle suit Mewtwo one day.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.