[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Accidental Gen 1 Mood?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13

File: 1493085178865.jpg (83KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1493085178865.jpg
83KB, 600x800px
saw this on /v/ earlier about gen 1. Never heard this before but it's 10/10

>The best part is how it was supposed to be cheerful and happy, but being on Game Boy, with lowres graphics, chiptune music, and desolate cities, it felt dark, sinister and depressive. This completely incidental mood is largely responsible for its success, and some of the earliest memes on which the series still sail.

>It also had a perfect rooster of Pokemons, large enough to make them collectable, small enough to make a decently balanced game on which the average player can focus over the course of a single playthrough. The gameplay was straightforward and accessible too, anyone could pick it up and play, it didn't feel like you had to be an expert in Pokemon to play it, just an ordinary kid who likes video games. Sequels just added too many Pokemons to the point of silliness that weren't as good as the originals, and too many new mechanics for its own good while bringing no new major feature to a reused concept that already felt old. And they made the mood more cheerful, killing the unlikely charm of the original. Proof is, while countless people played the originals and remember them dearly, few of them continued to play the sequels.

>The original isn't even in line with the anime, or any other material at the time. It's like a game that came from a separate timeline where Pokemon games are creepy and people play them alone at night under their covers. A timeline where Game Boys with backlit screens are widespread apparently.

This is blowing my mind. Any other oldfags here felt the same?
>>
>>32993265
Everyone enjoyed Pokemon and everyone was actually putting hours into it, didnt matter what your 'gender' or 'color' was.

By DPP a lot of ppl moved onto whatever other things they were doing, BW probably deserved more fan-fare than it got.
>>
>>32993265
Cringe

Every retro game has a noir feeling to it
>>
File: 1498175607809.jpg (78KB, 509x602px) Image search: [Google]
1498175607809.jpg
78KB, 509x602px
>>32993327
I just mean this mistaken-grim atmosphere.

I know I felt that way, was it really just a consequence of hardware limitations?

So many creepypasta, obviously there was some uncanny-valley-like effect around the first, maybe first two gens.

I find this fascinating honestly. I wish the dude had to go on.

I remember feeling like there were really dark secrets in the game, might be just my autism tho
>>
File: 1485815189325.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1485815189325.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>32993342
cringe? What do you mean?

I know you spend a lot of time on reddit but cringe isn't a synonym for "I don't like this"
>>
>>32993265
sounds like something my english teacher would say
>>
Dispute me all you want but while 1 isn't necessarily the best gen, Kanto is absolutely the best region. FR/LG are tied with HGSS as the only truly great Pokemon games.

It actually allowed exploration, its storyline was engaging without being retarded, it conveyed everything perfectly without handholding, and there were so many things which tied into each other.

Comparing the rival being champion and mocking you about it to having you meet Diantha once and then meet her again as champion, for example, is like comparing gold to shit. The first one actually makes your blood boil and gives you incentive to defeat the champion. The second one does nothing of the sort.

Having the eighth gym leader be a mystery and then finding out it's giovanni.
Meeting the first rocket grunt in Mt. Moon and having him give a vague clue as to his team's motives, leading you down a rabbit hole into discovering the game's true villains.
Your rival actually being a rival, and what's more - being one step ahead of you the whole time.
The whole Lavender Town arc.
Venturing out into the sea to find an abandoned cave with a mysterious legendary hidden deep inside.
Lance faking out the championship.
Mewtwo.
Beating the third gym and having the rest of the game be an adventure where you can make your own decisions.

The list goes on and on. This is the kind of shit that simply never happens in the newer games. That's not to say it's mind-blowingly awesome, but at the very least it all provides a good structure for an engaging story with actual meat on its bones.

I couldn't even fucking finish Sun and Moon.
>>
>>32993344
>some uncanny-valley-like effect around the first, maybe first two gens.
>remember feeling like there were really dark secrets in the game
Both are somewhat true. Red and Blue are deep games in replay value and in meta. Both of those continue throughout.

There were secrets to be discovered back then, like understanding typing and finding Mew, rare candy code etc. The mysticism of the game was in part due to how edgy GameFreak was. My brother even thought some of the NPC dialogue was funny, the kid who says he has no pants or whatever. Outside Pewter.
>>
Kill yourself and fuck your nostalgia goggles

literally
>muh childhood: the thread
>>
File: 1488254470108.gif (224KB, 264x200px) Image search: [Google]
1488254470108.gif
224KB, 264x200px
>>32993364
same here, I feel like gen 1 was the one that really engaged my imagination the most, and it had so many secrets, like you mentioned.

If Articuno was in the current games you'd be led right up to it and get infinite retries until you catch it.

>ywn have a true sequel to the first gen.

GF needs competition.
>>
>>32993401
My childhood also included Mortal Kombat, Mario 64, Sonic Advanced and 6158263 other games.
>>
The first two generations are clearly detached from the later ones in tone, but this is nostalgia goggles level bullshit.
>>
I loved the first two gen. Obviously its nostalgia goggles all you want, but seriously shit like the Lapras in the cave in Gold appearing only on Fridays, the Mt. silver with red as the final boss and various unknown pokemon, the alpha ruins ecc ecc. damn those were beautiful times
>>
>>32993453
the first generation is deatched from all the others following*

there are some good points in that post, like for example the pokedex size and balance (BW tried to recreate it but fucked it up by removing all old mons from main game and replacing them with chinese bootleg clones), everything else is bullshit though, especially the part about mechanics. Pokemon can not exist as anything but a turn-based JRPG
>>
>>32993356
calling RBY games 'dark' and 'sinister' certainly is.

dude read too many creepypastas.
>>
>>32993425
It's hard to have competition when you're quite literally the only big-name Monster Catching RPG worldwide to a point where you have a monopoly everywhere that isn't Japan, where Yokai Watch had a good fad run that's dead, and your only other challenger is Japan's universal love of Dragon Quest which allows DQMonsters to do amazingly well there, but it isn't consistently released every 1-2 years like Pokemon as it's a spinoff.
>>
>>32993503
TO be fair those things are product of the circumstances. Timed events, unknown pokémon, those things are still in SM, but in the internet era, everything is catalogued less than 24 hours after the game relase. It's hard to maintain mistery like that
>>
>>32993563
Don't forget TPCi figured out that more or less revealing everything in the game via trailers is somehow a good enough marketing tactic that it prints even more money, so you don't even get to PLAY the games before they're already cracked open BY THE CREATORS THEMSELVES despite being a worldwide release.
>>
>>32993520
>Pokemon can not exist as anything but a turn-based JRPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7K8ggudRMY
>>
>>32993356
lmfao calling something reddit while literally using the 4chan downvote meme
>>
File: 1479638605220.jpg (116KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1479638605220.jpg
116KB, 640x640px
>>32993265
tl;dr
>I was young, so video games were spooky!
>>
>>32993631
that is not pokemon. That is pokken, a spin-off game. Thanks for proving my poiny.
>>
>>32993670
>Pokemon can not exist as anything but a turn-based JRPG
>Thanks for proving my poiny.
Your poiny has been disproved by the existence of Pokemon in other games.
>>
>>32993631
Okay now try doing all that fancy detailed animation with 800+ Pokemon.
>>
>>32993699
I was talking about Pokemon as a GAME, not about the use of the creatures, how dense can you be?
>>
>>32993265
I never really thought about what made exploration in gen 1 feel so more rewarding than other gens. Now that you mention that, it makes a lot of sense. FRLG are great, but really, that's what they lost, the creepiness.

Anyway, most of these opinions sound a lot like a genwuner rant. Newer Pokémon aren't all bad and, even though the mechanics lack innovation, they only improved over the original battle system.

And gen 1 is not well ballanced at all. When you play for the first time, you may not notice how psychic is broken or how double team can be abused. It felt balanced because it was new and it wasn't solved yet.
>>
File: 1AkDb.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1AkDb.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>>32993704
>>32993729
>get proven wrong
>get caught in spelling error in your scramble for rebuttal
>samefag THIS hard for a recovery
>>
>>32993699
Ignoring the other anon's retarded reasoning, he's right when it comes to Pokken. An action fighting game like Pokken cannot have a roster of >800 monsters without serious sacrifices when it comes to the conventions of fighting games (characters in them tend to play uniquely, you know? It's part of the Pokemon franchise's image as well that each monster species is different). It is also difficult to implement a sense of adventure and discovering the world into a fighting game, while it's a much more natural fit for an RPG.

What is it that you enjoy about Pokemon? Which of these elements can you feasibly include in a specific game genre? These are things to consider when adapting Pokemon to spinoff games, or even other media.
>>
File: Capture.png (43KB, 411x150px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
43KB, 411x150px
>>32993774
ok
>>
>>32993774
>the city of (you)

What I was referring to in the first place was that common trend among so-called "pokemon fans" of wanting the games to turn into open-world aRPG or MMORPGs because it sounds cool when in reality it would just break them and make them lose a big part of their original appeal. The whole concept of catching-raising-trading-battling pokemon fits the traditional jRPG genre like a glove, and while it can be adapted to other genres it never works quite right. The closest they've ever gotten to taking the franchise to a different genre while still keeping the main concepts relatively intact was the PMD series, which to be fair isn't even that big of a deviation from main games.
>>
File: samefagging.png (41KB, 590x206px) Image search: [Google]
samefagging.png
41KB, 590x206px
>>32993844
also forgot image
>>
>>32993265
>It also had a perfect rooster of Pokemons, large enough to make them collectable, small enough to make a decently balanced game
>balanced
Yeah right, you could win ANY battle just by using Mewtwo
Also, fuck off genwunner
>>
File: 1475514838894.jpg (140KB, 546x640px) Image search: [Google]
1475514838894.jpg
140KB, 546x640px
OP here, sorry anons, I never meant to say the ol' gen 1 is best part, only that it had an ominous atmosphere, and an unintentional one, despite what I believed up until today.
>>
>>32993859
yes but you couldn't get it until you had finished the game.

It was still pretty unbalanced though, there's like 3 mons that can easily cover the whole run (actually, a Nidoking is just enough) while a whole bunch of them is relatively garbage.
>>
File: 1492498402784.jpg (88KB, 800x723px) Image search: [Google]
1492498402784.jpg
88KB, 800x723px
Nice autism, "journalist"
>>
>>32993265
I've been playing since Yellow and I've never ever felt pokemon games to be in any way dark, sinister nor depressive.
Granted, there's a good deal of fridge horror going on, but on the level a little kid could get.
>>
>>32993863
It's just that it's hard to separate what is just nostalgy in that analysis.

I think you are correct about gen1's success being in part due to the GB's limitations. But had the first games being released for the DS, the anime would still work as a great ad, the games would sell and people would find then just as great. This "creepy" mood is what made the games good for SOME people, a cheerful mood is also appealing and that's why the games still sell.

tl;dr: I agree with you, but it all comes down to personal tastes.
>>
>>32993970

I get what you mean.

Thanks for chiming in anon.
>>
>>32993265
What the fuck even when I was a kid pokemon was kind of a happy go lucky kind of game. I think that's what I miss most. We're always doing some save the world bullshit that feels so half assed. Red and blue were just be the best you can be with some crime on the side.

That being said I have no problem with "saving the world" but they need to do a much better job on their delivery of that. The kiddy shit worked cause fuck it we literally are just a kid but now they've kind of ruined the tiny bit of immersion you can have with these games
>>
File: 1498527691028.jpg (208KB, 834x782px) Image search: [Google]
1498527691028.jpg
208KB, 834x782px
As a hoenn baby I can confirm Gen 1 and 2 have a different atmosphere and feel to them than other gens.
It's not the technology either FR and to a lesser extent HG/SS still had that feel.
>>
>>32993265
Going off my own memories, I agree with this on the points of in-battle atmosphere and music being more sinister in a good way, but no others. If you were a kid spooked by dark dungeons, there were far worse video games around that time. Everything else just a /v/irgin who both was a sperm when R/B came out and doesn't know shit about pokemon shooting in the dark.
>>
>>32993344
It's just from being young. Everything feels like that when you're young.

It's why you have so many people who think fucking Mario 64 is "dark" or "creepy" despite being a goddamn Mickey Mouse cartoon.
>>
File: 1458599058406.jpg (90KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
1458599058406.jpg
90KB, 500x492px
Unown Radio is the only genuinely creepy thing in the series. Also
>anything posted on /v/eddit
>10/10
>>
>>32993265
>a perfect rooster of pokemon
>>
>pokemons
>>
>>32993384
>Red and Blue are deep games in replay value and in meta
Hahaha what
>>
>>32993265
>The best part is how it was supposed to be cheerful and happy, but being on Game Boy, with lowres graphics, chiptune music, and desolate cities, it felt dark, sinister and depressive. This completely incidental mood is largely responsible for its success, and some of the earliest memes on which the series still sail.
Its only "deppresive" to people who want to headcanon that in order to feel good about liking a kids game. No one praised the games for being depresive back in pokemania.

>It also had a perfect rooster of Pokemons, large enough to make them collectable, small enough to make a decently balanced game on which the average player can focus over the course of a single playthrough.
The guy clearly didn't play a pokemon game at all. The roster amount is fine, yeah, but its not very balanced. The reasons have been posted to death here.

>Sequels just added too many Pokemons to the point of silliness that weren't as good as the originals
nostalgiafagging

> and too many new mechanics for its own good
If you don't think abilities and phisical special split weren't a good thing you have to be mentally challenged.

>Proof is, while countless people played the originals and remember them dearly, few of them continued to play the sequels.
Because they stopped being trendy, it has nothing to do with their actual quality.

>it didn't feel like you had to be an expert in Pokemon to play it, just an ordinary kid who likes video games
This is true....but true for the main series in general which is what makes them stand out. Not to mention that with the games being more casualized and most of the hints they expected you to get in Gen 1 being outright told you in modern games this is arguably truer for the newer games.
>>
>>32993265
If gen 3 onward had been any more of a copy to the first 2* gens (supposedly it was meant as 1 gen ofc) none of us would still be playing it. Any form of entertainment has to keep growing and, yes, pun incoming, evolving. If it hadn't it'd have gotten really boring OR we would've had 1 game per 5 years. So.. yeah...
>>
>>32993425
If you missed Arty in the first game you must be blind...? x)
>>
>Gen 1
>decently balanced
>creepy

Who wrote this shit?
>>
>>32993642
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>32993844
I would not if it had been made right, BUT Nintendo and GF won't have the resources for that the coming 10 years.

If the resources were there ofcourse Pokémon would be meant to be a MMORPG environment. What a stupid thing to say. It's all about a world infested with pokemon and humans that fight together. What better to fill these needed humans in-game with than ... idk... ACTUAL HUMANS?
>>
>>32993265
Fuck. That's kind of the way I feel specifically about FireRed. I thought it was a bad thing. It kind of feels like you're some sort of ghost. Or maybe not a ghost but an empty shell. Maybe GSC and DPPt also feel like that, but not really. Might try the originals, I've never played them before.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.