[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would you say is the "Healer Type" in Pokemon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: hqdefault[1].jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
21KB, 480x360px
I've been thinking about this lately.
If you had asked me two generations ago I would have probably said Normal, but now I'm not so sure.
It's like it's distributed among a few types, but in sort of weird combinations of moves, abilities, and Pokemon species.
>>
>>32985152
The key here is egg groups, and that would be Fairy. The majority of pokemon who can perform "cleric" roles with stuff like Wish and Heal Bell are in this egg group. That's been relatively consistent across generations.
>>
>>32985152
A mix of normal (heal bell, wish), fairy (floral healing), grass (aromatherapy) and psychic (healing wish, heal pulse).
>>
>>32985481
That's actually an interesting point; I never noticed that. Even most of the Normal and Grass Pokemon that heal fit in this egg group.

>>32985532
Yeah, I think those are the types that most embody it.

How would you rank them though?
Psychic does have Heal Pulse and Healing Wish, but a lot of the Pokemon that get the best use out of them are other types. Psychic overall is more of a specially offensive type than a support one. Normal has generally fits the bill but lost a lot of that niche to Fairy, and as the other anon pointed a lot of Normal healers are still associated with Fairy type. Grass has a more utility theme and most of its healing is selfish (personal healing at the expense of the opponent). Fairy is the only type I can think of that really seems to have support and healing directly as one of its top themes.

It'd say:
Fairy > Psychic > Grass > Normal

What do you think?
>>
>>32986025
I'd rank them fairy > normal > psychic > grass

Normal has chansey, blissey, wigglytuff and audino, which gives it a high spot on the list by default, as those are literally nurse/healer mons. Most of these high HP, fat ass pink blobs are better users of heal pulse and healing wish than psychic types themselves. In fact, the only psychic type I can think of that fits into a healer type is cresselia; the rest of psychic types are high-powered special attackers or special walls that have nothing to do with healing. You could make a point for jirachi and latias since they get healing wish, but that's just more an utility move that happens to fit with them than their real role. Is like if I said bronzong is into the healer type because it learns heal bell.

Fairy has had a very healing-like aspect since its inception, and many fairy moves and mons are clerics of sorts or are focused on helping allies. Abilities and moves like sweet veil, aroma veil, symbiosis, flower veil, misty terrain, floral healing, and so on, it is very clear gamefreak had this main theme of healing archetype for the type when they created it, even if they actually ended up making it an offensive and defensive beast instead, but I digress.

Grass doesn't have much outside of aromatherapy, and if you look at grass mons they rarely fit into a healing theme. If anything, fairy types that look like grass types (florges, comfey) are the ones doing the healing. Flower shield, floral healing, etc. are fairy moves that fairy mons get, even if they have flower in the name. Aromatherapy itself is better used by normal pink blobs and dedicated cleric fairy types, similar to what happens with psychic.
>>
>>32986181
>Normal has chansey, blissey, wigglytuff and audino, which gives it a high spot on the list by default

See, this is what I was thinking but I second guessed myself. I originally had the order you put but thinking about the pink blobs threw me off a bit. Wigglytuff is part Fairy while Audino is Fairy associated though its mega evolution. It's hard to tell exactly what aspects about them embody each type as I could very easily see both of them as being mono-Fairy. The Chansey line could be too but stayed mono-Normal for some reason.

In general, looking at Normal type as w whole it seems to embody this sort of blank, default animal theme with jack-of-all-trades aspects and wide coverage. It kind of put me in this weird position where Normal was either second or last (I agree with everything you said about grass and psychic btw).

I guess when it comes down to it I don't really know what's "normal" about the "pink blob class" now? Like what separates them from other Fairies?
>>
>>32986378
>I guess when it comes down to it I don't really know what's "normal" about the "pink blob class" now? Like what separates them from other Fairies?
I don't have a clear answer for that. The line is blurry and at least 4 types are involved in the fat pink blob archetype (understanding as a "fat pink blob" any mon with high HP, access to healing moves, and being pink).

Chansey line is normal. Lickitung line (gets heal bell and wish by event so believe it or not it fits the criteria) and Miltank are also normal. Audino is normal but becomes fairy/normal when mega. Clefairy and Jigglypuff lines were normal, but now one is a fairy and the other is mixed. Slurpuff and Aromatisse are pure fairy. Then in psychic we have cresselia (high HP, lunar dance) and to some extent musharna (high HP, healing wish). It is curious that both psychic pink blobs are dream related.
Finally, alomomola has a fuckton of HP and the infamous wishpass-regen core, yet it isn't fairy or normal.

It's just a mixed bag of an archetype, although fairy is dominant.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.