[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon Lore/Myths discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: Bellchime_Trail_HGSS.png (149KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
Bellchime_Trail_HGSS.png
149KB, 640x320px
Anyone else here love the myth behind Ho-Oh and the burned tower? It's always seemed like the less popular legend of the duo which seemed odd to me since Ho-Oh just seemed to have more care put into it with the set up to the battle atop the tower and everything versus finding Lugia in some cave and having it scream at you to get out. Anyways, with the legend behind the beast trio why do you think the humans drove them away in the first place? It seems a little odd for a group of people to pull a heel turn and suddenly start fearing their deity's power especially for something like reviving 3 pokemon who lost their lives in a tragic fire.
>>
You now realize Kanto has ZERO lore to speak of and is essentially out in the boonies.
>>
>>32957061
At least Kanto has a League.

That's because the Kanto games were more of a personal journey and did not need to raise the stakes that high.

I can understand why people would like Lugia more, since its ambiguous design makes it difficult to discern its origin from any real life animal: clearly, a Pocket Monster. Ho-Oh, meanwhile, can clearly be derived from a pheonix, and therefore people who prefer Ho-Oh is liekly to like pheonixes in general, with Ho-Oh being just one of them.

Still, you can't deny that Ho-Oh appearing in the first episode of the anime is one of the most important moments in Poke-history.
>>
>>32956841
I find it odd how nobody put together that Lugia accidentally caused the storm that burned its own tower down, fleeing to the Whirl Islands to keep itself from harming anybody further

It's pretty obvious when you think about it
>>
It's kinda neat how Emerald hinted west Hoenn to be Groudon's realm and the east Kyogre's.
>>
File: Hoenn_E.jpg (46KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
Hoenn_E.jpg
46KB, 500x325px
>>32957764
>>
>>32957061
Kanto = Tokyo, the metropolitan center of Japan.

Johto would be considered the boonies with all its old cities, rural villages, people rooted in old traditions (Pokeball making, the monks in Sprout Tower, kimono girls), there's even a fucking farm.

Kanto does have some lore but it's the more modern day kind instead of historical. Like the haunted Pokémon Tower. I think the legendary birds fit with that since they seem to be regarded more like folklore creatures than mythological ones. There's no mythological or religious reverence for them, they're not tied to the origins of the world, they're just so rare and strange that nobody knows for sure if they're real, but some people claim to have encountered them.
>>
>>32957764
Makes sense, especially in Emerald, where Groudon sleeps in Mt. Chimney instead of underwater.

>It's always seemed like the less popular legend of the duo which seemed odd to me since Ho-Oh just seemed to have more care put into it with the set up to the battle atop the tower and everything versus finding Lugia in some cave and having it scream at you to get out.
Lugia was marketed significantly more and has nostalgia backing it from the second movie. Ho-Oh only now got the time to shine. On top of that, if some interviews are to be believed, Lugia was never intended to exist in the games in the first place. It was purely an anime creation that got incorporated into the games and for some reason made into a duo with Ho-Oh, which is why it has so little lore and legend surrounding it. The Phoenix, on the flip side, existed since Gen 1.

These two honestly fascinate me because, since Gen 3 started the trend of tying the legends to the plots and have only expanded from there, Johto's legends remain the only duo that aren't tied to specific concepts. The titles they had, Guardians of Sky and Sea, are shared by at least five other legendaries. Life and Death are taken by another, as are Sun and Moon. It's interesting that even with the remakes forcing you to encounter them, no new lore was added. Lugia and especially Ho-Oh can be tied to a lot of the newer Legendaries like Xerneas and Solgaleo, and maybe with Necrozma, like it seemed was being pushed a few months ago.

Until GF starts making connections, we can't really do more than speculate.
>>
>>32957775

You now realise Hoenn's map is a Ying Yang with the center circles being Mt Chimney's peak and Sootopolis.
>>
>>32957648
>Pokemon renowned for manipulating water and causing rain storms
>Starting a fire

That makes far more sense than the fire bird starting a fire, yup yup.
>>
>>32958319
holy shit
>>
>>32958319
holy shit
it looks nothing like a yin yang
>>
>>32958374
>Pokemon renowned for causing rain storms
>Brass Tower was struck by lightning, which started the fire
>The lightning was followed by a storm
>>
>>32956841
>It seems a little odd for a group of people to pull a heel turn and suddenly start fearing their deity's power especially for something like reviving 3 pokemon who lost their lives in a tragic fire.
Well, it could make sense if they didn't know Ho-oh was capable of, not only reviving, but upgrading creatures into more powerful new species.

I think maybe they fear the revived pokemon coming back with a bone to pick, since now thier powers are beyond the limit of a standard mon.
>>
>>32958319
Wowwwww
>>
>>32958374
Ho-oh's fire revives the land, dumbass. Not the mention the fire was caused by lightning from a storm.

Do you even read what you write?
>>
>>32958187
It only existed in Gen 1 because of the anime which started when the Gen 2 games were released in Japan.
>>
File: 1485887207111.jpg (41KB, 480x361px) Image search: [Google]
1485887207111.jpg
41KB, 480x361px
>>32958319
Blew my mind.
>>
>>32958187
I only vaguely remember the interview you're talking about, but I remember reading it not as them having made Lugia for the anime, but that they were just handed Lugia's design without having come up with much lore for it and let the anime makers just do whatever with it.

I do remember clearly the same sort of the thing happened with the Entei movie. The anime makers asked for a legendary design for the next movie, Gamefreak gave them Entei without any context on what it was, and they were free to just do whatever they thought of with it.
>>
File: maybe.jpg (24KB, 583x328px) Image search: [Google]
maybe.jpg
24KB, 583x328px
>>32958374
Lighting nigga.
>>
>>32958187
It's not specifically stated ingame, but Lugia and Hooh actually have a concept behind them imo.
Lugia is said to cause storms, and a storm is what caused the fire in the tower and the deaths of the legendary beasts, which Hooh then revives.
So It's Death/Natural disasters and Rebirth
>>
>>32960984
>It only existed in Gen 1 because of the anime which started when the Gen 2 games were released in Japan.
Gold and Silver came out in Japan in late 1999. The anime started in 1997 and was in development even earlier.

>>32961110
>So It's Death/Natural disasters and Rebirth
That could have made sense, but not only has that been overtaken by the much more obvious Aura duo, but Lugia hardly has anything to do with death outside of possibly causing the storm that burned its tower down. At least with Ho-Oh, we know it can resurrect and give newer life to the dead, right down to Sacred Ash being its signature item. Lugia doesn't get anything like that, and GF isn't that subtle with lore.
>>
Ho-oh and Lugia don't represent any particular duality. They represent several, most of which have been taken by later, more focused legendaries.

gold and silver
day and night
sun and moon
sky and ocean
high and low
rebirth and destruction
fire and water
light and dark
>>
>>32958467
>>32958575
>>32961106
But anons.
Lugia doesn't learn Thunder.
>>
Is this the Richard thread?
>>
>>32961283
Lugia wouldn't purposely strike the tower but Lugia does know rain dance which would create a storm which could then strike it
>>
>>32956841
reminder that Ho-oh is the better sky guardian than Rayquaza

also remember that while nothing puts Ho-oh or Rayquaza above or below one another, Lugia is Kyogre's bitch
>>
I'm more interested in Mew and Mewtwo from Kanto's lore. I think the story behind that and Dr. Fuji would make for an interesting movie/game. Kinda upsetting Origins hinted at it and nothing came of it.
>>
>>32961894
Isn't Kyogre like fuckin tiny tho
>>
>>32961894
>reminder that Ho-oh is the better sky guardian than Rayquaza
explain
>>
>>32962092
>Johto
>calm and collected sky guardian
>only region where no legendaries are fightng
>revives pokemon that got killed
>chooses to go to pure hearted trainers of it's own accord

>Hoenn
>short tempered as fuck sky guardian
>Kyogre and Groudon always doing shit
>space aliens attacking
>constant meteor showers
>goes to whichever trainer is holding a rock
>>
>>32962118
This
>>
>>32962118
Well at least it's not Unova
>Sky Guardian literally creates storms for shits and giggles
>>
>>32961425
>Lugia wouldn't purposely strike the tower
>Implying
>>
>>32962192
BRASS TOWER WAS AN INSIDE JOB
>>
>>32962203
Storm lightning can't burn brass beams
>>
>>32962212
WAKE UP MAREEPLE
>>
>>32962118
>what is Kanto
>What is Sinnoh
Did Xerneas and Yveltal even meet each other?

>chooses to go to pure hearted trainers of it's own accord
anime

>short tempered as fuck sky guardian
How? It only showed up when shit got real in Emerald and ORAS.

>Kyogre and Groudon always doing shit
They only did once and he told them to chill out

>space aliens attacking
Said alien didn't even touch Hoenn despite what /vp/ wants you to believe.
>>
>>32962274
>anime
In HG ho oh only shows up after you get your ass beat by the kimono girls and pass it's trial to get the wing/bell

>How? It only showed up when shit got real in Emerald and ORAS.
He screm

>They only did once and he told them to chill out
Considering the two we're talking about here they seem like they tend to duke it out every Tuesday

>Said alien didn't even touch Hoenn despite what /vp/ wants you to believe.
Space alien would've shit up in ORAS if Mega ray didnt fucking kill it
>>
>>32962344
>In HG ho oh only shows up after you get your ass beat by the kimono girls and pass it's trial to get the wing/bell
fair point

>He screm
savage af

>Considering the two we're talking about here they seem like they tend to duke it out every Tuesday
it wasa big event the one time it happened in either version

>Space alien would've shit up in ORAS if Mega ray didnt fucking kill it
So it's good?
>>
>>32956841
Everybody fears zombies.
Ho-Oh: The Necromancer Pokemon
>>
File: humble celebrity.png (197KB, 500x601px) Image search: [Google]
humble celebrity.png
197KB, 500x601px
>>32957061
I actually like this. Especially coupled with the lore of Red being this hugely successful world famous trainer and coming from hick ass Kanto.
>>
>>32965565
Kanto is Tokyo you dumbfuck.
>>
>>32966215
Uhm no sweetie
>>
>>32961282
Guess you can say they're the jack of all trades-type of legendary duo.
>>
>>32965565
I think they actually brought this up in the anime, a couple of people are always suprised when Ash, a kid from "the boonies" manages to be a powerful trainer. I think it was Paul and the Snivy guy from BW
>>
>>32966794
I remember an interview where they said Celedon City was based off the Cultural Side of Tokyo while Saffron City was inspired by the Buisness Side
>>
>>32962118
When solgaleo and lunala are literally breeding partners
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.