[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You cannot deny the following

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11

If the Third Generation had slightly better game mechanics, like the fixed physical/special split of Fourth Generation onward, then it would be the best generation and Emerald would be the best Pokemon game. Though, because its mechanics aren't better, Fourth Generation is the best and Platinum is the best game. Plebs will try to argue otherwise.
>>
>>32936147
didn't platinum have more content as well?
emerald was bland on many, many levels. not really bad but bland because it could have been much more.
>>
>>32936147
Eh, I find it fun anyways.

Besides, patches exist and Emerald is mostly emulated anyway. A couple of seconds and you have your split.
>>
>>32936177
Emerald is a lot of things, but bland is not one of them.
>>
>>32936147
Nope. Still think Gen 5's better.
Also, concerning Gen 3, FRLG > Emerald.
>>
>>32936231
FR/LG is great, but Emerald has a better dex and more variety in the settings. However, Gary is a far better rival than Wally.
>>
>>32936147
Platinum isn't even the best game in the 4th gen.
>>
>>32936246
>FR/LG is great, but Emerald has a better dex
Debatable, actually. A "better dex" isn't an objective something unless the two are incredibly similar, which the FRLG dex and Emerald dex aren't.
>>
>>32936271
I just think Emerald has more variety in Pokemon. You can still get some of the coolest first generation mons in Emerald, like Crobat and Alakazam. Plus, Steel and Dark types are more available.
>>
gen 3 has the second comfiest graphics desu
>>
>>32936147

No. Game features don't matter.
Only Pokémon in the Game matter.
>>
>>32936147
>If the Third Generation had
but it didnt

its like saying what if the x generation had y it would be the best generation
>>
>>32936297
FRLG comes with mons like Starmie, Eevee, Zapdos, etc, though.
>>
>>32936352
fuck off richard
>>
>>32936366
Cool mons, in fairness. Emerald has its fair share of cool water mons in its dex, like Tentacruel and Ludicolo.
>>
>>32936362
Yeah. It's calked a hypothetical.
>>
File: mistake.jpg (21KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
mistake.jpg
21KB, 318x159px
>>32936147
That still doesn't fix not being able to trade with RBY and GSC. Also, though natures and EVs are fine, IVs are a mistake. DVs were bad enough.
>>
>>32936147
I can deny it. Hoenn is a shit region with shit Pokémon. And kanto remakes were boring.

Gen 3 fucking sucked.
>>
File: 250px-227Skarmory.png (46KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-227Skarmory.png
46KB, 250x250px
>>32936437
>Hoenn was a shit region with shit Pokemon.
I'm shiggy diggying so hard right now.
>>
>>32936147
Third gen had a game like emerald which did a great job of tying Team Aqua and Team Magma together while incorporating Rayquaza, a pokemon the did not matter to the story in Ruby and Saphire, as an important piece of exposition that also expanded in the lore of the games
Platinum did the same thing with Giratina, but with Team Galactic as the only antagonist team in the region the story didn't change much, except by dropping hints at a third pokemon and pulling a hard fucking left turn with the distortion world twist
Both games are equally good in my opinion exposition wise, but I like how Emerald doesn't spoon feed you the box legendary until the very end, which is what I liked about the 5th gen as well and didn't overly enjoy about ORAS
>>32936387
>share of cool water mons
>Tentecruel
Congratulations on picking a pokemon that's in almost every game
Name something like Relicanth that is used for the Regi puzzle
>>
>>32936479
This meme is stale
>>
>absolute worst aesthetics in the series bar Gen 1 Pokemon sprites

nah
>>
RSE's overworld aesthetic was so ass that they had to actually remake brendan and may's sprite for FRLG when you link cabled.

And oh god, if FRLG May was used in RSE, it'd really prove that ORAS was shit.

The pros going for ORAS is that it's 3d and you can actually see the characters instead of their 2D overworld abomination of a sprite.
>>
>>32936436
That's not really Gamefreak's fault though. It's also largely irrelevant nowadays.
>>
>>32936926
Wait, really? Got a comparison image?
>>
File: asjkbhgashj.png (51KB, 192x200px) Image search: [Google]
asjkbhgashj.png
51KB, 192x200px
>>32936981
tastes may very
>>
File: brendan.jpg (15KB, 328x89px) Image search: [Google]
brendan.jpg
15KB, 328x89px
>>32937035
>>
>>32937035
>>32937039
this is actually worse
>>
>>32937043
blinded by your gen 3 nostalgia i see.
>>
>>32936147
there's too much water in emerald, I think sinnoh had better balanced geography
>>
>>32936436
THANK YOU
Now that I've seen this posted on /vp/ I can die in peace.
>>
>>32937244
Meme or serious? I know eeeeverybody loves to poke fun because IGN, but Hoenn DID in fact have a lot of water routes.
>>
There are far more problems than that.
>The GBA soundchip is notoriously bad
>Hoenn is almost half water
>The plot makes no sense and is underwhelming
>Only able to obtain the 200 Pokémon in the regional Pokédex and none of the others in the National Pokédex unless you're playing Emerald, and even it's only like 30 more
>Even if Diamond and Pearl had a small regional Pokédex, you could get almost 300 more Pokémon in the post-game without Pal Park
>>
>>32937344
Actually, that was a well-consolidated opinion way before IGN, when it became a meme.

The funny thing is that ORAS balanced this problem when RSE were really worse here.
>>
>>32936260
Even DiaPer is better than HGSS ignoring the real problems of the originals.
Candice's 3rd in command Piloswine shits on Pryce's lead.
Same type, same order.
HGSS being anything special is a meme.
>>
>>32937059
No, these are objectively shit.
>>
File: Mei thinking.png (118KB, 184x228px) Image search: [Google]
Mei thinking.png
118KB, 184x228px
>>32937404
>The GBA soundchip is notoriously bad
The GBA soundchip's pretty bad (especially notable if you play the SNES Mario ports), but you can still make some great tracks on it. Mother 3's got a pretty memorable soundtrack despite being on the GBA. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtN-Vp2Miuo
The real problem is that RSE's soundtrack in general is either poor to begin with, or suffers from using an ill-fitting soundfont. Route 110 in particular is bombastic and overuses the french horns.
>>
>>32937577
Exactly. It's a valid thing to dislike for a good handful of reasons, but ever since IGN said it, now everyone thinks it's a joke
>>
>>32936147
>Gen 3 is second best
>Gen 4 is best
>Not worst and second worst
>You cannot deny this
Watch me, Faggot. Those two are easily the worst regions by far.
>>
>>32937696
Everyone agrees gens 5-7 are the worst.
5 if you ask most people.
>>
>>32936330
this desu
>>
>>32936437
What is life like, living with shit taste and all?
>>
>>32937696
My god you've got shit taste.
>>
>>32937696
Go back to your straight hallways and asinine dialogue Alolasome
>>
Emerald is the best game in the franchise easy. Despite the lack of the split, hoenn is simply the comfiest region, and easily has the best dex.
>>
>>32936147
Eh. The wild pokemon distribution is still shit, meaning BW2 is still the best.
Only narrowly, however.
>>
>>32936479
It is tho.
You have Starter, Crobat, Kadabra, Skarmory, Salamence, Sharpedo, Breloom, and maybe Dusclops as "good" ingame pokemon. The fact that Crobat is so good ingame speaks to just how little compitition there is.
>>
File: Zigzaface.png (21KB, 144x144px) Image search: [Google]
Zigzaface.png
21KB, 144x144px
>>32937830
Hoenn's got a pretty neat dex, but I still think there's a lot of problems with it. There's a few much needed mons that are missing, so enemy teams don't have very good variety in Pokemon. Along with that, the wild Pokemon distribution is just plain bad.
Mt. Pyre is a place where all sorts of ghosts live, and is the resting ground for deceased Pokemon. Despite that, there are only two ghosts that reside there; Sableye, the third ghost, doesn't even show up. The region's few ice types are also crammed into Shoal Cave. Because of the limited variety of those two types, E4 members Phoebe and Glacia have relatively bland teams, having to repeat the same Pokemon species or evo lines. Keep in mind that the past games have perfectly good ghosts and ice types, like Misdreavus, Gengar, and Sneasel, to use; they just weren't included. Other enemy trainers' teams also suffer. The new class, Bug Maniac, has plenty of Pokemon to justify his existence as a mid-lategame trainer. However, most trainers in the class prefer to use repeats of the Surskit and Wurmple line instead of the stronger and more varied Pinsir and Heracross. Team Magma and Aqua also only use a handful of fodder Pokemon, rather than having more that fit their theme. Wild Pokemon encounter rates are also rather poor, much of the region is Zigzagoon and Wingull despite having a large variety of wildlife to choose from.
Despite its flaws in mon distribution, I still like Emerald a lot. Every game has its flaws.
>>
>>32937906
Well, as you said, these are mostly distribution issues, rather than dex issues. I just love how every replay of emerald feels different from the last, since I can always have an extremely varied team. Though it does suck you don't get snorunt, spheal or bagon until way late.
>>
Hoenn is actually not as great as you faggots are pushing it.

First off let's talk about Pokemon. The Pokemon dropped in quality in detailing, designs, and typing. Before Gen 3, there were only 4 Dragon types and 3 of those were in the same line. Hoenn almost tripled this, along with adding too many legendary Pokemon. Hoenn started this trend of increasing the amount of each entry in the franchise. Thankfully Gen 6 stopped this shit. The Pokemon themselves are unnaturally colored with weird unnecessary patterns. There has been a picture posted here many times which is unfortunately true regarding Gen 3 mons.

Then there's the region. It's a clusterfuck of different geographical areas, and yes, there is too much water. I personally don't have a problem with it, but it's a pain to navigate through if you don't buy repels. They should have scattered thewater routes throughout all of Hoenn, and not just grouping it to one side of the map.

Then the music. Masuda didn't have much role in the OST, and it is clearly evident. The music is ear-grating, same-sounding, and unremarkable, most unrememberable. Thankfully they got rid of the incompetence that was Aoki the following generation.

Despite saying all of this, I still believe Gen 3 is the second or third best generation.

Debate me.
>>
File: mega shuckle.jpg (172KB, 1079x1749px) Image search: [Google]
mega shuckle.jpg
172KB, 1079x1749px
>>32936147
I think HGSS is the best game but I also like both Emerald and Platinum so I can agree to disagree. Gen V is also pretty great and even though I know it's mostly nostalgia I really love GSC.
>>
>>32938031
>Pokemon
It's a tropical region, as such, unique colors and patterns. The designs are phenomenal, and hold up just as well as what came before. They're far better than Gen 1 in my opinion.

>Region
What land there is is amazing. It's varied, the graphics make it look great, the weather feels dynamic (for the time) and it all just works so well. Yes, there's a lot of water, but I find this allows for plentiful discovery via random islands and diving. No side quest in the series beats the Regis, provided you aren't using a step by step guide.

>Music
I can't really give a legitimate response, as I don't know musical terminology, but I simply disagree. I think the music is amazing, and that the soundfont is as well. I don't think it's quite as good as GSC, but it beats the rest of the series imo.

Granted, Ruby was my first Pokemon game, so I am a hoennfag, but I really do think Gen 3 (including FRLG) holds up better than any other generation.
>>
>>32938157
>so I am a hoennfag
Then of course you can't see why everything you posted is wrong. That's your problem and I'll tell you why:

>It's a tropical region, as such, unique colors and patterns
How does that make any sense? I don't know if you knew this, but animals and plants aren't any more colorful than other animals in other climates. Hoenn Pokemon are plastic toys compared the the previous 2 gens and have far more unnatural looking Pokemon.

>What land there is is amazing. It's varied
It feels like it was just randomly put in to compensate for specific Pokemon. You won't ever find a desert or ice caves in the tropics. Seriously, Shoal cave is randomly in the water and the desert is in the middle of the region...between a rainforest and volcano. It feels like a kid made the map.

>beats the rest of the series imo
How? I know you said you don't know music terms, but how could you think Hoenn's music is better than any other gen? Objectively of course
>>
>>32937869
>implying crobat isn't a good choice in every game
what? like what the fuck do you mean? crobat's a monster in singleplayer in gens 3 and 4
>>
>>32936366
>Zapdos
If you're going to be using legendaries, might as well use Kyogre.
>>
File: 1496502998598.jpg (59KB, 626x501px) Image search: [Google]
1496502998598.jpg
59KB, 626x501px
The game is boring to look at because the sprites were terrible and the colors were dull.

The game is horrendous to listen to because the music is grating and the soundfont sucks.

Even if it introduced the Physical/Special split it would not be anywhere near my favorite gen because music and spritework/colors is very damn well important to me.
>>
>>32938490
Crobat is the standard by which all other ingame pokemon should be measured. Crobat is always good, and is almost always available. That's what makes it such a good standard.
Crobat remains mostly stable for ingame usage, what makes it better or worse tends to be what its competition is.
Crobat is one of the very best pokemon you can get in gen 3. It isn't because Crobat is rediculously good, it's that everything else in Hoenn sucks the fouth longest dick in the universe.
Meanwhile, Crobat is comparatively weak in games like BW2 and XY, where the ingame pokemon selection is fucking amazing. Again, it isn't because Crobat itself is weak, it's because the things around it are stronger.
Crobat can be used as the primary unit of measurement in terms of in-game pokemon usage, if not difficulty as a whole because of its general reliability. Crobat is the Silver standard of Pokemon. If you are considering using a pokemon, you consider A: Is this better than Crobat, then B: If no, does it fill a particular role Crobat cannot?
More than one Nuzlocke has been carried by the unsung Crobat who never left the team, and was always taken for granted.
>>
>>32936147
Pre gen-4 meta seemed to be the best before sneaky pebbles and other held items. I just played through FireRed and honestly had a better time with it than the newer games, too. If there was an easier way to EV train in those games as well as the physical/special split, I'd have to agree with you there.
>>
>>32938430
I'm not sure why more unnatural Pokemon is a bad thing. Too many Pokémon from gens 1 and 2 were literally "just my mom's ____" I think it found a nice balance.

On region, I'm not sure why geographic realism is needed in a game where electric rodents are captured in balls to fight for 10 year olds. The region is fun.

Music is the most subjective thing for me, I just enjoy the compostions and soundfont. Pleasing to my ear.
>>
>>32936147
The game mechanics before the Physical/Special split were pretty good honestly. Although it made for a lot of redundant moves it did let you have pretty varied movesets. They still haven't made an actual physical replacement for Shadow Ball.
>>
>>32936366
Starmie is in Emerald. (Super Rod in Lilycove)
>>
The Regis were a mistake.
>>
File: XXX.png (596KB, 640x596px) Image search: [Google]
XXX.png
596KB, 640x596px
>>32938888

Witnessed, checked, and agreed.
>>
>>32936230
the safari zone in Emerald is dogshit, dude.
>>
>>32938929
>literally reintroduces the remaining Gen 2 Pokemon into Gen 3.
>shit
okay whatever dude.
>>
>>32938888
checked + correct
>>
>>32938888
The Regis are the best Legendary sidequest in the franchise. Not casualizing their quest is one of the few things ORAS did right.
>>
or in other words ORAS is the best game in the series
>>
>>32938031
Why? Most of what you said is opinion. How do you debate "I don't like this" vs "I like this" when it comes to Pokemon design and the music of the region?
>>
>>32938596
>t's that everything else in Hoenn sucks the fouth longest dick in the universe.
Really? I always find that a good chunk of its Pokemon are pretty usable, more so than Crobat.
>>
>>32936147

PokeMMO is the answer you're looking for
>>
>>32937651
>DP is better than HGSS
Contrarianism at its finest. You feel that your statement is correct? Make your argument. You are so goddamn wrong it's disgusting.
>>
I-I agree except because of this logic OR/AS was the best game ever made
>>
>>32936297
Platinum actually has more variety in terms of its distribution (for the first few gyms anyway) but you're forced to utilize a bunch of annoying items and trades to actually use a chunk of its mons. I also think that it's chock-full of shitmons that are either annoying to use or annoying to fight against in a way that isn't challenging.

Frankly I think Platinum is pretty overrated here. Its plot is a worse retread of gen 3, it steps all over some of the themes gen 3 gave out, and had the most ridiculous lore-creep in the entire series as well as a stupid proportion of legendary Pokemon to normal Pokemon. Personally I don't care about Battle Frontier because fighting against the AI is retarded but Wifi is pretty nice. Too bad it's gone now.
>>
>>32939456
But ORAS is missing almost everything from Emerald. The main thing the split would benefit is the Frontier, the main story is playable with and without it.
>>
>>32938929
>Emerald is bland because it's Safari Zone is bad
???
>>
>>32938944
HG/SS did that much better with bringing Gen 3 into Gen 2. plus, more elaborate safari zone.

>>32939534
it's part of the game last time I checked. most lackluster safari zone ever.
>>
>>32938929
It's the most interesting of the three Zones, mechanically. Using Pokéblocks of different colors to minimize the chance of running away (you can even get it down to 0% if you know what you're doing) is great. Kanto still has the best Safari Zone roster because of all the rare Pokémon that can only be gotten there, but Hoenn's is great for its Pokéblock mechanic.
>>
>>32939555
*most interesting of the four zones
I forgot HGSS had its own Safari Zone. I felt HGSS's zone was poorly implemented, long wait periods (up to 100 days of not altering your zone in Gible's case) and a complete lack of information on what combinations of terrain attract what mean an intense amount of trial and error or a walkthrough is needed to get shit from it. It's a cool idea and I'm glad they put it in the game just to try it as opposed to removing the Safari Game from a region that canonically has it, fuck ORAS but it wasn't executed great.
I don't even remember anything about the Great Marsh other than it being split into zones with public transport and it having a lackluster roster. Did it have any special mechanics or was it identical to Kanto?
>>
>>32939568
Pretty much kanto with the trolley.
You could fall in the mud, but that didn't waste steps.
>>
>>32938031
>They should have scattered thewater routes throughout all of Hoenn, and not just grouping it to one side of the map.
They made it to make the map look like a Ying/Yang symbol, about equality.

Still, it's not like it's good.
>>
>>32939047
It's a cool sidequest, but the regis themselves are bad as fuck.
>>
>>32939568
>I don't even remember anything about the Great Marsh other than it being split into zones with public transport and it having a lackluster roster. Did it have any special mechanics or was it identical to Kanto?
You forgot the marsh itself, which is a pain in the ass. The worst thing about it, though, it's the roster, since 3/4 of the Pokémon there can be caught outside of it.
>>
>>32936926
>>32937035
>>32937039
It was because the games had different perspectives, the FRLG were also changed
>>
>>32937814
Distortion World is overrated and drags for too long
>>
these threads on gen comparisons should only ever be argued by people who actually played the all games. I mean how can you really say what is best when you don't know.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.