[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Horii & Miyamoto Interview (1989)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Interview 1989.png (431KB, 824x2638px) Image search: [Google]
Interview 1989.png
431KB, 824x2638px
>H: [...] If you were to write a novelesque story for a video game, players would feel that it dragged on and on. The sense that you were the one driving the story would disappear. I think the most important aspect of game design is to immerse the player in the game’s universe and make them feel like they’re actively driving the plot.

>M: [...] There are scenes that make you feel as though you’re the one doing everything, and scenes that make you feel like you’re being pulled along against your will. I actually really dislike taking control away from the player.

>M: [...] I don’t think Adventure of Link had very good cutscenes. You feel like you’re watching things happen rather than achieving them yourself.

>H: [...] That’s what makes games different from movies or novels. If you make it work, you won’t alienate the players, and it’s possible to make them feel like they’re actually there.

Holy hell, it's incridible how such deep understanding of what makes a RPG good already existed in 1989, they even talked about the possibility of ONLINE rpgs in 89! Game Freak really stayed away of the core concept of what makes a RPG truly a RPG, in plain 2016, almost three decades of "evolution" later.

The line between gameplay and story-telling needs to be fixed in Pokemon, we have too much cutscenes and little gameplay, the immersion is totally broken, we need to go back to the roots.
>>
>>32934748

The genre as a whole went in that direction, not just Pokemon
>>
kek what a couple of faggots. Not surprised considering Dragon Quest is shit.
>>
>>32934782
This is probably true, even though some games are exceptions, they're minority now.
But why exactly this happened? Because linear story-focused games are easier to make? Games are too expensive compared to before?

>>32934798
Not going to say that Dragon Quest is the best RPG ever, but at least it IS a game, it lets you explore the world without holding your hand and limitating you to a straight corridor with tons of long cutscenes, the challenge and level design are notably higher/less constrained than Pokemon, too.
>>
>>32934886
>But why exactly this happened?
I think that maybe is due the work needed to get some visually appealing (3D models, animation and shit) alone and the need to stay competitive in the market (release titles regulary) made less time to made other things
>>
>>32934748
>we need to go back to the roots
You mean go back to having no fucking story at all? Fuck off, story in Pokémon can be great, there's lots of potential, the writers at Gamefreak just need to get fucking fired and replaced with someone professional.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.