[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can you tell me about competitive Pokémon in the first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: Snorlax vs Rhydon.png (545KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Snorlax vs Rhydon.png
545KB, 720x540px
What can you tell me about competitive Pokémon in the first two generations? Were things easier back in the day?
>>
In what ways?

The card game? Link cables?
>>
>>32933375
Gen 1: if it can't use earthquake or isn't mewtwo don't bother

Gen 2: STALL
>>
>Gen1
>When you Thunder Wave the opposing Slowbro with your Starmie because you got Thunder Waved first and don't want him to crit but he switches in Golem who proceeds to explode into your Exeggutor but it's ok because you barely survive and explode on the incoming Dragonite who used agility and proceeds to wrap your Tauros to death since you forgot you could switch into Gengar during Wrap and then you make your Gengar use Hypnosis on the Dragonite after his Earthquake misses and you proceed to explode on the incoming Alakazam and the crit wins you the game or so you thought but his Snorlax Hyper Beam crits your Jolteon once and then explodes on your Zapdos and crits you the right on the next turn and you lose because you cannot do jackshit to Chansey with a paralyzed Starmie.
>>
>Gen1
Blizzard spam
Sleep induction was everywhere
Thunder Wave was also everywhere
Explosion was your u-turn/volt switch
Psychic Water and Normal were the best types.
>Gen 2
Snorlax
Skarmory
Blissey
Heracross/Marowak
A legendary dog
Spikes
The Motion Picture
Directed by Steven Spielberg.
>>
>slowbro
>amnesia and thunder wave

>alakazam
>psychic

>lapras
>bolt beam and sing

>exeggutor
>sleep powder and explosion

>gengar
>explosion and hypnosis

>dragonite
>agility wrap

>tauros
>hyper beam body slam

>chansey
>softboild and thunder wave

>golem
>earthquake and explosion

>rhydon
>stronger earthquake

>starmie
>bolt beam

>jynx
>killing exeggutor

>zapdos
>thunderbolt and drill peck

>snorlax
>hyper beam

>jolteon
>thunderbolt and pin missile

>cloyster
>clamp blizzard and explosion
>>
>>32933538
forgot persian
>>
>>32935455
Persian is poop in Gen 1.
>>
>>32935483
But 100% STAB Slash crit
>>
File: 1498084342677.gif (1MB, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
1498084342677.gif
1MB, 192x192px
>>32933443
>Dragonite who used agility and proceeds to wrap

>>32933538
>>dragonite
>>agility wrap
>>
Gen II was basically Skarbliss.
>>
>>32935515
SkarmKou.
>>
>>32935496
Victreebell has 100% STAB Razor Leaf Crit which hits more important things, and also has Sleep Powder. Venusaur has the same, but also has Leech Seed.
Charizard has almost as strong Non-STAB Slash, but also has Fire Spin, Fire Blast, Earthquake, and Swords Dance.

Literally Persian's only niche was 100% Crit Slash + Bubblebeam to get past Rhydon/Golem. Which still made it shittier Taurous.
>>
>>32935562
leech seed is trash
>>
>>32933375
was the first world championship not a stadium based 3v3 where the winner swept with a single pokemon? it wasn't fantastically balanced, iirc.
>>
>>32935515
Gen 2, The Team:
Snorlax
Curse+Return+Shadow Ball+EQ+ Leftovers
OR Rest+Sleep Talk+Curse+Return+Leftovers

Misdreavus: Mean Look+Perish Song+Toxic+Didn't matter
To force out, or else trap and kill the more effective Sleep Talk Curselax, or toxic the less effective, but less vulnerable to Misdreavus Coverage Curselax.

Tyranitar
Pursuit+Earthquake+Rock Slide+Coverage
To trap the other guy's Misdreavus, and maybe flinch-hax Snorlax if you were desperate. Crushing Blissey.

Skarmory
Whirlwind+Spikes+Didn't metter
Survive Curselax, then phase it out

Raikou:
Thunder/Bolt+Crunch+Rain Dance/Whatever
For killing the other guy's Skarmory, moonlights as a threat to Misdreavus.

Blissy:
Softboiled/Rest+Toxic/Thunderwave+Seismic Toss+Whatever
For tanking out the other guy's Raikou.
>>
>>32935579
Not when combined with toxic
>>
File: shit saitama.png (216KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
shit saitama.png
216KB, 600x338px
>yfw snorlax in GSC
>>
>>32935579
Yes, but it had a more solid niche niche than anything Persian had, especially since Chansey is a thing.
>>
>>32935673
surely venusaur wouldn't be the one running it though. Exeggutor would, because its significantly tankier in the meta

>not weak to psychic and earthquake
>only 2hko'd by Articuno's blizzard despite being weak to it
>>
>>32935643
Blissey is a big pink shit in GSC, and the only reason to use it is a move you don't even mention: Heal Bell. Even then, Miltank is normally a better option, since Snorlax does the whole "Normal-type Special wall" while providing offensive pressure.

As far as I'm aware, there are two equally standard teams in GSC:

Snorlax (Curse), Zapdos, Cloyster, Exeggutor, Steelix, Filler (usually a late-game threat, such as Vaporeon, Gengar or Machamp). Uses Explosion with great enthusiasm.

Snorlax (Belly Drum), Raikou, Skarmory, Suicune/Starmie, Cloyster/Forretress, Filler (usually a wall or support mon that can deal with Snorlax, such as Misdreavus, Umbreon or Miltank). Heavy stall.
>>
>>32935708
Bullshit, Exeggutor has crap special defense, surely it must be less specially tanky than Venusaur.

>my nonexistent face when I suddenly remember Exeggutor had 60 more SpD back then, with 580BST
>Gyarados had 40 more SpA, 580BST
>Cloyster had 40 more SpD, 565BST
Those three were fucking ridiculous back then. Shame Gyarados was offmeta.
>>
>>32935740
Shit, forgot Heal Bell, you're right.
>>
>>32935751
Gyrados is still rad though
>hyper beam and body slam spam off 130 base attack
>can spam thunderbolt, fire blast, blizzard and hydro pump with 100 special
>>
>>32935708
>venusaur
>weak to EQ
>>
Every gen 1 team was
>Tauros
>Jynx
>Exeggutor
>Snorlax
>Chansey
>Rhydon

Every gen 2 ream was
>Snorlax
>Tyranitar
>Skarmory
>Raikou
>Heracross
>Marrowak
>>
>>32935895
Almost correct. For Gen 2, see >>32935740. For Gen 1, it's Big Four (Tauros, Chansey, Snorlax and Exeggutor), Lead (Alakazam, Starmie, Jynx or Gengar) and Lategame Threat (Slowbro, Zapdos, Rhydon, Golem or Lapras).
>>
>>32933375
TFW, after 20 years, I just now noticed the horn in Rhydons forehead. I thought he only had the one on his nose...
>>
>>32935751
Exeggutor had base 125 special in gen 1, since it was its spatk and spdef put into one stat, yes exeggutor was tankier than venusaur
>>
>>32935648
In what circumstance will toxic + Seeds actually benefit you?
>>
>>32935503
Yeah, that's how it worked.
Or T-Wave -> Wrap.

Wrap was fucking broken back then due to the fact you could attack again before the opponent moment if you were fast enough, thus stunlocking it to death.
>>
>>32939787
The circumstance of Gen 1.
>>
fairty type didn't eksist.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.