[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, what's the /vp/erdict?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: pokemon smd.jpg (100KB, 456x409px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon smd.jpg
100KB, 456x409px
Now that the dust has settled, what's the /vp/erdict?
>>
I'm pretty sure everyone thinks its okay, not great, inferior to Explorers of Sky, better than Gates to Infinity.
>>
>>32926935
it's ok
>>
Good
2nd best pmd
>>
Eclipsed Mystery Dungeon with gen 7 mons when
>>
I never finished it, just couldn't get into it.
>>
>>32926935
Better than Gen 6 or 7 main games.
Gameplay-centric game with real level-design where you actually play, instead reading cutscenes 90% of the time and navigating through straight corridors.
>>
File: 1497800498906.png (15KB, 559x560px) Image search: [Google]
1497800498906.png
15KB, 559x560px
>>
>>32926935
It has a couple of flaws, but is on par or better than the Rescue Team games.
>>
>>32926935
>Now that the dust has settled, what's the /vp/erdict?
stale meme and bad pun

PSMD
>Story:
Probably the worst story in any of the PMD, could've been good but it shit the bed really bad by making us spend so much time with characters that are totally ditched mid game and then trying to make us give a fuck about characters that we know little to nothing and as such we couldn't care less.
Also the villain was awful as in we have seen this before and it was done much better last time.

>Gameplay:
The best PMD core gameplay, the game was nicely challenging and fun, all of the items feels useful and being able to use any of your favorite pokemon to explore was great. wands are amazing!
Though i'm a little dissapointed at the fact that all there is to do is just dungeon exploring, i would've love if they brought back and tried to fix the base building feature of GTI or at least had 2 or 3 minigames to do between missions.
>>
>>32926982
This as fuck
>>
>>32926935
Great story, great music, great characters, shitty gameplay. Same as the rest of the PMD series.
>>
I like it.
>>
>>32927279
So then its better than all the explorers games.
>>
>>32927328
>>shitty gameplay
>He doesn't likes rogue-likes

Shit taste familia.
>>
>>32926935
the story is good until the second part then the pace is bad and the ending is meh

the gameplay is ok, the miss and miss part is annoying
>>
Fuck Nuzleaf
>>
>>32927381
Nope. I'm generally not a fan of games with procedurally generated levels. They rarely turn out well.
>>
File: 1405986969424.jpg (68KB, 500x515px) Image search: [Google]
1405986969424.jpg
68KB, 500x515px
>>32927305
>Probably the worst story in any of the PMD, could've been good but it shit the bed really bad by making us spend so much time with characters that are totally ditched mid game and then trying to make us give a fuck about characters that we know little to nothing and as such we couldn't care less.
Oh my god, this so hard. I got so fucking mad that they just up and ditched everyone from the first half of the game.
The story would've been improved tenfold if the MC was turned down, they go home and make their own Exploration Society with blackjack, hookers, and all the other kids from school. Make a name for themselves instead of joining a bunch of literally whos with almost zero character to them.

>Also the villain was awful as in we have seen this before and it was done much better last time.
Even I thought Bittercold was lame as fuck. Dark Matter or whatever the fuck the final boss was in SMD felt like a more watered down, edgier version.
Honestly, I'm getting tired of them reusing shit from previous games, especially plot elements. The last 2/3rds of Super was just a huge rehash of Sky's second half. And the "villains" are getting worse and worse. I hold Rescue Team in high regard because it doesn't actually have a villain, but still has tangible, believable conflict.

The story is my biggest issue with the game. The gameplay is fine, if a bit watered down in areas and strengthened in others compared to Sky. The break system can go fuck itself.

Does anyone have that image where SMD's climax is compared to Tales of Symphonia's?
>>
>>32927403
>Spoiler
No, because atleast on Symphonia whe knew all along that Colette was an angel, the Mew crap was an asspull ftom here and beyond.
>>
>>32927398
Not going to say that one type is superior to the other, but rogue-likes are fun in their own way: Resource maneagement, unpredicable layouts/objects, the fact that enemies put pressure instead of merely being optional (like in the main games, you can just run away or use repels).

Also, at least it HAS levels, the only thing vaguely similar to a dungeon in Sun/Moon is Vast Poni Canyon, everything else is so barebones.
>>
>>32927448
Traditional dungeons are fun, I just don't like procedurally generated ones. There's too much potential for bullshit, ranging from unfairly difficult levels to ones where you start one tile from the exit. Dungeons actually designed by people are invariably better. I respect rogue-likes' place in gaming history, but I don't enjoy playing them.

It's a shame, because I like pretty much everything about the PMD series except the actual gameplay.
>>
>>32927491
>It's a shame, because I like pretty much everything about the PMD series except the actual gameplay.
Well then, if you don't like how the MYSTERY DUNGEON games play then you can't say the gameplay is terrible as in like it has gotten worse.
>>
>>32927516
I didn't say its gotten worse, or anything comparative. I said it's terrible, in my opinion. You're absolutely entitled to feel differently. That's what makes it an opinion.
>>
>>32927602
>I said it's terrible, in my opinion. You're absolutely entitled to feel differently. That's what makes it an opinion.
The thing is that you're saying that the gameplay is bad, which isn't true,you just don't like the way Mystery dungeon games play.
It's like i said that the CoD games are boring and their gameplay is shit, but in reality, i just don't like shooters.
>>
>>32927691
That's a really pedantic distinction. In my opinion, it's bad, in the sense that I think that it's a conceptually bad form of gameplay. You might think it's good, and that's fine.

Now, you are right that it would be more objective to say "I don't like this gameplay," rather than "this gameplay is bad." But my aim isn't to be objective, it's to give my opinion, which is that procedurally generated dungeons are a conceptually bad form of gameplay.
>>
not as good as explorers, which doesn't add up to me because it had most everything from Sky and Gates put together. One thing I hate is how basic attacks are fucking worthless. Also I think the 3d models and environments are cool, but for some reason they are at times hard to decipher and see what is on the floor versus the sprites of DS.
>>
Best PMD in my opinion. Sky is easily the second best and does have some things that would've made Super better if they hadn't taken them out like the Gummi abilities, recruiting more than one of each pokemon, and endless jobs, but I feel that Super is superior in most other aspects. If the next game combines the connection orb with the old recruitment system so that after connecting with a pokemon by doing a mission for it, we can then recruit it by beating it in dungeons, and they bring back endless jobs, and has a good story it would be the best MD by quite a big gap
>>
File: 1470676095750.png (3MB, 1700x1700px) Image search: [Google]
1470676095750.png
3MB, 1700x1700px
It's attracted some of the worst autists in the series.
>>
>>32927969
So... much... nonsensical hair...
>>
>>32927700
Did you read his fucking comment? Here it is again, in case you missed it.

>It's a shame, because I like pretty much everything about the PMD series except the actual gameplay.

Please, point out where he said it was bad. Oh yeah, you can't, because he didn't. He just said he didn't like it. You're putting words in somebody's mouth and then getting arguing with them about it, when they didn't say anything like what you're arguing against. Quit being a fucking tool.

That said, I enjoy a few mystery dungeon games, but even I recognize that they're a flawed genre, simply because of the things this guy said too. I've gone through a final dungeon and spawned directly next to an exit on a lower floor that should have been a huge challenge. I've also spawned into rooms swarming with enemies, gotten multiple rare floor spawns that made the dungeon ridiculous easy, and even run into literally three trap tiles in a straight line. The very idea of a randomly generated dungeon means that it's always going to be fresh, but it also means that a large amount of the time it's going to be either way too easy or absolute bullshit. The deciding factors that make one of these games good or not is what unique gameplay elements they bring to the table to balance the questionable content of the dungeons and how strong the story is to motivate me to keep slogging through them. PMD tends to do both pretty damn well, with lots of gameplay options available and at least decent stories that are fun to explore. There are plenty of mystery dungeon games that do better in both fields, and some that do it worse, but PMD lands in a category of being at least reliably solid, even if they're never going to be the best of the genre.
>>
>>32927969
I can't stop staring at that Typhlosion there.
>>
>>32928090

The Dragonair's hotter though.
>>
Best gameplay in the series, but I wish there was a skip cutscene option. Plot's horrendous, even by Chunsoft standards. Decent characters are scrapped, and annoying, one-note twats stay throughout the majority of the game. Garbage partner, just like the rest of the series. Villains are mindhack handwave bullshit so the writers can avoid creating an actual motivation behind what they did.
Sky's the same way, Grovyle and the partnee are fucking boring and insufferable, respectively, and the gameplay doesn't make up for it. The regular attack nerf was better than Explorers' press A to instakill gameplay.
>>
>>32928156
>Talking shit about Sky
congratulations moron, you just put a big target on your head for speaking the truth
>>
File: Kazuichi Soda.png (125KB, 960x560px) Image search: [Google]
Kazuichi Soda.png
125KB, 960x560px
>>32928156
>Decent characters are scrapped, and annoying, one-note twats stay throughout the majority of the game.
>Villains are mindhack handwave bullshit so the writers can avoid creating an actual motivation behind what they did.
Sounds familiar.
>>
>>32926982
>inferior to Explorers of Sky, better than Gates to Infinity

was literally going to post this
>>
>>32928156
>The regular attack nerf was better than Explorers' press A to instakill gameplay.
that's what I didn't like about it! You could instakill if you had the right, like against a weak enemy or something.
>>
>>32926935
I reckon it was alright.
>>
>>32928156
>The regular attack nerf was better than Explorers' press A to instakill gameplay.

nah that only worked in early dungeons aka dungeons that you're not going to visit again

I really want to see you use the regular attacks in Zero island or the Shimmer Desert
>>
>>32927403
>I hold Rescue Team in high regard because it doesn't actually have a villain, but still has tangible, believable conflict.
fucking this
also friend areas greatly pleased my autism
here's a medley so my post isn't just "this"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Uz4Y2gqK8
>>
>>32928302
>hating on Pepsiman
His only crime is being useless near the end of the game just like the rest of the DR2 cast
>>
>>32926935
It was not as good as it could've been, but I was relatively satisfied. I consider it the least satisfying in the series, however, but simultaneously the 2nd best because Rescue Team was the first in the series and GtI had a quality story to make up for the somewhat downgraded gameplay. I did not like a few of the questionable decisions made for both gameplay and story. Gameplay was overall improved.

Should we try to meld >>32926802 together?

>>32927305
>>32927403
The stuff AROUND the villain I liked due to how bleak things were after the turning point, but the villain made even less sense than Bittercold.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.