[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

autistically rationalizing battle mechanics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1481351991422.jpg (89KB, 573x547px)
1481351991422.jpg
89KB, 573x547px
How would switching work in a "real life" battle? I can see turns as both players giving their commands at the same time and then the pokemon attack each other, I think it works like this in the anime as well (it's been a while since I last saw it.)

So how does switching in work? Mechanically it's obviously so you can't just switch around all you want, there needs to be a limit. But why would I throw my pokeball into the enemy's next attack? Since your opponent can't see that you're switching pokemon until the turn starts (after they've issued their order), I take that to mean you're recalling your pokemon at the last second to avoid the attack. In that case, why wouldn't you throw it somewhere else, away from your opponent's pokemon instead of right into them?
Does this come up in the anime or anything? Are people just straight up attacking the pokeballs? surely there would be some sort of rules against that sort of thing, it seems unsporting
>>
>>32924147
In real life it would probably be more like the anime and just for autisms sake it would probably work like in the NBA. You can switch out during fouls or time outs

That being said idk what a foul would be considered in pokemon but you get what I mean
>>
>>32924171
>That being said idk what a foul would be considered in pokemon but you get what I mean

Switching when you shouldn't switch
Endangering or harming an opposing trainer or the audience (Pokemon trained for battle are actually much more restrained than an otherwise peaceful wild Pokemon battling)
Stepping inside the battle line of the arena (trainers have a line they have to stand behind to not endanger themselves)

That's all that immediately comes to mind.
>>
>>32924192
I wonder how they would deal with things like poison, fire and electric damage. that would be pretty fucked up to do to a living thing
>>
>>32924147
Read the manga
Or watch any anime: generations, Origins or the assnime
>>
>>32924147
Fa/tg/uy here, GMing a game of Pokemon Tabletop United. How I handle switching is like this.

In Sanctioned Pokemon League Rules (so any tournament, gym match, etc. There's an unspoken rule that trainers follow these rules outside of sanctioned matches as well.), each trainer is allowed a number of switches equal to the number of 'Mons used in that match. So, in a standard 3v3 match, each trainer is allowed 3 switches, outside of switching fainted 'Mons. This if for two reasons. first, it's unsportsmanlike; without these rules, trainers can just keep switching and nothing happens. Second, it limits the Juggler class: the Juggler can switch, immediately use any move, and give that move priority. A Juggler can flinch-lock using two 'mons with Fake Out for example, quite literally forever.

In backyard battles anything goes.
>>
>>32924147
I imagine switching works instantaneously, kinda like if you clicked a link on this page, you couldn't make your computer delay getting there long enough for the opponent's attack to finish. The same would probably work with pokeballs, even though I know you having to throw them would disprove this.

The bigger question is how using potions and the like in battle would work. It has huge priority, so would the trainer getting the item out, getting close to their pokemon, and using it on them be faster than any opponent? Does the trainer call a "time out," then do their thing and the opponent has no say in the matter? Both of these are the same against trainers and wild pokemon, so rules can't be a factor unles your trainer has some kind of shackling muscle memory or something that adheres them to the rules.

Maybe it's best not thinking to hard about it...
>>
>>32925230
I think items like that are a purely rpg mechanic. Otherwise, trainers would just load up on Full Restores and the person with the most wins. Matches become the definition of pay-to-play.
>>
>>32925274
Nah, they've used potions several times in the anime, but not during battles (I think), so they do exist within the canon Pokemon reality. But I dont think they're as readily available or as much of a cure all as they are in the games.

I dont even like using them in the games, and ive gotten to where i never use them during a battle. And I try to cure statuses only with berries, too. Shit. Am I a pokehippie naturalist or some shit?
>>
>>32925545
me too, i feel like cheating. Anyway, i think in real world, in tournaments, potions would be banned or would have a limit.
>>
>>32924147
I always imagined it would work better in-universe if switching wasn't really a thing. You can switch after a Pokemon gets knocked out, like playing on Shift except you don't know what your opponent will send next, but switching in the middle of a fight just sounds awkward.
>>
How do they explain moves like Roar or abilities like Arena Trap outside the games?
>>
File: 19647771_p0.gif (799KB, 2280x1541px) Image search: [Google]
19647771_p0.gif
799KB, 2280x1541px
>>32924147
I think it would be like if you go to switch, it leaves your pokemon open to attacks, so you can only do it when you've created some distance or otherwise disabled the opponent. Or say if your opponent is also switching. Like you can't do it in the heat of battle, you need to do it in a calmer moment.
No real evidence to support that, thats just how I imagine it would work out in "reality".
>>
>>32924147
In my eyes it works like this:
The games are in an rpg based world, so things like certain moves, abilities, items and mechanics are completely different. In the anime most of the time when you're in, you're in. You send in a tiny ass chimchar against a big ass onix? Too bad so sad it was your choice now either get fucked up or walk away and concede. Its never outright stated but to me it sounds like doing things like switching mid-battle is something of a taboo in the anime world. Items are generally only used outside of battle too, thought sometimes there are exceptions especially with berries [like when Roxie tosses his pokemon a Berry to cure poison to make the match a bit fairer].
>>
>>32926588
>in the anime Ash beat Brock's Onix with a Pikachu

It's hard, finding the balance between the RPG mechanics world the games and the do as thou wilt mentality of the anime.
>>
the fact that he only won by cheating/bullshit circumstances so many times in the original anime pisses me off so much
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.