[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw hand-holding actually may actually be necessary Noticed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: 1497786740994.jpg (194KB, 736x1559px) Image search: [Google]
1497786740994.jpg
194KB, 736x1559px
>tfw hand-holding actually may actually be necessary

Noticed my 10 yr old sister was marathoning the XY anime, so I lent her Y so she could play as Serena

I checked in on her a week later to see her progress. She told me she stopped playing after 3 days because she got "stuck" and couldnt figure out how to get the 2nd gym badge.

I was able to beat red version when I was 4 yrs old. What the fuck is up with kids nowadays? They'd rather watch some fags play games on youtube then actually try it themselves. Youtube lets players arent even good either they all fucking suck. I hate this gay earth.
>>
than*
>>
>>32884137
At least you have a cute lil sister to teach how to play pokemon
>>
It's not handholding that's necessary, it's actually decent game design. Gamefreak has no idea how to hint players of where they need to go. As of current, you just have to read what people say and know what you have to do. There are no places that just look interesting and so the player is drawn there, no important-looking npc's that the player can talk to that will give them a hint, no intuitive directions or even a log that details the next goal, which other monster-catching jrpg's have adopted due to the open-endedness of the genre. Gamefreak is just GENUINELY bad at game design, and their games suffer for it. Put Pokémon in the hands of a competent developer and it would be 10 times better, easily.
>>
>>32884137
>What the fuck is up with kids nowadays? They'd rather watch some fags play games on youtube then actually try it themselves

>implying this is just kids

Thousands of 20-somethings watch Twitch streams and shit. It's just a part of internet culture these days. A really fucking stupid part that I hope collapses soon.
>>
>>32884137
How? I was a fucking retard as a six year old who didn't know how to catch Pokemon (I thought you could at the very start of the game), and I ended up beating Crystal.
>>
>>32884137
when I was 4 playing red I got stuck plenty of times. I remember my little cousin sucking at Diamond/Pearl. Kids just have a short attention span and don't really know how to plan things ahead or keep clues in mind (even more so if these clues are given through text that they will ALWAYS skip through without reading). If no one is helping or guiding them, learning some things will be harder and they won't have fun playing the game (this is made worse by the fact that once you had a limited access to games so you would try to get the most out of what you had, while now we have a gazillion other thigns to keep us entertained).
>>
>>32884137
>What the fuck is up with kids nowadays? They'd rather watch some fags play sports on TV than actually try it themselves.
>>
Honestly getting to the 2nd gym is x and y is a mess

Beat gym 1st gym

Travel lumnoise to the lab get the kanto starter

Travel to snorlax head to the castle catch the furfour

Get pokeflute

Battle painters head through connecting cave

It's much harder than just going through mt moon in red and blue
>>
>>32884137
>I hate this gay earth
>Post anime
Really are you this stupid?
>>
I got good through the sheer idiocy of not knowing how to save the game in Pokémon Red.
The furthest I got was Celadon before either I or the batteries gave out.
>>
I'm less concerned by hand holding than hand-ours.

Pidgey ratty and wormface all serve a design purpose. Pokemon has a lot of progression, and part of that is having early game options and replacing them as you explore. If the first patch of grass you see has evees and lucarios the pacing and progression Is ruined.
>>
>>32884137
I was 7 and had basic english in school. I learned myself how to run emulator and beat red in half year with dictionary on lap. I learned so many words in english all teachers thought i I had english parents.
>>
>>32885330
I must admit it i skipped many places in Alola. Like fucking desert
>>
File: 1473359150206.png (127KB, 599x337px) Image search: [Google]
1473359150206.png
127KB, 599x337px
>>32884161
>tfw used to play games with my sister
>we could spend hour trying to figure out a hard boss or level
>Now she's just barely interested in narrative games
>She wanted to try Kingdom Hearts because she loves Disney and we played FFX together
>Struggled to much and quickly stop
I miss those times
>>
>>32884154
this
>>
>>32884137
I was 7 when I played Red and I didn't progress past Vermilion City for a month because I didn't understand how to use Cut. I restarted the game from the beginning every day because I didn't know saving was a thing.

Don't overestimate kids.
>>
>>32884137
To be fair getting from gym 1 to gym 2 in XY is perhaps the most terribly designed thing gamefreak has ever done.

Though, I will agree handholding in a kid's game very much makes sense, they just need a "I already know this" response
>>
dumb kids
>>
>>32884154
Not arguing that GameFreak makes pretty questionable choices way too often, but the RotomDex was a way of addressing the issue. Half-assed and mediocre as usual, but an attempt was made, I guess.
>>
>>32885503
>I restarted the game from the beginning every day because I didn't know saving was a thing

Did you not know english or something? In that case it would be reasonable, otherwise I don't know how you missed it, unless you never ever pressed start which would be pretty odd
>>
>>32884191
That's more of a pacing issue than anything else. The time between gyms 1 and 2 in Kalos is atrociously infamous.
>>
>>32885597
Maybe he rushed the dialogue telling him he could use cut on the trees
>>
>>32884137
You think that's bad? My sister got lost in the first floor of Mt. Moon, I had to help her get out of there and even then she gave up again before SS Anne in Yellow. I don't want to hold her hand again, so I threw away like 9 dollars by buying that game.
>>
>>32885649
Could always look up walkthroughs for the game online and make her follow that. I used walkthroughs for the longest time as a kid until I started paying attention to in-game events and problem-solved where I most likely needed to go next.
>>
>>32884137
there are too many games today that arefast and offer quick rewards. kids are not stupid, just spoiled compared to us.

>>32884192
What is it about anime?
>>
>>32885668
I actually did that as well, I told her to look up playthroughs in YouTube or merely look it up in Google to no avail, still gave up. I got a bit frustrated and decided to not help anymore, it just can't be healthy to hold someone's hand for so long
Captcha: Burnhope
>>
>>32884174
>this is made worse by the fact that once you had a limited access to games so you would try to get the most out of what you had, while now we have a gazillion other thigns to keep us entertained
This x100. When I was growing up I got a sega genesis for christmas with Sonic 2. It was my only game until Easter when I got a second game, Aladdin. My options if I wanted to play video games were Sonic 2 or Aladdin. If I got stuck my options were work through it or work through the part of the other game where I was stuck. If I didn't want to play games there was exactly one TV channel with cartoons on it. Also we only had one TV so if my father wanted to watch the news, it meant no vidya or cartoons. By comparison, my two year old watches Bob the Builder videos on a phone whenever we have to go for a drive that's longer than 15 minutes. He has unlimited entertainment all the time, regardless of location. It's easy to see why kids now never learn how to work through a challenge; any time they face a problem they can just walk away.
>>
>>32885694
No, you're right. Handholding isn't gonna help her, especially if she's too stubborn or frustrated atm to advance the game.

It's unfortunate, because this kind of setback is a good learning skill, that you should always keep trying until you solve it. You can only hope that maybe when she's a bit older, she'll be reminded of the game and finally get past Mt. Moon.
Best you can do is casually mention every few months, "Have you tried Pokemon Yellow again? I think you'll get out this time if you give it another try."

I occasionally babysit two boys who love playing Zelda. The older brother usually struggles with gaming cause he gets easily frustrated, but the younger one is a natural at gaming. So I'm familiar with knowing when to handhold and when to let them figure out problems on their own.
>>
>>32884154
>You have to read what people say
Yea, that's pretty important in most rpgs. Reading.

>No places that look interesting
What game are you talking about? It doesn't need to be glamorous but it does need to not look like other things. The Gyms in Gen 1 had the word "GYM" on it, and that was fine enough. I don't really get what you're saying.

>no important looking npc's
fair

>no intuitive directions
I agree with this one. As a kid, I couldn't get past mt. moon without someone showing me because the place was designed...interestingly. I didn't want a straight line, but as I kid, better guidance in the game wouldn't have hurt. And then there was the strength puzzles that they dropped out of nowhere at victory road. I had no idea what I was supposed to do with them. Same for ice path in gen 2 because I didn't know they could drop.

The rest, I had no trouble with because things started to look better (GBA) and I was older I guess.

WAIT, could anyone figure out the regi "puzzles" without a guide?
>>
>>32884163
Things don't hold kids' attention very easily anymore because they have thousands of hours of free entertainment they can instantly turn to at any second.

When we got a game, we had to stick through it because we didn't know when we were going to get another one.

Now if you get stuck you just download another one off the app store.
>>
>>32885597
>unless you never ever pressed start which would be pretty odd
Why would you ever be forced to?

Switch team order? "Who cares, Starter everything."
Check dex? "What's a dex, I skipped that dialogue also don't care."
Bag? "I only need that when in battle."
Options? "Didn't even occur to me they existed."

The real thing is, this means he never once used a computer, because the GB games auto-save when you do.
>>
>>32885597
you o know in early games there was no 'save' only 'high scores'.
i managed to save games, but having eexperiance on games like allycat, digger and bad dudes or whatever didn't prepare me to the option of recording my playtrough. (aside from passwords in some cases)
>>
>>32885892
I know you're not forced to press start, it just seems odd he never once tried to do that considering he was stuck.
>>
>>32885819
>WAIT, could anyone figure out the regi "puzzles" without a guide?
They could if they read the instruction booklet that came with the game, as it had a braille conversion chart at the back.

Also the first room is just a big alphabet.

Then again, I solved both the line at the bottom of the Artemis Fowl books and the runes on the Hobbit map, so I may just be good at solving codes without a key.
>>
>>32885819
>WAIT, could anyone figure out the regi "puzzles" without a guide?
yes, if they had contact with blind people on regular basis.
>>
>>32885922
Half the reason Boomers can't solve their own tech problems is that they're afraid to read and explore buttons.

So seems at least plausible that a millennial got raised that way too.
>>
When I was kid I pass through Rock Tunnel without use Flash because I don't have idea something like that existed.
>>
>>32885951
Lol I did the same thing, took me a while
>>
>>32884137
Pokemon just suffers HEAVILY from Startropics syndrome
>>
>>32884146
and later fuck
>>
>>32885951
I still go through rock tunnel without flash because I'm too lazy to get the HM
>>
>>32886201
WHY NOT FUCK HER WHEN SHE'S STILL CUTE AND CUDDLY?!
>>
>>32885951
same, I also memorized the way to red in mt.silver cause I didn't want to carry a flash shitmon.
>>
>>32886201

>later
>>
How are most small kids handling the games?

My niece is only 6 months old but I'm hoping to revive her genwunner dad's old team to give to her if she gets into the series when she reaches childhood but it would only be worth doing if she can at least beat the main game.
>>
When I was younger I got stuck with 6 badges because I couldn't figure out how to get into Saffron City. The solution is obvious in retrospect, but at the time I was expecting a solution more in-line with the other roadblocks in the game, like a key item or the guards leaving on their own after triggering something.

That's probably why FRLG changed it.
>>
>>32884137
>I was able to beat red version when I was 4 yrs old.

No you weren't.
>>
>>32886772
I beat sapphire at 9, including sky pillar mach bike challenges and regi puzzles, and I have a friend who beat yellow without knowing how to read, so... possible.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.