[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Useless moves that exist for some reason

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

File: Synchronoise.png (102KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
Synchronoise.png
102KB, 400x240px
ITT: Useless moves that exist for some reason
>>
>>32845416
What attack is that
>>
>>32846035
Ur a dumb faggot
>>
>>32846035
Synchronoise is a move that can only be used on opponent's that share a type with you, iirc.
>>
>tfw liquid voice synchronoise is still useless
>>
>>32845416
All the sport moves. You aren't going to get any more immune to Electric than you already are, Geodude.
>>
>>32846064
Support moves. And when you use mud sport suddenly gyarados becomes even better
>>
>>32846083
Ah, right. I don't normally battle other players so I tend to forget things like that.
>>
File: latest[1].png (802KB, 1174x881px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
802KB, 1174x881px
>>32845416
There was a brief period in Gen 5 where Soak+Synchronoise was one of Golduck's main sets. Also, this exact pic is the best way to get a Seviper in X Version from the hordes of Zangoose + 1 Seviper. It's practically a requirement if you want to catch one with a hidden ability. This isn't even mentioning the fun you can have with it in monotype.

Anyway, Smog is like the worst "coverage" move of all time. Most of the pokemon that get it are fire types and it's less accurate than fire blast, effectively negating its somewhat high poison chance. A weak move(20BP before gen 6 upped it to 30) with no STAB and low accuracy is never useful, even in the beginning of level up moves where most pokemon learn it.
>>
>>32845416
>no Poison type Special Attacker with Synchronoise

Not even Poison Eevee, which would be the best user of that move because now I can hit Poison types for super affective damage,
>>
All I remember about Synchronoise is that XY mono Fairy competition where it was amazing on Gardevoir, if it wasn't for that I'd forget the move existed
>>
>>32846083
Reflect/Light Screen is infinitely better
>>
Flatter is shit in Singles because the Sp. Atk boost doesn't get factored into confusion damage, and it's not even that good in doubles for Own Tempo gimmicks because it only raises Sp. Atk by 1 stage, as opposed to 2 for Swagger.
>>
Has anyone ever gotten any mileage out of those Oath moves from Gen 5? I never saw the point.
>>
>>32846057
God damnit
>>
>>32846190
meh, I see them as moves that kids would like using since they have starter fever and they are meant to be used together.

I'm thinking of the right moves right?
>>
Tail whip.

IMO game should make the boosts/detriments more powerful in the short term, but instead of making them permanent have the buffs wear off after x turns. Becomes a more active ability.
>>
>>32846198
Yeah, they were actually called Pledges overseas, I used the original name by mistake. They were the ones that would become stronger if a double battle partner used a Pledge of another type that turn.

I'm not really sure if it's worth it, is what I'm saying. There's plenty of other moves that hit hard without needing two Pokemon.
>>
>>32846190
Pledge moves? They were really good in gen 6 triples and are still used sometimes in doubles
>>
>>32846229
Oh, I had no idea. Neat.

Funny how a lot of moves have a niche in multiplayer even if they seem useless in the campaign.
>>
>>32845416
Synchronoise could of been viable if it was Dragon or Ghost type and still worked when the opponent does not share your type (just with lower power).
>>
File: litwick.png (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
litwick.png
5KB, 225x225px
Imprison is pretty useless imo
>>
>>32846245
Would Gourgeist with Trick or Treat and Synchronoise be a viable set, if it could learn the latter?
>>
>>32846227
>>32846190
The concept of combo moves is fun, but they're generally pretty underwhelming. Still, I wish they expanded on the concept.
>>
>>32846261
The only time I've ever seen Imprison hit something was when it was the same species as my Pokemon.
>>
>>32846238
The Pledges are fairly usable in-game in SM if you're willing to grind a bit; 80BP STAB immediately after the first kahuna is nothing to sneeze at, but you need to max out your starter's happiness to teach it to them. It doesn't really matter for Popplio since you get Scald just before the second trial, but Rowlet and Litten appreciate the raw power in the early game (so do Chikorita and Cyndaquil if you caught them).
>>
>>32846261
there's always that imprison+transform gimmick, so it's not totally useless
>>
>>32846266
Itd virtually always be better off with a SE ghost stab if it's running ToT
>>
>>32846261
Imprison has always had use in doubles because of blocking Protect
>>
>>32846261
It's good to stop trick room, although kinda gimmicky.
>>
>>32846064
Ever since Gen VI, Mud Sport is active for five turns and works even if the user switches out. For an early-game support move, it's not bad.
>>
constrict is the most useless move, end of discussion.
>10 base power
>10% chance to drop speed by 1
>most pokemon that learn it have higher special attack than their regular attack
name one situation where you would ever use this move
>>
>>32846314
i also forgot to mention it's a fucking normal type move
absolutely worthless
>>
>>32846314
IIRC it's good in Pokemon Rumble for stunlocking things in a circle, but I may be wrong and spinoffs may or may not count.
>>
>>32846333
I'd only count a spinoff for this discussion if it followed the same battle rules as the main game
>>
>>32846314
It's gotta be a joke move or something

>mfw they give it the Leech Life treatment
>80 BP, 100% to lower speed
>>
>>32846190
They're good in game i guess
>>
>>32846190
they were used in VGC a bunch. Chlorophyll venusaur turned mega charizard y's fire pledge into a hell of a nuke
>>
Rolling kick. 60 bp, 85 accuracy and has a 30% chance to flinch. Of the 5 lines that can learn it, only one can actually use it somewhat effectively: Marshadow. And even then it has better moves to take advantage of technician with like mach punch and force palm. The others who can learn it have far better options or don't have the speed to use it like Machamp and Hitmontop.
>>
>>32846110
How many poison type special attacker exists? I can only think of Tentacruel...
>>
>>32846620
I've heard people argue nidoking is better off as a special attacker, though i guess strictly speaking it'd be most appropriate to call him a mixed attacker
>>
File: tumblr_nkcp5jqlAj1swx9ioo1_250.gif (783KB, 250x150px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nkcp5jqlAj1swx9ioo1_250.gif
783KB, 250x150px
>>32845416
>>
File: 2017-06-23 16.35.18.png (136KB, 720x631px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-23 16.35.18.png
136KB, 720x631px
This is literally the worst and most useless thing in pokemon.

>ability that makes you always move last
>move that makes opponent move last but only if used before opponent.

Even splash is better when used with a z-crystal.
>>
>>32846651
>what are doubles
>>
it's interesting that up to a gen ago, conversion would have easily made the list
z-crystals are one hell of a drug

conversion 2 on the other hand, still sucks
>>
>>32846660
Read the post more carefully
>>
>>32846660
>what is reading comprehension.
>>
>>32846672
>>32846685
sorry anon(s), you are right
>>
>>32846651
This must be the worst useless combination scenario of all times
>>
>>32845416
splash.
>>
>>32846620
Roserade, venusaur, fucking gengar...
>>
>>32846632
I'm rather suprised that not everybody thinks he is as special attacker far better than as attacker.
>>
Funnily enough all the hyper beam variants (including hyper beam) are pretty fucking shit after Gen 1
>>
>>32846875
gen 4 had a gimmick porygon-z set that used it

it wasn't particularly good but taking out the greatest special wall of it's era with just a +2 boost in a single hit had it's charm
>>
>>32846224
meh it's pretty useful early game for your fodder/ nfe mons against really tough opponents, just tail whip a few times, taking huge damage, and switch out to another mon so they can ohko it.
>>
>>32845416
Confide is the biggest waste of a TM slot in series history.
>>
>>32846929
what about gen 1 Whirlwind
that move literally had ZERO use outside of wild pokemon battles

at least teleport allowed you to teleport to a center
>>
>>32846972
Forgot about that.
>>
>>32846860
His special moves give him better coverage.
>>
>>32846771
Use to be but not anymore
>>
>>32847046
>His special moves give him better coverage.
it's hilarious how many physical attackers have god tier special movepools

seriously look up the special movepool of rampardos, it's obscene
>>
>>32846620
Salazzle, Nihilego, Dragalge, Amonguus, Wheezing, Seviper, Venomoth, Duxtox.
>>
>>32847058
>Ice Beam
>Thunderbolt
>Fire Blast
>Surf

What the actual fuck
>>
>>32847080
He truly is a living fossil.
>>
>>32847080
don't forget focus blast, earth power and dragon pulse
>>
>>32847058
Yeah but Nidoking's attack and sp. Attack are not that different.
>>
>>32847058
>still no move that swaps a Pokemon's attack and special attack
>>
>>32847123
honestly, rampardos is so god damn slow and fragile they could give it an ability that made it's special attacks work off it's attack stat and it still wouldn't even reach OU

would be a pretty neat niche though
>>
>people think Bad moves = useless

pokemon isn't just competitive battling, guys. Like all RPG's pokemon follow a learning curve where good moves don't come until the end game. Some moves are bad on purpose and serve as a handicap, the most blatant being splash on magikarp. Plus you still need bad moves like supersonic and smog anyway to pad out all the fodder mons.

Truly there are no useless moves. Except constrict. Seriously, 10 base power?
>>
>>32847798

Cut is useless

Why not just make scratch or Slash the HM? They are actually good fucking moves compared to Cut

Starters learn scratch before you even get Cut
>>
>>32845416
belch alone
>>
>>32847080
aggron suffers the same
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.