[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why should I use A-Wak over classic? t. Groundfag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_6185.png (48KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6185.png
48KB, 250x250px
Why should I use A-Wak over classic?

t. Groundfag
>>
>it just gets biggers vs interesting concept that adds a type that was previously exclusive to ONE (1) line
>>
>>32835392
It's used competitively since tons of OU Pokemon coincidentally get checked by Ghost/Fire+Lightning Rob. I wish Chandelure got Lightning Rob.
>>
>>32835392
ground is a shit type to have as your only stab
>>
>>32835392
more like why should anyone use the originals Marowak, Muk etc. over the alolan forms since the latter are simply improved versions
Alolan forms were a mistake
>>
>>32835392
Better coverage and resistances while keeping one of the best things Ground type has which is electric immunity.
>>
>>32835392
I prefer the original as well but there are several little reasons that add up to make A-Marowak just plain better.

First typing, which alone would not be much difference. Pure Ground is a bit too bland, the upper tiers are oversaturated with Ground types and it's easy to shut down its STAB by sending Flying types. Meanwhile Ghost/Fire is a pretty well rounded STAB combo, allowing you to hit hard most things. Marowak's primary gimmick is abusing its thick club to hit hard enemies, and in meta that is always getting bulkier a 50% boost can make it or break it easily.
Secondly, Abilities. Lighting Rod is redundant on Marowak while it's an excellent tool on A-Marowak, allowing you to switch it in on threaths to your Water and/or Flying types, I remember using it with success pairing him with Pelipper for this reason. Normal Marowak can only run Rock Head, which it can use only to abuse his STAB-less Double-Edge, also Normal is not very good coverage, while A-Marowak can run Rock Head as well and it has Flare Blitz to abuse it with.
Finally, signature moves and moveppol in general. Marowak blatantly gets the short stick on this one, three, THREE fucking signatures and NONE of them is particularly good other than Bonemerang for ok damage and breaking Substitutes, and then again it's easy to shut down by sending a Flying type. Meanwhile, A-Marowak gets a reliable physical STAB Ghost move (something a lot of physical Ghost types would give their soul for) in Shadow Bone, 85 Power, 100 Accuracy, chance to drop enemy's defense.
There you have it.

Personally I dislike base Marowak being so blatantly underpowered compared to its alolan cousin, it could easily being fixed by:
1) giving him some decent moves A-Marowak can't get;
2) give him a Ground move with recoil, could be called Bone Smash as a parallel to Head Smash, so that at least it can hit as hard as A-Marowak's Flare Blitz;
3) Make Bonemerang able to hit Flying types so that it can be Zygarde junior.
>>
>>32835646
Original Dugtrio is better than A-Dugtrio but I think that's the only one.
some still have niches like original Ninetales' drought
>>
File: polynesianrat.jpg (117KB, 900x544px) Image search: [Google]
polynesianrat.jpg
117KB, 900x544px
>>32835686
Raticate is debatable, but I personally like the dark STAB more than slightly better attack and guts. The design is also great.
>>
>>32835392
>Better STABs and resistances
>Lightning Rod is less pointless
>Rock Head STAB Flare Blitz. Base Wak only has STABless Double Edge
>Weakness to Knock Off, but Marowak hates losing it's Thick Club anyway
Its quite an improvement. Makes the original look like a joke.
>>
>>32835716
>Ledyba used Mach Punch
>>
>tfw trading over a RBY cubone with submission and double-edge for rock head A-marowak
>>
>>32835744
Literally why? Low Kick or Bonemerang would be better moves even with Rock Head.
>>
>>32835744
Submission is slightly inferior to Brick Break and maybe even the situational Low Kick. The chance to miss for 5 more BP is not worth it. Double-Edge is ass when you have acess to Ghost+Fighting coverage.
>>
3 immunities and a bunch of useful resistances.
>>
>>32835392
Marowak vs. Alolan Marowak

>Abilities
Marowak: Rock Head, Lightning Rod, Battle Armor

Alolan Marowak: Cursed Body, Lightning Rod, Rock Head

>Movepool
Marowak learns Earthquake, Bonemerang, Rock Slide/Stone Edge, and Thunder Punch. Also Double-Edge is the only move that takes advantage of Rock Head.

Alolan Marowak learns Fire Punch, Bomemerang, Shadow Bone, Brick Break, and Flare Blitz (takes advantage of Rock Head and unlike Double-Edge, it is a STAB)
>>
>>32835743
252+ Atk Choice Band Ledyba Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Raticate-Alola: 168-200 (57.7 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
honestly kill yourself and take your shit meme with you
>>
>>32835520
>lightning rob
anon your whole world is about to be turned upside down
>>
>>32836054
>Ledyba actually needs only 2 mach punches to kill
Huh, I would have assumed a ledyba would need around 3 to 4 mach punches to kill a-raticate, considering it has better bulk than regular raticate.
>>
>>32836789
No see it robs the lightning from others and redirects it you
>>
>>32837001
Have you forgotten A-Raticate's Fighting weakness is a 4x multiplier unlike the base form? Extra bulk means jack shit.
>>
>>32835828
>>32835755
for funsies, obviously.
Same reason for reckless rhyperior or mind reader fissure poliwrath
>>
>>32837641
>Same reason for reckless rhyperior
There is little reason to use any ability outside of Solid Rock. With Solid Rock it laughs at any physical attacker with super effective coverage. Under Grassy Terrain(Grassy Seed for defensive overkill), it can even use Ground types as setup bait. Its ridiculous.

>mind reader fissure poliwrath
Now thats a gimmick worth using. No one would ever see it coming. Nice idea anon.
>>
>>32835743
oh that's a bummer, if it was the original Raticate with its solid defenses it would have definitely survived!
>>
>>32838132
>Under Grassy Terrain(Grassy Seed for defensive overkill), it can even use Ground types as setup bait.

As long as you're ok with using Drill Run as your primary stab
>>
I prefer Fire/Ghost with electric immunity
>>
>>32835392
Rock Head Flare Blitz. My work here is done.
>>
>>32835646
I disagree with them being a mistake. Who in their right mind would use Kanto Marowak or Muk in anything but like NU, but Alolan Marowak and Alolan Muk both have viability in OU, all while having much better designs.

If anything, Alolan Forms are one of the best things to happen in awhile.
>>
File: Knocking on Alola's Door.png (403KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Knocking on Alola's Door.png
403KB, 640x480px
>>32838606
Alolan Forms are new Pokemon in the skins of old ones that lock people out of using both through Species Clause. Instead of buffing them like Gen VI did they just replaced them

It wouldn't have been so bad if the Alolan forms weren't the superior options 90% of the time. The worst part is a huge chunk of them are the exact same but with new types Raichu and Muk come to mind or the ones that did get type changes get better benefits by being dual-typed when the originals were single-typed Ninetales, Sandslash, and Marowak

It's a very sloppily handled mechanic. Similar to Megas where certain Pokemon are only used for the Mega and some aren't because the Mega is garbage
>>
>>32838705
but my point was most of those pokemon weren't going to be used in the higher tiers anyways. If you were using Kanto Muk or Kanto Marowak in OU, it was a joke team that you maybe got 1 win out of 100 with.

These, as you say, reskins, allow for the pokemon to be used in higher tiers, while their original forms can still be used in their original tiers. Pelipper outright can't be used in PU anymore, but you can still use Muk in PU while Alolan Muk is completely viable in OU.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.