[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any one else miss pokemon games being somewhat challenging?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

File: 28810.png (72KB, 860x748px) Image search: [Google]
28810.png
72KB, 860x748px
Any one else miss pokemon games being somewhat challenging?
>>
>>32831624
pokemon games aren't challenging
>>
>>32831624
>just try all the warp panels
>somewhat challenging
Okay anon
>>
>>32831624
they weren't even that challenging, but i will still miss the effort that was put into the older games
>>
File: Cañón_de_Poni.png (1MB, 777x1320px) Image search: [Google]
Cañón_de_Poni.png
1MB, 777x1320px
>>32831632
>just follow the path in a straight line
>just as challenging
>>
>>32831624
Not really a challenge but more battles in one building than any city or route in sun and moon
>>
File: pokemon_victory.gif (33KB, 791x845px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon_victory.gif
33KB, 791x845px
How did we go from this...
>>
File: 1473642708002.png (696KB, 1066x1051px) Image search: [Google]
1473642708002.png
696KB, 1066x1051px
>>32831649
to this?
>>
>>32831649
To this!

I couldn't find a lanikila map anywhere so I had to settle for this hand drawn version
>>
>>32831639
You're right. It's only an aesthetic difference. Fantastic deduction as usual, anon.
>>
How can I miss something that never existed?
>>
>>32831624
No, this map was hard af when I was a kid I gave up and stopped playing the game altogether
>>
>>32831624
Are you sure they didn't just SEEM more challenging because you were perhaps less experienced? I mean, after years of playing what's essentially the same game for years and years, it only makes sense that they're going to feel like a walk in the park. They expect you to "grow up" and leave the franchise. They never intended it to grow with you or increase in difficulty with time.
>>
>>32831765
No. I've replayed red/blue and remakes over the last 18 years more times than I can put a number to, most recently when it came out on VC, and that was STILL harder than any dangeon in SM was the very first go around.

Your meme argument is shit.
>>
>>32831624
you literally can't miss what wasn't there. hau's raichu when you get off that boat was probably the most challenging part of a pokemon game to be honest. and it wasn't challenging.
>>
>>32831639
what game is that ?
>>
>>32831881
Hawlucha was harder and both of these are examples of artificial difficulty. It's not hard or challenging in sense of needing to maneuver through some intense strategizing, it's just that they like to throw a hard hitting FE mon at you at that crucial point in the mid-game where few to none of your own mon are FE and are only struggling for lack of that evolution stat boost. Having to withstand mindless tbolt and psychic stab hits while whittling away at something isn't real 'difficulty'.
>>
>>32831624
>>32831649
>Mazes
>Blocks that need to be pushed onto buttons
These things are not challenging; they are merely tedious.
>>
>>32831873
>argument
It was a genuine question, sheesh. Not everyone in the world is out to start shit or get you, anon.
>>
File: Sky_Pillar_(4F).png (4KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
Sky_Pillar_(4F).png
4KB, 224x224px
>>32831906
This

None of the shut in rby was ever challenging, just annoying

The only challenging thing I ever experienced was sky pillar
You wanna talk about challenging??? Now THAT'S challenging
>>
>>32833002
That was a mess. I hated that thing so much. No words to explain.

(Also, I highly doubt any children can pass through it)
>>
I liked SM but I have to agree, after replaying the genwun VC remakes it's almost disheartening how much they were able to cram into fucking GB games, yet they won't even bother design a decent dungeon for gen 7. It's not that they can't, they just won't. Because people don't like caves anymore, I guess.

I hope USM finally gives us the content-loaded game we've been lacking since post BW2. I want to believe, but the 3DS era so far has been slightly underwhelming, and I think it's a game industry problem rather than a GF problem.
>>
>>32831624
This wasn't challenging. It was just annoying.
>>
Annoyance =/= challenge
>>
>>32831649
>still require strength
So close to being my perfect Victory Road, at least it wasn't as bad as Sinnoh or Hoenn
>>
>>32831751
And here, kids, is someone who will do nothing with their lives because when they're met with options that guarantee they'll get to their goal, they give up.

If this is your role model, just don't, please.
>>
Pokemon was never hard, it's a kids' game through and through. When I was a kid Pokemon Stadium was the hardest shit ever. Not because it was actually hard though, but because I was just a kid. I kept picking shitty Pokemon and forming awful teams and generally did not have optimal decision making skills. I'm an adult now and so it's not a hassle anymore.
>>
>>32833038
:^)
>>
why are you pretending to be multiple people OP?
>>
>>32833002
Never played RSE outside of VBA, so I savestated my way through, but fucking hell that would be a nightmare on an actual cartridge.
>>
>>32833159
Hey newfag. Look down there, the numbers on the bottom right. One of them is the posters count.
>>
>>32833148
Pokémon was never hard, but they used to put more hurdles to overcome in the games. Said hurdles were piss easy like the OP, with occasionally being bullshit like the Sky Pillar example, but at least it was something. Instead of padding the game with places to navigate through, they pad it with cutscenes and a free Lati@s.
>>
>>32833002
I mastered Sky Pillar to such a degree after playing so many times through Emerald on my GBA SP back in the day that, a couple years ago, I could reach Rayquayquay blindfolded.
>>
>>32833173
everyone on /vp/ is the same person newfag, even you aren't really you
>>
>>32833224
No, you aren't me and I'm not your mother. Your father is you.
>>
>>32831649
was the first victoryroad really that small?
I remember it, it was bigger
>>
>>32831630
That's the pathetic part. They used to require at least a kindergartener's level of intelligence and reasoning. XY/SM are just "walk forward on the only path to the next cutscene".
>>
>>32833331
As much as I don't like the cutscene potpourri that was SM, it's preferable to "puzzles" and "dungeons" that offer absolutely no challenge but still require my attention to get past so I can get back to the good part.
>>
>>32833331
>>32833353

There it is folks.Some of us prefer story while others prefer dungeon type stuff. That's pretty much it. It's we have preferences over individual titles in the series and why no one agrees on which games are good and bad.

Can we all go home now and stop making threads like this
>>
>>32831624
you mean grindy and tedious, not challenging. No, I don't miss that.
>>32831906
This.
>>
>all this complaining about "tedium" and "block puzzles" when actually decent places like Dotted Hole, Lost Cave, Turnback Cave, the Regi ruins, and the Ruins of Alph exist
The series really lost its touch after Gen IV.
>>
>>32831624
I don't get this. you can reach the rival in less than 2 minutes, it's not challenging at all.
>>
File: absolutley disgusting.jpg (71KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
absolutley disgusting.jpg
71KB, 600x450px
>there are people that don't want dungeons in an RPG
>>
>>32833179
Emerald Sky Pillar had no holes. You're thinking of RS.
>>
>>32831624
Elevator to Floor 5, fight Rocket Near Teleporter K, take Teleporter K, Go Back through same teleporter, collect key card.
Elevator to floor 3, open left gate, use Teleporter G.
Like >>32834217 said, about 2 minutes. You can also take Teleporter F in the room beside G on floor 3 to get to beds and heal if you manage to fuck up somehow.
>>
>>
>>32836145
>The fact that you don't have to grind to keep your teams levels more balanced means the games are easier.
Nah man, it just means you don't have to grind as much. The AI having lower level mons serves the same purpose of making you not need to grind as much.
I totally agree that Megas, and free shitty legendaries shouldn't happen. I also think the Trainer AI should be better with better move selection, but higher levels does not mean more difficulty, it means more grinding.
>>
>>32831624
Anyone else aware that the game is made for children?
>>
>>32833948
>all optional
:^)
>>
>>32836264
you can always fight them with underleveled mons. It does not mean you have to grind, it just mean that you have to strategize more than just selecting 1 or 2 attacks and the opposing mon faints. Items exist to make the battle more manageable, so players are forced to understand when to use certain items or switch out to survive the battle. Grinding is certainly a possible solution people can take, but that is not the only strategy. Complaining that having underleveled opponents is fine because it removes grinding is no excuse.
>>
>>32836085
Yeah anything takes two minutes when you use a guide or have it memorized. Look at all those steps you listed compared to "follow the path from A to B".
>>
>>32836264
>needing to grind in pokemon games ever

why are people on this board so bad at pokemon?
>>
>>32831624
>Tedium is challenge
If you want winding dungeons, just play Etrian Odyssey or a Megami Tensei game, fuck.
>>
I miss the open ended regions. I'm not even a genwunner, but Kanto was the best in that regard.
>>
I dunno. Doing a Wonderlocke in Moon is challenging as hell. The totem Lurantis took out my entire team.
>>
>>32836489
>The game is hard when you are an autistic retard that doesn't play it properly.
>>
>>32836489
>crippling myself makes things harder
Who knew?
>>
>>32836519
>You are an autistic retard when you add a challenge to a game.
Ok then....
>>
>>32836453
>Having to deviate from a straight line is tedium

If you hate video games, why are you here?
>>
>>32831624
I just miss the effort. I don't really give a rats ass if it's challenging or not, considering that Kirby is one of my favorite video game series ever. I just miss the love, the passion that Gamefreak once had for their child. I could omit most of their flaws and incompetence when they still gave a fuck about Pokemon. It's pretty obvious that they don't currently. I understand after 2 decades of making the games, you're gonna get feel different about them, but at least pretend to try if it comes down to that. If they don't want to put the effort into the series anymore, they frankly should just sell off their rights to someone else.
>>
>>32833002
>back then
>You want your legendary? Well come and get it, if you can, muhahahaha!

>Now
Hey buddy, my name is Legendary the Pokemon. you're just so fan-FUCKING tubular, I cant help but be amazed! Is that an empty pokeball? Well don't mind if I dang dooly do!
>>
>>32836698
>No effort in the games
>Making specific 3D models, animations and scenery. Popular competitive scene, more competitions than ever. Constantly updating the trading card game and spin-offs. Continuing the anime.
Pick one.
>>
>>32831906
>platformers aren't hard, it's just memorizing the timing for inputs, that's just tedious

You sound like a casual faggot.
>>
>alternate dimension area in 2009
>it's a huge puzzle area with mind boggling camera angles and interesting progression

>alternate dimension area in 2016
>it's a fucking black hallway
>>
>>32836303
love this excuse. Mario is also for children. Never stopped Star Road or The Perfect Run, or Champions Road from kicking people's asses. Also didn't stop New Super Luigi U from being released, which is pretty much a "hard mode mod" for New Super Mario Bros U.
>>
>>32836549
you are an autistic retard if you have to arbitraly restrict yourself and limit your options that aren't even in the game and then have the gall to call the game "challenging". If you do that, then literally every game is challenging by your definition.

"oh man Sonic Adventure is so challenging if I avoid every optional ring, never press the jump button and then reset a level every time I get hit!"
>>
>>32836741
>implying the 3D models were hard to make when Gamefreak had multiple bases to take from considering that Gamefreak's first 3D pokemon game came out over 10 years after the first 3D pokemon game in the first place.

>the animations are shit for 95% of the pokes, with most of them having barely any motion. The only one that put effort in it is Hitmontop's idle animation.

>the competitive scene was already establishd since the beginning

>gamefreak doesn't handle the trading card game
>neither do they handle the anime. speaking of the anime, putting in effort in that 22 minute weekly advertisement would be to have a story and characters worth a damn and have them go through meaningful and unique character development
>>
>>32836857
>Doing a wonderlocke in Moon is challenging as hell
He said that the wonderlocke is challenging, not the fucking game. That doesnt make him an autistic retard, it makes him right.
"Oh man this game is so hard if you set the difficulty to hard"
>>
>>32836922
obviously a game is hard if you set the difficutly to hard because its within the coding of the game., which means it was meant to be picked.
Wonderlocking, or Nuzlocking in general is not set within the coding of any mainline pokemon game. No one cares if he's talking about arbitrary self-restriction, we're talking about the merits of the game itself. There's nothing wrong with setting self-restrictions because people have been doing that since the dawn of time, but like I said, we're not talking about that.
>>
>>32836922
>"Oh man this game is so hard if you set the difficulty to hard"

A difficulty mode the devs intentionally designed and balanced the game around isn't the same thing as a player choosing to shoot themselves in the foot until the game happens to be hard.

>how to do difficulty levels right
Casual mode in Fire Emblem, showed explicitly right at the start of the game

>how to do difficulty levels wrong
"uuuuh the exp share is actually a secret difficulty toggle guys! r-really!"
>>
>>32836949
>There's nothing wrong with setting self-restrictions
>Calls someone an autistic retard
>>
>>32836992
>you are an autistic retard if you have to arbitraly restrict yourself and limit your options that aren't even in the game and then have the gall to call the game "challenging".
>and then have the gall to call the game challenging
>>
>>32836437
I still clear it in very little time. All I need to remember is that only the odd numbered floors are worth bothering with via the elevator, even numbered floors are pointless
>>
>>32836033
It did, just not when you had to go through it storywise.
>>
>>32836989
>you're not allowed to make your own fun, you HAVE to follow the rules
>>
>>32836906
I still miss Sabeleye's Colosseum animations
>>
>>32837006
You still need to explore and navigate the place to even learn and remember that.

Why does /vp/ hate jrpgs?
>>
>>32836906
>hundreds of original high poly models don't take effort because other 3d games existed
>these animations don't count because I don't like them
okay kid
>>
>>32837601
Effort in graphics isn't effort in game design
>>
>>32837601
yeah, other 3D games that already had over half the pokemon as 3D models. They already had gens 1-5 as 3D models so they only really to make Gen 6 at that time when they first made a 3D pokemon game. All they really did for Gen 1-5 pokemon is just polish them up a bit and and some more polygons to the mons that needed them, like the Gen 1, 2 and a good chunk of Gen 5 mons. Also, their future-proofing of the models decreased the quality of the games due tot he 3DS being a piece of shit hardware wise and barely being able to handle them. Hell, the models GOT RID of two alternate game styles. Also, sprites take a hell of a lot mroe effort than 3D models and Gamefreak had to make new sprites for every generation. They even sometimes made new sprites for some the 3rd versions.
>>
>>32837601
they put effort into the models and animations because they're gonna be using them for the next ten years

gen 6+ have so far been nothing but shallow, soulless cash-ins. just look at all the genwun pandering, they know that's what makes them the most money for the least effort
>>
>>32837616
Yes it is you twat. Go play a pokemon game with each pokemon being a single, coloured pixel with no characters.
>>
>>32836384
Ah, yes Optional content. Something that modern pokemon barely has
>>
>>32831624
>Implying that grinding is hard
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.