[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we agree Pokémon is a shit series?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

File: team shit.png (34KB, 678x418px) Image search: [Google]
team shit.png
34KB, 678x418px
Can we agree Pokémon is a shit series?
>>
Good series, shit games.
>>
File: 1496166029376.png (4MB, 4552x3712px)
1496166029376.png
4MB, 4552x3712px
It didn't have to be a shit series. But Gamefreak are, at the end of the day, a bunch of amateur devs who just happened to get lucky and so produce nothing but milquetoast games that can't catch up to the times.

Plus the Mons genre was already done earlier and better by SMT
>>
>>32812350
lol whut? do you like the anime and is 10+? are you retarded
>>
>>32812358
This, Red and Blue were a great starting point, but every game since has been almost literally a rehash.

Which wouldn't be THAT bad if GF would fucking hire more people, the level of technological ineptitude in these games is unacceptable relative to how ungodly successful the series is.

X and Y's performance was just embarrassing, and I love how GF try to excuse the fact that you can't take Miiverse screenshots in their games by saying "oh well we don't want people spoiling things!"
>>
>>32812340
yeah, duh
>>
>>32812358
Ironic how SMT4 is used as the ideal when it's the game that marked the beginning of the end for the mainline games
>>
>>32812340
Yes and I fucking hate Gamefreak
>>
>>32812340
No. If it was, we wouldn't even be here in /vp/ and I couldn't tell you to fuck off.
>>
>>32812358
>you can't defeat bosses just by spamming attacks they're weak too

Literally just Bufu Minotaur the whole way and won. 4 turns of Bufu, and 4 more turns of bufu and you win.
>>
>>32812661
>the beginning of the end
I don't play SMT but isn't IV the most recent game? How do you know it won't get better?
>>
>smt is good
I guess /v/ never left after the Pokken/USUM reveal
>>
>>32813113
SMT is unquestionably better than Pokemon. In story, gameplay, pacing, and performance. Pokemon just can't catch up with modern gaming standards.

The only thing that makes Pokemon stand out is the multiplayer, and there are far better, more skill-based competitive games. Smogon tournaments are a JOKE (you can see why they're such a circlejerk, because there's no skill to judge people by at all) and the official formats are even worse.
>>
>>32812340
>antifa.png
>>
>SMT other than II
>good
>>
>>32812340
No, but it has a lot of untapped potential they won't explode because it's too risky.
>>
>>32812661
>beginning of the End
>FINAL/Apocalypse
>Deep Strange Journey
>SMT game coming out on switch
???
>>
File: 12.png (90KB, 600x600px)
12.png
90KB, 600x600px
>>32813142
>modern gaming standards
"Modern gaming standards" are part of why the recent Pokémon games are worse than the ones from 5+ years ago, since casuals hate even the tiniest chance of something being hard (not that Pokémon has ever been a difficult series in the first place) and Game Freak has been casualizing the games more and more as a result.
>>
>>32813211
And yet they can't hold up basic ones like "make the framerate run at a measly but consistent 30fps".
>>
>>32813247
I would personally hold the lackluster and casualized content/gameplay as a bigger priority than aesthetics. I care less about the shitty framerate than I do the fact that the shitty framerate led to them cutting out triple/rotation battles.
>>
This whole thread makes me wonder, why do we even like pokemon? why did it get as popular as it did? was it just luck? was gamefreak just at the right place and at the right time? how can what is seemingly an incompetent monster game (when compared to the alternatives) develop to become one of the biggest mainstream game franchises? is its success mantained in older fans coming back every gen, or are there actual young kids nowadays that get genuinely invested a-new in pokemon? is pokemon really gonna live forever?

>inb4 (You) or bait
I'm genuinely asking. The only question I can answer is that I like pokemon because I like the creatures themselves, but I'm interested on people's opinions on the rest.
>>
>>32813267
I like the Pokemon and that's it.
>>
>>32813086
Good luck with Beelzebub.
I still have PTSD.
>>
>>32813267
Definitely the right place at the right time.
>>
Every time I say I'm done with pokemon.

I go ahead and listen to diamond and pearl ost.

The emotions and feelings something you can't duplicste.

Pokemon is so easy to love. The designs are so charming.

Rec and blue sold 30-40 million copies.

Pokemon go had 500 million download. People never touched the games or anime. Found interest in these pocket monsters
>>
>>32812340
Nope. Pokémon is one of the best role-playing video games in the World.
>>
It's amazing how gamefreak can make a master piece like platnium and then make a shitty game like black/white. So inconsistent.
>>
>>32812434
He likes the world of pokemon, but not the limited way its expressed in the games; I admit I feel the same way
>>
I've never hated a pokemon game. Ive never hated a pokemon. I like the games. Plus they are only like 40 bucks. Like how fucking poor do you have to be to not buy a 40 dollar game once a year.
>>
File: Red SM.jpg (30KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Red SM.jpg
30KB, 640x360px
It's a social game. The original marketing point of the game is to trade and battle with other people, and every installment (except arguably RS, due to its lack of backwards compatibility) has been expanding on it and improving on these aspects. RS has multi battles, which lets 4 players battle with each other, DP has Wi-Fi friend battles and trading and can connect to PBR for random battles. BW has random online battling ingame and a new trading system (GTS Negotiations) to spontaneously trade any Pokemon with another person. XY takes this and makes it much more convenient with the PSS, better breeding so more people can battle seriously, and Wonder Trading. SM creates Battle Royales so that 4 people can play without having to cooperate.

It's clear that GF's focusing on multiplayer in this series. However, places like /vp/ seem to only focus on single player in Pokemon, and only a handful of games in the series fill that niche, like BW2. The side series games are a lot better in a single player regard, and other series also pull off monster catching/using better in a single player aspect. Pokemon's best aspect is in being able to connect with other people and play with each other instead of doing things alone.
>>
>>32813479
What's with the new-ish trend where rabid fans of something claim that anyone who doesn't like that something is just poor, and that they only dislike it for sour grapes reasons? This shit is getting really old.
>>
>>32813496
It's started when the people who hate on everything regardless of quality started calling people who like something rabid fans
>>
>>32813267
I personally always enjoyed taking a team of faggots and raising them to be buff faggots.
>>
>>32813496
It's the new "you're just a hater" type of argument. It probably started with people flat out saying they won't buy their products any more or something to that extent, and people using that to claim they're poor, when in reality it's not at all about being rich or poor. Are people somehow poor because they don't want to buy a music album they think sounds like shit, or watch a bad movie sequel?
>>
>>32813428
kek, nice joke.
>>
Unlike series that choose to grow with the audience, Pokemon is still aimed at kids who were your age when you first started. Older fans are a secondary audience who generally eat up whatever is thrown their way, so there's no reason to appeal to people who want more complex games.
>>
>>32813868
If gamefreaks grew up with there audience. Alot of people wouldn't have got to experience the games
>>
>>32813902
There are series intended for kids that older fans can enjoy, you know. Kirby is just as much for kids as it was in 1992 and people of all ages love its games. Even when Kirby has a game that's not as good as previous ones it pretty much never releases a stinker like Pokémon's been doing.
>>
>>32813489
Even then the postgame/single player in most of the games are total garbage. Everything can either be boiled down to Contests which were bad since its conception, skewed RNG battle facilities that can be cheesed with ease, the shitty fucking Pokeathlon and VN trash Looker quests. BW2 were the only games with a good single player.
>>
>>32813960
Yeah but those games don't sell as much.
>>
>>32813974
Not sure what sales have to do with anything.
>>
>>32813868

But there's no reason to make them even easier over time like recently.
>>
>>32813987
Then pay closer attention.
The entire reason why GF keeps Pokemon in status quo, opting to appeal to children rather than a wider audience is because it sells the games. Kirby is a niche series in comparison.
>>
>>32813868
Except there's a whole library of games made for small kids that aren't shit like SM and ORAS. Like all the other Pokemon games. There's absolutely no excuse.
>>
File: 1452491568710.jpg (16KB, 348x342px) Image search: [Google]
1452491568710.jpg
16KB, 348x342px
>>32814022
>appearing to a wider audience makes something more niche
Are you drunk anon
>>
File: hail.jpg (608KB, 669x936px) Image search: [Google]
hail.jpg
608KB, 669x936px
>tfw to intelligent for Pokemon
>>
>>32814073
Oras was good
>>
>>32814251
no
>>
>>32812358
>monster designs are creative and wicked
Bad idea to use SMTIV as the example tbqh, the guess artists designs are so fucking bad with a few exceptions.
>>
>>32813253
>introduce triple/rotation battles
>remove them

Fucking why?
>>
File: 1402526890889.jpg (17KB, 260x384px) Image search: [Google]
1402526890889.jpg
17KB, 260x384px
>>32814251
The hell it was.
>>
>>32812358
>game for children is designed for children
>this is bad for some reason
>>
>>32816090
I want a bit more from the series too.
at least there is still SMT.
>>
>>32816090
Pokemon gen 1 - Gen 5 was designed for children
SM was designed for toddlers with the amount of hand holding it had and all the happy bullshit it had. Atleast gen one had a mention of death with the whole cubone's mother plot line. Am not saying pokemon should be edgy, but even in kids shows/games the protag is not happy go lucky 24/7 that is sesame tier shit.

For some reason everything is going this route. My old elemantary school logo was a lion face, and know the lion looks like he came out of some show designed for 3 year olds. a kids mind is not that soft
>>
>>32813267
Mostly dumb luck, partially having inklings of a great story just under the surface giving older fans hope, partly bright designs and being designed for kids allowing them to get new fans rapidly (this point being taken advantage of by Youkai Watch), and partially being a massive autism trap
>>
>>32812340

pokemon as an idea of the world is ok

but the games are different story, I can't wait for the switch game so maybe we will be able to explore more to have an actual fucking adventure, we definitely need to get rid of evil team bullshit, they should be able to ignore until we decide to hunt main legendary
>>
>>32812358
I like SMT, but that assessment of difficulty isn't right. You can roflstomp SMT 4 if you know to use buffs. Literally the only hard parts are David and Minotaur. The rest is disappointingly easy.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.