[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokémon Fanfiction General and Writethread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 60

File: 1494872953115.jpg (1MB, 1100x744px) Image search: [Google]
1494872953115.jpg
1MB, 1100x744px
/vpwt/: Pimpchop edition

>Post your finds and ideas for prompts.
>Share your work and request critique.
>Discuss the struggle as a reader or writer.
IRC channel at [ #vpwritethread on irc.rizon.net ].

Previous: >>32710047

Fic catalogue:
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PtN4D_9CSw8JJ9uO6v0oQqdtKEkS8aFAvfxqI96XfSE/edit?usp=sharing

Authors and anons looking for things to write may search our ideabin for something appealing.
Feel free to add prompts that you'd like others to consider.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X072SSWulcC6RJRrPA6v9XtyohRybvMBl6Fh49wHsRw

FAQ:
>How do I post fics?
Link to Pastebin, FFN, AO3, or G-Docs, etc. Don't write stories to the thread itself.

>NSFW fics?
Indicate "NSFW" beside the link.

>May I add my fic to the catalogue?
You're free to do so. Please use the submission form found inside the catalog.

>What's with the tripfags?
Authors are encouraged to use a name/trip while posting or discussing their work for clarity's sake.

TotT: How well do you balance humor in your writing, if at all? What stories do you think uses it effectively?
>>
File: tmp_22145-e77595704124.png (198KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_22145-e77595704124.png
198KB, 800x800px
Stop giving the Trainers full teams, you can't handle it. Give them up to THREE well developed Pokemon that are characters in their own right.

Dye and make-up have existed with us for thousands of years. Make all the Pokemon Technicolor.

Every team , including the Main Character's, should have a theme. You don't have to tell us what that theme is, it just has to be there.

It's fine to tell and not show. If you think you're taking too long to show something minor, you probably are.

>Answer to inevitable question about "I don't know where to start my fanfiction?"
Skip to an exciting part. THE Battle, the soap opera betrayal, where they fall into a well

>Answer to inevitable question about "I don't know what to write about!"
The MC's home has burned down. They need to spend a week in the woods with their Pokemon.

>Answer to destined questions "That's still too much!"
After a week of camping to get away from their internet addiction, the MAC comes back to society and has to give the Pokemon a bath. How does he react when they don't want one, are on fire, are intangible, are mental projections, squeak and emote in ways that make everyone uncomfortable.
>>
I'm writing about a smart kid that wants to be the best, and he starts in an OC region full of OC Pokemon. I've made his team competitive while also being something a nerdy 10-year-old would consider as cool as possible, and it doesn't have any legendaries, chosen one BS, super-eevees, etc. Battles will be smart and tactical, but not unrealistically, random kindergarteners won't have Smogon-recommended Pokemon and movelists.

However... This OC region is going to have OC pokemon, plus some mons from other region justified by region location, immigration, etc.

Is it alright to put OC Pokemon on my trainer's team? Will its goal, "A smart Pokemon fanfic with a smart protagonist", still be achieved if there are OCs on his team with whatever moves, stats, and abilities I want?
>>
>>32794419
1. It's fine.

2. Just say in the notes that it is inspired by stuff like Pokemon Clover and Sage.

3. Make photoblogging his hobby. It justifies you taking a paragraph to describe an OC

I do have to ask the question of: Why OCs and not established 'Mons?
>>
>>32794419
Usually there is a balance between making OCs and using already made things. Honestly if you're making your own Pokemon with your own characters and with your own region, you'd be best off making your own original story, replacing Pokemon with whatever other creature name to mean the same thing
>>
>>32794419
Using fakemon is a risky move to say the least. You're going to turn some people away with that alone.

You also lose one of the advantages of Pokémon fanfiction, that is the ability to use weird creatures with strange powers without having to establish what those creatures generally look like and what they can/can't do.
>>
>>32794419
If by "OC pokemon" you mean fakemon, you're going to be facing a few self-imposed challenges.
• Creating a dex's worth of reasonably interesting, balanced, varied, and worth-the-effort fakemon; and then communicating them all to the reader without it becoming infodumping.
• Making a clear argument for why you needed to create a hundred more fakemon when you have about five gross pokemon to work with already.
• Avoiding developing these fakemon's capabilities in response to your story's developments, which can lead to Mary Sue smell.

And if you're able to do all of that work right and easily, you could go with an original fiction that's just pokemon-like, publish, and show is photographs of the mad cash stacks you rake in.
>>
>>32794472
>And if you're able to do all of that work right and easily, you could go with an original fiction that's just pokemon-like, publish, and show is photographs of the mad cash stacks you rake in.
Can confirm this is true. Just take !Pokemon but set it in Ancient or Futuristic _______________ and watch as the Hollywood offers come in.
>>
Any SFW requests you guys have for stories?
>>
File: 1496760903494.png (84KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
1496760903494.png
84KB, 440x440px
>>32795626
Something about Kabutops or Sableye. Love those two and almost no one ever writes of them.
>>
>>32795626
Do crossovers interest you?
>>
File: 1477493574741.jpg (19KB, 361x361px) Image search: [Google]
1477493574741.jpg
19KB, 361x361px
>>32794256
I used to write Humor actually, and quite a lot of it, but for the last couple of years, most instances of humor are just short comments, one-off remarks, or the odd situation. Writing a piece of prose in the genre Serious Subjects For Serious Readers™ means that humor is generally used to help cut tension in scenes where I feel that things have gotten just a tad bit heavy (see: Ignace's turtwig comment in Ch.9 of ACPC after the entirety of Ch.8's tension building) or when I feel that the humor would be well timed (can't come up with an example off the top of my head at the moment.)

This helps keep humor at a pretty reasonable level: short, single sentence bursts of levity that break up tension when I feel that I don't need to keep mounting it. Balancing humor is a good thing to do - it keeps the characters feeling three-dimensional and establishes boundaries and world views for each character that's present. Some people have very dark senses of humor and others have rather bright ones, and that's an important thing to know as it helps inform how their responses to heavy situations will play out.
>>
For a year or so I have the wish to buy a fanfiction about Zinnia, but I can't think of any plot.
>>
When I've finished my fic/chapter 1 of my fic, where should I put it? Where should I advertise it?

Here? Marilland? Serebii? Reddit?
>>
>>32795974
>How do I post fics?
Link to Pastebin, FFN, AO3, or G-Docs, etc. Don't write stories to the thread itself.
t. OP
>>
>>32796003
Try again.

When I've finished my fic, where should I put it? You know, where do I advertise it?

ADVERTISE.

It's going on FF.Net and AO3. Where do I advertise it?
>>
>>32796181
Why are you fucking asking us? We don't care if you don't advertise it at all, even here. Put your story here or don't

stay away from the spacebattles fanfic thread though unless it's an Ashnime fanfic specifically; they're pretty narrow-minded
>>
>>32794419
>a smart kid that wants to be the best
I want to read about a real person, not a cartoon character
>OC region
okay I guess
>OC pokemon
absolutely not
>>
>>32794326
>Stop giving the Trainers full teams, you can't handle it. Give them up to THREE well developed Pokemon that are characters in their own right.
Have you ever encountered stories that CAN handle it? I'm actually curious to see if anyone's pulled it off.

>Dye and make-up have existed with us for thousands of years. Make all the Pokemon Technicolor.
Kind of retarded m8.

>Every team , including the Main Character's, should have a theme. You don't have to tell us what that theme is, it just has to be there.
The theme is "I like these pokemon and I wanted to write about them"

>It's fine to tell and not show. If you think you're taking too long to show something minor, you probably are.
Agree. Balancing showing and telling is key.
>>
>>32794326
>up to THREE (3) (tres) (Ⅲ)
I kinda sorta am working with that - each Trainer has three "main", well developed mons, and the other three on-hand are part of a rotating cast, assuming the Trainer can have that many Pokémon in the first place (Aces, Gym Leaders, etc).

>Pokémon Technicolor
Where is that image edit of PKSMD cover with all the mons made OCs when I need it?

>theme
Am mostly with >>32796454 -- up to what the setting allows the Trainers to train, the teams are "what I'd like them to have", for the most part.

>tell not show is OK
This so much.

>>32794419
>OC region
A usually always welcome kind of thing. Personally I like the OC regions that are basically "totally not this real world place but with shades of this nother place AND POKÉMON!" stuff. Feels like better integrated with the overall feels of the franchise.

>OC Pokémon
Aka fakémon. A though cookie. I've so far strayed away from it, but I keep a worldbuilding hook open to have fakémon available juuuust because. They're very difficult to design sensibly, and the problem that you'd have to resort to artwork unless you want to spend lots of material (in-series or sidelines) describing them does not really help issues.

Also muh "but balance!".

>>32795626
A Fearow or similar mon that learns Mirror Move by level up trying to teach a younger member of their species, and having to try t come up with more and more exasperated bullshit because really, how does it even work.
>>
File: 20-Chumpion052.png (4KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
20-Chumpion052.png
4KB, 320x288px
>>32794326
Wow—can this post be any more wrong?

>Dye and make-up have existed with us for thousands of years. Make all the Pokemon Technicolor.

No comment.

>Every team , including the Main Character's, should have a theme. You don't have to tell us what that theme is, it just has to be there.

Why, though? To what benefit to the story is there in doing so?

>It's fine to tell and not show. If you think you're taking too long to show something minor, you probably are.

I hope writing is just a hobby for you.

>Skip to an exciting part. THE Battle, the soap opera betrayal, where they fall into a well
Just because Star Wars did it, doesn't mean you have to rip it off. A slow open is much easier to write for.
>Answer to inevitable question about "I don't know what to write about!"
The MC's home has burned down. They need to spend a week in the woods with their Pokemon.

But that's not a story, just an inciting incident.

>After a week of camping to get away from their internet addiction, the MAC comes back to society and has to give the Pokemon a bath. How does he react when they don't want one, are on fire, are intangible, are mental projections, squeak and emote in ways that make everyone uncomfortable.

Someone should trace this man's I.P., and then call an ambulance, because I think he's had a brain stroke.
>>
File: 63197163_p0.jpg (300KB, 1413x2000px) Image search: [Google]
63197163_p0.jpg
300KB, 1413x2000px
I'm planning a story about a young couple starting up a small and "fresh" restaurant/bar mostly based around homegrown fruits and berries from their Tropius and Shuckles.

Now my problem is that I don't really know how I should tackle the whole Pokemon as food issue. I think it might be weird to completly ignore Pokemon meat but on the other hand I worry that it'd make the story too dark since I was going for a more comfy mood.

I'll probably make it a vegetarian place since it fits with the hipster-ish feel I want it to have but I wanted to hear your thoughts on the topic.

Pokemon for food in a story about a restaurant, y/n?
>>
>>32798191
>I don't really know how I should tackle the whole Pokemon as food issue.
There's no correct answer because it depends on how you envision a pokemon world, its food chain and ecosystem, and the role of humans and pokemon in each other's form of society.

I would discover how by writing the story, accepting that if it goes dark it goes dark. And possibly erases my entire reader base, as E/V already did when it fulfilled its destiny.
>>
>>32798313
I haven't followed the memes here. What happened?
>>
>>32798191
There are a few choices here. You can go with the idea that there are pokemon, and then there are animals. Just like not every tree, rock, or blade of grass is a pokemon, perhaps not every animal is either. There are some controversial pokedex entries in regards to this.
On top of that, many pokemon have species names that reference animals. How can Pikachu be 'the electric mouse' pokemon if there are no mice to reference?
>>
Any good stories about what happens to Ash's pokemon when he lets them go? Specifically Lapras but any will do.
>>
>>32798447
he made a heartwarming story about a father and son and then killed one of him. he's spent the past few months bitching that the ending made people sad as if that wasn't the whole point of the story.
>>
I require recommendations of human on Pokemon romance with actual plot and relationship development!
>>
Good news. Imposing strict deadlines is a cure for getting stuck.

The last full chapter (23) of Radiant Heart and Gift of the Protector series:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10121590/23/Gift-of-the-Protector-Radiant-Heart

I finally updated the Ao3 mirror, so both platforms are current if you prefer to read using site or the other.

>https://archiveofourown.org/works/7994962/chapters/25094091

An Epilogue will follow and that's a wrap for the series. On to the next story, Heavens Slice.
>>
>>32798542
Eventually re-caught, boxed, and lost when the battery dies.

>>32798596
>bitching
I'm just sharing my experience as it applies here—that if he avoids edible pokemon, he might not be able to go where he wants to; if he emphasizes it, some readers may skip the story; and if he foreshadows it three ways but saves it for the third act, the would've-skipped-its will take it personally—so that Anon may choose knowingly.

>the whole point of the story
Well, the point isn't in loss, but in recognizing and making the most of what time we have, understanding that things can change without warning. My disappointment in myself is that it doesn't seem like my intended motif emerged clearly before it overshadowed itself. I don't think the poetic moments were well-received, either, even though I enjoyed the challenge in forging them.

>heartwarming
I don't think that adjective's ever been applied to (even but a portion of) any of my writing. *makes a note of it*
>>
>>32798772
>Eventually re-caught, boxed, and lost when the battery dies.
That's sad in its own odd way.
I really wish I could x-fer my gen 1 and 2 mons.
>>
>>32798793
There's a video of the guy who does History of the Power Rangers videos bringing over his Pokemon Yellow Pikachu.
>>
>>32798793
There's gotta be a way to hack something together to bridge the gap. Technology is incredible. Maybe an Raspberry Pi or Arduino project?
>>
>>32798864
I think if you have a cart dumper, then if you extract the .sav, then inject it into a virtual console version of the game in question, you could do it.
>>
>>32798893
That brings up a more complicated issue. Obviously, synthetic pokemon like those created by smogonfriends have no souls, either. So, dumping a copy of the data too would be generating a facsimile, but your pokemon's soul(s) remain behind. We must create a device that both the sending and receiving device will recognize and communicate normally with, a conduit so your pokemon truly migrates through—suffering necessary adaptation such as the sixth bit in IV's, 255/510 EV caps, gender bits calculation, etc.—not becomes merely a template for some body-snatcher simulacrum.
>>
File: pokebank.png (810KB, 880x554px) Image search: [Google]
pokebank.png
810KB, 880x554px
>>32798992
But all of the cross-gen transfer methods are one way. It's just like if you were 'teleported' by having an exact copy of you appear at a fixed spot and having your current body subsequently destroyed.
POKEBANK KILLS
>>
>>32794326
Wha-?, NO!, you could've said,
>''A good idea for making the pokemon unique would be giving them an accessory or a distinctive mark/characteristic, such as, it has a white patch of fur on it's right paw, it wears a hat or it's eyes always look like it feel sleepy''
Instead you're telling us that it's ok to write
>''MY ABSOL'S FUR IS BLACK AND RED!''
Terrible advice...

Are you confusing ''theme'' with ''objective''?, if so, then i agree, having them have a goal is always good as it gives something to look forward and get excited.
>>
File: secondchances.jpg (12KB, 270x203px) Image search: [Google]
secondchances.jpg
12KB, 270x203px
>>32799017
>having your current body subsequently destroyed
Unless the transporter beam partially reflects against an atmospheric anomaly.
>riker related

Thanks to quantum entanglement, bi-location isn't the problem, but rather, ensuring that the soul collapses into the body that isn't slated for recycling.
>>
>>32799109
I'm sure they're too lazy to worry about such things. This is the same company that approves of grinding up pokemon into evolution 'candy' after all,
>>
File: 024.jpg (113KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
024.jpg
113KB, 800x600px
>>32799135
>grinding up pokemon
I thought it was more of an experience extraction and rendering sort of thing.
>>
>>32799233
Nah, I mean the pokemon go version of candy.
>it's okay little timmy, just hand over that rat and I'll give you some special candy to evolve your next one :)
>>
>>32799408
I'm unfamiliar. All I know of Go is that it ever so briefly served us as an instrument of Darwin.
>>
So I just started writing this week. I started this little number a few hours ago. I'm basically just going to write about my character and his Pokemon spending the day at the park. Sort of like a quick little get to know them type deal. Really it's just to prove to myself I CAN write something instead or just saying I will and never doing it. It's only partway done, but I think there's enough there for you guys to judge me harshly. Ah well.

https://pastebin.com/28cSPKep
>>
>>32799847
>https://pastebin.com/28cSPKep

A fine first effort. I suggest dropping the one-space indention and going with standard memo-format (no indention, double-spaced paragraphs). Only a few paragraphs are long and consecutive to the point that indention could help if left single-spaced.

Assorted typos: Can, Cam; sir, air; main of air/mane of hair.

You've chosen to narrate strongly, but what you're narrating is out of focus. You're getting purple with re-explaining the Pokemon 101 material, describing your protagonist as a generic representative of trainers in general, and once you get focused on the characters it becomes micro-vignettes which establish some personality for these characters but there is no plot arc to support or to unify the material.

Given your pokemon selections—gardevoir and nocturnal lycanroc—and your even pointing out the latter's stance issue, this could be an easy setup for a statement on pokemon behavior, phenotype, and how they are handled by their trainers. I.e., does Gardevoir fumble the ice cream because it melted or because of a lack of dexterity due to broad palms and stubby digits? Does Lycanroc's evolution cause it to want to live more like Cam and Gardevoir do now that it shares their stance, or is it comfortable being whatever it is, perhaps even pining for the good old days?

You've got a day at the park, but what makes this an interesting day at the park?
>>
>>32798191
I think if you're already going to have a focus on berries and fruit, you may as well roll with the vegetarian theme all the way, so you can avoid running into potentially tough questions about humans eating Pokemon. Unless you feel up to the task of tackling such a topic, that is.

>>32798517
>How can Pikachu be 'the electric mouse' pokemon if there are no mice to reference?
There actually are mice, though: Pikachu is a mouse. It says so right on the dex entry, as you pointed out.
At least, that's how I see it. I imagine there is no one creature known as "mouse" in the Pokemon world, but rather, the word is a sort of blanket term to describe a Pokemon with certain traits, just like how the word "mouse" in real life refers to multiple species that are all similar. But that's just my headcanon.

>>32798708
>human on Pokemon romance
Oh, there are plenty of those.
>with actual plot and relationship development!
...Sorry, I can't help you there.
>>
>>32800080
Well, if we take all of the pokemon with 'mouse' in the species name, we get:
>the pikachu family
>cyndaquil (quilava and typhlosion turn into 'volcanoes')
>marill (azumarill turns into a rabbit though)
>rattata line
>sandshrew/sandslash (???)
>fucking bidoof
There's not much they have in common, short of them being quadruped mammals. Later gens get much more vague with the species names, but it's still a little odd.
>>
File: 1473596000952.gif (202KB, 500x404px) Image search: [Google]
1473596000952.gif
202KB, 500x404px
>>32794256
The 17 Hour Late Fic Recap; if I miss any then yell at me because I've never done one.

Manifest Destiny, Chapter 15 of [The Dark Type], "Leverage Lost":
http://archiveofourown.org/works/9113758/chapters/24874698

StrikeFlash, Chapter 14 of Flash Platinum:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12024240/14/Pokemon-Flash-Platinum

CyanSpark, Chapter 6 of Donker Samenleving:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/9861455/chapters/24891729
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12359877/6/Donker-Samenleving

traipsingexodus, Chapter 9 of Au Coup Par Coup:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/7262536/chapters/24942630
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12009986/9/Au-Coup-Par-Coup

Birdboy, Rockruff's Entry in his Pokedex series:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6161819/744/Pokedex

ManifestDestiny, [Vines of Deceit] Chapter 7 "Stretch Your Legs": http://archiveofourown.org/works/9294437/chapters/25049565

Campain [sic], Primarina/Trainer, NSFW:
https://pastebin.com/BTm4S619

Mimiga, The Marriage of Mew:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/7771954/chapters/25049544

There were other works posted last thread but they're gone now. So it goes, so it goes.
>>
File: Ee4ee_failed_to_update.png (28KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Ee4ee_failed_to_update.png
28KB, 250x250px
My writing isn't nearly good enough to make people wait so long for it.

Not that I'm spending my time idly! I'm going back through some of my favorite shit, taking notes on good characters. Not the same genre or tone, but the basics of good writing are universal. Hopefully I can make it count

Remember fellow writefags; if you want to create stories, your first job and greatest need is to consume stories!
>>
>>32800373
>My writing isn't nearly good enough to make people wait so long for it.
Isn't that why instead of queuing up they use website features that signal them whenever you finally get around to releasing something?
>>
>>32800373
Is real life a consumable story?
>>
>>32801493
Yes, but its poorly written and there are to many goddamn commies.
>>
>>32801853
Also, unskippable cutscenes and they never re-run the good episodes.
>>
>>32799950
I wrote like that once, the double spacing instead of indenting. It just didn't.. feel right to me. But since I do about 80% of my writing on a phone, I don't have the luxury of a tab key to indent with. Typos are another issue related with writing on a phone, I'll try to double check my spelling more often.

I don't know what getting purple means? Sometimes I feel like I over explain things, like, I feel like 'oh, everyone already knows what this Pokemon is like', but then again, I don't want to be like 'he had x pokemon' and leave it at that. I'd rather go into too much detail over the little things than none at all, I guess. And I'm not really trying flesh out my character too much at the moment so I guess leaving him as ye old generic trainer is ok. For now. I'll be sure to give him a little more life in the future.

Gardevoir dropped her ice cream because it melted, but who knows, maybe I'll turn her into an fumblecakes. And Lycanrock is just a lazy ass prick. She doesn't pine for shit lol.

It's a work in progress, but I still appreciate the input. It's better to get this kind of stuff now, instead of waiting until I've finished the whole thing and not be able to actual put any critique to good use. Thanks, anon.

>>32800335
Heeeey, my smut's on the list lol!
>>
File: 1492611110369.png (244KB, 1080x780px) Image search: [Google]
1492611110369.png
244KB, 1080x780px
>think I'm gonna finish a chapter
>open document
>suddenly, inspiration strikes
>open a new document and type concept for a completely different story
>>
>>32802518
That's it. You're officially a writer.
>>
>>32802182
>I wrote like that once, the double spacing instead of indenting. It just didn't.. feel right to me.
I had all kinds of bad habits and breaking them didn't feel right, but later I wondered how I lived that way.

>But since I do about 80% of my writing on a phone, I don't have the luxury of a tab key to indent with.
Don't indent. Stop indenting. Intention is neither necessary nor useful. When laying out for print and desirous of indentions, use the word processor's feature-set to establish indention and margins, not the tabulation character which is for dividing data fields nor spaces which may be treated as suggestions by moronic document standards such as HTML. (srsly '\t' gtfo)

>I don't know what getting purple means?
I refer to "purple prose," which describes narration that becomes melodramatic, overly descriptive, and/or faux-poetic. When reading the sentence feels to the reader to be more about reading the sentence than learning what message it should be conveying, it's time to dial it back a bit.
>I'd rather go into too much detail over the little things than none at all
Mete it out carefully.

Let's examine the introduction:
>The sun was shining brightly.
Passive voice is one of the worst ways to start a story unless you are using it to support a greater statement.
>It was a dark and stormy night.
This cliche is more interesting because at least darkness brings mystery and storms, peril.
>It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…
Dickens uses passive here to objectify the attributes he lists and uses repetition to create a rhythm. Ba-da-ba-Positive, ba-da-ba-Negative, (repeats).

Your objective is, similar to a story I critiqued not long ago, to use the setting to paint around the protagonist and then zoom in on him, but you speak about generic person first, spending the lead-in on a cipher before clicking where you should've gone.
Let's tighten it up:

(Continues)
>>
>Billowing white clouds drifted lazily across a wide blue sky, daring not to block the rays of the bright sun above. Sweet summer breezes caressed Thepropernameofthe Park's well-tended wildflower gardens, carrying their aromas to the people leisurely enjoying a day of worry-free relaxation. "Kicking back" comprised Cam's plan for the day, something he rarely took time to do during his travels.

Paint the scene, connect the imagery in an arc to the protagonist (sky to wind to park to people to a particular one of them) and put on the beat why this moment is interesting: Cam doesn't relax like this so it's a special moment.

Next you explain the Pokémon premise. Even if we're accommodating readers unfamiliar with Pokémon, there's a lot of padding here; e.g., "Some made their homes in dark caverns. …" Unless we're going to go into a cavern and discover a pokemon, this is a detail that the reader doesn't benefit from. Wouldn't it be more interesting to read about where and under what circumstances Cam encountered and acquired Gardevoir and Lycanroc? That gives more specific detail about pokemon habitat while being relevant to the cast members and their personalities. The timing is terrible, too, because you just focused on Cam and then snap back into impersonal narration describing what Pokémon are via a comment about being generically a Trainer.

The next page or so can be easily tightened up, thus: The purpose of Pokémon is simplified. Cam's grooming behavior gains a clear role: a gardevoir's tendency to synchronize with Master causeds Gardevoir to share interest in his shoe, distracting her from the ice cream and bringing about its loss. Visual details sneak in because things like eye color matter when each looks into the other's eyes, and physical details, when they make contact. You can establish all the details you want without being bogged down in infodumps or asking your reader to remember things by depicting actions regarding those details.

(Cont: ex.)
>>
>…his travels. As a trainer, Cam visited hundreds of environments and encountered as many varieties of pokemon, selecting a few to keep him company and provide protection; two of the three primary roles of a pokemon in a human's life, the third being a trainer's champion in regulated competitions. Adjusting his white buttoned shirt and tightening his black tie just a little, he checked his shoes and found a clump of something sticking to one sole. Leaning forward to see if scraping his shoe against the sidewalk would dislodge it, a faint splat and a haunting whine beside him stole his attention. His gardevoir, with whom he shared this park bench, had leaned forward, too, carelessly letting the top scoop of her ice cream slip from its cone. She tilted her head and gazed into his eyes, they as green as her cowl-like hair, with one of her own red ones. Also red, however slightly, became her normally ghostly-pale cheeks, flushed with embarrassment as she focused on his emotional state—a talent common to most Psychic-type pokemon, but exceptionally important to pokemon in her species "family"—and awaited judgment. Placing his hand gently on the crystalline protrusion that jutted from her spine, Cam reassured her with a forgiving thought and kind suggestion, "Come on, let's go get you another." Her pleasant smile was worth more than all of the vanilla ice cream in the world. Taking one light step, Gardevoir held her smile as she levitated and glided along behind him, letting her pointed feet and flesh that can only be described as a dress hanging around them clear the sidewalk by a few inches. When they arrived at a vendor, Cam wore a smile, too.

The rest of the Gardevior scene is good.

Lycanroc scene is probably OK, depending on what her role is. Here, it feels like Gardevoir is his "friend" and Lycanroc is his "pet."

Despite the effort put into re-establishing the Pokémon premise, I'm not sure if "…if he wanted to survive" is a credible threat to his life.
>>
>>32800373
Give yourself some credit. You and traipsingexodus are the best writers in the thread.
>>
>>32803088
dubs confirm
>>
File: 1483077688809.png (13KB, 128x158px) Image search: [Google]
1483077688809.png
13KB, 128x158px
>>32803088
Dubs confirm this is your true belief. I'm flattered!
>>
File: 1480316890615.jpg (30KB, 328x293px) Image search: [Google]
1480316890615.jpg
30KB, 328x293px
>>32803088
You're too kind, mate.
>>
File: 46164477_p0.jpg (177KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
46164477_p0.jpg
177KB, 1024x768px
>>32798313
>>32798517
>>32800080
Thanks for your input guys!

I feel a little conflicted about including real-life animals. There have been mentions to them existing here and there and of course the thing with the Pokemon species names, but I personally would always feel kind of weird when I'd references about them. I can see this being an option, it's just not my cup of tea.

I think I'll roll with the vegetarian thing for now but maybe with some side mentions that eating meat is actually a thing in the world and the characters just choose to not eat it for one reason or another.
>>
>>32802673
>>32802702
>>32802735

Duly noted. I'll try not to be so scatter brained and work on tying the scene and characters together better.

I wouldn't say Cam think of any of his Pokemon as 'pets', but I don't you'd play fetch with a Gardevoir.

I'm still adding to the story, and I should have another update to it sometime this evening, so maybe you can tell me if I'm actually making a difference. Again, I appreciate the time you've taken to deal with a pleb like myself.
>>
>>32803573
>I don't you'd play fetch with a Gardevoir.
Why not? I think in HGSS, Gardevoir has the "looked away and barked" interaction on routes.
>>
>>32803730
Man, I want to go back and play some soul silver lol. Put I'm too used to using current gen Pokemon.. I'd miss prim and Lycanroc. Sigh.
>>
>>32803730
Careful with those ideas. You might inspire a writer to clarify what that sounds like, why it happens, in what context it occurs, etc. Stop digging someone's grave for them.
>>
>>32804035
I'll get right on that.
>>

Ok, next part is done. Man, I could write faster if I wasn't trying to watch too scariest videos on YouTube. Oh well. I tried to take your points, I double lined instead of indenting, and tried to be less.. encyclopediaish, and made describing the characters to more a part of the actual story than just taking a big chunk of or to do it.
>>
>>32803866
Do it anyway. You gotta get yourself some of that "Everything is Level 2X for four gyms" purgatory. Also, Pokeathlon.

>>32804035
>Stop digging someone's grave for them.
This is fan-fiction. The hole's there, it's just a matter of performing a trust exercise with it to catch you.

>>32804241
• Old typos remain.
• Many new ones. If this is being written on a telephone, get a bluetooth keyboard because between miscues and autocomplete, you're peppered with wrong-words.

>What was she up to now, he wondered.
• "What is she up to now?" he wondered.
• He wondered what she was now up to.
The thought, quoted as when thought, is present tense.
When a quoted statement is followed by a tag, a period is replaced by a comma, but an interrogative or exclamatory mark remains in that place, however it does not affect subsequent spacing or capitalization as it would were it the end of the narrative sentence.

This addendum offers much smoother reading and suggests Harem team.
>>
>>32804519
Quotes, that's basic grammar. Damn. My bad. Would it be too much to ask you to point out any minor spelling errors? I'm trying to teach my keyboard a few new words here and there, but I think it's still trying to be an ass and 'correct' stuff for me.

>Harem team

Yup. Not even gonna lie. My very first 'story' was trainer x pokemon' that I wrote earlier this week. Just to do it. And now I'm working on this. And when I get done with this little diddy, I'm going to start on the characters actual story. Like, I'm working to convince myself that I can do a full fledged story by practicing on this little stuff first.
>>
>>32804519
>This is fan-fiction. The hole's there, it's just a matter of performing a trust exercise with it to catch you.
>"How to successfully fall on your ass"
Just trust me, bro.
>>
File: Stan_and_Wendy.jpg (53KB, 600x582px) Image search: [Google]
Stan_and_Wendy.jpg
53KB, 600x582px
>>32794256
>working on a story
>it's about a happy little boy making friends with his pokemon and going on adventures
>he has a rival
>his rival is a min-maxer who tries way to hard to be cool
>protagonist uses pokemon he befriended on adventures and there's no real theme/purpose for them
>the rival's team is based entirely on type advantage with 2 attacks being STAB, 1 being a status move and 1 being a SE move for opponents that that SE against him
>start liking the the rival more since he uses strategy to win battles while the protagonist needs luck to win any fights

I kinda want to rewrite the whole story from the rival's perspective. Should I do it?
>>
>>32804641
Sounds fair, but what is the Rival's motivation?

Does he want to go Pro and get sponsorships? Nike Pokeballs and all that.

Is he trying to impress someone to make up for feeling unloved?

VERY IMPORTANT THIBG, THOUGH:

You aren't tied to the video game's format. Here in fanfiction land, you can use the environment, distance, and all sorts of obstacles that SHOULD be used in a DnD game to spice up the fight. Maybe the happy-go-lucky character is much better at setting up combo attacks (such as splash water with Water attack -> Follow up with an Electric/Ice attack) that just get under Smogon Character's skin. Heck, think of it more like in Overwatch, where numerous skills come into play rather than the 'Meta' people hide behind.
>>
>>32804641
Due to the rival's team being Smugon Approved, it sounds boring as hell. Unless you want to make it so RNG messes up his game and how he would handle that.
>>
>>32804714
>>32804641
It just hit me:

Smogon vs. Showderp

Just go to the TVTropes page for Showderp and go wild with the stuff there.

>A surprise non-STAB Electric attack paralyzes a key 'Mon.
>Bad switch-in leads to a key Flinch
>Turns out a lulzy and friendly 'Mon Showderp had actually is Smogon-tier calibrated

All sorts of reasons exist for Smogon-tier to lose. Heck, since this is fanfiction, you could always use the power of Friendship. Showderp's pet team work and play together, so they know how to cooperate and coordinate their attacks against the individual power houses.
>>
>>32804641
Nice concept! Without going into too much detail, my characters story is going to based on video game type mechanics as well, except, well.. My character is a dirty cheater. Basically, his Pokemon are all genetically modified to learn moves they should be able to learn, or to be stronger than the normal are. BUT, he's not really a competitive trainer, he's not really interested in league matches and such.

Based the idea on how I always used stuff like action replays and save modifying programs to inject Pokemon in my games, but only for in game use, I never battled online or anything.

Later on, there will be an institute based of smogon where trainers can literally 'build' specific teams to compete in this big tournament with all these rules and regulations regarding tiers and shit. Like, you know, Smogon.

It's a sort of idea I don't think I've ever really seen handled in a story before. Hopefully I'm pioneering some new ground here.
>>
>>32804772
>Watch some showderp battles
>actual write battles into your story movie per move
>like the character is watching a big league battle on TV or something

It can't get any more authentic than that
>>
>>32804809
*MOVE PER MOVE

my God I have a 5.5 inch screen, is my keyboard not big enough for me to type properly with my damn sausage thumbs???
>>
>>32804809
Mess around with the formats.

>It's a no-stops allowed constant battle gym
>Smogon noted Showderp was running around in pain earlier, looking confused
>Smogon does well, his knowledge carrying him through but his team is worn
>Goes up against Showderp, notes that he only brought one 'Mon
>Thinks he's got this in the bag
>This comes out of the ground
>>
File: 1480548350881.png (220KB, 455x611px) Image search: [Google]
1480548350881.png
220KB, 455x611px
>>32804796
>Basically, his Pokemon are all genetically modified to learn moves they should be able to learn, or to be stronger than the normal are. BUT, he's not really a competitive trainer, he's not really interested in league matches and such.
>>
File: smug loli painful - no text.png (167KB, 384x258px) Image search: [Google]
smug loli painful - no text.png
167KB, 384x258px
>>32804809
>>32804829
>typing on your phone
>not writing words with the swipe function

Get with the times grandpa.

>>32804839
I have to agree on this. Unless it's going to become an important plot-point (he loses without his modified pokemon, they get stolen etc) there's no real point having it in there.

>>32804837
>uses attract
>>
>>32804852
>Unless it's going to become an important plot-point (he loses without his modified pokemon, they get stolen etc) there's no real point having it in there.
I can't conceive a plot point that would require it in the FIRST place. Your examples would make solid plot points even if they were totally normal.
>>
>>32804796
I would advise rather _strongly_ against making his team a bunch of genetically modified supermon. The fact that he's uninterested in competition does little to wave off the powerful Mary Sue odor that kind of detail produces.

If they have to be special, then he should endeavor to make them special in some way. He's a Trainer, not someone who's been given the keys to the kingdom.
>>
>>32804852
>'Mon with Attract is also female
>Smogon forgot about it UNTIL he switched her in

>>32804829
Sometimes you do type properly but autocorrect gets in the way. Mine was defaulting to Smogon-tier everytime.
>>
>>32804839
It sounds creative. Reminds me of an idea about a Zorark who uses illusions too well. Essentially has to become the pokemon impersonated because of being unable to dispel the illusion.
>>
>>32804837
>>32804852
Oh shit, I missed the 4x speed. How would you actually beat this?
>>
>>32804852
i could extrapolate on the plot more that would explain why he uses them, but im still worried my idea is nigh sonic fanfic tier autistic and am worried ill be judged so harshly that i will be too ashamed to ever return to /vp/

>but i have no problem writing trainer x pokemon smut
>>
>>32804922
I'd say you should outline your story first. See what fits and what doesn't.
>>
>>32804922
Nigga you shouldn't care how autismo your fanfic idea is or isn't, you're writing bloody fanfiction. What matters is your ability to properly execute upon an idea in a way that produces work that isn't a horrible mess and follows the rules of English grammar.

TrainerxPokemon smut isn't even that autistic or whatever other derogatory term you'd like to call it; erotica is probably the lowest hanging fruit you could reach for on all of 4chan because it's produced in such abundance. There's a reason for that: people are fucking horny.

Either way, sit down and figure out your plot in such a way that you know what's going on and where you're going to end up because you'll help avoid running off on tangents or detailing things that are irrelevant. You're a new writer, so you have to be cognizant of all the different pitfalls that await you and not be discouraged when you go tumbling down into a few of them on the way to competence.
>>
>>32804953
>>32804965
Oh don't get me wrong, I know what's going on. This is a plot I've been building on for ages. Just never had the gumption to actually write it.

>>32804872
I said he wasn't interested in league matches. I never said he didn't battle. There are people to fight besides trainers who follow league rules. Every game has had a different group of villains, but even they have more or less played by the rules when it came to battling. What if some didn't?

Don't forget Mewtwo. A Pokemon created by scientist that we're hired by the head of a criminal industry. Or how about how each region has some scientist or another that can resurrect extinct Pokemon from the DNA in the fossils?

I'm just saying, there's so much more to the of Pokemon than 'catch em all and be the chanpion'. That's fun and all, but.. I want to do something a little different.
>>
>>32805004
You can be different without donutsteel-tier pokemon. That you feel you require it tells me that for all your nascent talent, you have a fundamental lack of imagination.
>>
>>32805004
One of the things that got me right now was 'getting' a group of genetically engineered 'Mons.

In our world, Purebred animals are expensive. Gene -engineered ones will probably multiply that. And for the MC to just get them?

What is the MC's actual goal? Be vague if you have to, does he want to be an astronaut, a painter, explore the world?
>>
>>32805057
I think the problem is quite the opposite, but I can't really explain it without divulging into the entire plot of my story, and I didn't really feel like doing that.

It's not like he's walking about with a pocket full of Arceus grade Pokemon. When I use cheats and hacks irl, I don't just pump my Pokemon to have 999 base stats. But some of the one I like, they aren't all that strong. So I gave them a little boost to put them on par with like, the final stage of your starter. Like high-mid tier. And I'd give a few Pokemon move they wouldnt normally be able to learn, like I always gave my Gardevoir Surf. I plan on making a joke of this very thing in my story by someone telling my charcoal Gardevoir cant learn surf, only to have his Gardevoir run by towards the beach with a surfboard in her arms.

And he's only one character in the story. There are plenty others. The 'traveling companion' is a young girl who hasn't been on her own pokemon journey for long.

It's not going to be like on Dragonball where literally two or three characters are so strong that the rest become completely obsolete and boring because of it.

>he mostly just uses said plot device to get the Pokemon he thinks are the best looking
>I really only cheat to get the Pokemon I think are the best looking
>>
>>32805067
He wants to live happily with his mons and not be disturbed by the evil people he is tied up with

Basically, after the fall of Giovanni and team rocket, the whole Gene splicing pokemon shit kept going on behind the scenes in the shadows. 'injected' Pokemon are bred and sold on the black market to wealthy or famous trainers who just want to win big without the work. More or less, the MC gets involved with these people, and they're after him. The reason he doesn't compete in big league matches is because he doesn't want to draw attention to himself. But he still knows all this is going on and sort of works at trying to stop it when he can. He uses the product of an evil organization to try to out an end to said organization. But also, he doesn't see his Pokemon as just tools, a means to an end. He makes the point that sometimes trainers that legitimately catch their Pokemon and train them normally still see them as only objects, basing how they feel on them on thing like stats and moves. While he basically have any poke he wants, he opts NOT to have then be good tier, and enjoys their company as friends as much as he on them in battle.
>>
>>32805110
So it's a literal self-insert? From the sounds of it, this really IS "nigh sonic fanfic tier autistic".

Drop the concept. Just drop it. You've given no indication that it's actually important to whatever stor- wait what even IS your story?

Time to make a calculated decision, my man. Tell us your story to provide context for this nonsense, or have it forever branded as nonsense. there's only a VERY FEW ways such a concept can work, and right now you seem very, very far from any of them.
>>
>>32805142
Well now you're just kind of being mean
>>
File: 1493608456093.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1493608456093.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>32805156
You're on 4chin. This place isn't a hugbox. You learn to make a good story or go to a safe space where everything is false pandering.
>>
>>32805138
Better.

Now walk backwards from this point

What would a pokemon coming out of such a facility, coming from such evil people, be like? What would their rescuer be like? What kind of situations would this team have had to go through to get to this point. Who is hunting them? How do they protect themselves?

Personal thought; to me this still sounds very much like an alternate take on the typical game plots. You've made it SUPERFICIALLY different while being SUBSTANTIVELY similar. In the end, it's the same thing we have a hundred copies of, just dressed up all fancy in a strange pattern and style.

If you want unique, why not make a story with no team, no quest, no gyms, none of the game trappings at all?
>>
>>32805165
This is true.

It's hard to explain the story without actually telling the story. But it IS based on how I used to inject Pokemon, but I still felt like I enjoyed the game as much as people that played competitively, maybe even move so. Not that I can judge how much anyone else enjoyed their experience.

>>32805172
I kind of felt that's what I was doing. It's like the of pokemon that exists BEHIND the world of Pokemon.

I'll have to actually write some of it before I can really take opinions on it, eh?
>>
>>32805203
>I'll have to actually write some of it before I can really take opinions on it, eh?
If you fail to adequately communicate your story in short form, you will fail to adequately communicate it in long form.

>>32805203
>I kind of felt that's what I was doing.
But you said you wanted to make something different. My point is this isn't different; it only LOOKS different.

>>32805203
>But it IS based on how I used to inject Pokemon
In the end, this is why you shouldn't write it. No story based on the author will ever come out good. Hell some of the masters tried; the worst part of King's Dark Tower series were the parts where King stars as a character.

Who don't you let this idea sit on a shelf to age a bit, and come back to it when you've honed your talents elsewhere. You might find a way to do it without referencing your own IRL playstyle. Perhaps you'll eventually recognize it's something that might just deserve to stay on its shelf.
>>
>>32804600
>Would it be too much to ask you to point out any minor spelling errors?
They are numerous, and all you must do is proof-read them objectively which is a skill you must develop. It isn't spelling errors but typographical errors, either you are typing the wrong words or you are allowing an auto-correct or auto-complete to auto-fuckup your entry.

>>32805156
>being mean
Honest and objective critique is not mean, but it can cause one to project onto the critic one's disappointment to learn that others don't share your enthusiasm.

You have taken inspiration from your experience (using Game Genie) and are hoping to use "Genetic Engineering" in your fiction to implement its effect. But genetic engineering requires a lot of science, technology, and funding to make happen. Game Genie grants a wish to poke a byte of memory. You are being cautioned that readers will LIKELY respond to prodigal use of suspension of disbelief in a negative way.

It's advice, not cruelty.

You've admitted that you've been poking game memory because you want to make favoritemons useful by upping base stats or installing atypical techniques.

Target that goal.

There's no reason for genetic engineering expenditures to be spent on making 450 BST's into 550 BST's when you could buff Garchomp instead.

What other options do you have? Plenty. It's pokemon. Pikachu can know surf and fly because it made for a cool promo. Maybe this one gardevoir oddly inherited surf from its Jellicent father or grew up in a flood plain. How about experimentation with artificial megastones to explain a shoddy buff for median pokemon?

Find something that's interesting.

As long as it isn't more dumb than what the anime does, it'll have a better chance at a positive reception than something that people are already telling you they'll find unappealing.
Offering a reason why invites the reader to actively wonder about your concept.
Forcing a matter demands that the reader passively accept it—or quit reading.
>>
>>32805401
>As long as it isn't more dumb than what the anime does

I feel the guy who wrote this;
>>32804683
>combo attacks (such as splash water with Water attack -> Follow up with an Electric/Ice attack)
should take note of this advice
>>
>>32805543
Kinda like Rain Dance → follow up with Thunder?
>>
>>32805618
In the anime, this would negate a ground-type's immunity.
>>
File: bar-brawl-usa-v-japan-a67aka.jpg (89KB, 375x540px) Image search: [Google]
bar-brawl-usa-v-japan-a67aka.jpg
89KB, 375x540px
>>32805543
The Grass/Water/Fire Pledge combos plus the Fusion Moves beg to differ. Don't forget the Assurance abuses.

>>32805618
>>32805627
What I wanted to get through instead was to mix EVERYTHING up. Try different things in different places. Instead of White Room battles, start a brawl in a bar with Pokemon and see what happens. Take some energy drinks and watch Jackie Chan movies for inspiration.
>>
>>32805627
>soak
>>
>>32805627
Kind of like when Pikachu could shock Brock's onix after it got wet from the fir sprinklers?

>>32805241
I get what you're saying, I do. And I totes meant 'being mean' as a joke. This IS 4chan and all, the fuck do I think I am, Tumblr? And you're right, I know you're right, and I'm just trying to make more out of it than I need too. I'm trying to go 'too big', when I'm going so big that I'm having a hard time keeping it together because of it's bigness. I should just tone it down a bit. Perhaps I will forgo the whole modified Pokemon theme, for the most part. As far as the anime depicts it, all Pokemon have the potential to be 'stronger than normal' as long as the owner puts effort into training them. Mayhap ill just make the MC a deadbeat lazy ass who just doesn't compete in big tournaments because fuck rules and he just doesn't care. I'll still like the idea of him traveling with a 'normie' and setting you the whole smogon style battle paradise later.

I dunno. It's just that hacking has always been such a controversial topic about the games, I always felt it would make a fascinating take on a story. But yeah. You can get farther carrying a light load. No sense in trying to do so much that I don't actually do anything.
>>
>>32805650
>Pledge combos plus the Fusion Moves beg to differ.
>>32805675
>>soak

Sure, use the ones the game sets out. But just making up your own combos on the fly and having them demonstrate unusual effects is not just an Ashnime thing but one of the biggest faults of it, according to many people.

>>32805682
>Kind of like when Pikachu could shock Brock's onix after it got wet from the fir sprinklers?
Yes, just like this, thank you.
>>
>>32805682
>You can get farther carrying a light load.
Wide words more people need to live by. Maybe you have a future here afterall.
>>
>>32805700
It's my biggest problem when it comes to writing. I can't NOT over this think. Someone mentioned letting this idea sit on a shelf for a while. That's the problems though, this stew has been in the pot so long that it's just about burnt. The longer I wait, the more I think, the more I add, the more tangle it gets. But now that I've thought about it for so long, thinking of taking away from my ideas feels so.. wrong. Anyone that writes knows the feeling though, when you think your idea is just BRILLIANT, and then other people say 'oh, maybe not', and in you're own mind you're like 'no no, see, this is why it makes sense', because in YOUR mind, it does. A spider knows which strands of it's web to step on though, but it can still get tangled if I isn't careful. I feel like a spider that's made a huuuge elehwnt web, but now it's so big, it's not strong enough to catch any bugs on. But I don't want to tear it down because I've spent so much time and work on it.
>>
>>32805744
I don't think every writer experiences this, but most NEW ones do. I think the ability too cut back your ideas into something truly worth writing is what separates a new writer from an experienced one.
>>
>>32805691
I'm from DnD land; I've seen the arguments about using combat powers in non-combat situations, believe me.

I just want him to branch out and try new things. You have so many more options than what a Game Boy is capable of.
>>
>>32805763
This is true, but it's also still fun to go out on the Fringe and try extreme new ideas too. Sometimes.

There's still plenty more to what original idea than I've talked about. I could write you a much more detailed synopsis via email if you'd like.
>>
>>32805744
>this stew has been in the pot so long that it's just about burnt. The longer I wait, the more I think, the more I add, the more tangle it gets. thinking of taking away from my ideas feels so.. wrong
You haven't developed any editor muscles. Yet.
>>
>>32805854
I haven't written any Pokemon related stuff, but I've written. Haven't written much these last few years because I've been busy irl and let that hobby slide a bit. I'm rusty, but as I keep at it, and keep getting input from people like y'all, I'm sure I'll re-home my editing muscles, and everything else.

>>32805768
You bring up a good and difficult point. From playing the games, we learn to expect certain limits as far as stuff like battles work. But in the anime, everything is more loose than an old whores cooch. Pokemon attack multiple times before their opportunity makes a move, using moves it tandem, or even simultaneously, to create extra effects.. when writing, which bases do you follow? What rules do you play by?
>>
>>32805917
>difficult point
Not really. You are seeing a false dichotomy far earlier than it actually takes place, and mistaking the narrative illusion for the real thing.

Are you writing about a live / "lively" world? Use lively rules. Have Pokémon move, perceive, think. If you shout "DICKS use Ice Beam!" your opponent will know what's coming. Arenas will have room to move, and Pokémon will need a reason to tank a long-range move that they can dodge by just stepping aside. I'd only use the game engine in fic writing if I was writing something like a very barebones novelization that followed the exact rules of the games (like can't walk up / northwards a ledge) for the irony points.

Even if you are writing a tournament with rules and think "but muh strict!", the limitations of the engine don't really apply here. Writing "like the games" only barely starts at "four moves", then you have to consider the engine by itself: you can't move (approach or take distance from your foe), you can't take advantage of the medium (flying Pokémon are not more flying than a random Rattata than a marine Pokémon is swimming, everything takes place at the same "eye level"), and for the most part turns are highly telegraphed.
>>
>>32802182
One of the most important things I've learned in the thread is that no detail is worlds better than too much detail. Accept that not everything you want to throw at the reader is important.
>>
This thread has been extremely insightful and I appreciate all the input, but it's late and I have work in the morning. So, goodnight everyone!
>>
What a constructive thread this has been.
>>
>>32806113
Completely disagree with that. No detail? There go the interesting bits. Not taking your statement literally, details are key components of a worthwhile read. I want to know where I am in a story. What's going on, about the world, its characters, the stuff that make it different from what I'm used to because otherwise I'd probably be playing the lame-ass games where detail is limited by technical constraints.
>>
>>32807270
>>32806113
Detail is a matter of balance. Too much and you bore the reader as your prose shifts from story-telling to just plain old telling. Too little and you end up with what are ostensibly people talking back and forth in what is ostensibly a room in what is ostensibly a world. Ostensibly.

Strike the balance and you're golden. And like so many things, easier said.
>>
>>32807270
>>32807325
I was speaking in terms of extremes. The issue with "muh interesting world" is that the author is never going to actually be able express even half of all the interesting stuff about their world. That stuff is best expressed in film, not literature. Bare minimum description is what works in this era. Any more than that and things just read like those stylish-but-clusterfuckish Victorian novels.
>>
When you guys write, how do you write about towns and cities? Do you use the ones that are in the games and show? Do you make your own up? It seems like on the anime, they come across a new town every other episode. But in the games, there's only ever like 10 or 12 real cities. If you create your own, how do you place it in the already established world?
>>
>>32808513
For my own purposes, I like to equate the pokemon world with the real world, overwriting things where they need to be overwritten, and taking various liberties (ie. Poke!Japan isn't nearly as xenophobic and backwater as IRL Japan because the worldwide training industry greatly encourages sport tourism)

Basically Sinnoh = Hokkaido, terms interchangeable, for one example

It would make a lot of sense to include more towns than just at Fiore. A whole subcontinent with only four towns and vast swathes of untamed deadly wilderness? I don't think so.
>>
>>32808709
fugged up

I meant: It would make a lot of sense to include more towns than just those visible in the games. Just look at Fiore.
>>
>>32808513
Until my current WIP, the only canonical city depicted at all was a couple of shots inside (a) Goldenrod Pokecenter, but now I've got the Gen 2 canon path through Tohjo Falls, New Bark, Cherrygrove, Violet, Alph, Union, Azalea, Ilex, and back up to Goldenrod before hitching a ride to Ocimene.

I stuck to the canon map, no supplementary/throw-away adventure towns as in the animation, mostly to keep the pacing steady and not to spend forever in the "I need to add some Johto to establish MC's culture before throwing her into my wacky world" phase. Each of the locations gets a little bit of attention, mostly taking one or two of the game canon attributes and cranking it to 11, forming a bit of a caricature while still focusing on the same distinctiveness that make these places identifiable.

As for the experience, they're nice places to visit but I wouldn't want to writingly live there, and I do not regret my first big world-building decision which was to write Can't Escape in an adventure region instead of Johto.
>>
Guys, wrt do you call the dangle bita on the back of a lucarios head?
>>
>>32809702
I've used "sensors" specifically in the context of their reacting to the movements of others, and "sensory/aura organs" when describing their being aroused by a threatening condition. Similarly, I've used "horn," "node," and "antenna" for Gardevoir-line features, according to intended imagery and context. That's what I consider most important: because they are fantasy biology features, there is no automatic association between their name (should they have one), form, and function, so depicting them requires focusing on which part of their nature is relevant to the scene (or choosing a term that avoids emphasizing something that isn't important).
>>
>>32808513
Given that I work with OC region, I write my own towns. The one story where I portray a canon settlement (Viridian) does not go beyond showing off a random park in the place.

I don't go with "Pokémon world == IRL world" exactly, rather I take some various liberties thanks to the fact that there are Regigigas and Weather Trio to reformat the continents and features like pieces of a puzzle whenever I see fit. In fact I like the idea of the (back then canon) anime world map shown in the Unova seasons, that had recognizable features like Scandinavia, Iberia and LI but positioned at different places in differently shaped continents.

And the world is definitively larger than the games. Going by the games, most cities and towns are pretty much equidistant from each other for all logistical purposes (there are some routes in G2 and G6 that are shorter than the smaller towns, even).
>>
How many writers have ever invented entirely new things for their stories, like new moves, new kind of pokeball, or even entirely new kinds of Pokemon?
>>
>>32810977
I've made up some new hardware, but msot of it is secretly just ways to cover in-narrative details that would be handled by the game's UI
>>
Whoa, this thread is still a thing? Nice. How is everyone?
>>
>>32811229
It's a general, of course it's still a thing
>>
>>32810977
>entirely new things
Probably no one. What we call "originality" is mostly adapting already proven to work ideas just enough that they feel different. Eg.: Shakespeare.

I'm not shy of admitting that most of the "invented" stuff of my world is soft adaptions from games and series I like. Lots of things out there do fit nicely with only minor adjustment.

>new moves
I've had no need, the TCG compliments pretty well.
>new kinds of Pokémon
Errrrrrr I'm still too new at this to try.
>>
File: 1484620411557.jpg (33KB, 591x352px) Image search: [Google]
1484620411557.jpg
33KB, 591x352px
>>32811229
>still a thing?

Turbo casual plz lurk moar
>>
File: courtney_admin_face.jpg (15KB, 200x199px) Image search: [Google]
courtney_admin_face.jpg
15KB, 200x199px
>>32808513
My locations vary based on the nature of the work, often paralleling a certain theme I'm going for. This may be related to a Gym Leader, a specific area of interest, or important character to the plot. It becomes my duty as author to make the city, town, or place their home. The progression in my series went along fine for as long as it did by using a limited number of towns and cities from the games in addition to various connected islands. Ultimately there were several areas of importance along the way, and each of them may feature a new type of theme. Examples to highlight, Vermilion, the largest port with a military background from Surge, Lavender, the paranormal based on the ghost, Goldenrod, a cultural epicenter being home of the iconic broadcasting tower.

I say all of this to compare it to my next story which originally features Orre, however certain events take it beyond the sparse region. My ambition is not to design an entire region, but instead to layer an existing one with new life.

>>32809702
My advice is start with what they do. Do they only sense aura? Are they also there for balance or serve any aesthetic purpose? From there derive a term to call it. Doesn't have to be too fancy, a descriptive term different from basic biology suffices. Make it relevant to the species and you're good. My fiction examples, Gardevoir's crystal = heart shard, Sneasel's feather = crown feather, etc.

>>32810977
Moves are relatively easy to invent. I don't tend to do it unless there's an opportunity that allows for something more creative. Kinds of Pokemon as well, Shadow Pokemon are the first thing I think of. Mega Evolution, allowing a different species from the Mega Stone to overtake the the evolving Pokemon.
>>
>>32811258
>>32811293
Come on guys, no need to bully the newfriend. He's being nice and civil.
>>32811229
I'm fine here, how's it going for you?
>>
>>32810977
Tech that shows up in Homunculus might be new or not, I'm not sure, but that's probably as far as it goes. I do stretch abilities, moves and the capabilities of Pokemon at times, but that hardly counts.
>>
File: how pallet town should look.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
how pallet town should look.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>32808513
I've yet to write something set in a canon region, but if I did, I don't think I'd stick to only the in-game towns, or even make them look exactly like they do in the games. Logically, the regions should have more towns (and bigger ones at that) than we see in-game, and I usually consider sources other than the games to be more accurate representations of that sort of thing.
For example, Pallet Town is merely three houses in the games, but it looks like pic related in Pokemon Origins, which I think looks much more reasonable. Same goes for its appearance in the main anime, but I couldn't find a good screenshot of that version, so I went with Origins instead.

>>32809702
What cge said sounds like a good idea. For the record, Bulbapedia calls them "appendages", but that doesn't sound right to me.

>>32810977
I've never made up new moves or Pokemon, although I once invented a new ball for a story. That said, I eventually figured it wasn't necessary, and changed it back to an ordinary type of ball. I figure there's no reason to invent something new if something that already exists can serve the role just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

>>32811229
I'm doing alright. Summer break's finally here, which means I've got a bit more free time now. Hopefully I'll actually resume writing and posting stuff again. It's been too long.
>>
>>32794256
im writing about a fat kid from goldenrod, that get a lot of wet dreams, and drowzee find his dream to be delicious and both agree to turn those dream into reality. yay for friendship!.
>>
>>32811983
Alright anon, you get all my whats. What?
>>
>>32812220
what about what?
is just a fanfic about a fat kid and his drowzee going on for adventure.
if its for wet dreams, i didn't know how to call them, erotic dreams, maybe?
>>
File: 63456515_p1.png (359KB, 1000x1224px) Image search: [Google]
63456515_p1.png
359KB, 1000x1224px
>force myself to start writing last night
>wind up getting into it and having fun
>start at midnight and end at 5am the next morning
I enjoyed myself quite a bit, 8.5K words was a good amount.

I'm really happy that I've written more in this year alone then the last few years combined. It's been fun getting back into it, hopefully I'll be able to finish something for once and be able to start uploading on fanfiction again.
>>
>>32794256
Dies someone know good or interesting Scytber stories?
>>
>>32795689
Just dropping in to tell you that a short story about a Sableye and a trainer is on its way. I'll have it done by tomorrow, but it's a pretty standard story imo.
>>
>>32813124
The closest I've got are some Scyther stories, alas.

Nightmare ( https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3452218/1/Nightmare ) by Dragonfree s my personal favourite.The author has around three or four other stories about Scyther characters, too.

Hunter (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8969844/1/Hunter ) by zoruarules4 is also good, if a bit shorter than I feel was intended.
>>
Pokespeak. What's your guys take? Do you actually write it out like the anime where the can only say their names?

Like- "Pi pi, pika," Pikachu said, excited to have happened upon an oran berry bush.

Or, like, fully translated to english- "Oh, sweet, oran berries," said the same Pikachu, but I a manner that the readers could understand.

Me, personally, I don't like writing them as repeating bits and pieces of their names. But that's just me. I more or less just express them as making whatever kinds of noises the animals their based on would make.

-The Growlithe barked protectively at the stranger that approached his trainer.

-With delighted whinnies, the Ponyta galloped across the field.

-Groaning the effort, the Machoke worked together to lift the steel beam into place.

Sometimes, I do implied thought using itilics. If I wrote a story based on a human free Pokemon world, I'd do spoken English. I guess I'm more used to playing the games, I know almost every Pokemon digital cry, but I don't know what half of their "voices" sound like.

I've been a Gardevoir fag since Sapphire, but I don't know what they sound like saying their name because I've never seen an episode with one on it.

Anyways. What's your take on the subject?
>>
>>32814462
Pokéspeech is useless filler text. Nobody actually reads it; you just scan past it to where the actual text continues. It conveys no information whatsoever most of the time, and in the rare case it does, it'd still have read better with actual description.

Onomatopoeia in text-only media is a lazy shortcut and pokéspeech is not just lazy but also reads badly.
>>
>>32814462
Pokespeech is translated into English, bolded, and noted by the prose as sentences spoken in pokespeech. The speech is given a short description for the reader to understand how it is that the speech sounds by likening it something (shifting gravel, musical tones, an echoing wetness) and we move forward from there. Pokespeech is only translated when two pokemon are speaking - it is not translated when a pokemon speaks to a human, and in the case of a translator being present, they will take in what is said, process it (during which meaning may be lost) and then relay the translated message to the waiting human/pokemon.

Speech is then constructed according to rules I make up for myself as to how complex the given pokemon will make its sentences, with sentences shifting from complex or abstract at high levels of intelligence, to as little as single word responses and emotions at low levels of intelligence (though this is not always the case, some pokemon use short speech for their own reasons/reasons endemic to their line.)

While I dislike putting telepathy (but not thoughts) into italics and pokespeech into bold, the readership generally expects it/is used to it, and if it makes it easier for them to read, so be it. It's just a little bolded/italicized text in the end, not the end of the world.
>>
Addendum

I just watched the fight between Ash and whatsherface, with geninja and Gardevoir to reference what Gardevoir sounded like.

1: I forgot it's jao name is sirknight

And 2: it's sounds as fucking adorable as I thought it would

And B: I never thought I would find a Naruto style frog Pokemon to be so cool. Jesus, what's wrong with me?
>>
>>32814462
One of the first things I did when doing my post-publish editing of BSTF Ch.1-3 was remove the pokespeak and it was one of the best changes I made to all of Part 1. In WIAM I mentioned the language in question just sounded like animal noises, and that's an ACTUAL language
>>
>>32814588
Panic, run around in circles, get winded, fall down, hit head, awake to a vision of the flux capacitor, go back to 1955, prevent Pokemon from happening, return to find 2015 to be a world of flying cars and instant pizza.
>>
>>32814603
You can't hide those spoilers from me, I have seen [everything] ee4ee.

You'll be fine, just make sure it's weird.
>>
>>32814617
I used to remember how to nest them, but I guess I forgot, along with forgetting how to greentext after spoilers and other fancy tricks.
>>
>>32814626
>fancy tricks.
Gonna triforce?
>>
>>32814462
I try to limit Poke speak as much as possible.

Pikachu is the one I'm generally fine with since if it's interacting with Ash it's voice can be used to help a scene.
>Ash flips the fuck out over something
>"Pikapi..." which is essentially Pikachu going, "Ash..."

I don't like when long sentences are written out in Pokespeak, like "Pi pikachu pika pika pikachu pikapi" and prefer to keep it to simple responses to their trainers command or idea, like:
"Alright, Pikachu! Let's give it everything we've got!"
"Pi Pikapi!"

That doesn't need translation because Pikachu in itself has a fairly large vocabulary to pull from.

I use whines, roars, growls, and barks as descriptors for Pokemon noises for Pokemon like Garchomp, Charizard and such but for certain Pokemon like Greninja it's safer to use it's anime voice "Koga!" because everyone knows that voice and how it responds to its trainers.
>>
Thinking about doing a fanfic taking place in Alola one or two years after the events of the games.
Protagonist is from Sinnoh, he writes for one of those cheesy mystery magazines and he's in Alola to investigate the Ultra Beast sighthings.
But shortly after he arrives on Heahea Tapu Lele shows up causing trouble and ends up giving him a Sparkling Stone, basically sending him on an Island Challenge. As he's technically not too old (haven't decided an exact age yet, but it will be from 15 to 17) and no one wants to upset the Tapu, he is sent on one, as he would need to travel the islands anyway.

There is an ulterior reason for his investigation, which I have not yet decided if he's initially aware of. A reformed Team Galactic, led by Saturn, wants intel on dimensional phenomena because it may give a lead to Cyrus' whereabouts after he vanished into the Distortion World, and Saturn is sure that if Cyrus is alive, he is still working towards his world-ending goals. A separate faction of Galactic remnants who actually want Cyrus back is also looking into the Ultra Wormhole as a way to contact him, and that's basically the plot.

I'm accepting suggestions for Pokémon in the Sinnoh pokédex (not necessarily pokémon introduced in Gen IV) to be with the protagonist from the start, as I have already a good idea of what Alolamons he will be getting, as well as feedback for the concept in general.
>>
>>32814967
Give us some hints about the MCs personality and we can go from there a bit better.
>>
>>32814967
>hints for the pokemon that he has with him initially

A Porygon Z.
>>
>>32815012
He is composed and somewhat apathetic, but not outright cynic or mean spirited.
He writes for what is basically a bogus occult magazine and doesn't believe this kind of stuff, just finds it interesting and it gives him an excuse to travel to interesting locations, which he enjoys doing.

I haven't thought about the ins and outs of his personality for long enough to be set on which flaws he will have, aside from the aforementioned apathy, lack of enthusiasm.
>>
>>32814462
I've never liked the whole name-saying thing that the anime does. It's kind of annoying and pointless if you ask me, and I think using animal noises or the like is better. To that end, I never use Pokespeak in my stories.
That said, I won't immediately hate a fanfic that includes Pokespeak, but as always, I reserve the right to groan and/or roll my eyes at it.

>>32814967
Doesn't sound like a bad concept. If you're stumped on ideas for what Pokemon to use, you can always use a random Pokemon generator. I did, and got the following: Rapidash, Sudowoodo, Skuntank, Bronzong, Mantine, and Toxicroak. Maybe one of those sounds good to you? Personally, I lean towards Toxicroak, since I used one ingame before.
Or you could use Porygon-Z like traipsingexodus said. That's definitely an interesting Pokemon.
>>
>>32794256
this fucking picture
every time i scroll by it i have to do a double take because for a second it looks like machop has a massive dong

anyway, keep doing what you guys are doing, writing is pretty neato
>>
>>32815027
>>32815076
The Porygon line is interesting, and I never really thought of using them. Don't know if he would start with a Porygon-Z but it would be interesting. Croagunk and Toxicroak are always amazing pokémon to have around in a story as well because it's easy to give them personality, and now that you mentioned it, I do feel like using one.

Will wait to see if more good suggestions show up. There's so many pokémon that I feel many great ones just slip me when creating a character's party.
>>
>>32815057
Go with a Skorupi that has Dig. It just 'leaves' situations like it's owner.

As the character develops, you can develop it in complimentary ways. 'Battle Armor' that lets it get close to enemies, just as its Trainer starts taking things on. Or 'Sniper' as the Trainer becomes a real Journalist who pulls out the holes in arguments and stories.
>>
File: 1473024484380.jpg (720KB, 991x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1473024484380.jpg
720KB, 991x1400px
>>32814462
My personal rules. I wrote a lot having to do with psychic mons so having a system was important.

>Italics for character thoughts. Same grammar as if spoken but without the quotes: I like pie, he thought. <I like pie> receives the Italics because it is a personal, unshared thought.

>Italics WITH quotes for a telepathically transmitted message. Think of it as whispered speech. For the inexperienced, personal thoughts can mistakenly become telepathy if the thought is strong enough.

>Someone who can understand Pokemon language, through telepathy or technological device: [Hi trainer!] Brackets replace the quotation marks, text within is translated with appropriate accents depending on the Pokemon.

>Regular pokespeak remains a combination of growls, squeals, barks, purrs, and hisses unless it is capable of learning speech. Requirements are 1) a voice box, 2) reasonably high intelligence, 3) some learning time. Easiest example is a Chatot.

>If a creature can speak, uses a language other than English, but is understood through a discernment method, an unknown vocabulary word will be italicized, partially translated with context clues, and I will provide a direct translation in the lexicon I keep posted. Helpful when a speaker uses an ancient language.
I use this last option sparingly. In Protector it specifically pertains to the Gardevoir language of the Old Forest - an archaic manner of communication where only most, but not all, of the meaning translates. There's around 10-20 of these words in total.

Whatever you decide to do, consistency is what counts.
>>
>>32814967
Also, I want to talk about some S/M characters ages. The games are vague about it and appearances can be subjective, so I'll share what I'm rolling with.
At the time of the game:
Mallow was 15
Kiawe was 17
Lana was 13
Gladion was 13
Illima was 16
Acerola was 11
Mina was 15
Sopochles was 12

Of course all these ages could be off by one year plus or minus, but both from the impression I got from the games and for the sake of the story I'l tell (set two years after the games) I think those would be ideal ages. But I don't know what ages other people attribute to them in fanfictions or in their own headcanons so I thought it was worth asking to see if readers wouldn't find those ages weird.
>>
I want to write some trashy weird smut. Give me a trainer or two and some /d/ tier kink and I'll try and write something with them.
>>
>>32814462
I don't like Pokéspeak, I prefer the Pokémon having cries like in the games. So when writing, I describe their noise the same way I'd describe an animal making a noise.
>>
>>32815299
Nate x May, Futa
>>
File: 1384545313335.jpg (3MB, 2618x3338px) Image search: [Google]
1384545313335.jpg
3MB, 2618x3338px
>>32815299
I got an oldie idea here:

Shauna stumbling across a galvantula nest full of Joltiks.

I kinda want to request her seeing said nest (on a journey to that thunder cave in Unova), trying to befriend a joltik that ultimately finds its way underneath her shorts, sending literal jolts of electricity into her most sensitive parts. Of course, being a nest, there would be other joltiks who can latch on and shock her other parts as well (breast, ass, maybe even inside both holes too), sending her into multiple overdrive orgasms. And then the father comes home and things go further...
>>
>>32815273
Not that different than mine;
>Italics with quotes; direct "voice in your head" telepathy
>Allcaps with singlequotes; written messages
>Allcaps with square brackets; computer readout/message
All of the above can be seen in BSTF Ch.3
>Italics with quotes and square brackets; telepathic sub-channels.
I use this for information relayed telepathically but not with a mindvoice. Telepathy as a medium can express so much more information than just speaking without moving one's mouth, and I figured I'd have a separate formatting style to illustrate such information. This can be seen in BSTF Ch.7 and Ch.9
>Character thoughts
I've been avoiding using any formatting to directly relate this, instead just narrating what the thoughts are. In my current work I get to play with it, since there's a pokemon who communicates not telepathically to the mind, but instead via other means, which cause thoughts to appear unprompted but as if the recipient thought of it on their own

It's enough to give cge a conniption
>>
>>32813352
Kay, done. It'll be a two chapter story so this is basically just a bit of set up for what's to come. It's short, though, since I haven't quite gotten back into the habit of writing as much as I used to.

https://pastebin.com/JeEC1HTF
>>
File: 1488619051204.jpg (464KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1488619051204.jpg
464KB, 2048x1536px
>>32813352
>>32816816
Awesome. You're a real human bean.

Sorry I didn't reply to your first post, but for some reason 4chan isn't giving me any 'you's' so I don't see replies unless I manually check.

Loved the story and am eagerly looking forward to more. Glad you picked sableye. Probably my favourite mon. Kahuna Guzma was a nice touch, too.
>>
>>32812370
That's usually how things go for me. Late night is the best time for writing. Good for you, anon, I'm glad you're getting back into writing.
>>
>>32816872
Glad you like it so far, I hope the next chapter lives up to your expectations. And yeah, the Guzma thing is basically set up for since I'm planning on writing more stories with this character.

I'll have it done within two or so days.
>>
>>32815386
>It's enough to give cge a conniption
what isn't?
>>
File: pk-triforce.png (331KB, 658x490px) Image search: [Google]
pk-triforce.png
331KB, 658x490px
>>32814657
Pic related.

>>32814462
$NAME_OF_SOUND words. "Growl", "snarl", "bark", "quack", that kind of stuff. Never explicitly writing Pokémon "talking" unless it is in a context where their language is understood (eg.: Pokémon-to-Pokémon talk).

>>32815273
>>32815386

>italics for emphasis

>italics with quotes for character thoughts, unless it's in a context where there's "inter-thought" talk.

><quotes> for Pokémon speech that is translated, or just assumed to be understood in context where "quotes" are being used for human dialogue.

>«quotes» for dialogue that is eg.: playback from a recorder, or heard from the radio / TV.

Unsure what would I do with telepathy, probably italics with quotes but been thinking if curvyquotes or brackets makes some sense. But at that point it's for the most part making things harder than needs be (there's nothing wrong with '"I can haz cheezburgr?" the Lapras relayed telepathically')
>>
File: 1492420904682.png (61KB, 495x332px) Image search: [Google]
1492420904682.png
61KB, 495x332px
I'm not sure if this sort of stuff is allowed here, but I've been wondering. I'm planning to start writing a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fanfic sometime soon, but I don't know where to start. I sort of have an idea on how I want to write the characters, but I haven't played the games enough to get an idea on how I should write the story itself. All I know is that I don't want for the story to be a carbon copy of an actual PMD plotline and I don't want for it to be edgy or needlessly dark.

For people who are writing Mystery Dungeon fanfics or read them, what are some basic ideas I should always keep in mind? I'm happy to take any sort of advice.
>>
>>32817879
I can't say too much, because I've only recently gotten back into writing my own self, but, if you're going to base your story off a game, if say it would probably be a good idea to play one or two through.

At least watch some decent YouTube playthrus.
>>
File: 1490379659354.png (21KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
1490379659354.png
21KB, 112x112px
>>32817879
>Topics that make me relevant for 600

These are games for kids, which means you will likely have to put together the pieces of realism puzzles that were intentionally left unfinished. Things like wild pokemon vs. civilized pokemon, how the both can exist at once, and how they interact is one such topic that you can exploit or end up being exploited by. A few more include the technology levels and diet, as well as the views on predatory behavior in a world where even the tiniest little bugs can speak. Team Tasty is actually one of my favorite rescue teams because it hints at this relationship of predator and prey and spites it regardless.

Also pay heed to what map you're writing on. Since Super, five main continents and several islands and island chains have been established. There are some places that we've just never seen before in the series. With a little elbow grease and research, you can fairly easily establish the geography of the area you're writing in by the overworld map and the dungeons that dot its landscape. I've personally used this resource a great deal in my writing to establish little refined details that nobody but me really cares about.

Don't be afraid of being dark, either. You don't have to make Madoka to subvert the magical girl genre with a little bit of heaviness, and the same goes for any genre. As with any advice I could give, I still recommend actually playing through most of the games to get a feel for what you want to do and how you want to do it. Things in GtI get pretty fucking savage.
>>
>>32817879
As someone who also plans on writing one, my advice is that keeping it entirely inline with the games is unnecessary. Unless you want it to be almost entirely like the games, that is. I found my story worked a lot better when I kept a certain tone in mind.

In my case, it's largely set in a spooky forest and all the Pokemon that appear in the story are tailored to it accordingly. If you want to have a bright, cheery story choose Pokemon that go along with that. I'm not too worried about following the PMD games very much, I'm mostly taking the core concept of 'everyone in the world is a Pokemon' and 'there are dungeons to explore'. Beyond that, it'd be an original world, with original characters.
>>
>>32815340
You've been so patient with this request, it's about time I finally do it. Writing it up now, hopefully I'll get it up soon.
>>
>>32818885
>hopefully I'll get it up soon
and he'll get it up immediately after
>>
>>32815273
>Requirements are 1) a voice box, 2) reasonably high intelligence, 3) some learning time. Easiest example is a Chatot.
And the actual physiology to imitate human speech. A Chatot can parrot things, mewtwo can use telepathy, some other mons may be able to mimic sounds that resemble human speech (ee4ee's flygon character vibrating his wings to produce word-like sounds) but I really don't think a luxray has the biology to come out and speak words.
>>
File: 1492965547975.jpg (70KB, 700x979px) Image search: [Google]
1492965547975.jpg
70KB, 700x979px
>>32815284
I'm a faggot so I really don't care about anyone's ages except for Moon and Guzma, whom you haven't listed. The MCs are canon 11, and I don't think Acerola would be their age personally. I headcanon Guzma to be in his mid to late 20s. I'm not sure what there is in-game to support that, but it seems the most likely to me.
>>
File: 1473975100612.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1473975100612.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>32817879
>>32818093
obligatory map posting
>>
File: 20110817.gif (62KB, 576x633px) Image search: [Google]
20110817.gif
62KB, 576x633px
>>32819007
Notice I said "voice" box. As in, used to produce a voice, rather than mere sound. The larynx's vocal chords would need to be developed enough to at minimum replicate human words. That's merely a threshold to be given quotation marks. I too doubt a Chatot would be able to use those taught words to deliberate esoteric matters of philosophy.
>>
>>32817879
>>32818093
>I still recommend actually playing through most of the games
Rescue and Explorers can be easily played now with emulation, plus they're really the best games to get into the series with. Seeing as how they were the first two.
>>
File: literally me.png (26KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
literally me.png
26KB, 240x160px
>>32819147
I 100% completed rescue back in the day. Only game I've ever really done that in.

>best theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qt_Z-qDCx4

Explorers and Rescue are the pokemon games I'm most nostalgic for, somehow, despite me having an order of magnitude more play time in Emerald and Plat.
>>
>>32819231
While I think Super failed in most areas compared to those two, they did have some great fuggin music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blge4fEHzoo
>>
File: 59030504_p0.jpg (1MB, 2150x2150px) Image search: [Google]
59030504_p0.jpg
1MB, 2150x2150px
>>32817879
I don't have much in the way of advice, but what I can tell you is that I agree with CamPane and Mimiga in the sense that you should probably play through at least one of the games, or watch one being played. That could help you get a feel for how the world is set up and what the rules are.

Also, like Mimiga said, the world has an established geography with lots of landmarks and towns, so you should bear that in mind when designing your setting. Or you can do what I've been trying to do in my PMD stories and invent an island just barely outside the borders of the canon world map, to give yourself more freedom.

Finally, while I agree with the idea that being "needlessly dark" is a bad thing, the games themselves actually have a tendency to be pretty dark and mature at times, so a little darkness in your story wouldn't be out of place. Just don't go overboard, of course.
>>
>>32818885
Wait are you that sexthehex fellow from months back?
If that's the case it's been a while, huh?
>>32815340
Forgot to add the following if it adds to the kink: and then the galvantula tries to impregnate her with multiple shocking rounds until she goes through cumflation
>>
File: donottemptmelikethissatan.png (49KB, 281x326px) Image search: [Google]
donottemptmelikethissatan.png
49KB, 281x326px
>>32819254
Imo Super improved the gameplay but did not fair as well in story. They're all great games either way.
>>
>>32819142
I feel it worth pointing out that birds don't have voice boxes as we do. Birds have an analogous structure called the Syrinx that functions quite differently, and that's partially why they have much broader vocal capabilities.
>>
>>32819295
Yup. Forgot my name last night. I've put a few spins on the idea and there probably won't be a galvantula to cum inflate poor Shauna at this point. Was probably going to do something more on the living insertion / ovi / birthing side of things. Is that a deal breaker?
>>
>>32819306
Learn something new every day.
But it does still produce a voice. Form is often ascribed to being a result of function (thanks modernity), yet function can follow form.
>>
>>32819348
Ovi is the egg thing, right? Go for it, as long as it's a shocking experience for her. Don't even mind if a few are born live
>>
>>32819306
but what do pokemon have when they are shaped like bird?
>>
>>32819503
I suppose that's up to the author.
>>
>>32819305

People always forget to bring up the true best game in the series. #gtifan4lyfe
>>
>>32819348
ovipositor? yessssss
>>
>>32819871
I see it as the middle ground, its still a fun game. To most though, its just not as strong as the other games, and i can see why.
dont fucking read the bottom if you haven't finished gates you niggers
i warned you. but the epilogue where you can choose to let the human stay in the human world makes it such a bittersweet/depressing ending to me, and that really seals the deal for me with that game
>>
>>32815299
>>32815340
>>32818885
>>32819348

Alrighty, smut's done! Changed the environment slightly since it made more sense for Shauna to go to a Joltik friend safari than Chargestone Cavern. Not super into electricity, but this felt really fun to write. Hope it's what you were hoping for!

https://pastebin.com/Mk8A9AnL

Premise: Shauna’s having a blast in Kiloude city. She loves Joltik and was looking forward to catching one in the Friend Safari but the facility’s closed for the night! Surely nothing bad will happen if she sneaks in to see one, right?

Contains: Trainer x Pokemon, Living Insertions, Pregnancy, Eggs, Birthing
>>
What are stories with decent combat?

Which ones do you think have good fights?
>>
>>32819871
>liking gates
Seriously?
>>
>>32794326
Tbh if I was a trainer IRL I'd only have 3 pokemons, I think it's the perfect number to bond with them
>>
File: Nya_aca6ae_6114045.jpg (24KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
Nya_aca6ae_6114045.jpg
24KB, 540x540px
>>32821890
>not being like ash and making a town's worth of friendship
>>
>>32821890
Ditto. The Pokemon actually. Not that I oppose your 3 Pokemon is a good number for bond formation. I'd like a chance to experience all that variety.
>>
Any fanfics about pokemon breeders dealing with their studs having instances of spaghetti?
>>
Quick question. Not really too muh related to writefaggotry, but

Am I the only one the ever wanted to see some god tier, fighting type kig of the Regis? Ice, steel, rock, normal. All four Regis share one common weekness. Wouldn't it make sense to have a fighting type to be some kind of master of the Regis? Maybe a being to keep the Regis power in check?

Someone write this for me.
>>
>>32822732
Yes, you are a snowflake.
>>
File: 1488596396355.png (1MB, 1800x1900px) Image search: [Google]
1488596396355.png
1MB, 1800x1900px
Short chapter quick update

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18NW7M-4Iq6SqJqX_RmiUB8xcIysEpLRaBqOnuUZ_PEM/edit?usp=sharing
>>
Ok! So I finally finished my little one off 'cute fluff' story about my trainer at the park with his Pokemon. This is really just a quick, rough draft of a story, not anything to be taken too seriously. It's segmented, kind of focusing on each Pokemon one at a time to get a feel for their individual personal and such.

As far as my main story goes, I've been talking with an anon via the ol' email about my characters and plot and such. I've decided to find a happy medium, still going with the general idea of my original plot, but much more toned down. Ill probably start working on it later this week. It'll be a series, so I'll be writing it episodically. Definitely a work on progress. But I'm excited. This is something I've been putting off doing for ages because or irl issues, but I'll be damned if it doesn't feel good to actually be starting.

Anyways. Here's the link to my fluff piece. I can lay out the character and Pokemon personalities and traits, if anyone wants.

>>
>>32823215
I should also point out that my mcs team IS a Pokemon harem, and I do plan on writing some trainer x pokemon erotica on the side. The erotica will be about the character from my story, but it'll be written as sort of stand alone scenarios. Like, the story and the smut can be read independently from one another. Or as a whole. Either way.
>>
>>32823215
I remain concerned; your concept was not one with which compromise might be found easily. What are you planning?
>>
File: pmd.jpg (92KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
pmd.jpg
92KB, 400x240px
>>32817879

Having read a shitton of PMD stories and written some myself I'd like to think I can say pretty definitively what are the different kinds of categories for these fics that end up being popular:

1. Ship fics (usually hero x partner)
2. Fics the directly recreate the events in one the games, with significant shipping attached
3. High effort/unusually creative stories

I personally tend to stick with only reading the third category, and as a writer I suggest you do the same unless maintaining the highest possible favorites count/time invested ratio is your number one priority. If want to spend the time to make a story that actually isn't mass produced dreck, I recommend trying to start by analyzing the strengths and the weaknesses of the PMD canon and lore in how it applies to fanfiction.

The biggest strength in writing PMD fics, in my opinion, is that the basic plot setup the series gives is very solid. Every PMD game features a human transformed into a Pokemon, encountering an exotic and alien society, learning from their culture and eventually returning the favor by saving them from some sort of horrific world destroying menace. The "average Joe learns to connect with a group of outsiders and ends up helping them" story premise is a tried and tested one and has inherent audience appeal. If it wasn't popular, Dances with Wolves and Avatar wouldn't have made a bazillion dollars at the movies and we wouldn't have stories like Heart of Darkness still being read today. There's no reason a video game, or a fanfic for that matter, can't make the same setup work.

The biggest weakness the PMD lore has is that the games themselves make little attempt to analyze many of the social and ethical issues that would make such a society interesting. Here's some of what I'm talking about:
>>
-Does predation exist in the PMD world? If it does, how does it affect relations between sentient predator/prey Pokemon living in the same towns? What if the protagonist themselves is a predator, and is forced to convince themselves that it's okay to eat a Pokemon that can talk back?
-What is the structure of government and whatever primitive forms of law enforcement used by these societies? Who chooses who is in charge? Is there some sort of overarching authority that directs laws across entire regions/continents or forces the Rescue Guilds to abide by certain standards?
-How does the protagonist come to terms with viewing their partner, and the other Pokemon around them, as friends rather than pets? How do they adjust to losing basic human body functions and gaining physical abilities that they have Are they traumatized by the sudden awareness that they've lost long-held sense of self and human identity?
-How do they deal with losing not only their former home but to their family and friends as well?
-What prevents people from abusing the bounty/rescue mission system to hire teams to beat up "criminals" who are really just territorial rivals or competing merchants?

You could write a whole story about any one of these topics, and when you start really getting into creating your own lore details and exploring how these issues are brought up you'll have enough potential plot hooks that you don't even need the traditional "transformed human goes on an adventure" story setup. As I said before, having this setup easily available is one of the series biggest strengths when it comes to fanfiction- especially when you're starting out- but if you're willing to build on areas of the lore that the games themselves don't put much detail into there's plenty of great stories you could write that avoid the traditional setup entirely. Popular PMD fics that avoid the traditional story setup like Power Trip and Silver Resistance are evidence of this.
>>
>>32794554
Really more like digimon, honestly, despite Pokemon being the actual origin. Everyone typically has one, except for some super special people who have two.
>>
File: 779859194.png (70KB, 399x640px) Image search: [Google]
779859194.png
70KB, 399x640px
>>32823215
>L1
Between actually saying "kick back and relax" and the capitalization of Summer, we're not off to a strong start. You've set the scene and soaked it in cliche.

>L2 - 11
Needless. We're reading Pokemon fanfiction for a reason. No one here is confused or new.

>L13 - 15
Adverbs are as needed, not as desired. If you have to be brief, use one, if you have the ability to show, do that instead. Also these paragraphs are still wildly uninteresting - from L1 to now we have no real sense of cohesion, just blocks of text setting up things that could be better shown over over how you've elected to simply dump the information for us.

>L17
Finally, a paragraph that sounds like the lead into to something. Cut from L1 all the way up to this particular point, condense it into a two sentence setup for the scene and get a move on. Why? Because L17 is where action actually occurs. I've read this far solely because I am critiquing the work, not because I am compelled.

Consider:

"The sun was shining, a breeze carried in the air, and Cam was soaking up a lazy afternoon in a way that only the life of a wandering, mellow Trainer could afford him. He heard a plop and snapped out of his reverie in time to see some of the ice cream his Gardevoir was eating splattered on the ground and hear her soft whine break the silence."

From 724 to 68, but now we can [show] the reader all the things Cam you wanted to say. Just my suggestion however, and one you can refuse if you desire.
>>
File: rOvtKoL.jpg (58KB, 499x496px) Image search: [Google]
rOvtKoL.jpg
58KB, 499x496px
>>32823691
>"kick back and relax"

ishygddt
>>
>>32802673
>>The sun was shining brightly.
>Passive voice
That's not passive voice. Passive voice would be something like "the bright light was being emitted by the sun."
>>
>>32823691
I didn't go back and cut anything, yet. I know the first bit was a bit of a clusterfuck. I'll go back and cut on some of the more needless excess at some point.
>>
>>32823951
Let's dissolve this one:
OP:
>The sun was shining brightly.
Adjusting the tense a little:
>The sun shone brightly.
Hemingway:
>The sun shone.
What the author is offering to communicate to readers:
>Sunny day.

I stand corrected in jargon: telling a dull fact may not be by-definition "passive voice" for want of additional forms of "be" padding for even greater length. But it's an awful way to handshake a new reader, and it's weak for the same reason as passive voice: the reader envisions the actor instead of the action.

Again, even "It was a dark and stormy night" offers two adjectives that imply some degree of threat; this sentence offers as visuals one adverb riding in the caboose.

I once wrote a script to scan for stinky sentences. The presence of "was" is one of the rules, because those often are passive or otherwise weak expressions, and thus deserve a second, "Are you sure that can't be made a little better?" look.
>>
>>32824380
So "it was a bright, sunny summer day" would be a better formed sentence?

As far as the over-detailing, I think my problem there was that I don't do a lot of fan fiction writing, my last two works were completely original stories, and one was set in a ye olde fantasy, lord of the rings type work, so it wasn't like anyone but me knew about the creatures I was writing about. I actually got a lot of compliments on how I "painted a mental picture with words" (that was probably the best compliment I ever got), BUT, I also got my fare share of getting told that I re-exlained things a little too often, or got so caught up in describing something that I sort of forgot to point out why the characters were even there or what was going on. Oops.

Since I'm writing fanfic material for a target group that already knows about the content my story is based off of, I have to remember to relax a little bit.

I also need to work on where one thought ends and the next begins. I'm always second guessing myself self when I start a new paragraph. Do I end it here? Does this line have more to do with the last line or is it an entirely new though? Or stopping mid paragraph to add dialog, instead of breaking and starting a new line for it. Oh, writing. You so crazy.
>>
>>32824483
>So "it was a bright, sunny summer day" would be a better formed sentence?
It's a better way to introduce a reader to the scene, but it's still lame, akin to one of novice writing's most tired cliches.

I gave you a sample of how I would approach your first shot, and you claimed to have "duly noted" all three parts of my post that contained said sample. I claim not that my writing style is optimal nor that it should be emulated—especially since my writing isn't good enough to achieve any measure of popularity, only particular noteworthiness—but you already know what I would consider to be a more efficient way to get a reader imagining the scene visually and likely you too can find a better way to introduce your reader to Youstillhaven'tgivenitaname Park than "The sun's out. Flowers are adding bonuses."
Paragraphs end when their purpose in the story has been served. If you don't know what your paragraph's purpose is, you're rambling.

"Rambling" well describes everything in your first draft from the first statement to the moment when Gardevoir receives replacement ice cream, which is why I offered a worked critique of it, that you duly noted. Once you got busy with two characters interacting, your narrator stopped stalling for time by wandering off into world-building reminders for those who just tuned in.
Painting mental pictures is important, and not tiring your reader with repetition is, too, but the critical part is delivering details in the right doses and at the right times.
>>
File: -.jpg (91KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
-.jpg
91KB, 500x500px
>>32817933
>>32818093
>>32819147
>>32819264
Oh wow, I am really surprised by all of the support I have got. I feel a whole lot more confident about writing this thing with all of this advice. Wish I could be able to reply to everybody, but I'm still happy with the responses regardless. Thanks so much!

>>32818512
That's what I want to do. I want for it to have more of a twist compared to the PMD plotlines, but I still want to keep the core concepts of a Pokemon world and dungeons to explore.

The basic plot for my fanfic is that two Pokemon team up to uncover a secret about the future, but both have conflicting morals and are pathetically weak at the beginning, even though they're both fully evolved. It also deconstructs the concept of moves and abilities. Mine's a little closer to the PMD plotlines, but I'm always changing things left and right.

>>32819132
This is super helpful for me. I always have an idea of my fanfic having different continents to explore and the main characters adapting to new places, so I'll make sure to save this for future reference.

>>32823387
>>32823401
That's some really interesting advice. I definitely want for the main characters to encounter and help different kinds of Pokemon and unraveling more secrets about the world. But does the main character transforming into a Pokemon make a PMD fanfic any better or worse? It's such a staple to the games and fanfics, but neither of my two main characters are transformed humans.

Lore is probably my most favorite thing when it comes to writing this fanfic, because like you said, the PMD lore is kind of weak and it usually takes a few ideas to really flesh it out. Heck, the second example you listed is one story idea I have that's important for one of the character's from my fanfic. Although sometimes I feel like I add too much of it to a point where I realise most of it is pointless to the main plot. When it comes to adding my own lore, when do you think enough is enough?
>>
>>32824595
Hey, don't make fun of Noname Park.

I really am taking into account what you and other anons say, and am trying to make adjustments here and there accordingly. As of this very second, I've gone back, delete half a dozen or more of the first paragraphs, and am rewriting them in a easier to read fashion. I wanted to get done with it before I went back and started making any big changes, otherwise I would have gotten to wrapped up making changes, I'd have never gotten done.

The park and it's constituents are intentionally left vague because it's just a one off story that doesn't happen anywhere specific at any specific time. When the where, when and why aren't important to the story itself, there's no reason to explain it.

Says the guy who spend multiple entire paragraphs describing Pokemon that everyone already knows..

I dunno. Maybe you and I enjoy reading things written in different ways. I've read half a library worth of books, and I try to emulate the writing style of the authors who's stories I enjoy reading the most. One of my favorites has always been Terry Goodkind, and his Sword of Truth fantasy series. Dude goes into exquisite detail in all his stories. Sometimes it take half a page or more just to set up a scene. Me personally, I like that sort of thing. I know some people don't. I'm trying to find a balance. I asked for critique, you're giving it, please don't think that I don't appreciate that. I am by no means a professional author, I'm still.learninf as I go. This isn't even my final form, so to speak. Like a potter, I'll do a little work, and if I don't like it, I'll mush it down and reword it until I do. At the same time, I have to keep in mind that this is my story, I'm writing it, and just because some people dont like the way it's written, it doesn't mean other people won't love it. Can't please everyone body. I just want to be happy myself with what I'm writing.

Am I making any sense? If I'm not, please ignore me.
>>
>>32820889
OR, a shame about the missing galvantula, but the story came out pretty darn awesome. Electric play is a bit of an obscure kink of mine, but I believe you captured it very well. Pokemon Egg mystery continues.. I think it was worth the wait. Thanks man
>>
>>32824483
>Sunny Day
A good rule is to just never open a scene on the weather. It's almost always either too narrow or too broad to properly establish the scene.

> I'm always second guessing myself self when I start a new paragraph.
A sentence is to a paragraph what a paragraph is to a chapter what a chapter is to a story. Each should encompass only a single thought but be as long as necessary to detail said thought. If you're consciously thinking about where your paragraphs start and end, you're likely overriding your more-accurate instincts on the matter; surely you don't need to think about when you start or stop SENTENCES, right? Just let it flow.
>>
>>32825142
>Maybe you and I enjoy reading things written in different ways.
Quite possible. I was the kid who read textbooks and encyclopedias for pleasure. Literature was often a drag when 2 cm of pages struggled to describe some boring stranger eventually doing a thing at the end when as many pages could describe everything I may care to know about chemistry or astrophysics or the manufacturing processes of metal casting, machining, and wire making. I know somewhere in my pile of stuff I've a box of paperback novels, likely romance titles, too. Perhaps someday I should look at them and see if my head explodes.

I suppose that's a question that my feedback has never answered, if my writing style gives an impression of "educated layman" faire over pop lit, telling a story not as a windy walk through a dreamt fantasy, but rather as something to be experienced and understood through the reading itself. Or from the other side, if people who appreciate my work are also people who are technical-manual-compatible readers. But it's probably just accidental clicks and tag luring that I'm ever read at all, and any apparent correlation is noise in the sample.

>I'm trying to find a balance.
My means is to avoid "bad" habits when they are easily avoided/rectified, but when passive sentences and plot back-fills and pronouns that are cataphors are the most direct means—or when the lame way is the way I'd speak it were I telling my story orally—I will let it stand and fret not. At least until doing a big review pass, when I might be struck by a wholly better way. :)

>I just want to be happy myself with what I'm writing.
The highest of goals.
>>
>>32826150
I know, but it's also the simplest way to start he simplest stories. One off about a day at the park? You get the "sunny day" opening. Actual chapter of plotted story? You're going to get a opening narrative that explains the why's and what's about what's going on.

>>32826184
Oh, yeah. The Goodkind guy I mentioned has a habit of taking an entire paragraph or two to describe a character that gets killed on the very next page. But, I like that, because it helps my imagination really create a detailed scene. Like, when I read, it's almost as if I'm actually watching a movie in my head of what's happening on the words in the book. And that's how I write. I stop, Invision the scene in my mind as if I were watching it as an episode on TV, and then write it as if I weren't writing what I was seeing as it happened.

Again, I have to keep reminding myself that I'm writing about a world and characters that most people that will read this story already know about.

Latest update, I trimmed several paragraphs from the entire first segment, removed a lot of redundant explanations and metaphors, and general tried to make it easier to read.

https://pastebin.com/zCVH0Wwz
>>
Ohhhhh, my dog.
I got two excellent stories in Spanish...but I hadn't developed a form to translate this in an accurate form. Oh. I'm so sad and depressed.
>>
File: 1473692646621.gif (2MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
1473692646621.gif
2MB, 540x304px
>>32827826
best option would be to post it in spanish on ff and/or ao3, i know they support multiple languages. There's plenty of spanish fans as well, i'm sure you'll eventually find a good translator.
>>
I want to write something that serves as an analogy for someone who has to experience all the crazy changes and new things to pokemon since Gen 1, but I have no idea how to make it fit with in-universe without it sounding too retarded or where to start exactly. Any ideas?
>>
>>32828298
>someone who has to experience all the crazy changes and new things
Someone just got let out of jail and is trying to re-integrate to a world that moved on without them
>>
>>32828379
Nice.

"Last time I was a free man, Magnaton didn't evolve!"

Also, random thing I was thinking about earlier today. Do any of you writefags ever address "the war"? You know, the one Surge mentions and all. They're need to give us some more insight on that one of these days.
>>
>>32828427
I have a former Army character, but I haven't mentioned the war. There's a big ol' piece of hardware from it as a background detail in the story I'm currently writing, however
>>
>>32828298
>since Gen 1
How about Bill being unified with a pokemon wasn't the first time it happened, but when Bill got his lab assistant combined, he shoved him into PC storage till he figured out what went wrong and how to fix it (hence the game canon event). Later, when Bill is "checking out his rare pokemon," he finds out that $PLOTMECHANIC caused him to lose track of the right one. Many gens pass, and finally Bill gets the right one back, separates the entities, and now Assistant has to both get up to speed with the new world but optionally also deal with having been a storaged pokemon. (Do they have a simulated experience there? Can they socialize? Would he be familiar with new pokemon but only through the network? Or you can just decline that option and make it a defrost from cold storage, a la Sleeper et cetera.)

Or, maybe he's accidentally traded off, eventually gets extracted and used as a pokemon, and would be living a pokemon's life, trying to find a way to get back to (at?) Bill, and who knows what other fun stuff. If you don't have talking pokemon in your fics, this would be a canonical exception to play with, too.

>>32828427
>Do any of you writefags ever address "the war"?
It's tricky since by virtue of being "American," the war of which he speaks is unclear, and even if we accept Isshu/Unova as equivalent, there isn't much to work with except the conflict that involved the swordsmon, and GF didn't make much effort to establish (or disqualify) that. One can always make something up, but I don't think there's enough canon material to cut much of a garment from.
>>
>>32828505
I planned on having the main antagonist of my story have been a young sold during "the war". What he experienced during that time will have affected his views and caused him to be doing the things he's doing modern day. But it'll still only be referred to as "the war", since there's no clear canon info on it.
>>
File: 1471083444769.gif (1MB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
1471083444769.gif
1MB, 320x213px
>>32806113
>no detail is worlds better than too much detail
What?
Don't learn from the thread then, cancer place.
>>
>>32826400
Do what'cha wanna do, at the end of the day we're just shitposting to you with advice, take it with a grain of salt and see if its necessary to what you want to make or not.
>>
>>32828955
Best advice given in weeks
>>
>>32828955
I mean we all start somewhere, most of the time as badly as possible. But when improving you gotta take to mind whether the advice given to you is actually helping you improve or just changing the theme to something that isnt you.
>>
File: 1271640613337.jpg (18KB, 480x359px) Image search: [Google]
1271640613337.jpg
18KB, 480x359px
Looks like this thread has been moving along pretty quickly compared to the last one.

>>32794256
>TotT: How well do you balance humor in your writing, if at all?

I have no idea. Anything that could be described as humor are a few crude jokes made in passing by some characters. I don't recall any time I've set out to specifically write anything humorous.

Also, a lot of PMD discussion going on lately. As someone who only barely started Explorers of Sky and never finished it, what's the big appeal to that end of pokemon? It's just never hooked me.
>>
Guys. I wanna write about a trainer that uses a Lopunny that's always in it's mega form. What kind of plot device could I use to explain away a Pokemon that is stuck in it's mega form? How different are mega form handled in the anime compared to the once per battle and on during battle u the games?
>>
>>32830549
No idea about the anime's portrayal of it, but:
>the lopunny swallowed the Lopunnite
>new device/accessory that gives 100% perfect/constant synchronization with mega stone without keystone
>research in megas has progressed to the point of making megas 100% permanent steps in pokemon evolution, making megastones essentially new evolutionary stones
>Mega Evolutions are now held-item form changes and last as long as they're worn/held

Just off the top of my head.
>>
>>32794256
what might be some dumb 'lore' you would add to the poke-verse? Whether for a story or if you were somehow officially put in charge?

One thing that crops up in my head is:
>In Hoenn, Rayquaza is often associated as a keeper of balance, also because of this, Hoennites have long mistook or misassociated Rayquaza and Xygarde as one in the same, giving it the title of 'The Equinox Dragon' or the 'Paradox Serpent'
>>
>>32830595
Good ideas, I like em.

I wish they'd have just made the mega form of Pokemon that only had two stages a solid third stage. Oddly enoigh, mega lop is really the only mega I really like.
>>
>>32830549
Research into causing mega-evolution has succeeded, though at a significant price. Reduced life-expectancy, a tendency to fly into bloodthirsty rampages in combat, degenerating physical condition or mental state - whatever you think would balance what is effectively a very strong shot in the arm and could potentially drive a plot forward, tragic ending optional.

>>32830645
Sometimes I wonder what kind of effect anything I've been cooking up for Homunculus would cause, and the results would be nothing short of total fuckery, so I don't think I would add much in the way of lore outside of making the way in which crime and criminal syndicates are dealt with more serious.
>>
>>32830681
Homunculus?
>>
>>32830645
>Humans invent shit while they are in the pokemon world in PMD
>>
Fellow fictioniers and fictioniestas. I'm going to bed. May all your dreams be full of brilliant ideas . Good night.
>>
>>32830738
The name of the series that ACPC, EH, etc. belong to.
>>
File: 1489860055840.jpg (62KB, 366x368px) Image search: [Google]
1489860055840.jpg
62KB, 366x368px
>>32830645
To be honest I view legendaries as irrelevant bystanders. They aren't as strong and world-altering as the dex claims they are in my stories. Yes, they can do a few cool things in battle if challenged and have more stamina than common pokemon, however I have a problem with regis shaping continents for instance. That's fucking bullshit. So to answer your query, many of the dex entries are inferred as really dumb, stupid lore.
>>
File: 1480788929304.jpg (81KB, 624x480px) Image search: [Google]
1480788929304.jpg
81KB, 624x480px
Never checked out this thread before cause I figured I'd get btfo for being a Pokéshipper.

Anyway you guys got anything good Poméshippy or just your best of the best idc what. Just want to read something good.
>>
>>32831776
There's a fic catalog in the OP you can look through

What sort of things are you interested in?
>>
>>32830645
Define 'dumb' lore?
>>
>>32833764
too fantastic for his own head canon
>>
>>32831776
I wrote a quick trainer x primarina last week. I'm working on a trainer x harem story at the moment. What exactly are you interested it?
>>
>>32831776
Don't be intimidated m8. You're in good company. Almost everything I write is pokeshipping.
>>
>>32828427
It's obviously world war II, regardless of GF's modern retconning bullshit.
>>
>>32826184
Your issue is that you believe stories are experiences instead of stories.
>>
File: 754235.jpg (66KB, 600x508px) Image search: [Google]
754235.jpg
66KB, 600x508px
>>32834424
>implying they're not

Anon, I'm disappointed in you. A good story can be the most amazing experience anyone can have.

Stop being such a cynic, it's too commonplace these days.
>>
>>32834334
No, it had to be the vietnam war or the gulf war. Surge would be a fucking grandpa if he fought in WWII.
The old pokemon games took place after the SNES was released, isn't that what's in Red's room?
>>
>>32834424
Dude, no. Stories are worlds that authors fit in between the pages of a book. If you've never gotten lost in a story, you've never really read. Come on, anon, live!
>>
>>32834424
+1 for enlightenment. I shoot most of my scenes over my characters' shoulders. Camp describes a different directing method, one that either I personally disfavor enough not to fall into, or one that I've been blind to.

>>32834593
You're describing reading as an experience, but that's different from the story as an experience as >>32834424
recognized.
>>
>>32835166
>You're describing reading as an experience, but that's different from the story as an experience

Sure as hell ain't. Reading is just a way to experience story.
>>
>>32831785
Nice I'll check it.
And don't really know, got nothing specific in mind.

>>32834005
Nice, got a paste?
And again, nothing specific. Lewd isn't necessary, but I'm definitely not against it kek.
I guess maybe just some of the most enjoyed stories?

>>32834323
Sweet, what your paste?
>>
>>32835456
Tinyurl com/camfiction

Add the dot. Google drive folder with various stuff. Park story is non erotic, there's one I just started working on, and then the one that I mentioned earlier.
>>
>>32835456
https://pastebin.com/u/Suwa

Not a smart decision to use my OCs in smut. I'll just say this stuff isn't canon to anything I'll write in the future.
>>
>>32836506
>using your OCs for smut
>implying noncanon
>>
>>32836506
doesn't matter what you say, they fucked
readers will read knowing they might fuck more
canon not canon doesn't matter, it means they get to first time fuck more than once
>>
>>32836506
>Not a smart decision to use my OCs in smut.
I concur.
>>
>>32836506
>>32836746
Anon's right; even if the event isn't canon, you've shown that it's in-charaacter for them to consider it.
>>
>>32836506
>not doing an about face from smut into relationship dynamics and workplace politics
>>
>>32837479
>implying I'm not
>>
>>32837597
Good man.
>>
>>32836506
It's not a good idea to make smut of your OCs canon? Well fuck me sideways. If it was any more canon for my OCs, they be fired from pirate ships.
>>
>>32838446
It's not that it's a bad idea, it's that you should be well aware of what it implies about them.
>>
>>32838515
That.. he fugs his waifus?
>>
>>32838707
That he waifu's his pokemon.

This really is a self-insert for you, isn't it?
>>
>>32839011
campane's OC is named cam
i dunno
>>
>>32838707
It implies alot of things, entirely dependent on who the characters are and what they do.

Why are Johannes and Viola a thing?
A variety of reasons, from easy to explain (dating, eventually married) to complex to explain (pokephilia/anthrophilia and sexual deviance.)

When you have people consummate a relationship, you should be aware that if they're going to appear in other works, it is with that history in the mind of the reader. I didn't go back in time with Jo and Viola and detail everything about their initial wanderings because: 1) I didn't want to, 2) I'd already established them at a point in their history and intended to only move forward.

Consider you have a piece of smut floating freely in the air between A and B, and then another piece of serious work involving those same characters that you wrote after and published after. There is a degree of expectation that they are together, or were together, or _something_ because of the existence of that smut. You write a work where they're not, but you also say, "Well the smut is not canonical," then it doesn't necessarily cause people to wipe the smut from their memory and they may continue to read the work with that lens in place, and that colors their perception of the work and the characters.

There's also the fact that he or she is a pokephile now and their pokemon is...something. That's a big can of worm to open up, and an involved can too, if you intend to make your work serious and not wish fulfillment.
>>
>>32838446
My meaning is that at least one of those characters doesn't exist in my canon anymore. The smut wouldn't happen under any circumstance because the two individuals will never meet. My decision to use their names instead of making up randos was distasteful.
>>
File: tumblr_oqbwzvnZ8v1urgomdo1_1280.png (206KB, 1162x748px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oqbwzvnZ8v1urgomdo1_1280.png
206KB, 1162x748px
Is there any good stories involving banging a nidoqueen?
ConcreteStaircase has me thirsty for them.
>>
>>32839744
write us one!
tell us how you would make your nidoqueen wife feel like the most special dino bunny ever hatched
>>
>>32840295
Alas now she can't make eggs through breeding.
>>
>>32830380
>what's the big appeal to that end of pokemon?
I think a major part is that it's very different from the main series, so it's like a breath of fresh air. It's a completely different genre; it's set in a new world; its gimmick of letting you play as a human turned into a Pokemon is unique; and its plots tend to be deeper, as well as more mature and emotional, than those of the main series. Plus, all those examples can be appealing on their own merits, beyond just making PMD different than the main series.
At least, that's how I see it.

>>32839716
You can always just change the names, assuming you haven't already. That would solve the problem.
>>
>>32841106
I'll likely change them tomorrow. Hopefully they'll fade from people's memory quickly enough.
>>
File: 1461803468547.png (107KB, 625x468px) Image search: [Google]
1461803468547.png
107KB, 625x468px
>>32841218
I won't forget.
>>
File: pmd.jpg (550KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pmd.jpg
550KB, 1920x1080px
>>32841106
>and its plots tend to be deeper, as well as more mature and emotional

This desu famalam. The main series games have only now, with sun and moon, started to even approach the pmd games when it comes to emotional connections to characters and the plot.

>>32830380 If sky didn't grab you, try one of the other ones. I'd recommend giving rescue a go, even just on an emulator. I understand if it's the gameplay you don't like, but you're missing out on some damn wonderful stories.
>>
>>32839011
>This really is a self insert for you, isn't it?

Not really. His appearance, personality, his entire character is grossly different from myself. It's quite the opposite. I've created this character over he years of playing Pokemon. He's my go-to character when I play now, instead of 'self inserting'.

Just uses the same Pokemon I use in game. And fugs them.
>>
>>32839744
there is one, but it's a greentext.
NSFW
http://pastebin.com/HifvycLf

That reminds me, anyone that has made a story please do submit it into the catalog so that there's more browsing options for anons

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PtN4D_9CSw8JJ9uO6v0oQqdtKEkS8aFAvfxqI96XfSE/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>32842624
Sfw, nsfw, both?
>>
>>32842757
Anything goes as long as you're the author. Do label your fic though
>>
File: 54366550_p0.jpg (451KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
54366550_p0.jpg
451KB, 1024x1024px
lazy friday bump
>>
>>32840295
>>32840368
This could actually make for a touching bittersweet story if done right.
>>
I have some notes and references for a DPPt fic but they're so full of autism
>>
>>32846155
The one of the first steps of writing any story is trimming the good ideas from the bad.

Gotta start somewhere.
>>
>>32846233
Yeah, I guess. Here are some of the least autist ones:

>Lucas is the childhood friend of Barry, but the true protagonist is Dawn. Johanna is the mom of Lucas

>Dawn becomes the youngest (female) champion. This title is only taken by Moon (from another universe), 7 years later.

>Rowan was previously a trainer and champion of the Sinnoh league, just like Oak in Kanto. The first reference to this is when he gives the Return TM.

>When she becomes champion, Dawn actually stays on the throne, while Cynthia travels other regions. Three years later on BW, she's visiting Caitlin. Same as Brendan/Steven

>Cynthia has some kind of past with Cyrus
>>
>>32846331
I've always been partial to Dawn as the champion, so that doesn't strike me as autistic. Post some of your worse ones.
>>
>>32846600

>Dawn has some characteristics of a dandere and is a shy girl. She tends to speak in a polite tone (desu in japanese, search for something similar) and is easily embarassed.

>The reason why Lucas is forced to travel with her is because Rowan and her father were not sure if she could make it on her own on the outside world. Kind of overprotective. They start being very awkward with each other, but they eventually grow very close. Johanna dons the dress she used on her last contest as a coordinator to Dawn on her first contest. She secretly ships Lucas and her.

>Cynthia buys the piano for the villa and plays it when bored. The piano music before you meet her is actually her playing it on an mp3 to give her a dramatic entrance. (Comedy relief)

>Cynthia sometimes passes by the villa when bored and helps Dawn pick furniture. They sometimes watch romantic movies or chick flicks, much to Lucas and Barry’s dismay.

>Her relationship with Cynthia is that of an older sister and best friend. Some of Cynthia’s interactions may make it seem like she’s a lesbian and yuribait, but it isn’t like that.

>[if you actually go that route] she easily befriends the girls, meeting them at the PWT. May and Leaf especially, she has lots of moments with these two. She and Hilda share in each other’s pains of having small breasts, often blushing and gritting their teeth on beach or pool with May, Leaf and Rosa Rosa is a fan. Kris shares her reading habit with her, while Lyra often sticks around. “Dane” is used only a few times, just because Lyra doesn’t remember her name.

>That route is, some kind of Movie 18 shit were I take the implication and teory from SM that the Ultra Beasts destroyed the non mega universe. Legendaries and shit, Arceus reboots the universe and this results in the Mega evolution one, with XY. Some of the people escape (Anabel, Looker, Cynthia) but their memories from before aren't there

That route is full of autism
>>
Question

WHAT do you guys write on/with? Pc, tablet, paper? What programs do you use to do your writing? What apps/programs would you recommend for a new writer who's only ever used Microsoft Worst?
>>
>>32847779
Paper, then literally just Notepad .txt documents that I format with basic-ass html and copy-paste directly into the hosting site.

Words are easy,
>>
>>32847779
I like google-docs. It lets me edit the same document from my computer and phone without any extra effort.
>>
File: chimecho explores the cosmos.png (255KB, 752x529px) Image search: [Google]
chimecho explores the cosmos.png
255KB, 752x529px
>>32847779
Usually LibreOffice, sometimes Docs if I intend to do live edits or have finished the chapter and want to work on live-edits.
>>
>>32847779
I always write on my PC, but I sometimes jot down ideas and notes and such on my tablet. As for what program I write with, I've only ever used Word. It gets the job done.
>>
>>32847779
Split between my PC and tablet for actual writing, and i'll jot down ideas in my phone if I'm away from home.

For programs I started out using WORD, but now I use Scrivener, which is a paid writing program. If you have the spare money to invest, I recommend it.
>>
File: 1456808766898.png (647KB, 1566x881px) Image search: [Google]
1456808766898.png
647KB, 1566x881px
>>32847779
Paper for my drafts. Fond of supplementing that with graph paper to draw timelines and map out character relations (e.g. who knows who and how) because I'm a visual person. Then I type it on M$ Word.
>>
>>32847779
On my pc and phone I use word, but it's becoming inconvenient because fanfiction websites like to act as if it's not the most used word processor on the planet and only half-support its formatting.
>>
>>32848784
this
only use word because it was an education gift, its starting to become obtrusive to me
>>
RIP thread
>>
>>32849942
Another good thread bites the dust.
>>
>>32849988
YES, IT WORKEDEKROW TI ,SEY
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.