[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

remind me why do people want gyms instead of trials in ultra

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: mao.png (87KB, 201x216px) Image search: [Google]
mao.png
87KB, 201x216px
remind me why do people want gyms instead of trials in ultra sun and ultra moon again?
>>
>>32772890
I don't want either of those. But is Pokémon and Gyms are faster to complete.
>>
>>32772890
Gyms give more experience.
>>
>>32772890
I personally want both
>>
>>32772909
me2
>>
I want both. But no reason to take trails out. It's an aloha thing
>>
>>32772890
Stockholm syndrome.
>>
>>32772890
I want the mechanics of Trials worked into gyms.
>>
We had trials in SM, now it's gyms turn.
>>
>>32772890
I want the mechanics of gyms worked into Trials
>>
So they can mantain that the game it's different form sun and moon
>>
Trials were fun, but were too easy and relied too much on being quirky and funny. They got old very quickly. At least Gyms offered more battles.

But I'd like a hybrid of both. Like you do a shitty little Trial quest, then you face the Captain to see if you're ready to face the Totem.
>>
>>32772890

Because of Pokémon Badges
>>
>>32772946
>Trials were fun, but were too easy and relied too much on being quirky and funny.
The battles against some totems were, for me, harder than many gym leaders.
If you're talking about the lack of puzzles then yeah.
>>
File: 1496727388978.jpg (199KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496727388978.jpg
199KB, 1280x720px
>>32772890
Just give Alola gym leaders trial Pokemon and more than 3 Pokemon. And now gyms are a bit more challenging than they ever were
>>
Trials are just shitty gyms. Totem battles were fun for being challenging but there is no reason gym can't be challenging in the same way.
>>
Because now that they have an elite four, they should follow the standard 8 badge entry requirements.

At least I assume that's why.
>>
>>32772890
Times change OP, the old world needs to be left behind in the march of time & progress only fools want things to stay in the old ways, they are nothing but children much like trials,captains even the Kahuna even they need to be left behind for they have no place in this world of Pokemon battles.
>>
>>32772890
i like both, gyms were cool in the sense that they had these crazy visuals and designs to represent their themes, but most of the time they were pretty annoying in the sense that they forced you to fight trainers to ''solve'' the puzzles which most of the time were just ''click this button to turn on this or switch that, so in the end, they feel really all too much same-y.
I love trials and how they feel like more adventure oriented scenarios, and the totem pokemon were pretty cool and even really menacing, but the fact that in the late game when you have a stronger team and it's easier to one shot things, most of the totem encounters become pretty easy i doubt anyone lost any pokemon to Kommo-o stop them from being a real challenge.
I would be totally fine if we had both in USM, but if i had to choose, i would pick trials
>>
>>32772969
The Totems were fun. I prefer Gym Leaders, but the Totems were a great addition.

The puzzles/lacktherof weren't a problem, since those are just annoying distractions in most Gyms. It's just that I hate how most of the trials try to be funny or goofy.
>>
>>32772916
made me kek
>>
>>32772890
Because trials were basically just a bunch of little silly activities rather than fully fleshed out puzzles

Also the difficulty of totem battles really never came close to battles against full teams imo
>>
File: you spin me round round round.webm (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
you spin me round round round.webm
2MB, 500x500px
they can do gyms for the xp and dosh, and have trials as dungeons on the side for added fun.

It can be AB, no reason there has to be just A or B
>>
I love badges, and since the Gym Leaders will be returning characters they won't be forgettable like the Kalos ones.
>>
>>32772890
All I want is a nice story and solid double battles, like colosseum. No need for gyms and trials imo.
>>
>>32773291
I'd love to have Gyms and Trials replaced with tournaments or Colosseum fights. It has the prestige of importance and professionalism Gyms have, and could be more challenging.
>>
Trials were just Gyms outside at best and heavily dumbed down Gyms at worst, switching to Gyms would confirm eight new Gyms instead of the exact same shit you played last year or just a few new Trials which may even replace the two decent ones, hell probably will. Also scripted Trainers can have more to them than the Wild encounters that make up Trials.

Only thing worth salvaging is Totems, but there are tons of ways to implement them otherwise.
>>
What is the difference between trials and gyms
>>
>>32773489
in trials you get to have sex with the pokemon after the battle is over
>>
>>32772890
Because all the trials sucked dick and solving gym puzzles required thought?
>>
>>32772890
Alola is an isolated region with a certain level of infrastructure and isolation from the outside world.

If future games had trials and no gyms, it might imply that future regions are 3rd world or something.

A compromise might be if Gyms were like... actual gyms, and your trial was a reasonable test of whatever that gym specialized in.
Or... something.

>Electric gym
>"You need to raise your speed to challenge me."
>Some kind of challenge about making sure you have a fast pokemon, and proving how fast it is in some interesting way
>Then you fight the gym leader.

I don't know.
>>
Because it's a CORE SERIES game that follows a FORMULA.
>>
>>32772890
A mix of both would be welcome. Everyone will be mad either way. Adding a trial element within the actual Gym would be good. Perhaps an objective to reach another trainer or the leader. But discussing this makes me realize trials were just gyms with another name.
>>
>>32773489
Gyms are usually dungeons with actual level design involving puzzles or mazes to solve to get to the end, with trainers strewn throughout which you have the option to either fight to get more experience for your team to prepare for the Gym Leader, or you can choose to avoid them to keep your resources up for fighting just the Gym Leader.

Trials are typically either straight guns through a linear area with scripted wild fights along the way you must partake in, or in two cases just quizzes with nothing but dialogue choices and battles occurring, no dungeon element. The only real exception is the Lush Jungle scavenger hunt, which has at least a little more to it. Verdant Cavern and Abandoned Megamart are the only other close to decent ones, since there's a bit more, but not as much as the scavenger hunt. Vast Poni Canyon and Brooklet Hill are just straight guns for the end with some forced fights.
>>
Totem battles were fine.

Shitty fetch quests, puzzles, and mini games sucked.
>>
>>32772890
Because trials are shittier, reskinned gyms.
>>
>>32773409
>>32773705

This is where I'm getting confused. Trials and totem battles were fine.

There are plenty of gyms that are absolutely retarded or a case of "battle everyone to have access to the leader". Gen 1 and 2 does this. Brock? Straight line. Misty? Battle trainers. Lt. Surge? Retarded even with the hint. Erika? You need cut. That's it. Koga? muh invisible wall gimmick, but totally visable. Sabrina? Actually retarded. You mention stupid quizzes, but that was literally Blaine's gym. And Giovanni's was the only decent one. Maybe.

>B-but it was gen 1
Johto's gyms sucked too, except Morty Old man and Claire (in gen 4 btw). And this is the first gen to do trials, and it wasn't bad. Let's see if they improve.
>>
>>32774157
Mallow's totem battle was absolutely brilliant if you had rowlet or poplio. The Pokemon calling for a help that covered its weakness or powered it up actually made the battle more challenging that any gym I've faced outside of BW2 Challenge mode.
>>
>>32774157
>B-but m-muh gen 7 is s-shit and s-so is e-everything about it!
>>
>>32774157
Yes Gen 1 and Gen 2 Gyms were shit, and they improved. The thing is that improvement should've carried over to Trials, since they're basically just Gyms anyways, but it didn't. Revisit it in Gen VIII, fine, but as it is switching to Gyms would require to provide new experiences that may actually be good this time, due to either a different level designer, or a director who can say "this isn't okay", or just more experience with off-grid overworld, instead of recycling most if not all of the trials like they probably are actually going to do.

Also while Blaine's Gym has a quiz deal, there's still actually walking around the Gym and options to just fight all the trainers rather than take the quiz. That's a difference right there in the philosophy we've seen behind Gyms and Trials thus far.

>>32774175
I used Popplio and it was still easy as fuck, because I actually used a varied team rather than crutching on my starter. Not that any of the games aren't easy, except maybe BW2's Challenge Mode.

Totems are pretty cool, yeah, but there's plenty of ways to implement them without the Trial shell.
>>
>>32773705
>Gyms are usually dungeons with actual level design involving puzzles or mazes to solve to get to the end
Only if you can call pressing buttons to open doors or turn lights a puzzle

>with trainers strewn throughout which you have the option to either fight, or you can choose to avoid them to keep your resources up for fighting just the Gym Leader.
about 5/8 gyms used their trainers as gatekeepers that you had to defeat to go deeper into the gym, the others used them as punishment for picking the wrong teleporter
also you can leave the gym at any moment to heal and resupply, there's no point on skipping other than save time.
>>
>>32772890
I want both.

Trials are a nice new flavor of Gyms. But the whole reason Alola does Trials is because they have no Pokemon League yet. Which is fixed at the end of the game. So we should have had a post-game campaign where you take on the 8 new Alola Gyms, earn their badges, and re-battle the new E4 and Champion.

We didn't get that, and it fucking blows.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.