[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would Gen 6 and 7 been better if they were 2D?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 26

File: 1492126707630.png (404KB, 796x522px) Image search: [Google]
1492126707630.png
404KB, 796x522px
Let's say similar to the BW2 engine, with basic improvements.
>>
Pokemon can't be sprites forever
>>
>we never got to this stage of 2D before moving to 3D
>>
Yes ofc duh. Or just pack much more of the detail and intricacy in
>>
>>32739892
Why not? It was kind of its signature, you know, its look. There can be graphical advancements while still being spritebased games.

>>32739895
>we moved to 3D
theres your problem

>>32739903
Plus, Game Freak had already built up ~18 years of spriting experience. They could whip out quality graphics while still having enough time and resources to dedicate to other things (like good story, postgame, pokemon designs, etc)
3D held them back
>>
>>32739929
>Why not? It was kind of its signature, you know, its look. There can be graphical advancements while still being spritebased games.

If you want to continue to have new Pokemon or forms or whatever, sprites quickly become impractical. Once you make the base model, you can modify and improve upon it forever.
>>
>>32739962
>If you want to continue to have new Pokemon or forms or whatever, sprites quickly become impractical.
Explain? How do sprites limit the amount of Pokemon that can be created?
>>
>>32739878
2D doesn't automatically make a game better.

Not only that but it would take more time and effort to make more detailed sprites and animate them for over 700 Pokemon than to make good looking models for each and animate them.
>>
>>32739962
>If you want to continue to have new Pokemon or forms or whatever,
Just a reminder, Black and White introduced more Pokemon and forms collectively than XY and SM.
>>
>>32739975
>2D doesn't automatically make a game better.
In this instance, it would though, since Game Freak had more experience in 2D than 3D. That automatically means better output and workflow.
>Not only that but it would take more time and effort to make more detailed sprites and animate them for over 700 Pokemon
I don't think so. BW introduce the most new Pokemon yet while also creating new fully animated sprites for all pre-existing Pokemon. And at that point they could've reused all the pre-existing sprites from Gen 5 instead of having to redo them all again when switching to 3D.
>>
>>32739892
>>32739962
sprites are an art style, not a limitation.

Just like how the 3DS gave handheld Zeldas the power to be full 3D, but they kept it top down because it's a sty;e, not a limitation
>>
>>32739975
Who said anything about aninating them? Battles in gen V look like ass because they tried to animate them. Should have just been the sprites with a quick intro animation like in Emerald and Gen IV.
>>
>>32739878
Hard to say without falling for the "grass is always greener" meme, especially with how awful the tweening was in BW/BW2.

I think 3D is ultimately the better direction for the series, they just need to work on improving the new style with hardware that can keep up...
>>
>>32740138
>especially with how awful the tweening was in BW/BW2.
I feel like something must be wrong with me, because I adore the tweening in BW/BW2 or some odd reason.
>>
>>32740159
I love them as well, Anon.
>>
Remember seeing from stills from that game.

What's the name again? It any closer to release?
>>
save this post:
they will eventually create a spinoff that's basically a gimmicky maingame with 2D sprites.
Pokémon will never fully leave the 2D behind.
>>
>>32739892
they need to go back to sprites or go to the quality the fucking gamecube games had with their models. each one was to scale and so fucking full of personality. 3DS battles don't have a sliver of impact the GC and Wii games did
>>
File: 1485573901137.png (150KB, 805x1950px) Image search: [Google]
1485573901137.png
150KB, 805x1950px
>tfw we will never get big HD sprites
>>
>>32740910
Abandoning the HDS for 3DS was amistake.
>>
>>32739878
>>32740910
>this beautiful hd sprite quality we'll never have
IT HURTS, /vp/. IT HURTS.
>>
>>32739929
>Plus, Game Freak had already built up ~18 years of spriting experience. They could whip out quality graphics while still having enough time and resources to dedicate to other things (like good story, postgame, pokemon designs, etc)
>3D held them back

Sprites are actually a lot of work as time moves on. Namely because as technology progresses, expectations increase. Case examples would be animated trainer and Pokemon sprites in Gen V or the "puppet" overworld sprites with moving parts.

Fans have this crazy idea that 2D isn't much a hassle because first they believe games in a series peak after a while in terms of visual style and all that's required is to recycle sprites or go off the visual style of the last game. Fangames do it all the time. The second part is that because sprite/dot-based graphics can technically be approached by everyone, it's automatically assumed the work on a wholescale is easy. Work piles up, as you don't only have a growing list of Pokemon, but a bunch of NPCs (field and battle) as well to consider in the game's visual style. To say nothing of form changes and the like, either. There's also a difference between some co-ed kid or NEET spriting 2-3 things, patting themselves on the back and calling it a day for home, family and life's follies and some live-at-job Japanese worker spriting 40-60 things before s/he can earn that 95 minutes of sleep and leftover noodles, let alone the right to a paycheck.

>>32740133
>Taking a step back is fine because because sentimental 20-30 somethings outweigh the children.

The Mega Man 9 approach probably isn't a good idea. People expect Pokemon to grow, not regress.
>>
>>32740904
>go to the quality the fucking gamecube games had with their models.

Which weren't GameFreak developed.
>>
You know, Gamefreak is all about mass appeal and $$$$. 2d isn't cool anymore with 12 year olds, they need that awesome 3d graffix. It's only logical pokemon made the jump to 3d
>>
>>32740944
>The Mega Man 9 approach probably isn't a good idea.
I don't think we need to go back to RBY sprites or anything.

I'd just much prefer the pics in the OP or >>32740910 over the ugly 3D models, the drab and washed out colors, the lazy looking environment, etc.
>>
>>32739878
probably, but to leave it at that would imply that 3D was the reason they were shit, and not simply because they were the same old 2D games wrapped in a 3D shell that lived up to none of the expectations that come with a 3D update
animated sprites also looked like pure garbage to boot
>>32739929
>There can be graphical advancements while still being spritebased games.
and with a 3D engine there can be even more, and the potential for more gameplay enhancements too since 3D models are much more readily reused than sprites
your perspective is overly nostalgic and limiting, nobody gives a shit about Pokemon because of the "signature" sprites they give a shit about it because it has a fucking great universe and characters and 3D lets you experience even more of it, gamefreak just executes it like shit and the anemic piece of shit handheld microwave timer we call the 3DS doesn't help things either
>>
>>32739895
That's no ones fault but Gamefreak's. This sort of look was almost entirely do-able on GBA, and definitey do-able on DS. Gamefreak is just notoriously lazy and un-artistic.

It's the same reason XY, ORAS and SM look underwhelming. It has absolutely nothing to do with 3D capabilities, its all on Gamefreak. If this sub played any games other than Pokemon, this would be painfully obvious to you all.
>>
>>32739878
every pokemon game would be better if it was 2D
3rd gen was the last good gen for this reason
>>
>>32741004
>If this sub

Showing your colours there Redditor.
>>
That looks damn good. Are the screenshots from a playable fangame? If so, I'd really appreciate if you could tell me the name of it.
>>
>>32740952
it should set standards when other people do a better job with your product than you do. GF doesn't learn in the same way Bethesda hasnt
>>
File: 1413334867203.gif (371KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1413334867203.gif
371KB, 500x375px
>tfw gen II had the best sprites
>>
>>32741074
I think you mean HGSS
>>
>>32741080
No, definitely gen II
Not only did every pokemon have a different sprite depending on the game you were playing
they were also able to capture so much more with just 4 colors compared to what we saw in later gens
>>
>>32739929
>There can be graphical advancements while still being spritebased games
Yes but Gamefreak weren't really making them. They'd settled with the gen 4 battle sprite style and if XY and SM were sprite games they'd have the gen 4 battle sprites too. Only the overworld sprites changed at something was becoming very clear with them, Gamefreak wanted to break past the limits of 2D sprites.
>>
>>32740133
I thought Gen 5 had more attractive battle graphics than 6 or 7, and by a wide margin. The animations are admittedly crude, but I feel they convey a sense of liveliness that the 3D models don't. The 3D models could definitely achieve even better results, but they aren't right now, and I fear they never will.
>>
>>32741120
oh yeah, the super pixelated blocky zoomed in back sprites are great...
>>
>>32739878
Yes more Pokemon less lag

Imagine if the 3d never had 3d.

Models could have debut on the Switch
>>
>>32740944
This is the best post.

>>32739929
>GF built up ~18 years of spriting experience

That could also be a reason to move to 3D, so i don't see your point of them moving to something different after 18 years. A series can't evolve without shaking things up. And Stadium/Colluseum/XD fags on vp were egging it on before they became contrarians.
>>
>>32741128
I liked those better than the 3D models. They felt more lively. That's all I'm saying.
>>
No, their flaws are more conscious design decisions which could already be seen starting to creep in with BW1.

Also all that bloom is even worse than the horrendous softglow SM has.
>>
>Game Freak had already built up ~18 years of spriting experience
>Game Freak had more experience in 2D than 3D

from a programming perspective the GBC, GBA, and DS had dedicated hardware for working with sprites where the 3DS does not
that offloads a lot of fundamental code for the engine programmers

for artists/animators, high-quality 2D graphics is a LOT of work compared to even average 3D models. because of the 3DS's small screens, spriters have to convert artwork to a size that's no longer considered high-quality among general audiences. 2D graphics that aren't constrained by display size instead have to draw animations frame-by-frame to avoid QUALITY situations that can arise from using cheap in-between animators like in anime
>>
>>32740944
>>32741158
Retards

Game Freak are professional game developers. They can make sprites. Go fuck yourselves.
>>
>>32741004
>this sub
FUCK OFF REDDIT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>32741267
"realistic" animations are harder to implement in 2D/2.5D graphics engines than 3D

3D graphics engines are pretty good at simulating what we expect to see even when using low-quality models

2D/2.5D graphics engines have trouble simulating movement into/out of the plane of projection without the animator specifically drawing frames to compensate for those motions
even with an advanced 2D engine, many computer-generated animations will look stilted compared to 3D or hand-drawn artwork
>>
>>32739929
>Game Freak had already built up ~18 years of spriting experience
>Game Freak had more experience in 2D than 3D

Let's talk about that logic in general. That implies anyone who first cut their teeth in 3D should have given up after their attempt to transition to it. It sends the message that if you try and fail, don't try again.

Nintendo should have thrown in the towel on 3D not only because Nintendo 64 sales and dev support was in the shitter compared to the SNES/Super Famicom but because they had less experience with 3D compared to 2D. Capcom should have axed the Resident Evil series because it felt jarring compared to titles like Street Fighter and Mega Man at the time.
Sega should have given up after Virtua Fighter because the models looked goofy as fuck compared their 2D endeavors like Golden Axe and Quartet.

I can get preferring 2D over 3D, that in on itself is fine. However, pulling out the experience card is one of the most retarded reasoning for why GameFreak should go back to sprites. Especially when they still got some growth on 3D to work on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rJjYabF9gs
>>
>>32741331
They are. And they decided to move to 3D, because they (professional developers probably unlike yourself) thought that the 3DS should have 3D models.

>>32741349
this
>>
>>32741331
>Game Freak are professional game developers. They can make sprites. Go fuck yourselves.

Development studios have turnover rates, especially in Japan. Sprite artists can end up finding new work elsewhere like indieszero where their skills are in reasonable demand or places like Jupiter Corp. where work is steady but also less stressful.

It's very much realistic that just because a game company has done something in the past, doesn't necessarily mean they're capable of doing it again because a lot of the staff members responsible for that either jumped ship or were contractors/part-timers to begin with.
>>
>>32741383
Doesn't Gamefreak also have a comically small staff relative to the amount of money they're dealing with?
>>
>>32741415
They have 115 employees and there games make 100s of millions. The brand itself makes billions Not like this shit is expanse to make either
>>
>>32741039
I'm pretty sure they're mockups
>>
>>32741415
That money is used to headhunt those fresh out of university or other studios who are likely familiar with current industry standards. The point is to keep their doors open to graduates, who in this age likely never grew up in a time where hobbyist microcomputers were king and the Personal Computer was only affordable if your dad could wipe his ass with 20,000 yen notes.

Times change and talents shifted.
>>
>>32739878
Yes. Less time involved in making 3d environments and performance tweaking means that they can focus on the level design.
>>
>>32741515
3D isn't that hard to do at all, it's actually way easier than 2D since the assets are much more versatile and can be recycled easily across multiple games and unique environments
>>
>>32739878
I personally think that a lot of the novelty of the games were lost in the transition to 3d. The most glaring things in my opinion are how the routes feel shorter due to a larger view/player character and the fact that since the pokemon models are supposedly future proofed they will be used for many years to come instead of creating new sprites (not to mention the poor colors and other problems). That being said, the puppet sprites suck so who knows.
>>
>>32741580
>sprites can't be recycled easily across multiple games and unique environments
but that's literally what they did across gen 4 through gen 5 you raging homo-ape
go fuck yourself
you are not a game developer
abandon your ego before you weaponize it
>>
File: 547697.png (23KB, 630x393px) Image search: [Google]
547697.png
23KB, 630x393px
>>32739878
Gamefreak is incapable of effort.
>>
>>32741580
Pretty much this.

3D is "easier" to animate in principle because you don't necessarily have to remake the model from scratch each time to make a different pose or the like.

>>32741755
>but that's literally what they did across gen 4 through gen 5 you raging homo-ape

Projecting aside, I think you should get your eyes checked.
>>
>>32741780
You DO realize the tweened sprites for all (excluding a few Gen 1 mons) were REUSED Platinum sprites, don't you?

GO FUCK YOURSELF
>>
>>32741755
Gen 5 looked nothing like Gen 4, what the fuck are you talking about? And why are you so upset?
It's far more difficult to create unique environments using 2D tilesets you have to re-design for every area instead of simply creating a few new textures and then throwing in similar assets from other areas in where they're needed. Stop sucking nostalgia cock and grow up already.
>>
>>32741825
Literally google it you fucking shithole
The pokemon sprites in Gen 5 (static) were almost ALL reused from Gen 4
This is common knowledge
kys newfag

>It's far more difficult to create unique environments using 2D tilesets you have to re-design for every area instead of simply creating a few new textures and then throwing in similar assets from other areas in where they're needed.

NO IT ISNT

BEING 2D DOESN'T MAGICALLY INCREASE THE DIFFICULTY OF REUSING ASSETS
>>
>>32740006
You sure did disprove you're own point quickly
>>
>>32739892
It totally could be. High res sprites could look great
>>
>>32741834
Hey dumbshit, do you realize there's more to a Pokemon game than just the fucking Pokemon sprites? Or have you played nothing but showdown for the last couple years to the point that you've forgotten what the games actually are outside of battles?
>BEING 2D DOESN'T MAGICALLY INCREASE THE DIFFICULTY OF REUSING ASSETS
It certainly does depending on what assets we're reusing, not to mention a 3D asset would have a much longer shelf life across games than a sprite which players will pretty much expect to be redesigned with every new generation.

Calm the fuck down, you whiny child.
>>
>>32741911
i didnt read any of your post beyond (You)
suck my dick
>>
>>32741916
Doesn't bother me that much, it's not like gamefreak will ever give a shit about your luddite sprite obsession anyway.
>>
>>32741924
you'll eat your words after you eat my load bitch
>>
>>32741928
Cum is gross, can you flavor it at least?
>>
>>32741911
Hell, even in 2D, GameFreak didn't really do as much as they could have presentation wise. We could have had Legend of Mana visuals or a generation with Pokemon Ranger-esque graphics if they wanted to. However, diminishing returns are likely the reason NOT to pursue that path.

As you suggested, 3D's advantage is that it's modular and scalable. Textures and some accessories can change but the base model is generally the same. Even if a model doesn't hold up too well for being low-poly or what have you, they can either update parts of the model and/or have a higher resolution version of the textures available, which are likely downscaled for the game's resolution to begin with.

Can 2D be done in higher resolutions or in greater detail than the DS generation? Absolutely.
Is it worth pursuing?
Maybe in hindsight, but that ship has sailed 4 years ago.
>>
>>32740133
>Battles in gen V look like ass because they tried to animate them.
The method of animation they used would work better with higher res sprites. Especially if they used vector graphics.
>>
>>32739878
Absolutely not. 2D was horrible and gen 4 and 5 were inexcusably lazy in not moving to models. Imagine how far the series would have come by now if they hadn't waited so fucking long to make the jump.
>>
>>32740910
damn those are some ugly ass fakemon
>>
>>32740910
thank fuck we moved to 3d. pokemon would look like shit if they looked like this.
>>
>>32741780
>Projecting aside, I think you should get your eyes checked.
They did reuse or slightly edit a ton of sprites over from gen 4 to gen 5.
Hell, even some back sprites in gen 3 were edited gen 2 sprites, like Rhydon.
>>
>>32742272
>>32742280
So sprites that are higher quality than any sprites prior would've been worse than the sprites pre existing? You faggots are retards
>>
Isn't 3d only so shit because the models and textures are down scaled like fuck because of the 3ds?
>>
>>32739878
>no lag
>we'd still have Triple Battles

I'm salty they removed this
>>
>>32739878
No, they'd be better if Game Freak just learnt how to make games properly.
>>
>>32739878
What game is this? Looks beautiful!
>>
Yes they would. Sprites had charm. Models are soulless.
>>
>This thread
This board is full with nostalgiafags holy shit
>>
>>32743133
>fundamental concept used from conception to just two gens ago
>nostalgia

If GEN 8 switches to Yarn graphics and I complain about prior visuals being better would that be nostalgia?
>>
>>32743133

nostalgia is a convenient term for gamefreak cock suckers. it removes all responsibility from gf for making subpar games.
>>
File: 1497129429076.gif (21KB, 150x160px) Image search: [Google]
1497129429076.gif
21KB, 150x160px
>>32743133
I'm sorry you can't handle the fact that people have preferences, child.
This might blow your mind, but 3D is not objectively better.
>>
>>32739878
>There will never be a pokemon game looking this good.
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>32743142
>>32743145
>Lets pretend gen V came out a momth ago
yes, you have nostalgia
>>
>>32740910
kinda like the concept of the virus pokemon....
>>
For those asking: these screenshots OP posted come from Pokemon Garnet, a fangame made with Rpgmaker. It got quite some attention years ago, and it's still being developed (appearently)
>>
>>32743159
You're trying way too hard
>>
>>32739878
Yes but people would complain anyway.
People bitched all day about genV still being 2D and we'd have daily threads about people wanting sprites to die.
>>
Kids these days don't want sprites they want models and 3d environments.

Im all for it, the more realistic the better for me.
>>
File: 1495136990361.jpg (337KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1495136990361.jpg
337KB, 1920x1080px
This thread is silly. I fucking love sprites, I eat sprites for breakfast, Disgaea is my #1 favorite series because it still uses sprites even when it hit the PS4, but unless someone takes a massive amount of time to work on said sprites, models are a much better solution for any game dev.
As >>32739962 said, models allow for more applications, as opposed to sprites. Pokemon Amie probably wouldn't be possible with sprites, or if it were attempted with sprites, it would be severely gimped, the same applies to Pokemon following you. In HG/SS, a Pokemon's entire overworld spritesheet had 6 frames, basically you would have a basic walking sprite that bounces up and down and faced different directions, and while I love the look of it, the fact is that every single Pokemon having a unique walking AND running animation, including alt forms+Mega Evos, is simply a better option and would really only be possible with models. If you have any repsect for spritework, you would know how much effort goes into making them look good. Sprites simply require too much fine tuning to be practical for a dev studio who has a yearly quota, especially in a series with 800+ monsters and growing.
tl;dr: Sprites are great and Pokemon's sprites are outstanding, but they just do not work with the direction the series is headed.
>>32742243
Vectored sprites look ugly as shit desu.
>>
>>32743142
>reductio ad absurdum

Found objects would just be sprites with extra steps. Aside from that, Pokemon is a series that functions on industry standards. DS was 2D because 2D was expected on the system. 3DS was capable of console-like visuals on a handheld. It's not the type of series that would subject its mainline title to some avant-garde styled presentation because there would be no point. That's best left for side games.

>>32743111
Explain your reasons and quantify them with objective, measurable terms please.
>>
>>32743189
6-7 years is a long time, anon. Like the span from Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario World long.
>>
File: zEUF51s3.gif (148KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
zEUF51s3.gif
148KB, 500x500px
>>32741111
>crystal has beautiful, multiframe animations with lots of personality
>next generation doesnt even have moving sprites until emerald
>emerald animations are just two alternating frames that sometimes stretch or turn a different color
>animations only get marginally better until 3DS games a decade later

Where did it all go so wrong?
>>
>>32739878
Would they have been better? Yes. Would they have been not shit? No. The main problems in these games are others and related to gameplay and/or immersion, SM being the only exception since on top of these problems, battles with more Pokemon than the typical 1 vs. 1 tend to be slow as ass. If making them 2d would've meant them putting more effort into other aspects, only then they'd have been good games.
>>
>>32739878
Unrelated, but seeing this pic makes me hope that one day they'll do a region that's not based in any place of the world and actually let their imagination run wild to make interesting places that don't have repetitive cities and it's more foccused on nature.
But who am I kidding? As long as we have the same incompetent devs, all they'll care about will be going on field trips with the excuse that it's for the game and releasing more incomplete games for quicker money.
>>
File: 1487283807917m.jpg (57KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1487283807917m.jpg
57KB, 724x1024px
>>32739878
Everything's better in 2D
>>
>>32740006
>Just like how the 3DS gave handheld Zeldas the power to be full 3D, but they kept it top down because it's a sty;e, not a limitation
I love sprites and all, but anon...
>>
>>32743427
Cute goblin, would headpat
>>
File: 23546500.gif (108KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
23546500.gif
108KB, 500x340px
I personally really liked the sprites and some areas I think couldn't be topped even with top tier 3D graphics. But my main problem with the 3DS games so far has been that the games as a whole just aren't that good, and I don't mind 3D models if GF would put more effort in them.
I am kind of sad though that even PMD went 3D, I really would've liked at least one spin-off game that still kept sprites because I think sprites and Pokemon just kind of fit together.
>>
>>32741120
>I feel they convey a sense of liveliness that the 3D models don't
You are not the only one my nigga
>>
>>32739878
Yes. It would be also bigger, you wouldn´t see framedrops.

And the pokemons would also always look different every gen.

Fuck this games look beautiful.
>>
>>32741120
The advantage of 2D is that you can exaggerate it.
The problem with 3D is that everything's too exact.
>>
>>32743433
>Headpat

Is that where you pat it with your dick?
>>
>>32739878
yes
>>
>>32743348
>Vectored sprites look ugly as shit desu.
The Rayman games look great.
>>
>>32743397
>Crystal's animations
>beautiful
Just because they have one more frame than the Emerald/Gen 4 animations doesn't mean they're good.

90% of crystal animations boil down to
>wiggle appendage slightly
>blink a lot
>>
Anybody knows what bottom right hack is called?
>>
>>32743889
Looks like an old version of Phoenix Rising, judging by the player sprite.
>>
>>32740910
I unironically like that waifu design. That's one hell of a Greek mythology reference.
>>
Not at all.
Gen 5 looked as shit as it played.
The 3D models we have in Sun and Moon are a thing of beauty, the only issue is that the 3DS holds them back due to its ancient as fuck hardware and god awful screen.
Those very same models in Citra at 1080p with the no outline patch look absolutely beautiful.
>>
File: tumblr_mr6tcps00V1s29bhho1_500.gif (88KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mr6tcps00V1s29bhho1_500.gif
88KB, 500x500px
>>32743782
You're objectively wrong.
>>
>>32743924
Hi Daniel!
>>
>>32743945
You just posted an example that proves me right.
And sadly that's one of the more interesting ones too.
They may have one more frame but the movement is absolutely minimal.
>>
File: 13245623456.png (457KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
13245623456.png
457KB, 600x450px
>>32739878
Yes, at the very least the frame rates would be acceptable
>>
File: 39b.gif (3MB, 505x300px) Image search: [Google]
39b.gif
3MB, 505x300px
>we'll never move to a new Pokémon game with Arc Sys quality pseudo sprites
>we'll have to live with those shit ass models forever
>>
>>32743992
I may prove the facts statted in your post right, but the implication made from it isn't. A dex doesn't need all of its entries animated in a good way for it to be good, sometimes less is more. If all of the animations needed something that distinguished them from the rest as opposed to just movements that represent them as creatures, it would become overly cartoonish and trash. By your logic, none of the animated dexes across all games are good.
>>
>>32744074
>in a good way
*in an unique way
>>
>>32743945
worst than RSE sprite, don´t know were is the point here beside "it´s move a little"
>>
>>32744074
>sometimes less is more.
Sure, but most of the time less is just less. The entire body is static while only the right arm moves.
This is not a good animation.

Side note, Cubone's Gen 3 backsprite is just a recoloured Gen 2 backsprite.
>>
>>32739878
No.
Gen 6-7's problem wasn't with the graphics.
If anything it's the only thing they've done right.
>>
>>32744090
We're talking animations, not sprites. Reading comprehension, retard.

>>32744129
As Cubone tends to stay when he juggles with his bone, how the fuck do you expect it to be able to juggle otherwise? What would be a good animation by your standards? Because it perfectly represents Cubone and how he always was.
>>
>>32744172
At the very least its shoulders should move slightly.
>>
>>32744129
>Cubone's Gen 3 backsprite is just a recoloured Gen 2 backsprite
like most gen III back sprites
>>
>>32744191
Wow, huge fucking difference. His left one already does and the right one doesn't need to. Gg, Gamefreak should fire all of their animators and hire you instead.
>>
>>32739878
Fuck you OP, I still check once a year to check whether or not this is still active
>>
>>32744233
It's the small details that make all the difference in animation.
It's what can make the difference between stiff movement and fluid movement.
>>
>>32744281
Yeah, except your "proposal" doesn't make for a difference at fucking all.
>>
File: Crystal-Cubone.gif (2KB, 69x49px) Image search: [Google]
Crystal-Cubone.gif
2KB, 69x49px
>>32745007
I did say "at the very least"

This is my attempt at adding a bit more movement without changing the sprite dimensions or frame count.
>>
>>32739968

porygon comes into mind.

then again, just porygon. rotom maybe but hes just a car engine gone loco
>>
File: really dude.jpg (42KB, 248x257px) Image search: [Google]
really dude.jpg
42KB, 248x257px
>>32742247

kys
>>
File: Crystal-Cubone.gif (2KB, 69x49px) Image search: [Google]
Crystal-Cubone.gif
2KB, 69x49px
>>32745210
Wait, messed with the timing slightly.
>>
File: 1496946077813.png (92KB, 292x265px) Image search: [Google]
1496946077813.png
92KB, 292x265px
Pokemon isn't going back to sprites for the main games, like it or not. Keep dreaming.
>>
>>32744048
>>we'll never move to a new Pokémon game with Arc Sys quality pseudo sprites

ArcSys uses the Unreal Engine for that shit. Those are still models, just models that require hardware that kicks way over the 3DS' weight.
>>
>>32745210
But that's not Cubone. By the time this animation was released, Cubone had been portrayed in the anime several times and when he throws his bone in the air he does as much as move his arm. Just because you can add a little details here or there doesn't mean you should, or that the original is bad. In your rendition it looks retarded, when Cubone knows exactly what he's doing (he doesn't need to look when he throws it), he's overly confident and distant. If you're gonna make an input at least make sure you know what you're doing.
>>
File: IMG_1683.jpg (170KB, 794x810px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1683.jpg
170KB, 794x810px
>>32741004
>>
>>32739878
No question. 3D was a mistake.
>>
>>32745397
Even in the anime (which by the way is notorious for having pretty poor animation most of the time) cubone moves more than just its arm when throwing its bone.
>>
File: 71.png (53KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
71.png
53KB, 256x192px
You guys do realize gens 4 and 5 were 3D right? The people and Pokémon were sprites but everything else was 3D. 3D isn't the problem because Game Freak's already shown that they can make an interesting 3D world. They just think everyone is a casual now and are lazy.

>>32743486
>I personally really liked the sprites and some areas I think couldn't be topped even with top tier 3D graphics.
The only 2D things in that screenshot are Lucas and the Poké Ball. Everything else is 3D stylized to look like sprites
>>
>>32745616
at which point in gen 4 can you move in 3 dimensions you fucking retard
>>
>>32739878
I'd prefer 2D overview, keeps the camera consistent. Hated how the camera went full retard when trying to navigate lumiose city, which was already annoying enough to navigate.
>>
>>32745695
going up stairs
>>
>>32745703
Lumiose was just handled horribly. There was no reason they couldn't have bound camera control to L and R.
>>
File: platinum_ss9.jpg (25KB, 304x199px) Image search: [Google]
platinum_ss9.jpg
25KB, 304x199px
>>32745695
You move in 3 dimensions throughout the whole game, my good friend
>>
>>32745455
Except you're wrong. The rest of his body is kept stiff to show a bossy attitude. There's a reason. Regardless of the animation quality, Cubone's stance isn't something they fucked up.
>>
File: 1456409314313.jpg (79KB, 570x587px) Image search: [Google]
1456409314313.jpg
79KB, 570x587px
>>32745695
>>
>>32739878
WHAT IS THIS GAME?
>>
File: evidence.png (82KB, 486x196px) Image search: [Google]
evidence.png
82KB, 486x196px
>>32745695
>>32745755
Here anon, I will show you proof so maybe you can stop being so angry. Here is a screenshot of a Gen 3 game and a screenshot of a Gen 4 game. The buildings in Gen 3 are all facing the same way and you can't see their sides. The buildings in Gen 4 are slanted away from the center of the screen and you can see their sides. This is because they are actually 3D models. If you were to move to a few steps in one direction you would be able to see them from a different perspective. If you did that in Gen 3 they would look exactly the same.
>>
>>32739985
yeah with 99% of deviant art tier shit designs

and way too many pokemon, like 59850895079 trios and legends.
>>
the problem is not 3ds itself, the problem is the trash hardware of the fucking shitty 3ds that ruins everything, 15 frame shit, glithy shit graphics, 240p eye cancer, blur animations, disgusting character designs, the list goes on.
>>
>>32745964

woops I mean
>the problem is not 3D itself
>>
>>32745964
>>32745971

edit button, when?
>>
>>32745265

Were just talking about how gen 6 and 7 look like shit and are bad games. We all know they wont go back, dumb sperg.
>>
>>32745964
Nah fuck that. there's better looking and running games on 3ds.
Gamefreak is just a bad developer.
>>
>>32739985
They also had 4 years to do so.
>>
>>32740910
Source on these?
>>
File: VH1r3mwpg.gif (413KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
VH1r3mwpg.gif
413KB, 500x333px
>>32743782
Whether or not they're good is entirely subjective to personal taste. The point I'm trying to make is that compared to the games that came after, Crystal had some really good animations (on the GBC of all things) and there is really no excuse for later games not doing the same. Compare the Lugia animation to this one and tell me which one is better.
>>
>>32743782
What the fuck do you want the animations to do, hop in your Range and fill up your petrol?
>>
File: 103.gif (52KB, 78x73px) Image search: [Google]
103.gif
52KB, 78x73px
The one thing I hate most about gen 6 and 7's visuals is how fucking pale and bland all the models look like. I think they really mastered sprites in BW2, they were colorful and their animations showcased a lot of personality. How did we go from this...
>>
File: Spr 7s 103.png (9KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
Spr 7s 103.png
9KB, 240x240px
>>32746530
To this?
>>
>>32745616
you know what we fucking mean dipshit
>>
>>32746527
yes
>>
File: 1470949729745.png (387KB, 945x572px) Image search: [Google]
1470949729745.png
387KB, 945x572px
>>32746530
this
i understand why they went to the models but cell shading is just the worst
>>
>>32745616
You're the worst kind of faggot. Of course everyone knows of the 3D elements in 4 + 5. The games play and look like 2D with sprites.
>>
>>32746596

Whenever you post about the model colors a SMaggot usually appears and tells you that the sprites were actually too saturated and don't represent the pokemon in the first place. I truly believe only 10 year olds and autismos like and defend Sun and Moon.
>>
>>32745858
They mean that the game plays like 2D. A lot is still textured as if they were sprites. So in 4 and 5's case, they are 2D games with 3D elements incorporated.
>>
>>32746557
>>32746628
>>32747496
So what's the difference? The games still play the same.
>>
>>32739878
Detailed 2d like that will always be better than 3d
>>
>>32748580
Pretty much.

Putting so much emphasis on the presentation of the games for the sake of nostalgia. It's not like 3D hasn't been a deterrent on sales, the correlation of sales being less seems more like veteran fans growing out the series while they're either replaced with new fans or fans that embrace the series' progress. If you ask me, it sounds like they're just trying to recreate the feeling they had playing Red and Blue in a ritualistic manner. It's not that GB or DS graphics do much by themselves, but they somehow associate that with childhood if not some kind of point where Pokemon stays exactly where it was when they enjoyed it the most and frankly I just don't see the series as something MEANT to keep old fans as it's constantly refreshing for newer ones in Japan.

I can get nostalgia hooks and old game continuity to a point, but it feels like the only way for the Pokemon games to move is forward while embracing new technology with it. The series has to keep current and progress has helped solidify the kind of world they want to depict. Just seems kind of nitpicky to be uppy about the presentation "lacking soul." Fuck your "soul", it's a game targeted at children who aren't going to "get" your aesthetics because they weren't born when they were relevant.
>>
>>32748712
Is this a copypasta
>>
>>32745991
Wow you sure showed me, spritefag. Go play some shitty fan games.
>>
welcome to the filter, namefag
>>
>>32739878
I would love to play a game with this grapics!
>>
>>32749299
Only if I have a time traveling clone on the loose.
Thread posts: 175
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.