[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best Pokémon spin off and why is it Colosseum?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 13

File: 0207.bke.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg (39KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
0207.bke.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg
39KB, 500x364px
What's the best Pokémon spin off and why is it Colosseum?
>>
Colosseum is 2nd best, but the one with the meme name is better.
>>
>>32736965
>why is it Colosseum?
Because it was more mature and had a cool story.
>>32736973
>the one with the meme name is better.
Fuck OFF. Colosseum 2 was garbage.
>>
Double Battles
>>
>>32736994
And your reasoning?
>>
>>32736965
Couldn't you only save in this game at PCs? That alone makes me like the second one better
>>
>>32737016
This was the only thing I didn't like about the game (and the character models, Pokémon models were on point). Everything else was on point.
>>
>>32736994
not an argument
>>
>>32736965
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8HzxazC2EsQ
THE MUSIC
>>
>>32736965
>what is xD?
>>
>>32736994
>Colosseum 2 was garbage.
So much this
>>
File: evice.png (199KB, 959x746px) Image search: [Google]
evice.png
199KB, 959x746px
>>32736965
Double Battles for everything was great, Shadow Pokemon mechanic was neato, Miror B, and I like that you have a small selection of what you can use, really takes you out of your comfort zone. Also, this game has one of my favorite final bosses ever, pic related. Note: he almost always starts off with Slowing and Slaking.
>>
>>32737178
i fought this asshole like 1000 times to get that ttar shiny
>>
>>32737637
Is it not shiny locked? I didn't even know shadow Pokemon could be shiny...
>>
File: Shiny Purified Tyranitar.jpg (76KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Shiny Purified Tyranitar.jpg
76KB, 640x480px
>>32737658
it's not shiny locked, but you can't tell if it's shiny before you catch it, since it's rerolled when you catch it
>>
As an adventure RPG, XD is better solely on the basis of giving Shadow Pokemon actual depth beyond SHADOW RUSH.
>>
>>32737637
>>32737671
Damn, dat sum serious dedication mah nigguh. *Tips backwards cap*
>>
>>32737178
This fight made me learn the usefulness of non-attacking moves. First time I fought him, I laughed when his Slowking used Skill Swap as I thought it was a useful move. 7 turns later I blacked out.
>>
>>32737672
This is also true. I would honestly love to see Shadow Pokemon return as a fully fleshed out concept or type - they could have a permanent eviolite effect or something to that effect but only have access to Shadow moves
>>
Good music and it was challenging with colosseum mode. It took me many weeks to win all the battles.
>>
>>32736965
gale of darkness and colosseum are both really good. if only i had a working memory card.
>>
>>32739686
Emulate it my dude (assuming you have anything other than a potato for a PC). Runs surprisingly well for me anyhow
>>
>>32737178
It's too bad Slowking never uses Skill Swap again after using it on Slaking on one of your Pokemon to act even more of a challenge.
>>
>>32739715
I would love to see a Hard Mode hack of Colosseum where this shit happens.
>>
File: Chugga 3.jpg (512KB, 1025x684px) Image search: [Google]
Chugga 3.jpg
512KB, 1025x684px
>>32737178
>pic related beat Evice because Evice decided to use 2 x attacks instead of going for the KO
good times
>>
>>32737811
To me it was that Sword Dance SIM Battle that made me learn that.
>>
>>32737100
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIJECUio5cg
>champion theme if you managed to reach the end of colosseums
>>
>>32739804
Am I the only one who thought that Chugga's Colosseum LP was one of his worst? There was good moments like the one you mentioned, but plenty of forced moments too. (it dosn afct misdreeeevos haha XD)
>>
>>32737658
They're not locked in Colosseum. It's annoying, though, since the game calculates Shininess both for the original trainer and after you snag it, meaning it can randomly lose its Shininess or randomly become a Shiny (in the end it's still 1/8192, though)
>>
>>32739831
So, what was one of his best?
>>
>>32737658
shiny locking is a newer "mechanism"
it has more to do with the game code than pokemon data
mainline games starting in Gen V have code to prevent certain pokemon from randomly generating as shiny when encountered in the "wild"
you can easily hack a Zygarde to be shiny and the game will display it as such but XY/SM will never generate Zygarde as shiny and to date it hasn't been distributed as shiny either
>>
File: Chugga 2.jpg (480KB, 1635x1090px) Image search: [Google]
Chugga 2.jpg
480KB, 1635x1090px
>>32739831
Agreed.
>>
>>32739900
Shadow Pokemon are locked in XD, though, as the game will reroll values until it's not shiny

everyone who does the XD meme will have somethign bad happen to them in next month[/spoielr]
>>
File: IMG_0746.png (102KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0746.png
102KB, 460x460px
I remember having a headcanon where cipher is a R&D branch of team rocket, and they're developing shadow pokemon because giovanni wanted to use the process on mewtwo and make it more powerful and easier to control. I remembered it when I saw shadow mewtwo in pokken
>>
File: p_mireib.gif (10KB, 108x106px) Image search: [Google]
p_mireib.gif
10KB, 108x106px
>>32736965
Because it played like a normal pokémon game but at the same time it was completely different with a progress completely unrelated to gyms and routes (which left room for the story to try to grow and surprise), a harsh limitation on what you can get and double battles playing very differently to single battles.
Also the different juvenile atmosphere and great music

In summary, it grabbed pokémon's core mechanics and delivered a completely different game.
>>
>>32739943
>it actually has the same prefix in Japanese
deepest lore
>>
>>32736965
because it is better than the main games.
>>
>>32739877
I like his Majora's Mask LP, mostly because has a good balance of Chugga being both informative and funny. It also got me a little more interested in
the Zelda series. It isn't my most favorite LP of his, but it is rewatchable for me.

But it has been a while since I saw his LPs. I kind of stopped watching since he had to hold off his Xenoblade LP at one point.
>>
>>32739988
Well, he did Skyward Sword lately.

Yes, he did the gag again, this time with BotW's extended stamina wheel.
>>
File: 0.png (545KB, 1280x344px)
0.png
545KB, 1280x344px
I remember thinking that B/W was alluding to Orre remakes because of Colress and Alder looking similar to Ein and Dakim respectively. The twist I need, but shall never have
>>
Aesthetically and tonally it's better, but its sequel has a better set of Pokemon. I also like only being able to save at a PC. It makes savescumming harder.
>>
>>32740029
Such a shame Unova games never even bothered mentioning Orre, being so relatively close.
>>
I wish Dunsparce was in Gale of Darkness. Access to Body Slam would have made it usable in Colosseum.
>>
Best Story: Colosseum
Best Characters: Colosseum
Best Areas: Colosseum
Best Music: Tie
Best Graphics: Gale of Darkness
Best Gameplay: Gale of Darkness
Most Content: Gale of Darkness
>>
>>32736994
I liked XD, but not as much as the original. Probably had the best story in Pokemon history.
>>
>>32740234
>Probably had the best story in Pokemon history
Maybe. It's definitely up there with Explorers of Sky, Super Mystery Dungeon, Sun/Moon and Black [2] / White [2].
>>
>>32736965
Colosseum had the better story but XD had the better gameplay.
>>
File: dfghjkjhgf.jpg (27KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
dfghjkjhgf.jpg
27KB, 346x346px
>>32739831
I was rewatching his Platinum lp a while back and during the Cyrus fights, it's like his brain just turns off
>Expects Milotic to freeze
>Sends out Gallade against dark/flying types
>Refuses to use revives because the A.I can't do it
It's just unbearable to watch.
>>
>>32741380
>>Refuses to use revives because the A.I can't do it
there's nothing wrong with this
>>
>>32740234
>XD
kys
>>
>>32736965
I prefer Explorers of Sky.
>>
>>32741446
>there's nothing wrong with this
Until he becomes a moron for a having a code of honor regarding a string of numbers and gets tpk'd.
>>
>the spin-offs are better than the main games

gamefreak needs to go, I'd rather have a game developed by one of those spin-off companies
>>
>>32741488
>tpk'd
what?
>>
>>32740066

The theory is that Genius Senority owns the scenerio rights so GF can't reference the games out paying for it.
>>
>>32741504
Total party kill
>>
>>32740234
>XD
it's GoD.
>>
>>32741538
I still don't see what the big deal is.
>>
>>32741539
calling a game "GoD" (god) feels at least as weird to me
>>
File: 7144948.gif (254KB, 170x112px)
7144948.gif
254KB, 170x112px
>>32741552
This is just my autism flaring up, I don't expect pleople to get it.
>>
>>32741637
What, is it a "self limitations are retarded" type of thing?
>>
>>32737658
only Umbreon Espeon (who are also gender locked)ho-oh and plusle are shiny locked
>>
>>32737658
On the contrary, the shadow pokemon are the only pokemon that can be shiny in Colosseum
>>
>>32741645
More like a self limitations are retarded when
>You're recording for the internet
>You're not doing a challenge run
>You spit in the face of common sense
>>
>>32741709
>NO FUN ALLOWED
>>
>>32736965
Pinball
>>
>>32736965
Oops, you seemed to have made a mistake in your post there OP. I know it's 4chan and we're supposed to mercilessly roast you for it, but I'll let slide this time.
>>
>>32741728
>No doing illogical things that make the recorders life harder
>>
>>32741761
>self challenges are bad
>>
>>32741751
They need to make an up to date one for either the 3DS or Switch
>>
>>32741783
Self challenges=/=illogical actions
>>
>Whoa...dude...the protagonist is a former member of the evil team and has a motorcycle and steals Pokémon...so badass...it's almost as cool as my favorite game, Shadow the Hedgehog...
>Shadow Pokémon can only be seen by some bitch with MAAAAAGIC POOOOOWERRRRRRRS who is entirely useless save for that one character trait, thankfully replaced by a literal scouter in the sequel that does not talk and is not terrible in every way, shape and form
>at numerous points the game tries to be quirky and fails miserably, Miror B. being one example, only loved because of his music
>the HUUUUGE TWIST at the end is terrible, luckily the sequel's is even worse so it looks better by comparison
>no wild Pokémon at all, only marginally improved by the sequel, basically you take what you can get from other people and force yourself to live with it
>raising Shadow Pokémon is tedious bullshit, made much easier in the sequel
>the Shadow moves only SEEM good when used against you but they're actually not very good at all so you gotta have the other Pokémon carry them at all times
>Made almost exclusively to let people get Johto Pokémon to fill the RS National Dex so they could actually catch 'em all, and even then they had a backup plan in the form of Altering Cave

Why do people like this garbage again?
>>
>"Shadow Pokemon are super powerful!"
>they cant level up
>they cant get evs
>they cant learn other moves

Weren't Cipher handicapping themselves with shadow pokemon?
>>
>>32741915
>Why do people like this garbage again?
it was GF actually trying something completely new at the time. compare it to what we had seen up to the point. yeah, most of the flaws you pointed out are legitimate (although some are exaggerated), but back in the day everyone was dying for a 3D Pokemon adventure, and this delivered on a level you can't appreciate unless you were there, and GoD improved upon it in basically every way
>>
>>32741915
>Why do people like this garbage again?
Because they don't see it the same way you do. But that's alright though, because they have fun
>>
>>32741996
>Because they don't see it the same way you do.
I could use that same line of reasoning to claim Sonic 06 is a good game, that doesn't make it actually a good game. Don't make me use a food analogy.

>>32741995
>it was GF actually trying something completely new at the time
New =/= Good
I thought we established this with New Coke.
>compare it to what we had seen up to the point
Stadium 1 and 2? Games which had everything Colosseum had excluding Hoenn Pokémon without any of the ridiculous story or gimmicks?
I mean even RS were better besides being 2D. I don't see why 3D was so huge since Stadium did it first and everyone hated X and Y shifting the series to full 3D.
>and GoD improved upon it in basically every way
This is essentially true. I will not argue this.
>>
>>32742061
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE
Not everyone who likes it claims it's overly great or anything. It has it's flaws.
>>
>>32742079
The OP of this very thread is calling it the greatest spinoff of the series.
>>
>>32742090
Then ask him, why are you being so aggressive towards me? Maybe the mods need to intervene :\
>>
because of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZsOwo9rhsQ
>>
File: IMG_3577.jpg (44KB, 327x340px)
IMG_3577.jpg
44KB, 327x340px
>>32742099
Is this bait?
I hope this is bait.
If this is bait then it's really good bait.
>>
>>32737178
>Slowking is female.
WHAT!?
>>
>>32736994
>more mature
you are cancer killing pokemon
>>
>>32741535
No copyright or trademarking law is that strict. Even if that happened, all they would be forbidden from doing isnamecalling places and characters or using their designs. Referencing stuff like "an oasis city in the middle of a desert where no wild pokémon live" or "a group of evil people that experimented on pokémon in a region far to the west" or "I knew a boy who rebeled against the group of thieves he was part of".

Rather than that, it's probably about GF's unwillingness to acknowledge spin-off regions as something that could exist within their world. The most they've done is put Ranger regions as OT's and place of origin as "Pokémon Ranger" (until they changed this to Johto/Sinnoh)
>>
>>32736965
>>>>>not Mystery Dungeon or at least Revolution
Disgusting
>>
>>32741995
>compare it to what we had seen up to the point
At that point the formula already felt repetitive. Then we got three more generations of exactly the same stuff and when they got and change it up on the seventh, people cry because MUH GYMS
I just don't understand anything.
>>
>>32736965
That's not Pokken
>>
>>32741751
This was better than it had any right to be. Probably loved it as equally as I did the original games back in the day.
>>
>>32743085
>Revolution
Shit's barebones as fuck, it's just a 3D Battle Frontier and you can't use any rentals. Stadium 2 at least lets you challenge Gym Leaders and has more than just battling.
>>
File: 1478604854642.jpg (60KB, 640x577px)
1478604854642.jpg
60KB, 640x577px
It's the best spinoff because it actually makes pokemon work as a single player game
>Pokemon you catch are at a high level and have acceptable movesets, allowing you to replace your team on the fly without dragging around a piece of dead weight 10 levels below your team.
>Double battles allow for more strategy, both on your side and the opponents. Most strategy in singles requires hard to find moves and a thinking opponent
>Enemy teams are balanced, allowing all your pokemon to be useful instead of dumping all your xp into whoever has a type advantage
>You start with two good pokemon, instead of deadweight that has to wait until it can kill rats in under 5 turns
Fukken wall clinging cipher goons taking you by surprise
It took pokemon, and it made it into a competent single player experience. That's why it's the best one
>>
>>32743470
You have rentals my nig, but who tf uses them anyway any any Colosseum-esque game? they're always shit. always
>>
>>32743470
I remember back in the time everyone hated PBR because no minigames.
Then they released Pokepark and everyone hated it.

Anyway, I very gladly trade rentals for the many stadium types they had. I got more mileage out of it than either Stadium.
>>
>>32743526
>Fukken wall clinging cipher goons taking you by surprise
I had the theory they were half human half spider. They went overboard with that in XD.

>>32743709
The only time I ever used rentals was that time I played Stadium on an emulator.
There's just no reason to ever use rentals when you can connect with a mainline game.
>>
>>32743805
agreed
>>
I just want a handheld Pokemon game that's every bit as challenging as Colosseum.

Just a difficulty setting is all I ask.
>>
I wish main game villain teams used a wider variety of Pokémon like in the Orre games (Miror B using Ludicolo or Nascour using Blaziken for example), only the Aether foundation did that.
>>
>>32743970
What made Colosseum more challenging went way beyond tweaking a few numbers though.
>>
>>32743805
I like PBR but Stadium-style rentals are useful if you just want to pick up and play with a friend. PBR's Factory-style rentals aren't bad for single player or online, though, since a few mons are actually good enough to be used in battle.
>>
>>32743986
The AI was just much more tougher in the Colosseum games. With moves that check a lot of counters. With legendaries and pseudo legendaries to boot. None of this fighting trainers with 1 or 2 mons.

The closest to a challenging fight in the handhelds was Ghetsis in BW.
>>
>>32743986
This. You can't just buff their stats and give them better teams. And it's not just AI. The game needs to give you tools to fight the bullshit, otherwise you're going to be stuck grinding to keep your full team of 6 going
>>
>>32744173
Well, giving them better teams is one of the things I meant. Another one is better AI and double battles. Then starting at a higher level to deal with it.
>>
>>32744202
Yeah that's pretty much Colosseum. Double battles solve so many in game problems though. There's no shift/set, less ways to cheese through stacking buffs, you can spread xp easier, it's just better all around.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.