[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you like simplicity in Pokémon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Rayquaza_Encounter.png (821KB, 622x892px) Image search: [Google]
Rayquaza_Encounter.png
821KB, 622x892px
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_FireRed_and_LeafGreen_Versions#Development
>Game Freak's Junichi Masuda stated that these games were developed around the idea of simplicity[9][10].
>>
Yes, but it looks like they are mistaking "simplicity" with "lazyness".

Look how a flower used to look in Pokémon like Venusaur, Meganium or Vileplume: simple, but still quite detailed, believable, with a proper shape and its own thickness.
Then look how the drew Comfey's flowers. Flat casual identical monochromatic shapes. It's clear they're trying to go back to semplicity, but they're clearing mistaking it with bland (and fake) carelessness.
>>
>>32734685
Sugimori himself has said that he didn't like drawing Venusaur due to its complexity.
>>
>>32734685
style =/= lazyness

First of all, its a kid games, and kids are more drawn to simple shapes and colours, hence why art styles like Beatrix Potters more detailed look have gone out of fashion in children's work.

Second of all, its much harder to do these simpler designs, due to the fact they are simple. The shapes have to be perfect and compliment each other, where as the old detail style was more organic, thus mistakes in anatomy could be excused. However, this makes for less consistent artwork. See Sugimori's work of Charizard on the Red cover and that promotional piece with Red and Blue facing off. Charizard's chin is massive on the latter.

Lastly, simple designs are more effective and visually pleasing. Compare a graphical album cover that cleverly uses complimenting shapes and colours, such a "Keane Under The Iron Sea", to the likes of a metal album such as Iron Maiden Killers. Tell me which one looks more pleasing.

More detail doesn't always mean better. Im an illustrator turned graphic designer and it's something I've had to wrap my head a round. Sugimori could easily have added more appendages and line shading to Tyrantrum, but he didn't because it would tarnish the design and draw the eye away from it's iconic concepts.
>>
>>32734685
>>32734702
>>32734756
You guys realize that Masuda wasn't referring to Pokémon designs, right? He's not a visual artist.
>>
>>32734592
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
>>
>>32735322
OK, when do you like it?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.