[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't we get a quality pokemon game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

We've had the same formula for two decades with little to no innovation.

For example what's stopping developers from using say:

-The breath of the wild engine for the open world
-Climbing, bike, boat mechanics
-Having simple customized mc's
-taking control of the pokemon you send out.
-each pokemon has stats denoting movement speed, damage and type, defence ect.
-pokemon can run, fly, dig, teleport with a stamina bar
-attacks mapped to the face buttons and can be held down for a secondary effect.
-An online hub zone for battles and trading.
(Or even better a dark souls like pvp based off of highest level in party)

And that's literally it.
Hell they could even cheap it out and port the models from the handheld games to the switch and add movement animations.

What's stopping the japs /vp/? Why can't we get the game we've wanted since we were kids?
>>
>We've had the same formula for two decades with little to no innovation
yes it's called the core series of the Pokémon games for a reason, the formula is not supposed to change when it works
>>
>>32719541
They just don't give a shit, I think.

The current formula sells incredibly well and they only have to do the bare minimum of work. Why try harder?
>>
>>32719541
>We've had the same formula for two decades with little to no innovation.
>what are trials
>>
Don't change something that's not broken.

Sales are amazing. Game freak will not see any critism until money comes out there. Pocket. With how small Pokemon budgets. They really don't need to sale or huge promtion that much to be profitable
>>
>>32719558
The newest Zelda title completely revamped the formula and became one of the best selling game of the series.
>>
>>32719607
shit
>>
>The breath of the wild engine for the open world

Clearly you know nothing about game development, while they probably could license the engine from Nintendo EPD at a reasonable price the team at Game Freak would still have to take the time to LEARN AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT ENGINE that they didn't build in-house and as a result the games would be even buggier with less content because they'd have to do a lot of modification to add the majority of the pokemon specific mechanics to a delicate system they don't fully understand and run out of time because believe me, AAA studios under large publishers do not get to set their own development and release schedules.
>>
>>32719616
BotW didn't revamp the formula, it simply went back to its roots from the original NES game.
>>
>>32719541
Hurr durr, why can't I have my Final Fantasy with 800 classes yet?
>>
>>32719541
Do you know why?

You already know why.

Because Game Freak are not competent developers. They will continue making children's games until children stop wanting to play their children's games.
>>
>>32719616
It didnt revamp the formula, its basically The original and LttP's "can go most anywhere but theres still objectives to do" only with shitty breakable weapon cancer on top.
>>
>>32719816
Yeah I knew. I just wish a fan made game with these ideas got released and fans of the series could enjoy something with effort put in instead of being spoon fed the same shit for decades.
>>
>>32719775
Dude it was an example, I understand why developers don't licence other engines on the regular.
>>
>>32719541
>Why can't we get the game we've wanted
the majority of that sounds like shit to be honest.
>>
>>32719807
Eating the same meal for the rest of your life.
>>
It is spinoff material, a drastic change to the main series won't make it good and actually balancing it with the current number of Pokemon would be near impossible
>>
>>32719541
You don't seem to understand how this thing works, do you? There's only so many innovations you can take in a game like Pokemon. For one, making it open world is pretty much impossible with the Level system. It'll fuck up the game balance completely. It would take too long to balance every wild Pokemon and Trainer to be around your level if it was open world.
Then comes the combat system. BoTW can make changes, as Zelda series never had a set way it worked. In Pokemon, with Turn-Based combat, types and such, you have a combat system that cannot be changed. If you changed that, it's no longer the Pokemon people always liked.

If you want innovations in Pokemon, play the spinoffs. They're nothing like the main series. The Ranger, MD, even Pokken and fucking Duel and GO give you completely different Pokemon experience. The main series is the main series because this is what people like. Changing that means it's no longer the same game or series people liked.

If you want something different, Pokemon makes enough spinoffs. Ask for more. Asking to change what others like just because muh innovation is just being retardedly selfish. Pokemon has been innovative enough with the franchise. And they bring more innovation to the main series with each game, like with Trails, Mega Evolution, new types and Z-moves. And I'm okay with that. I get my innovation to the core series and I get my completely different games just labeled Pokemon.
>>
File: 1448962039283.png (289KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1448962039283.png
289KB, 600x600px
>>32719541
Because the journey isn't the important part of the Pokemon games.

Battling and trading is.
>>
>>32720204
Easy to criticize and not come up with good ideas, how would you change it the system if it were up to you?
>>
>>32720218
It is really insane what you want, basically an action/fps Pokemon game, the change that you may want might not be the best to bring the series forward, Pokemon can be changed for the better, but mindlessly agreeing with suggestions from others won't make Pokemon as good as it used to be
>>
>>32720240
Yeah, I've been doing turned based shit for 20 years, give me something fast paced like an actual fight.
>>
>>32720235
Or you could just have higher level areas to avoid like older RPGs.

The switch is the first portable console that allows the social concept of pokemon like finding friends to battle and trade, with the production value of a powerful platform. I see nothing wrong with moving battles to real time and gamefreak are too pussy to try something new.
>>
>>32719794
Are you fucking kidding me?
>>
>>32719541
What are side games
>>
They should have a pmd open world mmorpg like monster hunter where you can part up with your friends and go on quests
>>
>>32719616
I liked old Zelda better, better stories and a reason to do something instead of just running around for hours and hours and also no good music in the backround which make the adventure in botw so empty
>>
>>32719816
Which would never happen.....
>>
>>32719560
This is the correct answer, and it is also the answer to "why doesn't (company) just do X to improve (game/movie/etc)?"

Answer: if what they're doing makes profit, there is no reason put in extra effort from a business point of view.
>>
>>32719541
It's all about the risk reward-ratio. Why pump a shitload of money into an ambitious project that might alienate a part of the fanbase for a marginally increased profit when you can do the same cheap shit you've always been doing and still make bank.
We won't get a good Pokemon game until they make one that is really badly received first.
>>
>>32720857
Low effort money grabbers.
>>
>>32719541
This idea is fucking retarded let me hit you with something better

-keep the turnbased because I don't want all my battles to be fucking pokken matches
-fucking remove the open world Idea and replace it with a map with larger cities and routes with lots of hidden areas to explore
-remove random encounters and have wild pokemon run around routes and cities. With this system you can implement interesting things like having to lure pokemon to you because they run away when you walk up to them normally, and being able to guarantee the first move by sneaking behind. Tons of other features are possible with this as well.
-basically just make the world feel more alive and real, with pokemon running around an expansive map there is cool things you can do and a lot of new ways to make pokemon difficult or rare to catch other than just get lucky with rng
-online hub zone is trash festival plaza was a mistake bring back a PSS-like system or maybe a combination of both where PSS-like system will just keep you online and notify you to enter the hub zone when someone is trying to battle or trade with you

Improving a game is about making the core concept of the game work better, not throwing everything out the window and having to rework fucking everything.
>>
>>32719816

There will always be a fresh set of children who haven't been corrupted by cynicism to market to. You're fighting a losing battle.
>>
>>32719541
>open world

Kys

No no actually I'm seriously so fuck that Kill Your Self.
>>
>>32719541
>BoTW was successful
>let's make all games like BoTW now!

Seriously though OP kys
>>
>>32721345
>>32721356
This, but heck look at the Ops pic, it's clearly a normie.
>>
>>32721342
But they exist and many are good
>>
>>32721352
And how can OP's suggestions not be broken down into selfish desires, you can white knight and pretend you are doing it for honourable reasons, Pokemon was a turn based game in the first place, if you don't like it like that then you hate the series in the first place, you are rejecting all of the earlier entries as good and exciting games, breaking tradition is good sometimes, but unless you can propose anything of merit that takes into account the thoughts of many you will have a short and self centred scope
>>
>>32719541
Remember when Black/White got rid of all the old Pokemon besides 1 or 2?

Remember when Sun/Moon got rid of Gyms and HMs?

>The breath of the wild engine for the open world
A lot of us dream of a Pokemon World where we can battle gyms in any order and their Pokemon change depending on how many badges we have.
>Climbing, bike, boat mechanics
Rock Climb. Bikes have been a thing bar SM. Kids don't know how to drive boats.
>Having simple customized mc's
What is XYSMUSUM
>taking control of the pokemon you send out
Like actually playing the pokemon? a Pokken/Rumble/Mystery Dungeon style game would probably be cool I guess.
>pokemon can run, fly, dig, teleport with a stamina bar
I can't really see that in a good way for a Pokemon game.
Okami doesn't use stamina for those things, neither does Xenoblade I think.
>>
>>32721551
>Remember when Black/White got rid of all the old Pokemon besides 1 or 2?
I do, people constantly whined about this.

Please understand that OP is a newfag from /v/.
>>
>>32721574
I enjoyed it despite the similarities been them and older pokemon.
>>32721551
>pokemon can run, fly, dig, teleport with a stamina bar
>I can't really see that in a good way for a Pokemon game.
>Okami doesn't use stamina for those things, neither does Xenoblade I think.

I was think outside of battles, but inside battles stamina might find a way to work? Like some flying pokemon can't stay in the air for too long.
>>
>>32721623
The similarities are due to Generation V introducing 156 Pokémon. Since they were meant to reboot the series, Game Freak went ahead and surpassed the amount of Pokémon introduced in Generation I by 5.
>>
>>32719541
Because you idiots keep buying the same shit over and over again.
>>
>>32721682
That's not a valid argument. There are spin-off games.
>>
>>32721682
>I want (Description of game)
>Should I buy (Description of game) or a game nothing like it so that I can whine because I didn't buy the game I wanted
>>
File: -this-shit-always-happens.jpg (38KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
-this-shit-always-happens.jpg
38KB, 460x460px
>>32721375
>>32721574
Nigga gfto, I was playing red when I was 7 and won a tournament at a midnight launch of sun and Moon. I'm just bored of the rehashed and lazy as fuck game by now and the majority of you jobbers are clutching at muh turn based battles and getting dicked by rng.
>>
>>32721851
Have you ever considered playing Zelda or Final Fantasy instead, I mean, it is not like other game series besides Pokemon exist, if you are bored of Pokemon then try something fresh like a Pokemon spinoff or an entirely different game,nobody is forcing you to buy Pokemon, I acknowledge that I am probably talking too politely for a whining shitposter
>>
>>32721851
See >>32719558 >>32721699 and the rest of the thread, really.
>>
>>32721851
>muh turn based battles
If you dislike then play other things nigga.
I fucking love turn based battles.
>>
>>32720279
I believe what you're looking for is called Pokken
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.