[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favourite Games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Torterra.png (703KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
Torterra.png
703KB, 650x650px
Alright, /vp/, what's your favourite game and why?
(Also, why the gen 6/7 hate?)
>>
>>32717520
Bw2.
>Also, why the gen 6/7 hate?
I only dislike (not hate) the 6th generation.
>>
>>32717520
>Alright, /vp/, what's your favourite game and why?
HGSS, I think the graphical style is nice and the original games were already great games that added a lot to the series. I also personally think the older games had great music because the Gameboy was limited to three sound channels so they had to make simple melodies that were catchy. HGSS usually did a pretty good job with remaking the music and if you didn't like a particular song then there was always the GB Sounds.

>(Also, why the gen 6/7 hate?)
It's more a hate for what direction the series is taking rather than a hate for the games themselves. I don't think the later games are awful, but there are a number of design decisions that dissapoint me. First of all, the regions have been vastly simplified. Compare regions like Hoenn and Sinnoh, where paths would branch out in multiple directions and the towns/routes would all interconnect with one another, to regions like Unova, Kalos and Alola, where your only choice is to go either forwards or backwards. BW2 did expand upon Unova, which is one of the many reason why it was a more enjoyable game for me. I can only hope that USUM do the same with the Alola region, although the Alola Region is a lot worse than Unova in my opinion.

And it's not just the regions that have been simplified, most aspects of the game have been simplified. There's not a single area of the game that even remotely challenges you in the modern games. I'm not talking about the game's difficulty, since every Pokemon game is pretty easy as far as battling goes. I'm more referring to puzzles that forced you to think a little or caves that required you to have a good sense of direction. Victory Road used to be a draining experience that tested your resistance as a trainer, but Alola's Victory Road was pretty much a straight line.

I'm running out of space so I'll continue in another post.
>>
>>32717688
Then there's the way the later games handle progression. The older games used natural objects to impede progression and it's usually not a straight forward path to get somewhere. For example, you needed to wake up Snorlax to reach Fuchsia City. To do that, you need the Pokeflute, which you get from Mr Fuji after saving him in the Pokemon Tower. To get to the top of Pokemon Tower, you need the Silph Scope which you get from the Silph Co. building in Saffron City. In order to get access into the building, you need to clear the Rocket Hideout in Celadon. In the modern Pokemon games, there's an NPC blocking your path who goes away whenever you complete the local story objective. And the player conveniently gets gifted whatever item they need to traverse further through the game by an NPC at the exact moment they need it. Another example would be the guards who stop you from entering Saffron because they're thirsty. You have to actively search for the lady who gives you Tea to quench their thirst. If this was a modern Pokemon game, the old lady would probably gift you the tea as soon as you enter Celadon (or the guards would just suddenly stop being thirsty).

There's the characters and the way the story is handled too. In the previous games, you were just a kid going on an adventure with your Pokemon. In Sun/Moon, you met with two legendary Pokemon before you even get your starter Pokemon and the island guardian recognised you as a chosen hero. The new games also introduce a cast of characters who suck your dick and won't fuck off. And in ORAS, you get gifted a Latias/Latios with a megastone because it recognises that you're the perfect trainer and it wants to suck your dick too. While the older characters were a lot more simple and shallow, I honestly prefered that because they just let you get on with the game without having a lengthy conversation with you every time you entered a new town.

I'll finish off in the next post.
>>
>favourite game
Silver, followed by Platinum, BW2 and HGSS. I don't really understand the gen 6/7 hate either. I don't like them as much as some other games, but I also like them better than others.
>>
>>32717849
I'm not averse to Pokemon games having a more complex story, but I am averse to the way they try to do it. The later games just force you through a ton of cutscenes and dialogue in order to get the story and backstory across to the player. I much prefered the way the older games handled it, particularly the journals in the Pokemon Mansion that described Mew/Mewtwo's origin and the Canalave library that told you about the origin of Sinnoh. It was entirely optional but still there if players were interested in it. That makes subsequent playthroughs of those games much more tolerable because you don't have to sit through what adds up to a significant amount of time of exposition.

Finally, there's the lack of polish of the 3DS games. A lot of my complaints can be applied to gen 5 as well, but gen 5 still felt like finished, polished games. XY, ORAS and SM all felt like they could have done with an additional year of development time. XY had pretty good pacing up to the third gym but it all fell apart after that and the rest of the game just sped by. ORAS's message about the Battle Frontier hinted that they intended to include it but they didn't have time. And with Sun/Moon, Team Aether had pretty much no build-up whatsoever and it's as if Game Freak forgot they needed a climactic battle with the evil team and just threw them in the game after the third island. There's also the Ultra Beast hunt being a bunch of random encounters rather than having overworld models and a cave to find them in like most other legendaries in the series. There's also the poor framerates that plague the 3DS games, there are better looking games on the 3DS that run better so Game Freak have no excuse. I'd personally be fine with waiting another year for those games. Like Miyamoto says, "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." But Game Freak felt the need to shit the games out as quickly as possible to make a quick profit.
>>
>>32717539
Are you me?
>>
>>32717988
Turns out I needed more characters to finish off my rant than I expected.

It's things like this that don't make me optimistic for the future of the series. USUM seem to be upgraded versions of SM and perhaps they'll have more polish than SM and feel like finished games. But that just raises the question, why did they bother releasing SM last year if they weren't finished? Obviously it was the 20th anniversary last year but was it really worth releasing an unfinished game just to meet an arbitrary deadline? Plus I don't see the other issues I have with the modern games being fixed. There will almost certainly still be an overreliance on cutscenes, the characters will almost certainly still suck your dick and never leave you alone, your progression through the game will almost certainly be extremely railroaded and you'll be lead along by extreme handholding. The game will still lack any sort of thought in order to traverse the overworld and get to the next area where you can trigger the next cutscene. The only things I can expect them to fix are the poor Pokemon diversity of SM and perhaps making the region slightly more interesting. They may also fix the shitty fishing mechanics and vastly improve Festival Plaza. I'd honestly much rather they didn't bother making USUM and focused on making the next generation of Pokemon games more polished. It's a shame because Pokemon is such a great concept, it's why I've stuck with the series for so long. But I can only see the series softening rather than moving forwards at this point.
>>
BW2 äsince it continues the story from bw and has a whole lot of side stuff to enjoy.

I don't hate gen 6 and 7. BW2 set a standard, and it shouln't be too much to ask for future games to be as good or better than them.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.