[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did 4kids make the best opening themes or is it just my nostalgia?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 10

File: brock32.png (227KB, 401x282px) Image search: [Google]
brock32.png
227KB, 401x282px
Did 4kids make the best opening themes or is it just my nostalgia?
>>
>>32717088
just your nostalgia
>>
>>32717088
It's your nostalgia and the majority of others.

Objectively speaking, Hirokazu Tanaka blew shit out of the water quite easily.
>>
Yayooo yayoooo DREAMING!
>>
>watching the anime in English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdLZfxBD0jI
>>
>>32717088
4kids made far better opening themes than anything TPCi shat out themselves.

Nobody cares about the weebshit despite what /padt/ wants you to think. Remember how much they tried to convince the XY&Z opening to be the best thing ever, yet nobody gives a shit about it now?
>>
File: doko.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
doko.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>32717244
>Nobody cares about the weebshit
>>
>>32717088
Out of the english ones yes
Especially the Advanced Battle (their last one)
>>
Except for Japanese openings yes. Way better than the Best Wishes and XY openings. Disney is the worst though they didn't even bother with an opening for Sun and Moon.
>>
>>32717244
>Popular means it's better
>>
I wanna be the very best
>>
>>32717088
The first intro is legendary! There's a few other good ones as well but most are unremarkable.
>>
>>32717275
/padt/ has around 30 individual posters.
That's nobody.
>>
>>32717114
CHILLIN' OUT WITH THE CREW IN THE SCHOOL YARD
GOTTA GO FAST!
KIRBY KIRBY KIRBY
But it's hard to save the world when you're fallin' in love...
>>
File: IMG_0364.png (843KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0364.png
843KB, 1334x750px
It sounds pretty cheesy, but it captured that typical 90s cartoon theme sound. It was catchy, as well. If you see the guy singing it on Youtube, you can tell he's giving his all based on how much his eyes buldge out while singing it.
>>
>>32717244
4Kids replaced the original music, much of which was rearranged from the games, to some in-house bullshit that no one cares about
>>
IT'S TIME TO D-D-D-D-DDDDDD-DUEL!
>>
>>32717445
This
And don't know why someone would take a bunch of weebs seriously who call Pokemon by their Japanese names. As annoying as those weebs that pronounce Goku like "Guku".
>>
>>32717416
Like no Genwunner was
>>
>>32717088
Making good theme songs was one of the only things 4kids was good at (though that's mostly when compared to other English themes).
>>
>>32717469
wow it's almost like Pokémon is a Japanese creation or something
>>
>>32717477
See >>32717114 and >>32717448, maybe >>32717467
>>
>>32717469
>As annoying as those weebs that pronounce Goku like "Guku".
What kind of faggot would do that, that's not correct in any language.
>>
File: 20111124-210114.jpg (192KB, 575x535px) Image search: [Google]
20111124-210114.jpg
192KB, 575x535px
>>32717088
No. The japanese openings are almost always objectively better. Sure, they were better than the TPCi ones, but literally anything is better than that. Why can't they just translate the japanese openings?
I mean, just compare these two:
https://youtu.be/3iuNoSg5kUQ
https://youtu.be/_QDWLiI11o0

I will never not be mad at 4kids.
>>
>>32717479
But this board is mainly English speakers, so most everyone here doesn't understand what the fuck they're referring to.
>>32717496
Like that faggot from Team Four Skin, who does Goku's voice in that unfunny abridged series. He gets anal if people don't pronounce the characters' names as the Japanese do.
>>
>>32717512
you only find love for 4Kids from Americans since it's an American company

the rest of the world couldn't care less if they watched the original Japanese with subs, we're not childish enough that things have to sound MURRICAN to be understood
>>
>>32717492
Regardless of how they compare to the original Japanese openings (they're worse), those are all catchy themes that are pretty good by American cartoon standards.

Well, the Sonic X theme isn't really any worse than the Japanese one, musically or lyrically.
>>
File: 1349987096035.jpg (17KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1349987096035.jpg
17KB, 500x334px
>it's another I say Pokemon is not a Japanese product episode

Amerifats are deluded as fuck.
>>
I love the Pokemon themes up until whatever came after Master Quest. And the Master Quest theme really only sounded good in the Pokemon Heroes opening. The original intro can and has brought me to tears from the sheer force of the nostalgia, through. Pokemon was my childhood, man.
>>
>>32717534
Most European localization teams translated Pokémon from the 4Kids dub into the native language, instead of directly from Japanese.
The first opening themes are therefore very similar in most western releases, and are in general credited to 4Kids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64EI5ZI-Xc
>>
>>32717586
sure but that was prolly because of licensing issues more than anything

NOA and 4Kids controlled Pokémon outside Asia before PUSA (now TPCi) was created.
>>
Unbeatable is unbeatable.

But TCPi made good openings for the dp era too, aside from the rap and even that was nice once you took out the vocals.
>>
>>32717570
Nobody is saying that.
We're just calling out weebs that say the Japanese Pokémon openings are objectively better than 4Kids'.
That actually makes you a weeb by the word's intended meaning.
>>
>>32717570
No, there's a difference when we're talking western standards, and what we grew up with. We didn't grow up with the original Japanese theme song. Why do weebs think they're trans-Japanese?
>>
>>32717599
>intended
it has none, weeb is short for weeaboo which came from some comic in like 2001 where some guy randomly shouts WEE-A-BOO which means absolutely nothing
>>
>>32717599
You're on a board literally dedicated to a Japanese franchise, weeb. Why aren't you on /v/ discussing murrican games?
>>
>>32717610
>the Weeaboo defense
You just want to be called an otaku, since it would imply you're a Japanese nerd, which you clearly are not Japanese.
>>
>>32717602
>implying people think they're trans-Japanese because they appreciate the original work more than the mess that 4Kids did
lol you're arguing from nostalgia tbqh
>>
>>32717602
>what I grew up with is always better because I grew up with it
You grew up with gen 1 too, so you're a genwunner, right?
>>
>>32717114
Wait. I have heard that before but can't recall where. I hate this feeling.
>>
>>32717619
>otaku
but I'm not one

and since when is knowledge of facts a defense?
>>
>>32717634
One piece
>>
>>32717599
You only think a low quality dub it's better than the original version just because you are a) too stupid to understand another language or b) too self centred to accept your own language doesn't fit a Japanese product.
>>
Voglio andare dove mi va, e non fermarmi mai...
>>
>>32717602
>We didn't grow up with the original Japanese theme song

I had internet access when I got into Pokemon, so I guess it was just a case-by-case basis. Literally one of the first websites for the Pokemon anime I got into was that site that influenced both Serebii and the Universal Pokemon Network run by that Canadian couple and I remember the girl was recommending everyone check out the Japanese theme just to know how awesome it was.

1998 was a crazy time, being a weeb was admirable then.
>>
>>32717244
but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQuObfTx6Cg was super good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83wpx86QNCM is my favorite, I like it more than other gens opening.
>>
File: Damn he got me.jpg (5KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
Damn he got me.jpg
5KB, 224x225px
>if you claim something Japanese is better than something American you're a weeb
>he says on a board about a Japanese media franchise
>>
>>32717618
Pokémon is the third best selling video game franchise in the world.
Implying it is anything but one of the most accessible children franchises in the world is just dumb.

Also not sure if you have noticed but I 99% of the people here use the English names for characters and pokémon. Only the weebiest of /padt/ posters use the Japanese names.
>>
>>32717667
Not sure if you've noticed, but you were talking about songs up there, not names.
>>
>American Pokemon fans didn't grow up with the Japanese theme

Only if you didn't own Pinball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xndA54jz4R0
>>
>>32717657
The entire "everything in Japanese is weeb" autism didn't start until the generation that grew up on dubbed Naruto came along and started fighting with the slightly older kids that had grown up on subbed Naruto.
>>
>>32717647
>a) too stupid to understand another language
I can guarantee you most of the anons watching pokémon in Japanese do not understand Japanese.
> b) too self centred to accept your own language doesn't fit a Japanese product.
That makes zero sense. Just because something is made in Japan does not mean it can't work in any other language.
>>
File: 57493935_p4_master1200.jpg (740KB, 900x1100px) Image search: [Google]
57493935_p4_master1200.jpg
740KB, 900x1100px
>>32717667
Japanese fans acknowledge US names time to time. Not just of Pokemon either.
>>
>50 posts
>21 posters
>a whole bunch of similarly-written angry posts that all toss out the same illogical arguments and insults
Really boggles the canoodle
>>
>>32717689
>Just because something is made in Japan does not mean it can't work in any other language.

It could work, but will never surpass the original.
>>
>>32717689
I doubt you watch international dubs of American shows on the off chance those dubs may be better than the original, anon. I mean, you never know.
>>
>>32717672
I was just making a comparison. Since nobody in the thread as mentioned why the Japanese openings are better than the early 4Kids' openings. Besides "they're different therefore they're worse".
>>
File: PBF071-Weeaboo.gif (76KB, 900x300px) Image search: [Google]
PBF071-Weeaboo.gif
76KB, 900x300px
>>32717681
Also, here's the origin of the word "weeaboo".

http://pbfcomics.com/comics/weeaboo/
>>
>>32717681
That's such a trifle, considering the dub was actually more faithful than most hackjobs.
Especially when there was a whole generation of retards convinced 4Kids was dubbing Naruto or at least using 4Kids as a buzzword anyway.
>>
>>32717720
I do. I'm not American.
I watch most Disney movies in both English and in my native language to see which one I like better.
>>
>>32717689
>I can guarantee you most of the anons watching pokémon in Japanese do not understand Japanese.

If you can download shit on your drive, the subtitle files can always be downloaded later. Shit's not rocket science.
>>
>>32717743
But do you watch other foreign language dubs of shit from your native language? I mean, it might be better.
>>
>>32717738
>considering the dub was actually more faithful than most hackjobs
you never watched The Legend of Thunder, have you? 4Kids completely ruined it, not to mention that they cut out 30 minutes on purpose

also, they admit to change stuff so it becomes incorrect because it sounds funny (see Jessie and James identifying a Pokémon wrongly in the dub of the first movie as an example)
>>
>>32717721
>I just changed what we were talking about to something that I felt more comfortable defending despite it not having been brought up at all
Just stop, you're embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>32717748
That wasn't the point.
The anon I replied to said
>I bet you're too stupid to understand Japanese!
Then I simply replied that most people defending the original don't understand it either. And are watching subs instead of raw.
>>
>>32717164
>not watching is in English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlNw_ZbrF6A
>>
>>32717759
I was referring to Naruto.
>>
>>32717768
but the subs are oftentimes accurate translations of the original (assuming you watch proper subs) and you can clearly see how botched the dub is, whether it's 4Kids or TPCi
>>
>>32717767
Please explain why the original Japanese themes are objectively better then. Because nobody has made any other points beside "the original is always best".
>>
>>32717768
One can still pick up on words from watching foreign language material. Not all shit just goes in one ear and out the other. Some things DO stick.
>>
>>32717461
Most of the game remixes were kept. It was the other, less memorable songs that generally got replaced. (And insert songs)
>>
>>32717738
That's not really the point. What happened was that a bunch of kids had grown up on subbed Naruto, then some slightly younger kids grew up on dubbed Naruto and considered the idea of watching Naruto subbed as some kind of insult towards their childhoods. Hence the need for them to find some kind of catch-all insult they could use towards those older kids, since "if you watch things in nip you're a weeb" sounds slightly better than "if you watch the original show you grew up on instead of the later dub I grew up on you're not watching it right".

Yeah, it's dumb, but we're talking 9 year olds here.
>>
>>32717786
You will learn the names and some frequently used words like sugoii, gome, yare yare, and so on. But you do not understand the language.
>>
>>32717702
>people argue
Wow!
>>
>>32717785
>please explain why this one song is better than this one other song
>if you can't you're a buzzword insult

Why don't you explain why all the dub songs are so objectively much better than the Japanese ones that anyone that disagrees MUST have some sort of autistic love for Japan?
>>
>>32717782
I'm not denying that the 4Kids openings are drastically different from the Japanese. Both in compsition and in lyrics.
I'm asking why them being different makes them objectively worse.
>>
>>32717793
or they could simply not replace the music in the first place and actually do their damn job, which is to translate the anime and put local VAs speaking
>>
>>32717793
>Most of the game remixes were kept.
Blatant lie.
>>
>>32717799
The term Japanophile, which weeaboo came from, LONG predates the Naruto dub.
>>
>>32717833
But that's wrong. "Weeaboo" came from this early 2000s comic >>32717726
>>
>>32717811
I never said they were objectively better. I said I liked them better. And that they succeeded in being catchy theme songs, which can be measured by their popularity.

On the the other hand you have people in the thread saying the Japanese are objectively better, like >>32717108 and >>32717512
>>
>>32717839
The word did, but only because Japanophile was throw around so much on early 4chan that moot got sick of it and wordfiltered it to weeaboo, in hopes that it would constantly derail arguments with "did someone say weeaboo?"
>>
>>32717785
The composition is done in a way where it can be reprised on many different levels and doesn't feel like a "you had to be there" type of piece to appreciate it. The lyrics carry on the soul of the journey, it doesn't just say you want to be a Pokemon Master it says how far you'll go to reach that goal and how much heart you'll put into it. The investment isn't just one's ambition but what makes it possible, the Pokemon are equally important to reaching the top.

The US version talks about becoming a Pokemon Master but seems to distance Pokemon as mere tools and the investment is that it's the Pokemon's power rather than the bond. It's almost like the song's about Giovanni rather than Ash. The only thing that stops it from being that completely is "You teach me and I'll teach you" and that's debatable because it can easily refer to other trainers' perspectives and insights more than the Pokemon.
>>
>>32717833
Yeah, but that's the point where "reee you watched something in Japanese, that makes you cancer" became such a prevalent "argument".

There's a reason the idea of watching a TV show or a movie in the language in was originally made in only attracts this kind of autistic fury when the show or movie in question is from Japan. Nobody called the people that watched wuxia movies in Chinese "Chinaphiles" or whatever.
>>
>>32717770
>second johto theme was just a recycled version of the first theme
so much of this theme was wasted on useless and stupid filler.
>>
>>32717856
Actually, people threw around Wapanese (wannabe Japanese), not Japanophile. The rest is correct; moot filtered it and it went viral.

But we should stop pretending that "weeaboo" and its shorter form "weeb" are real words with actual meanings.
>>
>>32717802
That's what classes are for. Anime doesn't teach people Japanese, but your point was that people that watch the JPN don't necessarily understand Japanese. It can still plant a seed of interest at least.
>>
>>32717864
At least Born to Be a Winner was good.
>>
>what is Advance Adventure
>>
>>32717870
Look.... if you like japan and are not japanese then you are a loser.

Also if you are japanese then you are a JJOKBARI SHIT.
>>
>>32717937
Something you're a weeb if you like, apparently.
>>
File: 1476313964883.png (388KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1476313964883.png
388KB, 2560x1600px
>>32717880
It's not that 4Kids themes are bad, it's just that they're not always looked back on as fondly as many want them to be remembered and the thread is all about that dissonance.
>>
File: 1473860406966.jpg (94KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
1473860406966.jpg
94KB, 600x449px
>>32717942
Agree.

Japan needs to be nuked again.

Kill the japs and people who like them
>>
>>32717942
>Korean
You're either ruled by commies or a literal SJW cult worse than even Sweden.
>>
>>32717942
If you want to be part of Korean Wave, then this board is not for you.
>>
>>32717872
>but your point was that people that watch the JPN don't necessarily understand Japanese.
Yeah, and I stand by that. Since the original point raised by the other anon was that people aren't watching in Japanese since they're too stupid to understand it. When that is simply not the case.
I have no problems with people learning Japanese, learning new languages is a good thing, I was just stating most of the viewers aren't learning Japanese.
>>
>>32717942
What are you doing on a board glorifying a Japanese product, Zainichi scum?

Also, it's not like Koreans don't have dirty laundry either.
>>
>>32717962
>>32717964
Im white and dont care avout korea. Its just that im a successful white so i dont need japan like you losers.

Im not that korean guy so fuck off
>>
>>32717962
>be Korean Pokémon player
>all Pokémon and relevant human characters have names transliterated from Japanese because native Korean names would sound like garbage
heh
>>
>>32717973
>im a successful white
Sure you are, buddy.
>>
>>32717965
Exposure to foreign entertainment while being unfamiliar with the language isn't strictly a weeb thing, though. There are lots of people in foreign nations that listen to American pop music or watch foreign films.

Are they idiots too?
>>
>>32717973
>Its just that im a successful white
And yet, you post on a Mongolian Tiger sculpting forum browbeating the section about a children's monster battling game.
>>
>>32717984
They're eebs, since they watch shit in English.
>>
>>32717654
>fermarmi mai
*fermarmi qua
>>
>>32718017
But wouldn't they be too stupid to understand the language, yes or no?
>>
>>32717984
The kind of people that unironically refer to others as "weebs" or "weeaboos" or "wapanese" or whatever tend to be the kind of burger trash that have never encountered other languages in their lives and can't really comprehend the idea that something isn't necessarily in English.
>>
>>32718048
Non-Americans tend to be smarter than Americans, so no.
>>
>>32718054
This. People outside the US are more exposed to foreign content and easily accept something not in their own language. Especially English content, it helps in learning the language.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.