[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: an hero.jpg (91KB, 694x448px) Image search: [Google]
an hero.jpg
91KB, 694x448px
/vp/ was it ever about the fans or was it always about the cash?
Now we have 3 things be rereleased AGAIN.
Gold and silver will be released for the 3rd time, ULTRA SUN!!!!! and Pokken XDDDDD
Do we really want these?
I have all of them all already, I'm not seeing new installments. I'm not seeing anything I've not seen before. What's even the point /vp/?
>>
Ultra Sun is as much a new installment as Platinum was.
>>
>>32698702
>/vp/ was it ever about the fans or was it always about the cash?

The cash. To the extent that it is and ever has been about the fans, that's because being about the fans is a means to make cash. Nothing against Gamefreak. That's just how businesses work.
>>
>>32698702
Life has no purpose. As such, there is no reason not to seek as much happiness as possible. Finding reasons to be happy with things and explore and celebrate things both old and new is the path to delight. Life has no purpose. There is no secret to happiness. Simply find ways to be happy, and do so. And so, if a new cover and a few new features is enough to make something old exciting and joyous again, revel in it and celebrate it, do not seek to avoid being 'outsmarted' if it costs you happiness and gains you nothing.
>>
>>32698760
This, plus most of the time when people say "about the fans" they really mean "about me."
>>
File: 1489010678727.jpg (37KB, 540x406px) Image search: [Google]
1489010678727.jpg
37KB, 540x406px
>>32698702
We literally got a whole new generation less than 6 months ago anon stop being such a drama queen
>>
>>32698702
>gold and silver was released 3 times!
So was gen 1, your point?
>>
>>32698738
so it's basically Pointless

>>32698760
>>32698805
Alright I get your point. But I would like to hear the fans side of it. Just once I would like a dev to go check out all communities they can and see what the fans want in their games. Most of us are pretty relaxed in it. We aren't looking for fan fiction, we want a continuation of the story, if anything extra features. Sun and Moon were honestly boring.

>>32698823
Sure, and I'm ok with that but it's like they are going "We are cashing in on the idea of Sun and moon so might as well cause normie fans will love it"

>>32698847
Both have had their share.
RBYG 3
GSC 3
RSE 2
everything else 1 AFAIK
unless it's a 2, which in that case you can't count it. I traded in my W2 cause I got bored and felt pointless with it.
>>
>>32699163
>so it's basically pointless
remasters have been a thing since gen 2, arguably gen 1 with yellow.
they're pretty much an established part of the series, stop your bitching.
>>
>>32699163
Stop playing pokemon you child. Leave the fan base we don't need you.
>>
>>32699187
The original Blue m8 is gen 1's remaster. Yellow could be argued but there's no getting around Blue. Plus it predates Yellow by a few years
>>
>>32698702
>I'm not seeing new installments
Pokémon Sun and Moon came out last year. Were you really expecting a new generation already?
>>
it's always the money. pokemon has been about the money since (((paired versions)))
>>
>>32698702
I still have my Silver cartridge from 2000, I still have my SoulSilver card from 2010, and yet I'll still end up buying the VC version.
>>
>>32699235
>pokemon has been about the money since (((paired versions)))
just say always
>>
>>32699213
Yeah, you're right. Usually forget since Yellow is far more blatant, whereas Blue feels like just a more stable version of the originals.
>>
>>32698702
Red and Green probably. I mean GameFreak obviously wanted to make money back from the six years they spent in development but they weren't made out of obligation.
>>
>>32699187
Remasting is pointless unless it's a 3D version at this point

>>32699204
>(you)

>>32699221
Yeah I know, I'm aware, I'm not complaining about that. It's just a remake and it gets you nowhere. It's not like it's DLC and you can play more of it, you're going to restart and get to know everyone again. Why is that needed?
>>
>>32699163
>Just once I would like a dev to go check out all communities they can and see what the fans want in their games.

How you do know they're not doing this? I'm pretty sure that they are. They're running focus groups, they're conducting surveys, they're looking at forums (almost certainly including /vp/). Hell, the Pokemon series in particular puts on numerous competitive events where they're directly exposed to their fans... that's more than you can say for most series.

I think that Gamefreak is probably very well aware of what their fans want. They're also aware of what sells, and what things cost, and they've made the decision to prioritize certain fan desires over others, based on their research of what people want, who buys the games, and why they buy them.

I don't think that Gamefreak/TPC/Nintendo is nearly as stupid as some of us think. They've sold a LOT of games, and a LOT of merchandise, and a LOT of advertising time under their current practices.
>>
>>32699244
that doesn't express the why or (((who)))
>>
>>32698702
You must be 12 years old if you're only just realising this. Game Freak and Nintendo are businesses, their sole purpose is to make money.
>>
>>32699163
>"We are cashing in on the idea of Sun and moon so might as well cause normie fans will love it"
I don't understand what are you trying to say anon
>>
>>32699275
>Remasting is pointless unless it's a 3D version at this point
what? are you somehow mistaking remastering for remaking?
underage retard
>>
>>32699275
>It's just a remake and it gets you nowhere
Which is what any other game in this generation would be. People were expecting Sinnoh remakes, sequels or a third game.
>>
>>32699163
If you asked 1000 of the core Pokemon fans what their ideal Pokemon game was, you'd get almost 1000 answers. Sure, you could triage the top N features and put them in the game, but you'd always have people complaining. People are still shitposting about the Battle Frontier.

Hell, people have been complaining about the lack of a story in Pokemon for years, they finally deliver a pretty good one for Pokemon standards, and people complain about that. Simply can't make everyone happy.

They have to balance what the loyal fanbase wants against attracting small children to the franchise for merchandise. The portable games world isn't the same as it was even 10 years ago.

I don't even think they necessarily do a great job striking this balance but it has to be part of their consideration. Decisions have to be made at some point.
>>
>>32699287
fuck off to >>>/pol/
>>
>>32699277
I just wish instead of Ultra, that they would go in and make it DLC

>>32699301
I'm aware of that anon, I never said I didn't know about that. I'm just sick of it.

>>32699310
They aren't doing it for the fans, it's all about the money and whatever sells the best, BAM.

>>32699321
>I'm incapable of talking about something so I'm going to insult you instead.

>>32699393
We don't need it. Why would we need it? The original games still sell at a high price. Almost like new. I can goto gamestop and get those games at 25 a piece. I get that it was a good game but then again. They are just going to rerelease them why make them 20 bucks again? that's why I wasn't really annoyed with RED and BLUE VC, at least I got that it was 10 bucks. Neat. But again, I can play it on almost everything else, my phone, my PC, I can even play it on my DS lite on my r4i card. I see no point when it's been out for 20 years

>>32699446
Most of the fanbase of Pokemon has grown up with them and most of the new players do the same as a lot did back then if not more. As I have noticed, I have seen parents by a 3DS for their child and then the kid will play it for 5 minutes and put it down cause it was too hard. Face it, the fanbase of Pokemon is mostly adults and I think that's a good thing. I'm not asking for an adult themed Pokemon game, maybe a bit more grown up, maybe a game where it hints at it's age.

it's the same thing with the new pokemon movie that are bringing out soon. It's just the first few eps redone. OK it's been 20 years sense that came out and I get that. But really? It's not even Red. Which is what I've wanted forever. I want to see the original manga made into an anime. (and I don't mean origins or whatthey put on youtube)
>>
>>32699534
>I just wish instead of Ultra, that they would go in and make it DLC

And that's fair. But as I said, this isn't a stupid company, as much as we'd like to think otherwise. They're doing what they're doing for a reason. Maybe they conducted market research and determined that fewer people would buy DLC than would pay for an enhanced version. Maybe they determined that the 3DS couldn't support DLC that would have been worth developing. Whatever the reason, I just don't think that we should attribute every one of our issues with the series to stupidity.
>>
>>32699591
The best way to sum it up is as my friend said
"Nintendo [Gamefreak] still thinks it's 1996. They are stubborn old men who don't want to realize the world is changing"

Hell, look at the online play of Splatoon, it's been out for 3 years or so and it's online play is BAD. I have the hardest time staying connected now. And I have good internet.
>>
>>32699621

And now they're moving to 2002, and people are bitching because it's $20/year.
>>
>>32698702
Wait Gold and Silver is being re-realeased? Is it on the 3ds shop? If so then FUCK YEAH. I don't care if it's a cash grab I will legitmately pay 50 bucks to play Gold and Silver on the 3ds. This makes my day a lot better after learning about Ultrasun.
>>
>>32699534
GF have actually talked about how the game is easier today because kids today have no attention span to complete a game because they can very easily turn to one that is easy. But they still give you a couple of options for a somewhat greater challenge (Exp Share and Set battles) should you want one.

Personally I thought S/M had a few great nods to the older fans of the series. I thought it had a lot more subtle innuendo than previous games.

But to circle back to the OP, the bigger picture is hawking their merch and creating the next generation of 20-year fans. You and I are not going to buy their merch, but they also know that we are the ones who are going to put passion into online play or what have you.
>>
>>32699643
at least there some where...

>>32699698
I'm not looking for a CJ here anon, I just wanted to bitch and see what people had to say. I'm glad you agree at least.

what bothers me is that the last few games from nintendo that were made, were all made super easy or made given everything. Like in MK8XD. Sure I bought it but it's the fact that ALL the tracks were given to you and all you did was unlock the carts... Oh boy look rose gold peach and squid kids... I PAID FOR THE DLC ON MY WII U I SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN THIS SHIT FOR FREE.

I'm not just annoyed.
>>
File: 1489283475770.gif (835KB, 245x184px) Image search: [Google]
1489283475770.gif
835KB, 245x184px
>>32699534
>They aren't doing it for the fans, it's all about the money and whatever sells the best, BAM
Look anon all I can say to you is that historically GF has always delivered a superior third version, with Emerald Hoenn stopped being a game with too much water, Platinum stopped gen 4 from being to slow, BW2 basically saved gen 5 from being the worst generation ever and it's also the only reason people shit on XY so much it was never improved, just wait till the game arrives and give it a chance
>>
>>32699534
>Face it, the fanbase of Pokemon is mostly adults and I think that's a good thing.

I don't think that's remotely true. You probably have a lot more interaction with adults, which is why you get that impression, but I think you're significantly underestimating the number of kids who play it.

And then, there's the merchandise. Let's say you're right, and the player base is 75% "adult" and 25% "child." The adult pays $40 for a game every year or so. The child has his parents pay $40 for a game every year or so also. He also makes his parents buy a $30 Pokemon backpack, and a $20 t-shirt, and plushes at $12 each, and maybe cards... even if the fanbase is mostly adults (which, again, I doubt), kids are MUCH more valuable.

Bottom line is that it is entirely sensible for Gamefreak to prioritize kids over adults.
>>
>>32699786
I liked x and y for its big nice pretty map desu.

>>32699821
I went to the release of Sun and Moon, I didn't see anyone under 16 there.
It was a Friday night too, so the only real reason as to why a dedicated fan to pokemon couldn't get a midnight release as a 12-year-old unless their parents are old fashioned.

>Kids are much more valuable
Put pretty colours on it and call it something, some kid will want it. I know that anon. I've seen that for years with everything.

the real fans are the ones that buy everything and play the games. The ones like the kids, buy the TCG that they just collect and never play. This will always bother me.
>>
>>32699821
>He also makes his parents buy a $30 Pokemon backpack, and a $20 t-shirt, and plushes at $12 each, and maybe cards
I'm sure that adults like to buy these too...
>>
OP you're embarassing yourself.
>>
>>32699907
>I went to the release of Sun and Moon, I didn't see anyone under 16 there.
...of course you didn't. It was a midnight release, as you said! Many parents aren't going to want to deal with that. But I'm also saying that much of the playerbase is closer to 6-13. They're not going to a midnight release. On the younger end of that, they probably don't even know the release date, they just see a commercial one day and scream "Mommy, buy me that!" Again, I think that you're (very naturally and appropriately) biased towards interacting with the older fans. There are a huge number of kids who you'll simply never encounter. Try this: next time you're in a department store, glance at the kids clothes section. Look at how much Pokemon stuff there is. Believe me, it wouldn't be there if there wasn't an audience for it.

>The ones like the kids, buy the TCG that they just collect and never play. This will always bother me.
It might bother you, but Gamefreak/Nintendo/TPC loves it. They don't care if they play it or not. They care that they buy it. And as you note, they certainly do. Again, it just reinforces the point - on a per capita basis, kids are much more valuable Pokemon fans than adults.
>>
>>32700015
I've been there and always a bit envious of some of the art they get we don't we have to get in a geek shop. But I have and they don't have that much Pokemon stuff, it's all about Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman everywhere I go.

>TCG
I can't complain about it too much cause I understand it. It may annoy me but fuck well whatever I guess.
>>
>>32699940
To an extent, sure. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any Pokemon merchandise. But it's just a totally different extent for kids. My one plush I bought at the Nintendo NYC store last month is outweighed by orders of magnitude by the clothes and toys sold to kids.
>>
>>32699783
I both agree and disagree. Primarily these games are made for money, which means catering to children, but they also know that a decent chunk is going to come from the dedicated fans, so they have to strike some kind of balance and that's not going to please everyone all the time.

As far as video games being too easy, that's just a sign of the times. It's not special to have beaten Zelda anymore, or even own Zelda, as there are thousands of games available for tablets and phones. That is the space that video game consoles are in right now.
>>
>>32698702
>EY YO BRUH WHY IS DEM COMPANIES TRYNA MAKE MONEY
>>
File: 1381417633265.png (247KB, 554x409px) Image search: [Google]
1381417633265.png
247KB, 554x409px
You should probably stop playing Pokemon Games OP.
>>
>>32700272
>making money off of a game they released 3 other times

>>32700284
Nah
>>
>>32700497
I don't understand what your problem is with releasing Gold and Silver on the virtual console. The people who have, or have played the games and don't want to replay, can simply not buy it. The newer fans who want to experience the older games now can.
What is your objection to this?
>>
>>32700551
anyone with an above average intelligence can figure out that every game can be ripped, meaning there's a ROM somewhere.
>>
>>32700589
What's your point? Children don't know what ROMs are.
>>
>>32700693
Why would I give a child under 12 a handheld console? I might as well give them a computer. See my point? They won't know what to do with it.
>>
>>32700726
>Why would I give a child under 12 a handheld console?

Is this a joke? Or sarcastic? I can't even tell anymore.
>>
>>32699163
>so it's basically Pointless
Don't talk to me or my copy of Pokemon Platinum coated in Platinum and signed by John Gamefreak himself ever again
>>
>>32700739
I would rather let a child play outside or watch TV. I shouldn't have been given a Gameboy till I was 10 at least. I mean, I get it at that age. I'm saying the appreciation value.

>>32700741
LOL
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.