[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/heg/- Hacking and Essentials General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 239
Thread images: 44

File: DEO.png (952KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
DEO.png
952KB, 750x750px
N's Strange Journey Edition

Discord: https://discord.gg/HfWa4Dg
IRC: irc.rizon.net #romhacking

Rom hacking
>Notable romhacks: http://pastebin.com/GfJ9zhqx
>Making a romhack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP
>Gen 4-6 hack tools: https://pastebin.com/WvTzcdPR
>Disassemblies: https://github.com/pret/pokered https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal https://github.com/pret/pokeruby

RMXP/Essentials
>Engine: http://pastebin.com/G5PdvaGD
>Wiki: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pokémon_Essentials_Wiki
>Tilesets: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar
>WIP Gen 5 tiles: http://imgur.com/a/CiudS

Places to share fangames:
>http://www.pokecommunity.com/
>http://reliccastle.com/

TOTT: what kind of REFERENCES do you like or at least accept in a fangame?
>>
fuck off
>>
>>32695915
you fuck off
>>
bump?
>>
>>32695896
Working on a rom hack of Crystal using disassembly
I'm having trouble adding a script that will add Entei and Raikou "SEEN" entries to the Pokedex. I want it to operate the same way HGSS does where you can see them after releasing them
>>
>>32698210
On top of this question
I'm trying to remove the checks to see if the 3 beasts were captured before receiving the rainbow wing

what scripts do I need to remove?
>>
How do I get the least amount of lag with Essentials? Does removing redundant features in the code help or is it inevitable
>>
I want to hack/modify Pokemon Platinum to play on a 2ds/3ds/old ds/whatever.

All I really want to do is change some of the Pokemon available or a starter here and there as I please.

I don't want to emulate on a computer because I want to play on any handheld.

Is this possible?

What would I need?

I find it on google because I don't know how to word it well and google isn't very accurate at times.

What would I need?
>>
>>32699013
If you can edit the rom on a computer I don't see how it wouldn't be possible if there are tools for it. As for playing it on a handheld just get a flashcart.
>>
>>32698885
Avoid map connections wherever you can and use gates. The lag is the worst when you're near a connection because the game is effectively loading multiple maps at once.
>>
>>32695896
How do I run MEH on my Mac? I can't see any .jar files.
>>
>>32699039
Flashcarts should be playable on a normal old ds?
Any repercussions to using one on an up to date new 3ds xl?
>>
>>32698210
>>32698335
and another...
how can you make buying Moomoo Milk something that happens more than once
>>
File: 1385424491660.jpg (40KB, 387x456px) Image search: [Google]
1385424491660.jpg
40KB, 387x456px
>>32698210
Does Gen 2 have any scripts that do that automatically? I'm pretty sure Gen 1 does with things like the Eeveelutions at Bill's House.
>>
>>32699183
I thought there'd be a script similar to when you encounter a wild pokemon, it gets an empty dex slot if you don't catch it
>>
>>32698210
Do this:
writebyte RAIKOU
special SpecialSeenMon
To make it look good, do this first:
refreshscreen $0
pokepic RAIKOU
cry RAIKOU
waitbutton
closepokepic

>>32698335
In TinTower.asm, remove:
special SpecialBeastsCheck
iffalse UnknownScript_0x185050

>>32699172
In Route39Farmhouse.asm, remove:
checkitem MOOMOO_MILK
iftrue UnknownScript_0x9cf08

To avoid asking more questions for every little edit you want to make, try this. Skim engine/scripting.asm and engine/specials.asm to see what functions are already available to you. Read map scripts to see how they work. If you want to change something that happens in Tin Tower, read the scripts for Tin Tower and figure out, line by line, what they're doing and why. If something exists that's similar to what you want to do, try copying it.
>>
>>32699743
First, thank you for all the help! Seriously, I've hit a wall

Second, in regards to the first part, this will add Raikou to the dex in the same way encountering it in the wild would, correct?

Yeah, I've done a lot of what you're referring to. It's how I added in the GS Ball and Pokeflute with complete functionality. But reading a different version of "UnknownScript_-------" every line is mind numbing
>>
>>32699743
so if I could get your opinion for a second, where do you think the Raikou script would look best within BurnedTowerBF1.asm?

Would it look better as each one leaves, or at the end after they've left
>>
>>32699810
Yeah, pokecrystal still has quite a few UnknownScript+UnknownText left to do.

>>32699924
I'd replace the cries that are already there with cry+pokepic+register as seen.
>>
>>32699994
>this is what I got and repeats with Entei. Thoughts?
playmusic MUSIC_NONE
pause 30
appear $3
spriteface $0, $1
pause 5
disappear $6
pause 15
cry RAIKOU
writebyte RAIKOU
special SpecialSeenMon
refreshscreen $0
pokepic RAIKOU
waitbutton
closepokepic
appear $4
spriteface $0, $1
pause 5
disappear $7
pause 15
cry ENTEI
>>
>>32700074
Are you using a very old version of pokecrystal? You're using raw hex values instead of the NPC constants defined at the top of the file, like BURNEDTOWERB1F_RAIKOU1. Same goes for $1 instead of DOWN in spriteface.
>>
>>32700142
it's tppcrystal251pub on GitHub
>>
what size tiles (in pixels) do people like to work with the most?
is there a preferred generation of art?
how many of these tiles fit on screen at a time (e.g. 15x20)?
are people opposed to enlarging screen size in a build or is that frowned upon?
>>
>>32700253
Yeah, the main pokecrystal repo has been updated a lot since then. There's more use of named constants and sensible labels.
>>
>>32700270
Are you talking about Essentials? Any ROM hack, whether for GBA, GBC, or NDS, has a fixed screen size and tile size for its hardware.

I like 16x16 tiles, since Gen 2 and 3 use them, and 32x32 is harder to do well given four times the area.
>>
>>32700277
Does that mean the edits you came up with won't work for me?
>>
>>32700302
I eventually said fuck it, I don't want to make a game, I just like pretty maps. And the options on mac are pitiful. So I'm making myself a very basic mapmaker from scratch in Java. Also I'm relearning Java since I have to do that anyway.
Just throwing out a straw poll survey to see what kinds of preferences people have for different styles to see if I ought to cover a few options or just build something very rudimentary.
>>
>>32700392
also i was hoping someone here might know the screensizes per release offhand so I wouldn't have to go search for them all. I started with 20 wide by 15 tall and it seems massive.
>>
alright bitches

who here got the gen 1/gen 2 style custom tilesets

anything please anything ill suck your dick
>>
>>32700277
>>32700332
Just let me know anon!
Haven't saved the script for the tower yet, so I cant close out without making any changes if it won't work
>>
>>32699050
>use gates
That explains DPP. Is that the only thing? Is it the event loader? Or the quality of the sprites?
>>
>>32700869
Sprite quality shouldn't matter as long as you're not changing the hardcoded sprite scaling, but weirdly enough using the default music files makes the game run noticeably slower, I guess because they're coded in? Replace those with new music or new files whenever you can.
>>
>>32700917
Thanks a lot. I want to make sure it runs as smooth as possible, so I'm trying my best to optimize this crazy code.
>>
File: CmCSl53WgAAdcjC.jpg (27KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
CmCSl53WgAAdcjC.jpg
27KB, 320x240px
>>32700392

Cool! Good luck with the project.

Some platform screen sizes in pixels and tiles:
GBC: 160x144 → 10x9
GBA: 240x160 → 15x10
DS: 256x192 → 16x12
RM2K: 320x240 → 20x15 (Anyone remember RM2K?)

I think GBA would be a good compromise. Larger sizes are more fun to play on a PC, but then you have to design larger maps with bigger paths+buildings+features and more local detail. Expanding the visible area on a RBY or GSC map just shows too much stuff at once.
>>
>>32701030
cheers man, just what I was after.
>>
>>32701242
I expect you'll be able to parameterize that anyway. Design the engine so you can set a window size and it'll expand the viewable area to compensate. (Resizing the window after it's created would stretch the area, not change it.)
>>
File: glintgrove.png (96KB, 672x960px) Image search: [Google]
glintgrove.png
96KB, 672x960px
If that anon that mentioned that I should add some flowers to Glint Grove last night is here, does this look better? I added the flower tiles from R/B/Y.

Also, as for the big tree. I was just using it to give you the feeling that you've reached the end. I was going to put the Gym Leader there if I go with the idea of having to go to the forest first. I tried putting on the small island at first, but the way collision works it made it weird. You would either run into the tree from too far out, making it look like there was an invisible wall, or you would go too far in and be standing on some of the leaves.
>>
>>32702422
That is better!
>>
>>32702422
Holy shit this looks amazing. Which romhack is this?
>>
File: yellow flowers.png (44KB, 640x576px) Image search: [Google]
yellow flowers.png
44KB, 640x576px
>>32703198
Cool. One more question. Do the blue flowers look better yellow? I kinda think the blue clashes too much with the rest of the palette.

>>32703206
Thanks.
It's called Coral version. I've been working on it for the last few months. No demo yet, but I'm working on one.
>>
>>32703306
It's very pretty dude, keep at it. Can you tell me more about it? What are you planning to do and stuff.

>I kinda think the blue clashes too much with the rest of the palette.
I kind of agree but the blue flowers are much more noticeable and eye-catching.
>>
File: coralworld.png (427KB, 1792x3648px) Image search: [Google]
coralworld.png
427KB, 1792x3648px
>>32703355
Just trying my hardest to make everything as comfy as possible. Replacing a lot of Pokemon with some newer gen ones that fit the aesthetic. A few Alolan forms (Raichu and Marowak as alt evos and Exeggutor as a gift mon). I'm also going to try to update base stats and learnsets (to an extent) to gen VII.

Here is the world so far. Don't really know what else there is to tell.
>>
>>32699093
Please respond.
>>
>>32703355
>>32703306
How about a more pastel blue? The blue and pink combination does look good.
>>
Yo coraldev are your alolan forms separate entries in the dex too? I assumed you just added them in like normal?

Also would anyone mind rating my GBC hack dex if i shared it? Which site should i use to share it?
>>
>>32703745

looks amazing so far. is the coral region based off somewhere in the real world?
>>
File: kanto-rbg.png (771KB, 5570x5808px) Image search: [Google]
kanto-rbg.png
771KB, 5570x5808px
Speaking of maps, is there a requirement that all the world map segments sync up perfectly? Asked the same question on discord and so far the response what I've assumed thus far: it's a standard to reach for but won't break the game if it doesn't match up perfectly.

Would like to see if anyone has a more confident answer here though, don't want to edit the size of maps and then later learn they need to be revamped.
>>
>>32706707
Seeing the whole game map like this makes me realize how small it is in reality. Dungeons are really important when you see things from this perspective.
>>
>>32706707
It's pretty much what they said. You can make route 1 twice as long and it won't affect the bike path or anything else on the right.

It would be a bitch if it did matter though. Maps only care about what they are connected to and not what they are not connected to. It's a good idea to make the world map close so things aren't odd for even a player to notice.
>>
File: 1484328259571.jpg (688KB, 1728x640px) Image search: [Google]
1484328259571.jpg
688KB, 1728x640px
What was the Fire Red romhack that guy was making? Pic related was one of the maps.
>>
>>32706707
absolutely no logistical reason they need to line up. in fact they could overlap, be twice as long as they ought to be (maybe you are creating an interdimensional space area), but the designers have always made sure that they do align for reasons of aesthetics.
>>
Don't tell me what to do
>>
>>32707218
That map's pretty bad desu
>>
>>32700917
>weirdly enough using the default music files makes the game run noticeably slower, I guess because they're coded in?
They're midi. Nowadays computers don't support them by default; they have to first load up special codecs and sound fonts or something, which takes time.

Mp3 is your best bet for audio (or wav, I guess). Oggs are 10 times slower to load than mp3s, which can be noticeable for BGMs.
>>
Does anyone have a working Nova Sun/Umbra Moon version? I've been trying the 1.7 .3DS method, by I get a compression error.
>>
>>32709159
install sun/moon as a cia
use the drag and drop method with luma
if you actually buy into retarded TRANNY SOLD US OUT shitposting on /hbg/ then kys
>>
File: o7ygqCy.png (107KB, 1667x648px) Image search: [Google]
o7ygqCy.png
107KB, 1667x648px
I'll preface this that I have no formal programming expertise, I just follow tutorials and reverse engineer whatever piece of technology I can.

I'm using the pokered assembly for my hack, fiddled around with RBMap yesterday and quickly realised that I'd like more blocksets to make more use of the tiles already available. I could find no tutorial on it, the below thread was the closest thing I could find that directly corresponds to it, but the people involved were already programming wizards so they never talked about how they'd go about it.

https://hax.iimarckus.org/topic/1584/

After looking at the .bst files in Hex Editor and comparing the bytes to the blocksets visualised in RBMaps (pic very much related), I'd like to post my theory and then go ahead with it if other anons who are actually competent can verify it.

>each row is one blockset, each four bytes being one tile, and each byte being one tile fragment
>the last line seen in the Hex Editor corresponds to the last coherent blockset in RBMaps (house wall with 8 windows), everything below it isn't written and thus interpreted by RBMaps as a garbled mess
>if I make note of which byte name corresponds to which tile fragment, I can just add more lines to the .bst file and give RBMaps/the game more blocksets to work with
>I can't exceed 256 blocksets, but since that would be literally twice the amount of blocksets already in that .bst file, I should be fine in that regard

y/n?
>>
File: persiunnoknow.png (190KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
persiunnoknow.png
190KB, 640x480px
>>32709260
cont because text length limit

If the above is correct, I'd still be somewhat concerned with this line by Sawakita (from thread I linked above):

"You'd have to repoint blocksets if you're going to extend them; it shouldn't be too complex if you're using the disassembly, it has already all the tilesets stuff disassembled and labeled. Maybe you don't even need to repoint them if the bank that contains the blockset is completely disassembled and has enough free space to handle the expanded data)."

Am I right about what I've typed above, or are there more things I should be aware of? Would love some reassurement or corrections.
>>
File: frick.png (79KB, 1121x937px) Image search: [Google]
frick.png
79KB, 1121x937px
thoughts on this for an evil team base?
red/green things are gates you need to open with the switches
blue x's are trainers with the x/circle being the boss before the legendary encounter
>>
>>32709260
>>32709272
I use crowdmap for pokecrystal so things might be different, but what you greentexted seems right.

By "blocksets" I'm assuming you mean the 32x32 blocks. In pokecrystal those are called metatiles. I can't seem to add more than 7F (127) metatiles before they stop working.

As far as I can tell, no repointing is necessary, at least in pokecrystal. Every tileset that I've added new metatiles to seems to work perfectly fine with them.

Again, this is all based on a different disassembly, but it seems similar enough. Just back up your stuff and try things.
>>
>>32709341
Here's how you can have 256 metatiles:
https://hax.iimarck.us/topic/5991/

And here's a rough guide to adding more tiles; I've managed to get 240 usable ones.
https://hax.iimarckus.org/topic/7020/
https://hax.iimarckus.org/topic/7080/
>>
>>32710556
that last link should have been this:
https://hax.iimarckus.org/topic/7050/
>>
>>32709309
>legendary is a part of the main story
dislike this current trope desu
>>
the traffic is too damn high
>>
>>32712744
max if ur gonna tripfag can u at least make music for my hack for zero monetary compensation
>>
>>32712921
Already doing it for three other games, so no I can't :(
>>
I'm playing Pokemon Prism rn, just wondering what other really polished/well done rom hacks there are that are set in a new region for Gen 3/Gen 4?
>>
>>32698210
>>32699743
>>32700074
I still need help with the scripting for the Pokedex
halp
>>
>>32714227
would the SetSeenMon script work?
not exactly sure how to implement it
>>
Anyone know if I could use
>SpecialSeenMon:
> ld a, [ScriptVar]
> dec a
> call SetSeenMon
> ret
where ScriptVar could be Entei and Raikou
>>
>>32695896
/heg/, tell me to quit being a faggot and work on my game.
>>
>>32715000
Why bother, it will never be finished. What a waste of your time.
>>
>>32715000
Your game is probably shit desu
Give up and fap
>>
>>32715006
>>32715012
I really appreciate your support.
>>
>>32715032
We've always got your back
>>
File: blueflowers.png (10KB, 640x576px) Image search: [Google]
blueflowers.png
10KB, 640x576px
>>32703355
>>32704397
Here it is with pastel blue. Thoughts?

>>32704536
I haven't actually added them in yet, but the plan is for them to be separate entries.

>>32706558
Nah. I have a basic shape for the map and I'm just adding things that feel right.

Also, I have a Soundcloud now. I'm going to start uploading the music on there. In fact, here's the song for Daybreak Village already inserted in game.

https://soundcloud.com/coraldev/daybreak-village
>>
Bump
Anyone experienced in working with disassembly
>>
Reminder the ROM Hacking vs Essentials debate is moot, the true patrician console war is FireRed vs Emerald
>>
>>32715522

great job on the soundcloud! i cant wait for the demo
>>
File: scr.png (16KB, 505x433px) Image search: [Google]
scr.png
16KB, 505x433px
I'm too lazy making a proper release so I'll post it here again, because I fucked something up first time.
It's just a small hack for Pokemon Gold and Silver that turns off the music, leaving only the sound effets.
This can be useful for people streaming these games or for those who want to listen to something else that 8-bit farts.

Link for IPS patches with fixed checksums:
http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/IQr1ghxZ/file.html

Have a nice day!
>>
>>32717783
pokeruby wins
>>
>>32717783
>not hacking Ruby
>>
>>32718124
Also, chaning byte at address 0x0A69 to C9 will remove the beep sound while scrolling dialogues, it will still appear in all sorts of menus as it was intended.
>>
>>32695896
I downloaded pokecrystal to my computer
I got everything set up to build the rom
I made a bunch of changes to the .asm files
I can build the rom, but none of the changes are taking effect
it's still regular crystal
>>
File: essentialsmasterrace.png (643KB, 1360x757px) Image search: [Google]
essentialsmasterrace.png
643KB, 1360x757px
>>32717783
Reminder that you're just a butthurt romhackfag
>>
>>32719059
None of those games are finished tho
>>
>>32717783
Fire Red. It can just be hacked to look like Emerald anyways.
>>
>>32719059
All those shitty fakemon...
>>
>>32719547
Uranium is finished.
>>
File: hnngn.gif (101KB, 499x360px) Image search: [Google]
hnngn.gif
101KB, 499x360px
>>32709260
>>32709272
>>32709341
Tried making one more blockset/metatile, and then assembled the rom, but was met with this error message in Cygwin:

Section 'bank19' is too big (old size 1520 0 + 1200 > 16384)

Whelp, I'm stumped. Any way to free up space in bank19 or write the new blocksets in a different bank?

>>32715522
I'd say the new color blends in better while still being a nice splash of color, so keep it. Also listened to your Vs Wild Pokemon soundcloud, pic related. Keep up that good work.
>>
>>32719646
But doesn't Emerald have more content than FireRed, like the Frontier? I know you can theoretically port the Frontier to FR but nobody's done it yet, have they?
>>
>>32717783
>>32719646
>>32721237
One word:
pokeruby
>>
>>32721307
Pokeruby is too pure for this world but we're talking about FR v. Emerald.
Has anyone done anything cool with pokeruby yet like they have for the Gen 1 and 2 disassemblies?
>>
>>32721237
That's true.
>>
>>32721328
WHat's pokeruby? Is it just Pokemon Ruby but trying to glorify it for how shit it is?
>>
>>32721417
It's an in-progress disassembly of Ruby (and Sapphire), similar to what Red, Yellow, and Crystal have.
https://github.com/pret/pokeruby
>>
>>32718806
What might be happening:
* You're loading the wrong gbc file in your emulator
* You're running "make crystal" in a different directory than the one you're editing
* The compiler output an error message and din't change the ROM, but you thought it did

What's not happening:
* What you just said
>>
>>32721430
>Ruby (and Sapphire)
and emerald, apparently
>>
>>32721608
pokeemerald is its own thing I think, unless they merged. I know a lot of the code for pokeruby can be transferred to pokeemerald because of how much of the ROMs are similar, so working on the former does progress the latter, but I think they're two different githubs.
>>
>>32721328
It's less than half finished, so I don't think anyone's made major hacks with it yet. Although the more ambitious Gen 3 hacks and patches *do* use C and assembly. IDA Disassembler lets you work with small parts of the ROM; pokeruby will disassemble the whole thing and give it meaningful function names and comments and all that.
>>
>>32721430
So what's better about disassembly than whats been worked on for Fire Red, Emerald, and somewhat Ruby in the past? Like the tools and shit.
>>
>>32721900
I want to clear this up. I've been hearing it a lot lately.

pokeruby is already completely disassembled. It's not annotated, but everything is there. The code is all there in assembly. The work that's left is translating the assembly to C so that it's easier to make changes. But it's already "complete" in the sense that it's the whole thing.
>>
>>32722060
Not much at this time. Once the projects are in their final stages however, it'll make doing hard things a lot easier.
>>
>>32723155
Now is Ruby simply the game used to make all Gen 3 games easier to work with or is everything limited to Ruby?
>>
I'm thinking about adding in Lucario and Munchlax in that Updated Emerald game I've been making but where would be the most appropriate place for them to be revealed? I'm gonna try and make Gen 3 sprites for them the best I can.
>>
File: expanded dex.png (2KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
expanded dex.png
2KB, 160x144px
>>32722060
Basically, disassembly is the reverse-engineered source code. You don't have to worry about shit like hard-coded pointers or managing free space in a complete disassembly.
>>32723331
If/when the other Gen 3 games get disassembled any code made in pokeruby could be easily transported to the other games.
>>
>>32723968
hoenn gen 1/2 style demake when
>>
>>32724001
Never, because it's a ton of work and nobody wants to do it (I can't blame them because I wouldn't want to do something so huge either).
>>
Bumpperoni
>>
What are some really good rom hacks? I usually end up getting bored and need something fun.
>>
>>32726725
Clover
>>
>>32695896
Is their a 802 gen 2 rombase?
>>
>zero (0) romhacks or fan games have come out of this thread
>>
>>32728524
Both the guy who made Gaia and the guy who made Polished Crystal lurk here.
>>
>>32728538
I think I've seen Mateo (the guy who made Pokémon Christmas and Red++) here as well, though he mostly just made his own thread for the game.
>>
File: 1474861905863.jpg (775KB, 1480x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1474861905863.jpg
775KB, 1480x1000px
http://picosong.com/7bcU/
I haven't worked much on music because this intro is fucking killing me. I've managed to improve it quite a bit since I started the song but it's still not good. Any feedback or suggestions for it?
I think I'm going to upload ASM for the song with and without the intro anyway since vanilla Gen 2's audio engine starts the song over after every battle and that shit would get annoying. If I remember correctly Polished Crystal specifically has the same engine tweak as TPPAC that stores the position of the song during a battle and picks up where it left off so it won't be a problem for that hack, but I should be considerate of anyone who doesn't want to implement that and wants to use the song so the no-intro version makes the best of both worlds.
>>32728476
Gen 2 currently has a limit of 253 Pokémon due to Pokémon indexes being one byte. Expanding that amount to two bytes wouldn't be extremely difficult though it would be tedious; someone's already done it to Red and they say it took them about three weeks to do it, so it's definitely feasible, just nobody's done it. You'd probably want to do the same to moves (similarly feasible but tedious) just so you don't have to make up movesets using only old moves for later-gen Pokémon.
>>
File: sss.png (4KB, 130x123px) Image search: [Google]
sss.png
4KB, 130x123px
How's it coming so far? I kinda cheated and copied the stance off of it's artwork.
>>
>>32730540
Ok ill wait
>>
>>32731897
I think everyone who wants it is waiting for someone else to do it, which is why it hasn't gotten done.
Maybe one day I'll do it, but I've been saying that for like two years and haven't even started attempting it.
>>
Using crowdmap, I edited the New Bark Town map to a 17x18 size, changed it all up, and everything's fine. No problem.

But then when I edit Route 29 to be 33x30 and make any edits to the right side (connection still touching the New Bark Town map), then go back to New Bark, I get the popup message in crowdmap "../maps/Route29.blk has changed! Are you sure you want to reload it?" When click "OK", the Route 29 map reverts to the 33x30 map without my edits.

What has gone wrong?
>>
>>32733227
pokecrystal btw
>>
>>32733227
You've increased the size of the map, but the .blk file doesn't have any data for the new area you added. This confuses crowdmap.

The way I fix it is to first change the dimensions of the map to what you want them to be, then go into crowdmap and take any metatile and replace all of the tiles with that one. Like start at the top left and go right then go to the next line. Do it all the way down and don't skip a single tile. Then when you hit save, it fill in all the missing data. Now you can make your edits and they should save correctly.

You could also open the .blk file in a hex editor and add in the missing tiles that way, but I'm not sure if that would work.
>>
So I'm trying to make it so that the low health sound only plays a few times and then stops like in the newer games. I looked at the code for Polished Crystal as I know that hack does the same thing. I copied the code into my "audio/engine.asm" file, and it works. Mostly.

Now I'm getting a problem that when the sound stops playing, Channel 1 doesn't start playing the song's notes again. After my Pokemon faints, the music changes back to normal. The same thing happens when I run away. Any idea what's causing the issue?

Here's a video of the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p73R2dZ2DpU
>>
>>32734328
If you test Polished Crystal, you'll see it has the same glitch. :P
https://github.com/roukaour/polishedcrystal/issues/13
If you fix it, please post your solution.
>>
File: qXb08gr_d.jpg (115KB, 331x588px) Image search: [Google]
qXb08gr_d.jpg
115KB, 331x588px
Bumping thread with a revamp of Route 1. Never been a fan of mandatory patches of grass, particularly since you'd assume the main roads between towns would be fairly easy to travel.
>>
>>32734328
Try looking at the script for TPP Crystal

>>32735850
You'd also assume that you wouldn't be sent out in the world all on your own to catch monsters and fight at 10 years old. But you'd be wrong
>>
>>32733256
M'kay, so that worked within crowdmap.

Now, when I go back to cygwin make try to "make" the new ROM, I get this:

>rgbasm -o maps.o maps.asm
>error: Section 'Map Blockdata 1' is too big (old size 16089 + 360 > 16384)
>make: *** [Makefile:52: maps.o] Error 1
>>
>>32735850
I understand where you're coming from, but mandatory patches of grass are kind of a necessary evil, if you don't want to get the feeling that you're grinding.
>>
>>32736092
Google my dude.

http://creativiii.com/guide-pokecrystal-disassembly/
Look in the bugfixes section at the bottom.
>>
Which is your favorite fangame or romhack aesthetic? Gen 1, 2, 3 ,4 or 5?
>>
>>32736777
Gen 4 and 5 have barely any ROM hacks, and what does exist mostly upgrades the existing region+plot instead of making their own.

Gen 3 encompasses more than one aesthetic. Some people use Emerald's music and tiles, some use FireRed's, some import DPPt's, some make their own of varying quality...

Gen 1 and Gen 2 have similar options available for graphics and music. The only real difference is color. GSC itself used RBY tiles and music remixes for its Kanto region, and Red++ uses GSC's Johto tiles for Kanto. Prism borrows tiles from other video games, but they mostly fit with the Pokémon originals because the color limits guide design more than in Gen 3.

I'd have to say Gen 2 is my favorite, especially when people take the time to use custom palettes for unique maps (like the Ice Path did in Crystal). But I'm biased, Gen 2 was my first.
>>
File: sss.png (2KB, 130x65px) Image search: [Google]
sss.png
2KB, 130x65px
done
>>
>>32737822
Pretty good!
>>
>>32736910
I feel like Gen 1 and 2 have the most charm. It excels in it's simplicity and while Gen 3 is technically more advanced and has more colors and detail I feel like that works against it as custom stuff, or stuff imported from other games, is much more noticeable and out of place as most of the time they aren't as high quality. It's harder to discern such things with Gen 1 an 2 stuff as they are of technically lower quality if you get what I'm trying to say here.
>>
File: 2151048135513.jpg (267KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
2151048135513.jpg
267KB, 1600x1067px
https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/silph-co-executives-theme
>>
File: wonsan_nk_3.png (71KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
wonsan_nk_3.png
71KB, 800x800px
Port city based on the North Korean city of Wonsan. It would be the first city a player entered (Starter Town > First Route > This).

Thoughts?
>>
>>32740505
bretty gud
>>
>>32740505
id probably try to make 1 wide alleys for a regular door entrance into the two city buildings instead of the pink squares, but it looks very nice
>>
>>32740505
That's really fucking nice man. Like the buildings placed more vertical over horizontal.
>>
Bump bump bump
>>
>>32740505
The buildings on the rocks are sick, I'd be peeved I couldn't get into them though. Or that little patch of water above the rightmost house, as well as the house with a fence right in front of it.
>>
File: overworld.t2.png (2KB, 128x48px) Image search: [Google]
overworld.t2.png
2KB, 128x48px
Realised today that there are multiple completely white tilefragments that I can fill up with something else and make all the white spaces in the game use the null one. However, filling in the bottom right corner doesn't work and only results in a glitched mess, so I presume I actually need to tell the game how many graphics that file contains for it to use.

tl:dr how to I expand tilesets
>>
>>32745512
The ".t2" at the end of the filename tells the compiler not to include the last 2 tiles. Also, I believe that the bottom-right tile (or maybe the top-left) has to be blank, because it gets used as the space in text boxes.
>>
>>32745512
>>32746001
Also, you can expand the tileset:
https://hax.iimarckus.org/topic/7020/
>>
File: 028Uwbb.png (18KB, 644x256px) Image search: [Google]
028Uwbb.png
18KB, 644x256px
>>32746001
That makes total sense, but when I remove the "t2." from the filename the assembler doesn't even realise that a change has been made, and even if I change a different file and reassemble the game it still doesn't include the last two tiles.

Pic related is what I see when I open the corresponding 2bpp file, the last row is for the 5D offset, and if the last two tiles had been included they'd been the 5E and 5F offsets respectively. I'd type in the last two rows myself if I knew what hex values to add, but I see no rhyme or reason for the other tiles already in that file.

>>32746058
Read this one before, will give it a second try once my current problem is resolved since so far I haven't even gone into the area of the garbage letter data mentioned in that thread.
>>
File: route_2_nk.png (139KB, 1120x1440px) Image search: [Google]
route_2_nk.png
139KB, 1120x1440px
>>32740505
Hashed out half of the exterior Route 2. Obviously, the tileset will be edited to accommodate for the iffy stuff. This is just to test placement.

Thoughts? The only thing the irks me with this (other than the grassy bits on the mountain tiles) is that the white pathways that lead to the two cave entrances seem a bit empty to me.
>>
>>32746058
is this possible for gen 3?
>>
File: Screenshot_7.png (3KB, 158x232px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_7.png
3KB, 158x232px
Does he look enough like a rich asshole from Kalos?
>>
>>32695896
Does anyone know how difficult it would be to replace a pokemon in Crystal using disassembly?
>>
>>32748478
Just replacing one is easy, it was one of the first things I did when I figured out how to use it. You just need to replace their data and sprites, which is all organized neatly.
>>
File: PlayDanger.png (110KB, 857x1576px) Image search: [Google]
PlayDanger.png
110KB, 857x1576px
>>32734328
>>32734396
Polished Crystal and TPP Crystal have the same glitch, but Prism does not. You can just use their PlayDanger routine.
>>
>>32748598
Still doesn't work. Copied directly from Prism's source code and check it line by line with that picture you posted. Same results in game.
>>
>>32749387
Actually TPPCrystal does work...not sure why people are saying it's glitched
Download and try the latest version yourself
I'm currently in the middle of a playthrough and can confirm that the low health sounds do stop and regular battle music continues.
>>
>>32747036
Could use some more water. The building in the nook is cool.
>>
>>32747036
Place some of the small headbutt trees along some of the paths
Use smaller separate stones along the paths to break things up
Add small patches of green tiles to the white walk ways
Put water in inaccessible areas on top of the rocks
Flowers in the areas that already have grass
Even adding water next to some trees or grass
Stones/Trees in the way that would have a hidden item
More ledges to jump down
Trees on top of the mountains
>>
>>32738742
Sounds like something I'd hear from Aether, nice track.
>>
I'm looking for a very difficult rom hack. What I mean is, I feel like in recent games, you take your starter and just run from Gym to Gym, no need to grind levels, as any "tough" battles are just due to you having bad RNG in IV's and you gain a level in the battle so you go back and win easily. I want the opposite, I want to grind and work and even then struggle in the fights. Gen III or later is preferred, but if it's FR/LG or HG/SS that's good too, as I mostly just want updated graphics.
>>
>>32749793
Vega.
>>
File: VKCdkx5.gif (39KB, 509x472px) Image search: [Google]
VKCdkx5.gif
39KB, 509x472px
Has anyone figured out how to implement these yet?
>>
>>32749845
Pic related are emimonserrate's RBY party sprites that eevee added to the game

https://github.com/eevee/pokered/tree/new-icons

Probably unrelated to those sprites you posted, but I can only assume the mechanics involved are similar.
>>
>>32749845
didn't someone have a script for this?
>>
File: route_2_2_nk.png (109KB, 1504x800px) Image search: [Google]
route_2_2_nk.png
109KB, 1504x800px
>>32749659
I'll look into all this. Thanks.

Anyway, here's the western half of the route. Just finished it about 15 minutes ago.
>>
>>32750091
break up the flower patches
doesn't need to be wild grass or flowers only
add some smaller trees throughout, maybe some rocks

it's just too many flowers and way too much grass
use patches
add some ledges
add some berry trees
>>
Bimp
>>
>>32740505

needs giant billboards of kim jong un, and collectible kim jong un action figures hidden in every location
>>
>>32747490
No opinions?
>>
>>32695896
I added functionality back to the PokeFlute in Pokemon Crystal, but it never actually plays music
I tried looking at the scripts for Pokemon Red disassembly but it looks completely different

Any help?
>>
>>32752496
None of the code in items/item_effects.asm:PokeFlute is for playing music. You have to add that. And there are two "dummy" jumps that probably need some code filled in to complete the item's effect.
>>
>>32750091
MY EYES
>>
>Liquid Crystal
>Be warned, the plot takes a pretty hard beating, so avoid if you demand faithfulness to the originals.

How hard are we talking here?
>>
>>32752735
obnoxious self insert
>>
>>32747490
His butt seems to be big
Also, maybe some shading on the belt?
Besides maybe the haircut, nothing seems rich about him
>>
>>32752814
Thanks. For the butt, do you mean the hips or is it because of the pocket?
>>
>>32752875
hips, look up some trainer sprites from the game for reference (esp. the Rich boy class)
Also, the belt is massive
>>
>>32752949
Welp, I actually just modified a BW sprite. I'll definitely touch on the belt though. Thank you.
>>
>>32752735
Two self insert rivals and two self insert OC villains take increasing prominence into the plot until they're the only thing going on in Kanto, and after Victory Road, Silver decides he wants to be completely evil and takes over Team Rocket as its leader, completely undoing literally everything the character was about in the original game.
>>
Can you guys make a list from 1 to 5 about your favourite rom hacks? I actually played a lot of them,so i would like to know your point of view and maybe find a rom hack that i haven't played yet. (must be a completed one ofc). Thanks
>>
>>32749845
Someone used them but I don't remember who
It had a special script
>>
>>32695896
how do you view a 2bpp file to see what it looks like?
>>
>>32720004
It's also bad
>>
>>32753274
>1 to 5
>must be completed

>implying 5 (good) completed ROM hacks exist
>>
>>32753707
I don't think you can view a 2bpp file
can you convert them to png?
>>
>>32755439
in cygwin??
>>
>>32753707
>>32755288
Yes, you can.

>Convert them to PNG:
python gfx.py png gfx/[insert file name here].2bpp.lz
>Edit the PNG
>Convert back to compressed 2bpp:
python gfx.py 2bpp gfx/[insert file name here].png
python gfx.py lz [insert file name here].2bpp
>Recompile and test.
>>
>>32755485
Yes.
>>
Any decent romhacks that are actually fucking finished?
>>
>>32755523
No.
>>
>>32753707
You can use YY-CHR.exe to view 2bpp files and see the tiles they contain.

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/119/
>>
Looking for a 649/721/802 rom hack that also has shinies (if possible) and abilities up to gen 6 or higher in them. Preferably a gen 2/3 rom hack.
>>
File: kris_orig.7x7.png (418B, 56x56px) Image search: [Google]
kris_orig.7x7.png
418B, 56x56px
>>32755500
I've converted all "azure" pics to the original Kris pics from Pokemon Crystal
The sprites work, the trainer card works, the back sprite works...
but when you battle against Kris, it's still the Azure trainer sprite.

ideas?
>>
File: IMG_8660.jpg (37KB, 640x647px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8660.jpg
37KB, 640x647px
>>32755838
It works here...
>>
File: IMG_8661.jpg (51KB, 640x644px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8661.jpg
51KB, 640x644px
>>32755838
>>32756123
But not here
>>
>>32755838
>>32756123
>>32756131
bump
>>
>>32755838
gfx/trainers/kris_orig.7x7.2bpp.lz
>>
>>32756549
I replaced that one
I replaced every occurrence of "Azure" with Kris
>>
>>32756549
I can convert every 2bpp file to a png and can't find that azure anywhere
I'm not sure what to replace
>>
>>32756549
>>32756625
>>32756817
Just went through and deleted each 2bpp and lz file, then converted each png back to 2bpp/lz and still no luck

I don't understand why it's just this one trainer sprite

what am I missing?
>>
>>32756942
Did you get both the Azure sprite in gfx/trainers and the sprite in gfx/misc?
>>
>>32757173
Yes, that was the only way to get the back sprite replaced.
Back sprite works as well

And I actually replaced Azure on the title screen with Kris as well which is functional
>>
File: coloredsprites.png (39KB, 1633x769px) Image search: [Google]
coloredsprites.png
39KB, 1633x769px
>>32749845
found this but it makes no sense to me
I have the sprites if someone has the script
>>
>>32719059
What are some good essentials games for me to play? Is there a flowchart?
>>
>>32757997
>Good
>Essentials
Pick one
>>
>>32749936
>that missingno. party sprite
This makes me smile.
>>
File: IMG_20170528_234851.jpg (9KB, 416x287px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170528_234851.jpg
9KB, 416x287px
https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/victory-silph-co-employee
>>
Guys, I'm making a Pokémon-like game heavily inspired by the first entries of the series. What kind of thing would you like to have in a Pokémon game? Any ideas that you'd like to see implemented but that are Impossible in an engine like essentials?

Thanks!
>>
File: IMG_20170528_234842.jpg (10KB, 416x308px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170528_234842.jpg
10KB, 416x308px
https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/victory-silph-co-president
>>
File: tfw_transcended_rom_hacking.jpg (88KB, 400x429px) Image search: [Google]
tfw_transcended_rom_hacking.jpg
88KB, 400x429px
>>32759787
With Essentials, nothing is impossible.
>>
>>32755838
>>32756123
>>32756131
is it possible that sprite is under a different reference?
>>
>>32759816
Is it possible to have a stable 60 fps?
>>
>>32760811
Actually yes, it's a completely editable program in and out on a PC
but, you'd be outta yoor gott damn mind if you think I'd work so hard to update such an old system to that degree
>>
>>32759816
It was a bad choice of words. I'll remake the question: what do you wish a new (but retro) Pokémon game had?
>>
>>32759816
How about actually completing a game?
>>
File: 1335793724230.jpg (33KB, 446x400px) Image search: [Google]
1335793724230.jpg
33KB, 446x400px
>>32761517
>>
>>32761517
I'll reply to this post when my game is finished
>>
Anyone have any seedy, dilapidated-looking city maps? I need inspiration.
>>
Does anyone know how to get a save like this? links would be nice.
>>
File: 1483593570345.jpg (26KB, 239x268px) Image search: [Google]
1483593570345.jpg
26KB, 239x268px
>>32761948
>37 sold
>>
bamp
>>
>>32756123
>>32756131
anyone have any ideas?
it doesn't make sense that this trainer sprite keeps appearing

I've changed the back sprite, over world sprite, trainer card sprite, even title screen sprite

It's just this battle picture that won't change
>>
How would I best go about designing a pyramid-like building with GSC graphics/tiles?
>>
>>32763443
Carefully.
>>
>>32762004
normies r dum
>>
>>32763443
Multiple floors, shrink the dimensions of each floor slightly as you go up until you hit the top.
>>
Any good GBA rom hack that has been completed that you guys recom. play?
>>
Romhackfags the most desperate shitposters?
>>
Any gen 4 or 5 romhack with gen 6 and 7 Pokemon added? I want to play old games emulated on phone but with newer Pokemon. Yes?
>>
I did some pokecrystal crowdmap editing on routes 1, 2, 29, and 30, and then tried to "make" the file. I got this whenever I shifted files (Route 30 or otherwise) between BlockDatas to deal with the issue of one being "too big":

>$ make
>rgbasm -o maps.o maps.asm
>rgblink -n pokecrystal.sym -m pokecrystal.map -o pokecrystal.gbc wram.o main.o lib/mobile/main.o home.o audio.o maps.o engine/events.o engine/credits.o data/egg_moves.o data/evos_attacks.o data/pokedex/entries.o misc/crystal_misc.o text/common_text.o gfx/pics.o
>error: Unknown symbol 'Route_30_BlockData'
>make: *** [Makefile:59: pokecrystal.gbc] Error 1

I checked all 4 BlockData_#.asm files (4th I added myself) for this mistyped "Route_30_BlockData", but it's not in any of those. Any ideas?
>>
>>32761517
Where the hell do you think you are?
>>
File: pyramid bldg.png (14KB, 318x317px) Image search: [Google]
pyramid bldg.png
14KB, 318x317px
>>32766955
How does this look?
>>
>>32771223
Oh, I assumed you were talking about the interior.
Honestly, that doesn't look very good, but even if it did you wouldn't see most of the building in Gen 2 with its 160x144 screen. I think you wouldn't even see the second layer of the building unless you can walk around.
You might have to try doing custom tiles, I'm not sure.
>>
What makes a good plot/story in a hack/fan game? What makes for a bad one?
>>
File: Pallet_Town_RBY.png (13KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
Pallet_Town_RBY.png
13KB, 320x288px
I'm trying to edit the placements of signs, warp points, and people in any given map in the pokered assemble. I've localised the place to edit that info (pokered/data/mabObjects) but I can't make sense of the coordinates for these things.

Take signs in Pallet town for instance:

db $4 ; signs
db $d, $d, $4 ; PalletTownText4
db $9, $7, $5 ; PalletTownText5
db $5, $3, $6 ; PalletTownText6
db $5, $b, $7 ; PalletTownText7

That last byte refers to the actual text content for the sign, but what decides the values for the first two?
>>
>>32695896
hey /heg/ I wanted to give gaia a go but my file isn't working correctly.
>used 1635 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)
>tried both of the patching applications included
>get error message both times but it can still patch and run
>get white fucked up voltorb instead of kabuto for professor intro
>can get starter fine
>get to second town and I suddenly can't interact with anything
I'm no computer whiz so it might be something dumb I'm doing.
>>
>>>/v/380527308
>>>/v/380529203

What the heck was this guy talking about?
>>
>>32773615
An "engine" that will never come to fruition. Shit like this is never finished.
>>
Is there a changelog for the pokemon meme sapphire hack?
>>
>>32770413
Anyone?
>>
>>32771223
christ what is this...
>>
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but how does Graveler evolve in Liquid Crystal, and Slowpoke evolves into Slowking via sunstone I heard? Not 100% sure.
Thread posts: 239
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.