[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 14

File: Alola starters.png (308KB, 1024x294px) Image search: [Google]
Alola starters.png
308KB, 1024x294px
>>
One of them doesn't really accomplish much.
One of them has a decent offensive typing but neither much speed or bulk to make use of it.
One is fine.
>>
>>32652888
Trips confirm
>>
starterwars is still a thing.
>>
>>32652883
Leaked super fucking early and looked like shit fakemons during leak season, then as all the others were debunked these eventually got confirmed and still looked like shit fakemons.

Some people have asked which one is the "Greninja" of Gen 7. There is none. They're all shit.
>>
>>32652883
Decidueye.
>>
>>32652883
Swap speed and sp atk
Recovery
>>
>>32652883
All the starter war and false flagging shit.

Also GF cucked Decidueye stats and Incineroar movepool.
Primarina is good, but tbrh you really have to be some kind of evil genius to make a Water/Fairy Pokemon bad.
>>
>all the shitflinging between owlfags and tigerfags
>meanwhile Primarina cements itself as a serious threat in UU and as the most competitively viable starter
>>
>>32652901
>implying Greninja isn't shit
There are no good starters post 4th Gen
>>
File: 1487431773966.png (327KB, 550x779px) Image search: [Google]
1487431773966.png
327KB, 550x779px
>>32652943
We won.
>>
Decidueye is quite decent but it's humanoid and its artwork it's drawn from an incompetent piece of shit that makes it look even worse.

Incineroar is humanoid and its artwork it's drawn from an incompetent piece of shit that makes it look even worse, plus even if it's Fire/Dark it looks like another Fire/Fighting.

Primarina is humanoid and its artwork it's drawn from an incompetent piece of shit that makes it look even worse. Pluse it's crazy feminine its has lots of useless details and even fucking hair.
>>
People being overly attached to mediocre designs (not bad, but not terribly good either)?

Seriously, I picked one of them, went through the game. The designs themselves are barely worth shit and really not pleasing to the eyes. They're absolutely not worth shitposting about.

Then again, starters always have the thing of looking awkward as fuck as soon they hit final stage.

Pretty sure people are desperate for 8th gen to come if not only to never see these creature's mugs ever again.
>>
>>32653061

Yeah, no. You don't speak for everyone.
>>
>>32652883
Incineroar. Loved Litten and Torracat when they were revealed and I was so disappointed when I saw its final form. Maybe if it wasn't a starter I wouldn't mind so much, but I'm still annoyed that once again they went with a martial-arts sort of inspiration for the Fire starter. On top of that the design itself just isn't very interesting to look at (I like some of the Pokemon Refresh animations though).

It being Dark type makes up for that a bit but for some reason they decided it gets to be the only starter in history to actually go down in a stat when evolving.
>>
>>32652883

decidueye have shit stats
incineroar have shit movepool and no support for low speed
primarina is rather fine but have shitty special attack with no real support for it
>>
>>32653182

*special move
>>
>>32653182
126 is pretty fucking high, Keldeo is 129.
>>
>>32653182
>>32653186
don't really see latios crying because luster purge is shit.
>>
>>32653061

>Pretty sure people are desperate for 8th gen to come if not only to never see these creature's mugs ever again.

Considering all three of the final stages are so popular in fan art with barely any marketing, no, you are just pulling shit out from your ass with no real basis.
>>
>>32653182
Basically this.
Decidueye needs a redo. Put at least 40 points of that special attack in speed and attack. 100 Base speed and 117 base attack would already work wonders. It would be at least high UU like Primarina.

Incineroar needs a few moves, though it will likely get some of these as tutors (persuit, sucker punch, elemental punches especially fire punch, knock off and flying press) aswell as a reduce in special attack. Put 20 of the special attack points in speed and you got yourself a real nice aggressive support mon for doubles.

Primarina mostly needs moves. It lacks coverage moves, as well as the only thing that could save its HA, Boom Burst. It really only needs that. 80/74/116 bulk with 126 special attack and a water/fairy typing are already super fucking good.
>>
speaking as someone who doesn't care about competitive viability, this was the first gen where I boxed my starter immediately. I really dislike all three lines.
>>
>>32652883
No hidden ability yet.
>>
>>32652883
The first and mid stages are fine in my book, besides Brionne who still gets under my skin just a little bit, but this is the first time I've ever hated all the final stages. I couldn't give a shit less about their competitive viability.
>>
>>32653208
I dunno if Primarina really needs more coverage moves, it can learn Psychic to hit Poison types and Energy Ball on a Water type is pretty rare. Pretty much the only thing left to give it is some kind of fire move which would make no sense and would be kinda broken.
>>
>>32653228
As i've said, Boom Burst alone would be savior because of its HA. It really doesn't need much fixing unlike the other two that are either cucked by their speed and special attack or their missing moves.
>>
>Was expecting popplio to be slow
>Got water/fairy
>Great special attack
>Flexible movepool
>Has pretty good bulk
>Strongest Starter Z move

>exclusive move is crap
>hidden ability is crap without boomburst or the 20% buff

Popplio was everything thing I could have hoped for honestly after all the crap the poor guy/gal got during the hype season with idiots trying to turn it into the next oshawott.
>>
>>32653208
>It lacks coverage moves
nigga u blind. Primarina has moves out the ass.
>Water/Fairy already great coverage
>Energy ball hits other water types
>Psychic hits poison types
>Ice beam hits nothing in particular but is there
>Hidden power fuck ferrothorn always avaliable.

Boomburst is retarded. It would appreciate moonlight and calm mind though.
>>
>>32653237
Ice Beam is good for Grass Types, which is only useful in-game I guess.
>>
>>32652901
>shit fakemon

Anyone who knows Game Freak's design style knew they were real before Mallow even showed up. You just sound mad they turned out to be real.
>>
File: IMG_5252.png (109KB, 457x559px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5252.png
109KB, 457x559px
>>32653215
>he didn't box his starter immediately in Gen. 5

What are you doing, nigga?
>>
>>32653307
This. The amount of design elements and depth put into these design made it pretty clear from the start. What really got me was the expressions of Incineroar on its sheet. Just by looking at the expressions I knew somone with knowledge of animation needed to be behind it, even if it would turn out to be the biggest ruse in all of Pokemon. "Shit fakemons" show the exact opposite. They mostly fail to show any sort of character or expression and most of them are just elemental animals with no other design features added to them.
>>
>>32653307
>You just sound mad they turned out to be real.

This really seems to be the reason for a big part of the hate to me. People are still mad they got BTFO so hard.
>>
>>32653348
Friend there are still people assblasted about this happening in gen 5. This is the reality.
>>
>>32653369
Wottergate and Luchagate have a lot in common, a lot of people seem to miss that. Especially the amount of people trying to debunk them/claiming to be their creators. It's always fun to look back at those two events and see how autistic this board can get just by trying to debunk some Pokemon that were leaked and no matter what happens had a 50/50 chance of being real, at least before evidence like the second stages being shown or Mallow being confirmed pop up.
>>
>>32653208

incineroar don't need more speed as long as it have better trick room or better follow me ect.
support

I wish they put burn up on him
mimic
snatch

and we have;
darkest lariat
burn up
mimic/snatch for support
protect
>>
>>32653392

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Snatch_(move) it have lot of potential with burn up and incineroar's bulk
>>
>>32653414

but personally I would love to have focus energy on incineroar with razor claw/life orb in trick room, this shit is crazy
>>
>>32652883
I only play gen 1, these are digimons right?
>>
The biggest problem with them is their vocal fanbases that start starterwars
>>
>>32652883
They look like hot, wet dogshit.

Baracat is yet another Fire starter that turns into a bipedal humanoid for no reason.

87.5% male trannyseal is self-explanatory. Also, we didn't need another mermaid Pokemon.

Decidueye is the only one that looks half-decent. Its typing makes no sense, and its face looks weird, but I can look past that. What ruins it for me is that it has the most self-entitled, insufferable fanbase of any mon I've ever seen.
>>
>>32653767
>it has the most self-entitled, insufferable fanbase of any mon I've ever seen.
Flygonfag detected.
>>
>>32653766
Primarina fans don't even cause problems
>>
>>32653766
>>32653775
I don't even think it's really their fanbases anymore. I've noticed how "real" starter threads are getting rarer and rarer. I think the "real" fanbases were getting annoyed by it aswell and left for the most part. Most people that still cause starterwars are mostly falseflaggers that hate all three of them... but then again there's some really entitled real fanbases here, so it might actually be them. I've just noticed how starter dumps are pretty much non existent by now.
>>
>>32652883
damn, they look like fucking Marapets.
>>
File: wotteronshads.png (63KB, 540x526px) Image search: [Google]
wotteronshads.png
63KB, 540x526px
>>32653316
>Samurott
>Inferior to every Unovian Water type
Whats with you people underselling my bro? Is it really THAT mediocre?
>>
>>32653921
Well it does have objectively the worst design in the game. Some people let that influence their opinion of its gameplay.
>>
>>32653921
In a sense...yeah.
Incineroar needlessly took it's fighting secondary(headcanon)
It's a samurai pokemon yet it's best stat is special.
Overall just a really weird jump from dewott due to artist block.
>>
>>32652901

How do they look like shitty fakemons when they look exactly like something GF would make?
>>
boxfags
>>
>ANOTHER thread about starters
Even if it's to complain about them, that already gets done in the dozens of other starter shitposting threads we have every day. The only reason you'd want another thread about them is to see more shitflinging between starterfags, or falseflaggers who keep talking to themselves.
>>
>>32653020
This.
>>
>>32652883
Decidueye suffers from terrible stat distribution. Slow, frail, and I want to say mixed attacker but it has fuck all special moves to use it with.

Incineroar on the other hand has almost perfect stat distribution: It might be slow but 95/90/90 defenses make up for that. However, it suffers from a lack of good moves. No knock off, sucker punch, fire punch or blaze kick as well as absolutely NO options for water type coverage.

Primarina has great stats and a greater movepool, but a completely useless HA.
>>
>>32653020
>ts has lots of useless details and even fucking hair

It's almost like mermaids are known to have long flowing hair or something
>>
>>32653955
>Incineroar needlessly took it's fighting secondary(headcanon)
You mean Keldeo and Emboar? Incineroar isn't a Fighting type.

>It's a samurai pokemon yet it's best stat is special.
Oh so having a higher special attack AT A GLANCE is a bad thing when it's only an 8 point difference from it's physical. Alongside the FACT that it has access to Swords Dance and not Nasty Plot, which enables a physical set to hit harder than a special set. And people who complain that it tries to be a "jack of all trades" don't realize it's key to it's viability. As a purely physical mono Water that relies on Bug coverage would make it no different from Kingler, who is sitting in PU.

>Overall just a really weird jump from dewott due to artist block.
Oshawott and Dewott were primarily special attackers too ya know. Every gen had a starter line that specialized in special offense. And the fact that Water is the type commonly associated with special attacks.
>>
File: IMG_3522.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3522.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>32652883
>>
>>32653968
this. since 'boxing your starter' became a meme, GF started to be more shamless in their fetish pandering.
...jk, tough seriously guys, i get it you don't like your starters, but why are you looking down on people who do?
>>
>>32654108
>My arguments that aren't even tangential to the conversation somehow help my case
>>
>>32654108

>70 speed
>Mixed Attacker for no reason at all
>frail on one side

Samurott was a mistake, yet they did the same thing this generation
>>
>>32654108
>a though out argument
Anon why i've lost already.

Yeah i meant emboar.
Just saying I'd have expected a water samurai to be more physically inclined stats wise.
I think you missed my point for the last part. I'm saying theme wise samurott doesn't have much in common with oshawott and dewott design wise to show they share a common evolution family.
>>
>>32654158
>Mixed Attacker for no reason at all
>A STARTER is a mixed attacker
Have you forgotten little kids play these games?
>>
>>32654199
There are 2 kinds of mixed attackers. The ones done right(infernape) or the ones done wrong.
>>
>>32654199
Then give it 80 Special Attack. Not fucking 100/108.
>>
File: 34232.png (440KB, 430x487px) Image search: [Google]
34232.png
440KB, 430x487px
>>32654182
>I'm saying theme wise samurott doesn't have much in common with oshawott and dewott design wise to show they share a common evolution family.
Eh, they only changed the aquatic mammal base if anything. The shell and feudal japan theme was retained and expanded upon.
>>
>>32654100

And Primarina's big problem is being so apparantly based on a mermaid instead of being based on a seal with subltle references to mermaids.
>>
>>32654602

Yeeeeah... You're describing as "big problems" or "objectively bad" things that most people evidently like about Primarina or may even be their favourite part about it.
Speak for yourself.
>>
>>32652918
Nooo don't give them ideas for gen8's shitmon
>>
>>32653767
What is the other mermaid mon? Pretty sure Primarina is the first
>>
>>32654602

Yeah, this is what kills it for me. Although it's not exactly a mermaid, although it is one of the implications as well. It's a sea lion with selkie (thus the shedding appearance) and mermaid inspiration that meshes singing and dancing together.

The more I look at Primarina, the more I realize I'm not mad about the concept, theme or anything, it's more HOW it's executed design wise. I always pictured a sea lion as a starter just before the games or anything had been announced. Had it been a magician, a clown, a dancer or a singer or both or this and that, I wouldn't actually mind it. But then I look at Primarina and.. details in it just make it look more tacky than it should. In the end, it all falls apart and makes it really borish for me. Extra detail/accessories shouldn't really make a pokemon's design, you've got to coin the balance between simplicity and complexity. Primarina is what happens when you get too pretentious, thinking that adding hair and other trinkets to it will suddenly just make it shine. But adding too much might conflict with certain aspects.

I might know why they decided to make it more feminine and that might be because of certain European pronouns for animal species. In my language, the fox, snake and seal (not so much sea lion) pronouns are female, which coincides with how Game Freak handled those.
>>
>>32652883
Fakemon created by a millionaire.
>>
I'm just pleasantly surprised all three are being shat on fairly equally in this thread. Good job lads.
>>
>>32652883
Everything
>>
My biggest problem with Incineroar is that Pyroar already does the big fire cat while looking much cooler and with a unique typing. Since I can always take Pyroar when I want a fire type, I'd never take Incineroar.
>>
>>32652883
They copied and pasted the shitty gen 6 starters
>>
>>32655562
Personal preferences I guess. And the fact that Pyroar is pretty much a "fire lion" and Incineroar is a "humanoid fire tiger with a wrestling theme", those are some pretty big differences and both aim at people that like different things. Though to be honest, I hate both of them. Pyroar is way too underdesigned, the typing is shit and the mane looks like fucking ketchup and mustard while Incineroar is too humanoid, ugly and just obnoxious in it's attitude.
>>
>>32655672
at least the gen 6 starters are not leaked early
>>
Someone post bald primarina >>32654100
>>
>>32652901
This is true.
>>
>>32655062

I agree with this. While I like Primarina the most of the three I can't say I'm exactly in love with the design. The pearls as a design choice fine. Starfish headphones fine. Frills fine. Conch spikes (that's what I'm assuming they're meant to be) fine. Flowing hair fine. But all together it's just way too much.

Primarina with just the hair and headphones with no chest frill (which looks awkward anyway), spikes or pearls would be much better. Or pearls and no starfish.

I'd love to see edits of this to see what a good balance would be.
>>
>>32655062
>tl;dr I want Primarina to literally be my mom's seal
>>
>>32655914
This is why I'm oddly fond of Incineroar on that front, of all things. It doesn't really have clothing or a ton of accessories that stand out on it compared to the other two, and so it wouldn't look out of place in an earlier gen because of that - if it and Feraligatr traded places, outside the Fire-Water-Grass triangle it wouldn't feel out of place in Gen II.

I don't mind all three either, for the record, but the over-design/accessories was a problem this gen.
>>
>>32654672
>>32655974
Christ, sealcucks are really sensitive about their precious mermaid. I always love seeing them get butthurt when people post legitimate criticisms on Primarina.
>>
>>32653020
I think you need to relearn the meaning of "humanoid"
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 1130x1230px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 1130x1230px
>>32655914
Not an edit, but soemthing like this?

Anyway, I don't see the fuss about these starters honestly. I feel the same about them like I do any other trio: dislike two starters and like one, but don't get hung up on the ones I hate and move on. I don't get people who brag about boxing their starter either. I've done that before but I don't see the big deal. Good job on being so cool and different from the normie players I guess?
>>
>>32655982
>It doesn't really have clothing
>grey torso that resembles a shirt with its sleeves ripped off
>wrestling belt
Dumb baracuck
>>
>>32656022
...that actually looks pretty good if you add the blue dress-thingy back on and make it Primarina-size (unless it's supposed to be already).

I also agree with you re: liking one but not getting hung up on the other two and boxing. Good opinions.
>>
File: IMG_6198.jpg (81KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6198.jpg
81KB, 431x450px
>>32656003

And I love people like >>32654602
who think they have some kind of authority in Pokemon design and try to make their preferences sound like objective fact.
>>
>>32656039
Haha! Stupid anon. I said STANDS OUT. I don't really see the gray shirt like you do unless I stretch and the belt's pretty easy to ignore - not to mention a fire pokemon needs something to show it's a fire mon.

I guess you're gonna reach for the "BUT THE PROPORTIONS" meme next?
>>
>>32656003
>I always love seeing them get butthurt when people post legitimate criticisms on Primarina
I just disagree with the anon's vision of seeing the mermaid inspiration and hair as an inherently "objectively bad" thing, especially when the latter is such a prominent element in fan art, which makes me just assume most people like it.
I disagree with the over-designed thing too, but this has been discussed many times and I don't really feel like going in-depth into it.
>>
>>32656065
Is a reasonable sealpal. Good on you for real.

>>32656051
Proves my point, however.
>>
>>32656058
I could say the same things about primarina but that goes against your factual opinions hey? Better not
>>
File: Primarina_Dream_World.png (159KB, 968x324px) Image search: [Google]
Primarina_Dream_World.png
159KB, 968x324px
>>32655914

Normal, No frills, no starfish/spikes, no chest frill/pearls
>>
File: IMG_1502.jpg (13KB, 350x291px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1502.jpg
13KB, 350x291px
>>32656079
>Proves my point, however.

Thanks for not directly replying to me. So you have no argument then. Got it.

Disliking Primarina is okay but don't act like you can dictate what qualifies as a good Pokemon design or not. There's almost 1000 of these creatures, so inevitably, they're all going to come in different shapes and sizes. If you're put off by Primarina's heavy mermaid influence, fine, fair enough. But to push your preference by calling it a "problem", especially when it's something people clearly like about it, just comes off as pompous.
>>
>>32655914
>>32656208
The ones that take out the frills and bubbles wouldn't really make sense coming from Brionne and Popplio. The one without starfish could work if you did something about those awkward blank spots on the sides of the head.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u5.jpg (66KB, 800x682px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u5.jpg
66KB, 800x682px
TOO FUCKING SLOW!!!!!
>>
>>32656208
Third is the best
>>
File: Primarina_Dream_World.png (57KB, 246x315px) Image search: [Google]
Primarina_Dream_World.png
57KB, 246x315px
>>32656278

Maybe by adding more pearls.
I figured the frills or bubbles/pearls could be removed as it wouldn't be the first time Gamefreak removed an "iconic" feature from a starter line (Greninja losing the bubbles for tongue scarf).
>>
>>32656324
I take it back this is the best
>>
>>32652883
They made Litten's evo bipedal but other than that not much honestly.
>>
>>32656324
Not bad.
Now add pink spikes on its torso so they complement the pink flecks of the eyes and the pink nose, they can even be useful as stabilizers when swimming underwater.
Also add pink Starfish to make the tiara on its head look like headphones, it will look prettier and still be subtle enough.
Fixed!
>>
File: 1478119531428.jpg (785KB, 1614x2114px) Image search: [Google]
1478119531428.jpg
785KB, 1614x2114px
>>32656324
Just give Primarina back its ears and it'll be fine
>>
>>32656364
t. sealfag holy shit >>32656003 is right after all

>>32656374
jesus it actually lost its ears hahahahahaha
>>
>>32656208

I oddly like the second one although it'd be weird to remove the frills entirely because of Brionne's frills, but the third one with no spikes makes the design feel more natural, which I appreciate as well (can't for the life of me figure out how a Primarina would ever be comfortable with those around while laying on a rock by the shore).
>>
>>32656421
No frills makes it looks like a pre pubescent girl m8
>>
>>32656324

Or we could pretend that the extra pearl in the head is in fact its ears.

I love tiny sea lion ears.
>>
>>32653208
This. Minus the part about Primarina's movepool, I think it's pretty good already.
>>
>>32656208
Is it weird that I still like the original the best despite the stars having no reason to be there? I actually think they're really cute and I wish there was a way to add something similar to substitute for those without looking out of place. That or change Popplio and Brionne to make the addition of stars look natural, but I'm fine with their designs as is.
>>
File: Good laugh.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
Good laugh.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>32656432

I'm sure /vp/ wouldn't like that, right?

Just kidding, I did mention removing them entirely would make it odd. I prefer the third one although removing the starfishes completely makes it only have a blue scheme, which might be bland for some. Why not leave just one at least.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.