[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it just me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: Vaas_3.jpg (5KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
Vaas_3.jpg
5KB, 256x192px
or are the older versions of pokemon more fun? i like pokemon fire red on my gba emulator more than pokemon alpha sapphire on my 3ds
>>
>>32650157
That's because Game Freak wants to shove in as many cutscenes as possible in the newer games.
>>
true
>>
The older games have a simplistic charm to them
The new ones feel like they're trying to be something they're not, meanwhile have essentially the exact same gameplay. So you ask yourself "why"
"Is any of this necessary"
"Does any of this enhance my experience"
The answer is usually "no"
So you go back to the older games, that don't waste your time with extra nonsense that nobody asked for
>>
>>32650172
Nice meme.
>>
3ds era games have yet to surpass the platnium/hgss/BW2 triple finish
>>
>>32650307
it's not tho
>>
It's because the 2D games have the simplicity, style, and charm that the 3D games lack.

The 3DS games are ugly and filled with so much bullshit to drudge through.
>>
>>32650807
The DS games are 3DCG, though. Not autostereoscopic 3D but still.
>>
>>32650813
They still have the classic 2D artstyle. They're basically 2D with some enhancements.

Being 3D doesn't make it ugly, it's how lazy with GF with the look of the 3DS games.
>>
RBY have a very simple Dragon Quest/Earthbound charm.
Pokemon have smaller movesets, static stats, most pokemon are designed around being enemies first, party members later.

Not saying they're better, but for someone who doesn't care much about pokemon's mechanics outside using STAB attacks and coverage, there's an appeal.
>>
>>32651090
RGBY and GSC, no?
>>
File: 1494967389502.gif (71KB, 531x414px) Image search: [Google]
1494967389502.gif
71KB, 531x414px
sprites > 3D
>>
I just discovered Red++ and before now I thought I was burnt out on gen 1
>>
>>32650302
You're on track, but I'd venture that the real problem is actually that there really is no "extra nonsense" to speak of, it's literally the same shitty 20-year-old game built for a glorified calculator with a shiny 3D skin but no other enhancements, so you end up expecting so much more and ending up disappointed when you realize that not only is it still just a 2D game that merely thinks it's a 3D game, but it's one with even less features overall than its 2D predecessors.

3D is supposed to bring everything to life, but all it does for Pokémon is highlight how empty and lifeless things really are. Gen 6 and 7 were both boring, unmemorable and really lacking in things to do.
>>
>>32650307
what he should say is that Gamefreak wants to shove in as many retarded tutorials, interrupts, and cutscenes into the game as possible so that it makes their shitty ass game seem longer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_MT9q54MGY
>>
>>32652239
Nah, 3D opens a world of potential in so many ways and lots of cool, immersive, shit you can do that just wouldn't work with sprites. Not only that, but it means potentially less overhead spent on making new sprites for every generation, theoretically giving them more time to focus on the actual features instead of shit they've already done 5 times before.

It's just that GF didn't do any of that shit, they slapped the same old game in a new shiny suit and gave it even less than what the older games had. People are right to say that you shouldn't expect it to be a game you play forever and ever, but for fucks sake, give us something.
>>
>>32652333
What's that?
>>
>>32650307
Degenerate duty
>>
>>32650157
We call that nostalgia, hon.
>>
>>32650157
It's because the older gens tend to be more like Megaman X with how it teaches players. Comparing the design philosophies of RGBY/GSC to SM, you can easily notice how Gen 1 is Megaman X where as SM are every modern game.
RGBY:
>Get told what Pokemon in brief
>Explore you tiny town
>Get starter and immediately start after an easy battle
>Only tutorial is on how to catch Pokemon
>First Pokemon seen are easy to evolve shitmons, showing the core mechanics early on
>First Gym leader uses the types that have different effectiveness for each starter and Normal type moves
>Never told where to go the player has to figure out what to do based on logic and how familiar buildings are
SM:
>Looong ass cutscene that seems like forever
>Every 5 steps, there is a cutscene
>Tells players what is and isn't super effective on what
>Some early Pokemon don't even evolve until late game
>First "gym" after about 20 interruptions is a normal type and the new child players wouldn't know really know much about the typing system without the hints
>Markers everywhere, making a game as linear as RGBY feel more linear
>Said markers wouldn't need to exist trials took place in landmark buildings instead of random forest areas
SM basically took the teaching and developers trust elements from Gen 1 and pissed all over it. Most elements like the early evolver shitmon evolving at lvl 10 being completely discarded for no understandable reason.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.