[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for good all-around special defense/defense pokemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

File: jellicent.png (39KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
jellicent.png
39KB, 250x250px
I'm looking for a pokemon that is okay all-around, and has decent defense/special defense with not too bad hp (at least 80-90 each) and I'm having some conundrums figuring out what to use.
The current ones I have figured are: Jellicent, Snorlax, Bronzong, Claydol, and maybe last resort as umbreon because it's weird to get, unless you guys can recommend umbreon strongly over the others
>>
>>32630546
For what purpose? Competitive? What tier/metagame?
>>
I also don't want it to be weak to too many things, because otherwise it will take too much damage and be useless.
>>
>>32630564
Competitive, as in online playing against real players, playing the real game is not that hard.
>>
>>32630546
>>32630569
Celesteela is an obvious one, unless if you're looking for a less common mon in the meta.
>>
>>32630576
Right. You have answered only one of my questions. What about the others? You realize different Pokémon are good (or allowed) for different metagames and Smogon Tiers right?
>>
>>32630584
Sorry, I forgot to say I don't want it to be legendary or from sun and moon, as I only have pokemon X.

The reason why jellicent is included above is because it's only type weaknesses are mostly special attacks, which means it can have a slightly lower defense value

>>32630591
I don't care for smogon tiers, they are made up.
>>
>>32630569
>I also don't want it to be weak to too many things, because otherwise it will take too much damage and be useless.
>Claydol
>>
>>32630625
It was a loose list, not that I was going with any particular one
>>
>>32630546
Of the ones you're considering, Jellicent is the best because it has reliable recovery (Umbreon has Moonlight but it's only 5PP and you're only kind of considering it). Its lower Defense compared to Special Defense can be aided by using burning moves such as Scald or Will-O-Wisp.
>>
>>32630546
Some other ones that I've found that I like are Kingdra, Lickilicky, and Bouffalant, as they all are very all-around and good for anything really
>>
Post the rest of your team, what I suggest depends on what compliments it the best.
>>
>>32630697
I have a luxray for physical attacking (with fire fang, ice fang, wild charge, and crunch for most coverage of moves) and can take a few hits,
and a pokemon I call "cell" which is a roselia with eviolite with grass whistle, sludge bomb, mega drain, and dazzling gleam or whatever that fairy move was, and
then a frosslass with thunderbolt, shadow ball, frost breath, and hail to aid dodging chances in dire siutations

That's all I have planned, and yes I do have a serious weakness to fire as of now, so jellicent or any of the normal types I have suggested would fit better
>>
Tyranitar and Tangrowth are both really solid mixed walls, especially with Assault Vest. Tangrowth has more longevity with Regenerator, but if you're looking for something that can take a supereffective hit to the face without giving a single fuck, Tyranitar is absolutely insane.
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 212-252 (52.4 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
>>
>>32630745
I'm against tryranitar just because I think it's over-used and I want to be unexpected, my ability to make the tangrowth work would be based on my ability to acquire a hidden ability tangela and then continue to breed that up, and doesn't it seem a little weak to it's own weaknesses (fire, ice, poison), with it's low special defense? Even with assault vest. But I'll keep that in mind at least.
>>
I wouldn't give this autistic OP any more advice. He's particular to the point of being downright anal and hasn't said a kind word to anyone who has provided feedback thus far.
>>
>inb4Regice
>>
>>32630965
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, and I didn't think I was being too particular, as I gave plenty of options that I thought would work, I'm just looking for someone to confirm any good options.
>>
Amoonguss + Slowbro core is your friend here. Both regenerator, both with reliable healing, Bro covers phys, Amoonguss can cover spec. just keep switching and tanking hits while you do chip damage with some STABs.
>>
Goodra is a pretty good special wall that can absorb grass moves and hit back decently.
Mega Sableye is a great mixed wall due to its solid defenses and support movepool
>>
>>32630999
I think I could use goodra, it should be able to tank anything it's weak too with it's high special defense, and give back, that's actually a good option now that I look at it's stats.
I can't use mega sableye as I don't have Sun/moon, but it's stats do look impressive.

Thank you for helping
>>
>>32630989
My team is weak to special moves so I would go for a special defense wall, and amoongus seems a little low on the general defense numbers to be defensive, unless you know that regenerate makes it a lot better, and that it's easy to get it's hidden ability?
>>
>>32631198
I mean, you were considering Lickilicky and Kingdra so it's not like your own opinion is something you should be relying on
>>
Eviolite Porygon2's not bad.
It's got great bulk, decent Special Attack, especially when boosted by Adaptability or Download, BoltBeam coverage, reliable recovery, and mono-Normal is better defensive typing than you might initially think.
You could even try running Z-Conversion since it gets the same defensive boosts that Eviolite gives after it sets up, although it can't switch out afterwards without losing the boosts permanently and doesn't have as much offensive presence as Porygon-Z does.
>>
Florges, particularly with Calm Mind, is nearly untouchable from the special side. I'm running a hybrid cleric/CM sweeper set to great effect, especially when paired with Steelix. Calm Mind lets Florges monoattack comfortably AND replace Synthesis with Wish, which Steelix greatly appreciates.
>>
>>32631247
>You could even try running Z-Conversion since it gets the same defensive boosts that Eviolite gives after it sets up, although it can't switch out afterwards without losing the boosts permanently and doesn't have as much offensive presence as Porygon-Z does

but that's retarded

>>32631255
There isn't any point in Florges if he can use Sylveon
>>
Alright, I think I have it down to two options and that's good enough for me, thank you all for helping, feel free to keep talking or bash on me, I don't pretend to be an expert but I'm at least not a beginner, although maybe I am to your perspectives.
>>
>>32631263
I haven't tried it myself, but I believe Z-Conversion Porygon2 saw some use in VGC, didn't it?
>>
>>32631263
The two are pretty much interchangable, but we're specifcally talking about special walling, and if you're looking solely at that aspect, Florges beats Sylveon out by just a hair IMO. In general though, you're absolutely right.
>>
>>32630546
>Jellicent
>Umbreon
>Snorlax
>Claydol
>good
if you want good special pivots, Tangrowth is probably your best option with Assault Vest although Alolan Muk with AV also works since it checks the Tapus better. Mega Scizor is bulky on both sides and gets Roost and free momentum in U-turn. Those are your best options, don't use whatever the fuck you listed.
>>
>>32631452
what does "free momentum in U-turn" mean?
>>
>>32631505
You use U-turn instead of just hard switching. That's free momentum.
>>
>>32631505
It means instead of having to slow down and give up an attack, losing momentum, you get an attack and a switch.
>>
>>32631523
>>32631535
Alright, I get that, thanks, but how does one tell when to switch? I always find it kindof "dishonerabur".
>>
>>32631561
If you want to win in competitive you have to stop thinking of switching the way you do.
You should switch any time it would give you an advantage.
For example if your Ferrothorn is out vs your opponent's Charizard and you're expecting him to use a fire attack, you should switch to a pokemon that resists fire. There's no reason to let your Ferrothorn die.
>>
>>32631561
are you fucking retarded? switching is how you win games. you switch out when you dont want your mons that you need to win a game to fucking die.
>>
>>32631561
you're retarded

>i should keep my Stingulor in against this Pomboss because of honor

Idiot
>>
>>32631606
helpfull

>>32631621
>>32631652
salty, also said I kindof think of it that way, I know in reality it's needed, I was asking when.
>>
>>32631606
Except your opponent predicts your switch from Ferrothorn to Kingdra and so they use Dragon Claw instead of Flare Blitz, so you DON'T switch and get the Resistance.
>>
>>32630726
I would replace Mega Drain with Giga Drain unless you really need 5 more PP

Stockpile Swalot would be pretty good
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.