[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grass-type Starters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

How come grass type starters have been consistently shit compared to fire and water?
>Venusaur
Grass/poison is walled by 2 types and the only worthwhile tm it can use is earthkek, it doesn't learn anything but grass and poison moves
>Meganium
whenever someone mentions shitty movesets this thing comes first on everybody's mind
>Sceptile
It has more SpA than Atk but learns only 3 worthwhile special attacks
>Torterra
It has none of the previously mentioned issues but is terribly slow
>Serperior
Meganium v2.0
>Chesnaught
Torterra v2.0
>Decidueye
Sceptile with Torterra DLC

Not to mention that the type is resisted by 6 things. So why?
>>
everyone reply to this post with costanza w/ the bat or edits thereof
>>
>>32622471
In Sceptile's defense, it was better built for Gen 3 with Leaf Blade and ThunderPunch.
>>
>>32622471
Venusaur was the best of the Gen 1 starters till Charizard got two megas.
Meganium is shit, yeah.
Mega Sceptile made it much better, not really shit.
Torterra at least had a good design.
Serperior is really goddamn good, dunno what the fuck you are smoking.
Chesnaught is a shitty abomination that isn't worth a single shit competitively, agreed.
Decidueye is fucking great in UU and will rise once Ash-Decidueye is out.

So after all of this I can conclude that you are a barafag. Stop starting starterwars and leave this board with your cat.
>>
>>32622499
>Serperior is really goddamn good, dunno what the fuck you are smoking.
I think OP was talking about Serperior during gen 5, before it got Contrary.
>>
File: 1495607623601.png (105KB, 594x413px) Image search: [Google]
1495607623601.png
105KB, 594x413px
>>32622471
>Venusaur and Serperior
You are right about the others brOP, but those two are ,from a competitive stand point, the best of their set of starters. [Spoiler] This is coming from a guy whose a Squirtlefag and likes Tepig.
>>
>>32622499
>Decidueye is fucking great in UU and will rise once Ash-Decidueye is out.
I'm getting really tired of reading this shit.
At first I thought they were falseflaggers, but I guess not.
Anyway Chesnaught is doing better than Decidueye in UU, just letting you know.
>>
>>32622499
I'm putting more accent on the in-game usefulness. So no contrary serperior. And it's pretty bad if mon's usefulness is entirely propped up by its ability.
Mega sceptile got the kyogre treatment with lightning rod. Plus its strongest and only special dragon move has 60BP
>Ash-Decidueye
Stop shipping ash forms. Anime is the worst thing about this franchise

And I'm not aiming to start starterwars. Grass type starters just got shafted the most, and that's a fact
>>
>>32622546
You're genuinely fucking retarded if you think Shitnaught is, has been, or will ever be worth competitively
>>
>>32622574
So do you have an argument to back up that statement?
It is ranked the same as Decidueye in UU, except people are suggesting for to rise a bit.
Also these are the Premiere League stats for both, which are always a decent indication of how good a Pokémon is at high competitive levels:
| Rank | Pokemon | Use | Usage % | Win % |
| 36 | Chesnaught | 9 | 4.17% | 44.44% |
| 64 | Decidueye | 2 | 0.93% | 0.00% |

They have different roles and Decidueye will be better once Clefable is gone, but right now Chesnaught seems better or at least at the same level as Decidueye.
>>
>>32622616
>Ash-Decidueye used Hidden Power Fire!
>Shitnaught died!
>>
>>32622616
>So do you have an argument to back up that statement?
The objective facts that Chesnaught has never seen use in VGC AND has never been viable in OU.
>>
>>32622471
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, so let's go through this one by one.

>Venusaur
Actually the most competitive viable of the three starters in Gen I. While it lacked coverage in its move pool, it was very much a viable status spreader, carrying the coveted Sleep Powder. Not fantastic, but better than "I'm just Moltres but worse in ever way" Charizard and "The most generic water type ever" Blastoise. In terms of in-game usage, while it didn't have a powerful STAB like Charizard and Blasoise, it's type advantage over the first three gyms means that you have plenty of time to find mons that cover his weaknesses
>Meganium
Mostly shit, and gets shit on by most of the gyms, but most of the starters this gen aren't that good. At least it can cure status, I guess, that gives it slightly more use than "Generic physical attacking water" Feralgatr
>Sceptile
A product of its time, back before the Special Physical split. At least it had some good movesets in Gen 3 because of it
>Torterra
Pretty crappy, but something worth noting is that it can hit the other two starters for super effective damage, and depending on how lucky you get with stats, he can tank anything your rival's Infernape dishes out and pay him back with a 1hko Earthquake if they're around the same level
>Serperior
A solid Sub-Seeder with a busted hidden ability. Easily the most useful of the three starters this gen.
>Chesnaught
He's fine, just overshadowed by Lightning Frog.
Out of characters.
>>
>>32622678
Hay, you forgot Deicudye
>>
>>32622692
I didn't play SM.
Actually, looking up some stuff on Gen II revealed to me that Meganium was a decent duel screen mon, so yeah a cleric that was more useful than the water starter that gen for pvp play. Still gets fucked because Johto hates grass mons, though.
>>
>>32622471
I have to admitt, compared to the other starters the grass type could really be boring and weak, but during their generation, they were usefull. Competetive play is another point to compare them, so sey are really weaker against fire or water starters, but I really like them.

In my opinion it´s good, when a grass starter gets a second type, so chikorita and snivy seem to be bad, but especially serperior with contrary was damn usefull and good until gen 7.
>>
>>32622702
>not keeping up to date with Pokemon games

Why Anon?
>>
>>32622553
>Plus its strongest and only special dragon move has 60BP
Dragon Pulse has 90BP, what are you smoking?
>>
>>32622678
You might be right about venusaur, but
>Meganium
There is no universe in which Leaf Guard is better than Sheer Force with Dragon Dance
>Sceptile
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sceptile_(Pokémon)/Generation_III_learnset#By_leveling_up
Look at it. It's even worse in gen III
>Serperior
Stall sets are shit in-game. And it has nothing to offer besides its HA, which you can't get in standard play, so you're better off replacing it with leavanny
>chesnaught
Doubly weak to the fastest type in the game
>>
>>32622846
I was obviously talking about how good they were in their respective gens, not how they all stake up now.

Speaking of which, you're being hypocritical for the sake of maintaining what little argument you had.

>Serperior sucks because it needs its HA
>Meganium sucks because Feraligatr gets a better HA

If you're talking about how they are as in game Pokemon, then Meganium is better than Feraligatr due to being harder to replace in regards to its niche.
If you're talking about how the Pokemon fare in competitive, Serperior shits all over the other Unova starters thanks to its HA.

Also, Sceptile gets access to Thunderpunch, Crunch, and Leaf Blade, which was good enough coverage for the gen. Still the weakest of the three starters, but it's something.
>>
>>32622553
>I'm putting more accent on the in-game usefulness.
Everything is fucking useful in game, these games are made for children and the difficulty shows it.
>>
>>32622887
>then Meganium is better than Feraligatr due to being harder to replace in regards to its niche
That doesn't mean much when Meganium's niche is fucking shit in GSC/HGSS. You don't need Grass-types for anything in GSC/HGSS and I'd even go so far as to argue that carrying around a Grass-type disadvantages you at that point.
>>
>>32622887
>>32622887
>I was obviously talking about how good they were in their respective gens, not how they all stake up now.
My bad, I mixed up leaf guard and natural cure which is why I even mentioned it

Regardless, Serperior is absolute dogshit in game, and needs its HA to function in the first place and stall moves aren't exactly rare to come by so Meganium isn't that of a special snowflake competitively, and worst of the three in-game.
>>
File: ScreenShot_20170529000324.png (66KB, 487x548px) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot_20170529000324.png
66KB, 487x548px
>>32622927
>Everything is fucking useful in game
>>
>>32622972
It's useful against Seismitoad :^)
>>
>>32622962
>You will never be this desperate in your attempts to prove your faulty theory about grass types being shafted.
Honestly, it just feels like you couldn't figure out how to use them, and are taking it out on everyone else.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.