[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about Pokemon is more fun than actually playing Pokemon.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: 1459476038972.jpg (52KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1459476038972.jpg
52KB, 640x640px
Thinking about Pokemon is more fun than actually playing Pokemon.
>>
>>32622050
Honestly, yeah. At least with the state of the current mainline games. I had a lot more fun posting here and seeing the new designs be revealed during reakseason than actually playing the games. Just a prime example why you should never hype yourself up for a game, since in like 50% of all cases it won't live up to your expectations.
>>
The battle system just isn't engaging or interesting enough. At low level play its just spam high BP attacks and use the type chart. At high level play its just abusing broken unfun gimmicks. At all levels of play, its riddled with RNG.

I'm only interested in Pokemon as a tabletop roleplaying game. At least then I can have an interesting engaging experience instead of a hamfisted babby story with a garbage battle system from 1993.
>>
>>32622081
I agree. Thinking about the Pokemon world and creating ideas with it is some of the most fun I've had with the series over the past years than I've ever had with the mainline games.

I think the only real time modern games made me feel anything other than stone face or confused disgust is getting to fight an actual legit non-event version of my favourite Pokemon in ORAS. Other than that? Nothing.

Maybe it's because I'm older? I don't remember thinking like this growing up; I used to get so involved with my team, the world, the online; Gen 4 was a magical time. I fondly remember the random wifi battles of Pokemon Battle Revolution, back when I'd put Hyper Beam on everything because I thought it was so cool.

I don't know what's happened, whether I've changed, the game's changed or something else, but it just feels... empty. Numbing.
>>
>>32622050
Idk about these other people making it sound like Pokémon left a void in their soul, but yeah OP I agree.

That's how I've always felt, though.
>>
>>32622050
I'm having plenty of fun replaying Crystal right now.
You're right regarding the latest few gens though.
>>
>>32622050
Speculating about Pokemon games is always fun. It's why fan games are so cool. And it's always why we're inevitably disappointed with the main games.
>>
This is really...accurate for me. I'm a hardcore fan but haven't touched my 3ds in over a month.
>>
>>32622050
I tried an emerald nuzelocke and got bored after about 30 minutes
>>
>>32622050
>Thinking about anything is more fun than doing anything.

That's literally what autism is
>>
>>32622050
The mainline games are getting worse, there are currently less spinoff because of the mobile market, the meta( both VGC and OU) is so cancerous that is not even funny anymore joking about it and the developers clearly confirmed that they don't care about us and our opinions.
Just play old games and romhacks or move to another series
>>
>>32622187

>Replaying the same games with baby difficulty over and over again for 15 years, taking the time and energy to breed instead of inject, and enjoying broken ass RNG riddled power creep "all your favorites suck" pokemon pvp

Literally autism.

The reason thinking about pokemon is more fun is because the groundwork for such a fun and amazing world is laid out and the games don't live up to what you could do with the pokemon universe. Its wasted potential.
>>
>>32622050
I agree, but while some other anons are talking about speculation and hype season, for me it's more that the battle system isn't, well, flashy enough. As a writer I picture such vivid scenes of two Pokemon moving and exchanging blows, something the games just fail to replicate due to their turn-based nature and small number of move animations per Pokemon.
>>
>>32622201
True. Tons of wasted potential. And many untouched ideas full of " what ifs"
>>
>>32622205

The battle system is so boring gen 2 actually has more enjoyable battles because leaving you to fill in stuff with your imagination is better than showing you a lot more like the modern games do.
>>
File: Smiling Leopard Gecko.webm (677KB, 214x214px) Image search: [Google]
Smiling Leopard Gecko.webm
677KB, 214x214px
>>32622050
I fucking love geckos.
>>
>>32622201
>>32622235
THIS. Feels like i play more for the world and pokemon than for the game itself
>>
>>

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel. That's one of the reasons I'd like gamefreak to attempt a mainline game on the switch, and try to go full botw on everything but the combat system. It feels like the Pokemon world is completely underutilized with the current games, and something like a world more suited to exploration would make the idea of catching and finding Pokemon a lot more enjoyable than it is now.
>>
One thing I don't like about Pokemon is that catching a rare pokemon really just comes down to figuring out which patch of grass is the right one to walk around in circles in. It takes no skill, it isn't engaging or difficult. Its literally just walking around in a circle until you find what you want. You know that nothing is going to stop you or get in your way, the process may as well just be sped up if nothing is going to get in your way. It's really nice when you can run the game at several times the normal speed when doing this on an emulator.

How can we make catching rare pokemon more fun and engaging? That thing in ORAS to catch pokemon with hidden abilities was going in the right direction in my opinion. You actually had to actively hunt down the pokemon you wanted. It's by no means perfect and could be greatly improved, its just an example of something that I think is you know, better.
>>
>>32622588
you gotta remember back in the days before everyone had internet and after that when kids didn't use it too much that we knew rare pokemon were a thing and we'd have to find out from someone else or hunt around the region for it. I remember when I was a kid about rumors of rare pokemon in d/p/p like driffloon, rotom and spritomb
>>
>>32623080

Then GameFreak needs to modernize. Because the internet is here to stay, and has been for a long time. This was an excuse at the latest up to gen 3.
>>
>>32622588
>How can we make catching rare pokemon more fun and engaging?
A legendary that you have to find within a dark cave. When you find it, you can only beat it. Pokeballs, including the Master ball, won't work. After you beat it, it goes deeper in the cave. Once in the second section, you can't use escape ropes, Dig, or any other method to get you out. You can only leave by walking, and Flash only lights up a small area around you. The Pokemon of this area are 15 levels higher than those of the previous and harder to escape from. At the end is the legendary, 20 levels stronger. Beating it or capturing it sends you out of the cave.

Another idea is a legendary that can only be battled when you have the right items. You have to get the items that two other legendaries are holding and brought to the area to be given entrance.

If the game has diving spots, another is to have three pieces of an item hidden at different item spots. You have to make the item that summons the legendary to a specific area.

That's all I got.
>>
>>32623236

>Legendary

I didn't even read the rest of what you said. That defeats the entire purpose of what I was talking about.
>>
The Pokemon franchise has unlimited potential. Think of a setting, anything, literally anything you can think about you can drop Pokemon into and it'll end up working properly. From the edgiest edgelord setting to the comfiest cute girls doing cute things SoL settings. It'll work, it'll always work out somehow.

Instead all we get is the mediocre games that Gamefreak makes.

I love Pokemon, I love this franchise, but I'm tired of the games because they will never truly amount to anything and I hate Gamefreak most of all for keeping this franchise in a tight leash forever.
>>
What other people said, the concept and the world are amazing, but the existing media barely represents that
>>
>>32623271
Then play Pokemon games GF didn't make???????
>>
>>32623344
I did, but they are few and in-between, and in fact, that's what made me realize how shit GF is. Plus, what else is there besides Mystery Dungeon that's just not a one-time deal? Pretty much nothing.
>>
>>32623247
I read rare Pokemon and automatically thought legendary.

The bait boxes from Gen III's safari could be brought back. You'd have to go to a specific city or faculty to make the bait. You place it on the grass and wait for the Pokemon to appear. To add some challenge, using high quality or rarer berries attracts the Pokemon more, but it also attracts other Pokemon. You have to make them faint or capture them to prevent them from eating the bait.

There can be another Pokemon that only fights you if you have a specific Pokemon in your team, out in the front, and at a lower level than your target. Once in battle, if you switch out, the Pokemon automatically runs away. Basically, it's a juggle between keeping yours from fainting and trying to catch the other one.

If soaring returns, you have to fly after other Pokemon and catch up to them to battle. For diving, it's the same, but you have to swim after them.
>>
If I said I was willing to run a pokemon tabletop game for people on roll20 would anyone in this thread be interested? I'm thinking about it.
>>
>>32623385
I would. But tell me more about how would you run it and stuff. Also, only if it is text-only.
>>
>>32623385
Tabletop Adventures? I am kinda interested but I don't know what roll20 is.
>>
>>32623407
Site for playing tabletop games online
>>
>>32623385
Depends on the time, but I might be interested.
>>
>>32623399

Yeah, text only.

And I'm not positive I would run it yet, I'm not committing to the idea because DMing a game is definitely a big commitment. I'd rather be a player than a DM, but I know god damn well I'd never find another DM.

I'm open to either making a new region or using Kanto/Johto or Hoenn while adding some other stuff to fill in the blanks. Or, really since it isn't a video game I guess people could travel between regions if they really wanted to.

I don't have anything specific in mind, I just know the rules to PTA and PTU and I know a tabletop provides an infinitely better experience than the games. I'd use pokemon from all 7 gens, probably homebrew up some regional variants. I don't normally homebrew stuff, but since it's now been made a real canon thing that happens, why not?

Normalish setting. Not some weird grimdark, sci fi or medieval stuff. Not as childish as the games though, because all of us playing would be adults.
>>
>>32623426
>because all of us playing would be adults.
Not if your players are from nu-/vp/

You should probably make a Pokemon thread on /tg/ and see how it goes.
>>
>>32622117
Geez, lighten up and train a Pyukumuku
>>
>>32623436

It doesn't matter too much, its the internet. If someone's being an annoying faggot they can be kicked out and replaced within 24 hours.

Here's a discord link for anyone who wants to talk about possibly getting a tabletop game going.

https://discord.gg/6qJ9pK
>>
>>32623271
This is my main issue. The games in my head are better than the actual games.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.