[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not evolving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

Is there any reason not to evolve a pokemon?
Since the games allows you to do so, even giving you an item whose entire purpose is to prevent evolution, I'm curious.

Are there pokemons who have greater stat gains if unevolved or better moves?
>>
Eviolite
>>
>>32612553
Some pokemon learn moves only available to pre evo forms
See starters in gen three
>>
>>32612553
to learn some moves faster
>>
Learning moves at lower levels
>>
When the preevolution is more fuckable than the evolution. See Braixen.
>>
>>32612553
Well, for one, aesthetics.
If you like how a lower evolved form looks, it's a pain in the ass to have to deal with the evo scene and hit B every single time it levels.
>>
Also, when they have branching Evos but you haven't met the conditions for the evolution you want. Like say, you want an Umbreon, but it is still day.
>>
Eviolite Dusclops and Porygon2 are solid Trick Room users, and 2 has decent enough bulk to run tank or offense. Also certain Pokémon can only learn some moves from their first form, a la Shroomish and Spore.
>>
>>32612559
>been playing since Ruby
>had no idea pre evo starters had exclusive moves
One learns something new every day...

>>32612571
That's a pretty sound reason not to evolve.

>>32612587
What are some pokemons in which doing this is particularly beneficial?
>>
>>32612553
Like everyone else mentioned it's mostly aesthetic preference or learning moves at lower levels.

There are some pokemon whose stat distribution changes, e.g. Torracat loses a lot of speed when it evolves. Someone mentioned eviolite as well, an unevolved pokemon holding that can sometimes have higher stats than it's evolution.
>>
>>32612553
(Unless it changed in newer gens), Breloom can't learn Spore. Only Shroomish can, and it learns it way past the level at which he evolves.
>>
OP here. Some more digging around has led me to find two other advantages:
>Unevolved pokemon are more obedient if you don't have the necessary badges
>Unevolved pokemon level up faster

While I don't care about the first, are those points true?
>>
>>32612617
Munchlax learns Recycle, while Snorlax doesn't. And is a common move for the guy in doubles.
>>
>>32612617
Porygon2 has more defensive stats than Porygon-Z, even without eviolite
Dusclops, Chansey, Magneton Rhydon, Tangela, Golbat, Combusken, Gligar and Type:Null have comparable defensive stats, so with Eviolite they become bulkier than their evolution, but slightly less powerful.
Doublade gets insane physical defense with eviolite, but suffers a slight attack drop and massive SpA/SpD drops
Scyther has much higher speed than Scizor, but slightly higher Attack and Defenses, so they kind of serve different purposes.
Murkrow gets Prankster, which Honchkrow lacks.

Some of them (Porygon2, Dusclops, Chansey) gain from the increased bulk enough that they exceed their evolutions in usage, but a lot of them miss their items and lower attacking stats too much so become niche picks.
>>
>>32612654
1st one sounds completely false.

2nd one is true as of Gen 6. If a pokemon is past the level where it should evolve, then it gains x1.2 EXP.
>>
>>32612654
The first sounds like bullshit, though I haven't used enough traded Pokemon to be sure. The second is true from XY onwards; if a Pokemon could evolve but hasn't, it gets a small EXP boost. Only applies to Pokemon that evolve by level up.
>>
>>32612654
2 is true, if they're past the point of when they would evolve.
1 is no longer true as any pokemon with your Trainer and Secret Ids, any you've caught or bred will listen to you, no matter what.
>>
>>32612654
taking into account what >>32612672 said, it's not true in gens previous to whenever they added it. Every Pokemon is put into an EXP group that dictates the rate it needs to gain EXP to level. If a Shroomish and a Gulpin need the same EXP to level from 49 to 50(and therefore the same amount of time, gen 3 at least had static EXP values, gen 5 might be wonky), then a Shroomish and a Breloom will too.
>>
>>32612672
>>32612675
Sort of funny that the second is true from XY onward given that I found it in a 7 years old HGSS discussion.
>>
>>32612559
Never realized that. Sceptile not getting Energy Ball or Giga Drain is annoying. Blaziken and Marshstomp don't really care about the moves they miss, unless you are running a mixed Blaziken.
>>
>>32612654
>>Unevolved pokemon level up faster
This is true, but only became true recently. It was always stated that they "grew" faster, which used to mean learning higher-tier moves a few levels sooner. For example, Magnemite learning Zap Cannon at level 49, while Magneton/Magnezone learn it at 63
But starting in XY there is an Exp.Point multiplier for unevolved (but could be) Pokemon

There are plenty of benefits to not evolving ASAP, and Everstone just removes the annoyance of mashing B after every battle.
As for the badges, I'm pretty sure Pokemon YOU caught and trained will obey you regardless of your badge status. The badge and obedience system is just to prevent you from trading in a level 100 Mewtwo and wiping the floor with the AI.
>>
>>32612553
Everstone's purpose is so you don't have to press b every time you level up
>>
>>32612746
It also allows you to trade Pokémon such as Machoke without it evolving.
Not sure if it's still the case, but the B button used to not work on evolutions induced by trading or items.
>>
>>32612722
>The badge and obedience system is just to prevent you from trading in a level 100 Mewtwo and wiping the floor with the AI.
You can do that anyway. That level 100 Mewtwo is going to tank every attack and OHKO everything it hits no matter if it disobeys 3 out of 4 rounds.
>>
>>32612820
Yes but they also expect that little kids will get frustrated by it so they won't do it
>>
Eviolite and everstone should merge.
>>
>>32612587
Those two Pokémon have nothing to do with the Everstone.
>>
It's also got a hidden breeding effect that the game never tells you about like all fucking breeding items.

Give an ever stone to a parent pokemon breeding and the hatched pokemon will for sure have the same nature as that parent.

Also if you give it to an alolan form parent the baby will be kanto form.
>>
>>32613061
Other way around. You have to give it to a Kanto form parent when breeding to get a Kanto form child.
>>
>>32612667
This

Also there are those who just prefer the pre evo over the evo. Sure most pre evos can't match up with their evos, but it's more of a sentimental thing.
Bad example, but I like Magmar a whole lot better than Magmortor
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.