[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Here is why I love Hoenn. The whole region feels connect and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 13

Here is why I love Hoenn. The whole region feels connect and not all separated like Kalos or Alola. ORAS even removed the one gate it did have making it all fit together better.

There are also so many cool places to discover. Sure there is a lot of water, but that water leads to so many interesting things. Like the Regis, the Abandoned Ship, or Mirage Island. It's all so fun to explore. Even non side areas are great like Meteor Falls and Fortree City.

It has so many unique and distinctive locations, and so many interesting ideas around those areas like soot collecting for example. It's really such a magical place.
>>
>>32600797
Best region
>>
It's a shame that babbies were too stupid to navigate regions like Hoenn and Sinnoh so they had to dumb them down for the later games.
>>
>>32600797
>Entire map made of sprites

UNNNNN
MY DICK

Is there a bigger version anywhere? I've always wanted to see the parts of the region we don't get to visit in sprite, even if it is just forest

Also, totally agree on the magical place thing, I loved exploring Hoenn so much. So many secret things to discover, it's really a joy. It's a shame Sun and Moon were so linear and lacking in any extra places to explore.
>>
>>32600797
>ORAS even removed the one gate it did have

What are you talking about?
>>
>>32600797
You're right, OP. Hoenn felt like a very cohesive world. Alola wasn't too bad though, I just wish the routes were longer.
>>
>>32600797
Please tell me a higher res version of this pic exists.
>>
>>32600797
This pic is amazing.

Only problem is Birth Island is off the coast of Kanto.
>>
>>32600797
>and not all separated like Kalos or Alola
Kalos didn't feel all separated unlike Alola, it had subregions yes but didn't really fely separated.
>>
File: 1381186919152.png (3MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1381186919152.png
3MB, 1600x900px
>>
>>32601197
Download link?
>>
>>32600797
I never understood the water complaint. It's nothing really different from other games and you reach your destinations extremely quickly anyway, even faster in ORAS.
>but encounter rate
repels
>but pokemon diversity
about the same as other water routes
>but there's too much of it
Most of it is completely optional. If you're complaining about an optional route that you yourself traversed then frankly it's your own fault.
>>
>>32600797
While Hoenn remains my favorite region to date, I really wish GF had done more with the landmasses.

There's a huge unused chunk of land in RSE, that was only used for a Kyurem portal in ORAS

That and a massive island south of Pacifidlog Town.

Besides that, maybe having a more interconnected ocean, without barriers would have been nice in ORAS. There's no need to rail people onto one line anymore. Would have also made the improved Surfing nicer to use.
>>
>>32601230
Also, didn't Hoenn had the fastest surfing speed of all regions?
>>
>>32601604
Yes, shame SM has basically no interesting Surfing point even with the same speed.
>>
>>32600920
fpbp
Finally a thread where people have common sense and not just muh water complaints. Hoenn is amazing.
>>
File: g43gtw4et4et.png (655KB, 770x797px) Image search: [Google]
g43gtw4et4et.png
655KB, 770x797px
>reach route 119
>long as shit river experience
>it's raining a lot
>can actually hear Zigzagoon cries in the background
>make it to Fortree city
>finally get out of the undergrowth and reach route 120
>the rain has stopped
>it's an open route and the sun is shining bright
>"The adventure continues: the theme" starts to play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y71w6N8HK_Q

Hoenn was the best adventure.
>>
>>32601082
Best I could do anon, the guy who put this together posted in this resolution, message him maybe he might have the original not downgraded file in his computer
>>
>>32600797
Ranking the regions:

1. Hoenn

2. Sinnoh

3. Johto

4. Unova

5. Kanto

6. Kalos (the places were nice but the cycle was just boring)

7. Alola
>>
>>32601197
this would look better if the rocks that form the route barriers were distributed more randomly instead of in straight lines

also it looks like Slateport's beachfront is the same color as its pavement
>>
>>32600951
Nope. The guy who made it didn't make it available for download and lost the file.
>>
File: hoenn.jpg (289KB, 1000x1410px) Image search: [Google]
hoenn.jpg
289KB, 1000x1410px
>>32602254

God, that theme really is adventure incarnate.

Hoenn was the best playground a kid could ask for honestly.
>>
>>32602326
1. Sinnoh
2. Unova
3. Johto
4. Hoenn
5. Kanto
6. Kalos
7. Alola.
>>
>>32600797
The fatal flaw of Hoenn is that that the second half the game most of the Pokemon are Water-type, and it is possible to play through a large section of the game using nothing but Electric-type Pokemon.
>>
>>32602451
No? That only really happens once you set out to Mossdeep and you're not forced to encounter all these trainers.
>>
>>32601604
I think that was only in Emerald, I recall it being slower in RS
>>
>>32602451
Indeed. The game could have benefitted from Pokemon that could reasonably appear over water but not be Water type, like Flying types, or maybe even Levitating pokemon. Perhaps Gligar or even Barboach to stop Electric steamrolling
>>
>>32600920
at being the worst
>>
>>32602419
>sinnoh that high
at least alola is by the numbers phoned in garbage
>>
>>32601230
>about the same as other water routes
The water routes in other games don't take up one third of the map. Don't you feel that having ONE THIRD OF YOUR WHOLE REGION having the same fucking encounters is a problem?

>Most of it is completely optional.
You talk about it being optional but if you want to reach some of the cooler stuff in Hoenn you have to suffer through all that boring junk. It's bullshit and the fact that you're defending this is bullshit too. Also the fact is that from Lillycove on to Victory Road everything is water in the main game. One fourth of the storyline is water.

The water's a legitimate complaint, although perhaps overblown. Frankly, I thought the biggest problem with RSE was May/Brendan disppearing halfway through the game, which was thankfully fixed in ORAS. I also don't like a lot of the available mons which makes team building repetitive but I fully admit this is a taste thing and not actually a flaw.
>>
>>32602865
>your rival never fully-evolves their starter

That was bullshit.
>>
>>32600797
>ORAS even removed the one gate it did have making it all fit together better.
It literally turned Mauville into a gated shopping mall abomination because they were too lazy to make the overworld load new areas without fading to black. Hell, it even fades to black in the middle of routes.
>>
File: hgfhghg.png (664KB, 701x420px) Image search: [Google]
hgfhghg.png
664KB, 701x420px
>>32602881
>Implying that the old, boring Mauvile is better then Mall: The city.
>>
I like it the most because it's the last pokemon game that looks and feels good, I hate the 3d look after it so I've never played anything beyond gen three. Really wish I could play the later gens in 2d/sprite style like GBA pokemons were
>>
>>32602865
>Don't you feel that having ONE THIRD OF YOUR WHOLE REGION having the same fucking encounters is a problem?
Honestly, no. Most of the games have a similar problem at some point and like I said, repels exist and you don't need to force yourself to go through it all. Frankly, I think it's an overblown issue and people just want to have a memetic way to brush off the entire region.
>You talk about it being optional but if you want to reach some of the cooler stuff in Hoenn you have to suffer through all that boring junk
Uh, no. You don't. Repels exist. It happens in a lot of the games as well, especially in cave systems.
> Also the fact is that from Lillycove on to Victory Road everything is water in the main game. One fourth of the storyline is water.
And traversing this water is extremely fast, much faster than other routes because the areas you need to get to are mostly straight shots with easily avoidable trainers. I'd say it's a bit less than a fourth because you're not sailing on the water the entire time, it's bits and pieces unless you want to explore the optional areas.
>It's bullshit and the fact that you're defending this is bullshit too
Sorry for not being a baby. There's issues with Hoenn but the water isn't part of it.
>>
>>32602762
The worst at being the worst you mean
>>
How does Dexnav work for HA? The 10th dude I found had the ability but I fucked up and scared it off, did I fuck myself?
>>
>>32602326
Sinnoh would be nice if you didn't need so many fucking HMs and half the routes didn't make you walk slow as shit.
>>
File: ScreenShot_20170526072741.png (17KB, 358x257px) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot_20170526072741.png
17KB, 358x257px
>>32604722
>>
>>32602254
All Hoenn routes were so memorable and unique from one another, but 120 is my favorite just because of this theme.
>>
>>32604756
>Not having 2 dedicated HM slaves in every game
>>
>>32603892
If you need repels for one third of the game, even if half of that is optional, in order to avoid the same three pokemon you'll encounter on those routes, the designers have fucked up and you have a bad region. This isn't really comparable to a cave, we're talking about a sizable chunk of a region, of which half is mandatory, and, if you're playing ruby/sapphire and not emerald, going as slow as any given gen VII mon.
>>
>>32602426
regions: johto > hoenn > sinnoh > unova > kanto > kalos > alola
games: gen 4 > gen 3 > gen 2 > gen 5 > gen 6 > gen 1 > gen 7

i didn't play any gen 5 games but i still like unova as a region.
>>
>>32602254
Fucking yes. THIS is why Hoenn is my favorite region. This game feels like an adventure more than any other game in the series, and a lot of it has to do with the region being so varied. For example, if you look at Sinnoh and go through all the routes, most of it is the same old forests, grasslands or mountain paths, with only the marshes and snow routes being somewhat unique. In Hoenn, you start off in forest and continue on to a tropical island, beach, volcano, ashy wasteland, meteor cave, tropical jungle, ocean and even the ocean floor. After pretty much every gym you go to a place that looks completely different from the last. Makes you excited to see what's coming up next. It's true that the end is a lot of water routes, but that doesn't change how fucking amazing the rest of the region is.
>>
>>32600797
I like everything except for victory road.
>>
>>32600797
>Here is why I love Hoenn. The whole region feels connect and not all separated like Kalos or Alola
I mean it makes sense why Alola feels separated
>>
>>32600797
>The whole region feels connect and not all separated
>five cities are on islands
>>
>>32600797
What gate?
>>
>>32605597
Don't forget that when you finally encounter an island with a patch of grass you have to go spin in circles like a dumbfuck because the Repel still has 100 steps until it runs out
>>
>>32606116
Still, in Hoenn you're not limited to teleporting between the islands like in Alola.
>>
>>32602740
Placebo
>>
>>32602740
No, it was fast in all 5 gen 3 games. You're thinking of DPPt.
>>
I have a hard time choosing between Hoenn and Unova as my favorite region. I love tropical places, the sea, the sand, the wingulls. All that good stuff. And Hoenn routes really nailed the adventure aspect. Unova though, each town has its own song and notable location. The obscene amount of new pokemon (fuck Gens4/6/7 in that regard). And just feeling highly memorable overall.
>>
>>32607208
You mean DP. Platinum fixed the surfing speed among other speed issues like message scrolling in battles.
>>
>>32607236
Platinum's surf speed was improved over DP's. It however still did not match Gen 3's speed.

No part of Gen 4 matched the prior one in terms of speed.

I mean, did we forget already how absolutely abysmal scrolling through your bag was in Gen 4 (as a whole)?
>>
File: 1481769788034.png (340KB, 982x1014px) Image search: [Google]
1481769788034.png
340KB, 982x1014px
>>32602326
>>32602426
>>32605625
>>
>>32607255
>It however still did not match Gen 3's speed.
Because the Generation III games play at 60 FPS while the Generation IV games play at 30 FPS.

>I mean, did we forget already how absolutely abysmal scrolling through your bag was in Gen 4 (as a whole)?
It is fast if you use the touch screen.
>>
>>32607271
>It is fast if you use the touch screen.
Faster. Not fast though. It's also a fucking hassle having to spin the stylus around near perfectly (otherwise you may end up clicking something or scrolling in a direction you didn't want). And that's in DPPt. HgSs's bag was a whole other world of suck.

Also, why the fuck was there a Battle Items pocket? Designate a whole pocket to maybe 20 items at most, while the main Items one is overflowing with junk including those god damn plates.
>>
File: 69.png (4KB, 270x405px) Image search: [Google]
69.png
4KB, 270x405px
>>32600797
And then it added 20+ others.
>>
File: cfa9aa41.jpg (79KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
cfa9aa41.jpg
79KB, 600x600px
>>32607328
>RSE Hoenn: open world 60fps with only the slightest of hiccups when doing a route/town transition
>AsOr Hoenn: loading screens fucking everywhere even within routes/towns themselves
>>
File: 1364685807945.jpg (124KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1364685807945.jpg
124KB, 500x500px
>>32607360
>Slateport has a route gate INSIDE ITSELF
>Mauville has FOUR route gates to the outside routes plus ones inside itself
The worst part is some people will never understand why old Mauville was so great and will continue to claim Mallville was an improvement.
>>
>>32607360
>AsOr
No.
>>
File: 1495819991489.png (339KB, 982x1014px) Image search: [Google]
1495819991489.png
339KB, 982x1014px
>>32607258
There you go, fixed now.
>>
>>32607773
Sinnoh deserver better, at least it's not a straight line like Unova
>>
>>32607773
Don't make a fucking tier list if you haven't played every region
>>
>>32607372
I don't know how anybody can look at Mallville and say it's good, it doesn't even feel like a town. If they wanted to make a shopping complex where they can put all the throwaway shit like the Genie mirror or massages they could have expanded the Lilycove department store.
>>
>>32607785
Must be me then, both times i tried them, i couldn't bother to finish either even gens. Can't say if it's just the routes themselves or the fact that i didn't like what mons they had available. Not trying to start a gen war or anything.
>>32607822
More often than not, i can tell what i'm going to dislike just by looking at leaks or teasers. Being poor makes you master such a skill.
>>
I will always love this region because the Fortree City area of the game.
>>
>>32602326
> Johto
> 3
Why though

It's just a lot of caves and history sites.
>>
>>32607994
Not him but I like caves and history sites.
>>
>>32605597
>If you need repels for one third of the game, even if half of that is optional, in order to avoid the same three pokemon you'll encounter on those routes, the designers have fucked up and you have a bad region
You don't NEED repels. I'm suggesting them for you because you apparently can't tolerate trivial shit that is easily avoided.
>This isn't really comparable to a cave, we're talking about a sizable chunk of a region, of which half is mandatory
Less than half is mandatory. And of course it's comparable to a cave because you get through these sea routes faster than you do caves. Caves are littered with different routes and HM usage, they're more mazes than the seas are. And if you get lost in the sea routes then frankly you're a retard, the game gives you a map for a reason.

Look, I'm not defending the lack of variety. I'm defending the fact that it doesn't suddenly make the routes shit and that if you're that assblasted about it there are ways to avoid it. Bad game design would've forced you to encounter everything and go through everything. Instead Gamefreak gives you a way to circumvent it. I'd say that while it's not the best as simply giving more variety, it's better than what you're saying in that it's complete shit. You and I even agree that people overblow the issue.
>if you're playing ruby/sapphire and not emerald, going as slow as any given gen VII mon.
Gen 3 surfing speed is the same throughout all games, you're thinking of Diamond and Pearl relative to Platinum.
>>
>>32602326
Literally this
>>
>>32600797
ORAS has loading screens every 20 steps. It feels incredibly disjointed. Even Sootopolis has a fucking loading screens in it.
RSE was great in that regard. Aside from caves you were barely interrupted.
>>
>>32608148
I said it wasn't that big a deal you fucking dipshit, but people have to exaggerate a little to make a point on the internet as you don't have nonverbal cues
>>
>>32609152
Fair enough.
>>
>>32608148
>You don't NEED repels. I'm suggesting them for you because you apparently can't tolerate trivial shit that is easily avoided.
If your defence is "just use repels lol" then it is blatantly clear that something is horribly wrong with the encounter tables.
Look at it this way.
The encounters are all the same through regular surfing, literally nothing new and exciting to discover.
There is no level increase, all the wild pokémon from Lilycove and up to Victory Road are at the same level.
It isn't an endurance test since you can simply run away and as said they so weak that you have no initiative to fight them since they give trash exp.
Hoenn has tons of Water and Flying pokémon. Moving some of the fishing exclusive mons up to the surface would hardly be a big problem.

You might think the complaint is overblown and I would somewhat agree. But the encounter tables are bad.
>>
>>32609255
Yeah, fair enough. I can see your point.
>>
>>32607822
I put in havent been to tier so people wouldnt feel compelled to rank regions they havent played

>>32607773
Just because you hate Gen 4 doesnt mean the regions were bad
>>
>>32607258
>>32607773
Please explain what is so great about Unova's region, because I don't get it.
The region doesn't have any consistent theme throughout, it felt mostly like Kanto over again. Few landmarks that stood out, boring cities I liked the bridges though.
Absolute shit tier progression. There are barely any places you need to visit more than once or
new areas that suddenly connect to old areas.
>>
>>32610645
It's theme is being an urban, seasonal region. It has a great set of towns in my opinion, and has unique locations without being theme parks like Kalos or Alola. Not HM heavy like Hoenn and Sinnoh. Not boring like Kanto.

Also, (since you must have played BW), in BW2, you have reasons to go back to Virbank, Castelia, Iccirus, Striaton, Nimbasa, Driftveil, Anville and Black City.

It has Join Avenue.

Best Victory Road.

Best music in the franchise. Love the aesthetics with all the dull colors.
>>
>>32600981
Somebody please i really want to kown
>>
>>32610679
This
Except FUCK joint avenue
I can't bear to give a shit about dumb features the game tries so hard to force on me.
>>
>>32610714
But it's pretty much a good version of Festival Plaza
>>
>>32600981
>>32610695
nothing, since I'm pretty sure the gate they're talking about is either the one for Cycling Road or the Piers to go on the boats, which are both still there
>>
>>32600797
Yeah, ORAS removed the gate but also added plenty of black transition screens making the world feel disconnected at times.
>>
>>32607415
I don't get it.
>>
>>32607841
I think they should have just put all that garbage into the pokemon/contest fanclubs in Slateport and Lilycove.
You have all these dumb fans saying stupid shit inside of a house where nothing happens. Instead of having a dozen or so wise old chinks in a fucking shopping mall handing out trash they found on their doorstep, put them somewhere more reasonable.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.