[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Current State of Pokemon Spinoffs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: pokemon spinoffs.jpg (216KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon spinoffs.jpg
216KB, 1280x720px
>Gen 1
This was the beginning. This gen gave us Stadium, Hey You Pikachu! (meh), Dash, Pinball, Snap, and the TCG. A solid start.

>Gen 2
This gen gave us the fewest spinoffs out of any gen, with only Stadium 2 and Puzzle Challenge. Overall, a mediocre gen for spinoffs.

>Gen 3
This was when spinoffs started to really take off. We got the first Mystery Dungeon games, the first Trozei game, and the first Ranger game. There was also Dash (shit), Channel (shit), the Shadow Pokémon games, and Pinball Ruby/Sapphire. Overall, a good gen for spinoffs.
>>
>>32597481

(continued)
>Gen 4
Many fans consider this to be the golden age of Pokémon spinoffs, and for good reason. The Mystery Dungeon series blossomed tremendously as well as the Ranger series. There was also My Pokémon Ranch. While Battle Revolution was a bit meh compared to the Stadium and Shadow games, it was still better than many spinoffs in future gens. We also got the first Rumble game and the first PokéPark game during this gen. Overall, an amazing gen for spinoffs.

>Gen 5
Spinoffs were a mixed bag this gen. The third Mystery Dungeon is generally considered to be the worst in the series. Although PokéPark 2 was an improvement over the original. Pokémon Conquest was a brand new one-off game which was really fun and unique. Overall, a decent gen for spinoffs.

>Gen 6
This was when spinoffs began to decline in my opinion. Although this gen gave us a better Mystery Dungeon than in Gen 5 as well as Pokken Tournament, Pokémon's Answer to traditional fighters like SF and Tekken, there were a lot more freemium and mobile games such as Pokémon Shuffle, Rumble World, and GO. Overall, a meh gen for spinoffs with only a few standouts.

>Gen 7
It's too early to tell what this gen will give us in terms of spinoffs, but right now, the only spinoff we have gotten half a year after SM's release was another mediocre mobile game. This concerns me because of the very real possibility that instead of investing time into making high-quality spinoffs, we'll continue to get more freemium/mobileshit. Fortunately, the Mystery Dungeon series, one of the few franchises still going since its gen of debut, could continue. But overall, I really dislike the direction the Pokémon Company has been going with making dumbed down, casual spinoffs aimed for the Smart Phone audience.

What do you guys think? Is there still hope for getting quality spinoffs in the future? What's your favorite spinoff?
>>
I think we're due to a new spinoff, it will probably be something totally new, also i wouldn't consider mobile games proper spin-offs.
and you missed detective pikachu on the gen 6 spinoff list.
>>
>>32597554
To be fair, Detective Pikachu hasn't been released out of Japan.
>>
gen 5 had the worst ones
>>
>>32597598
How come?
>>
>>32597483
Explorers of X was garbage compared to X Rescue Team
>>
>>32597606
Cuz everyfing from gen 5 is shit cuz its worst gen
>>
>>32597483
Pokken is not comparable to Street Fighter or Tekken. It's in whatever genre of 3D fighters that Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm is in.
>>
>>32597961
Gen V fags say BW2 was one of the best games. I gave up at BW but I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on that. XY is less defensible.
>>
>>32597483
>What do you guys think? Is there still hope for getting quality spinoffs in the future?
Absolutely not. The Pokemon Company has sold its soul to pride and profit. They don't give a shit about making good games anymore. It's going to be all mobile shit from now; the casualization of the market is too strong to resist.
>>
>>32597974
BW2 fixed most of BW's problems, namely dex variety, postgame content, among other things (there's no salvaging Unova's painful linearity, unfortunately).

There's no saving X/Y. Even GameFreak seemed to think so as well since they bailed on that shit the first opportunity they could seeing that there's no third version.
>>
File: 71782030.jpg (9KB, 368x158px) Image search: [Google]
71782030.jpg
9KB, 368x158px
>>32597978
>>32597554
>>32597483
>HURR THIS GAME HAS MICROTRANSACTIONS SO IT'S AUTO-SHIT
I played all those games and they are pretty solid
>>
>>32598026
Microtransactions is only one flaw of many. GO is dumbed down Pokemon for dummies. It's not Pokemon.
>>
>Gen 2 spin-offs
>meh

Fuck you, Puzzle Challenge is easily one of the best spin-offs. Panel de Pon is a god tier puzzle game.
>>
>>32597483
I like 3D Pokemon ala Colosseum and Battle Revolution. My favorite is the Mystery Dungeon series but it's already hit its peak and the developers are too incompetent to keep what made it work so well while further expanding upon it to make it even better; in fact, they have a regressive attitude toward the series that is very strange outside the context of the decline of the video game industry as a whole.

I want a Pokemon fighting game that isn't casual shit. They could make a platform fighter ripoff of Melee and I would be wholly pleased.
>>
>Hopes
Switch Pokken, even if it's just a port it the arcade characters.
PMD late in gen 7's life or into gen 8. I want quality from that series. They can churn out all the shit mobile games they want if it helps them fund it.
>Interests
Switch Snap
Detective pikachu localization
>Never ever tier want
New Orre game
>>
>>32598026
I played all of those games too, and they suck. Shuffle, Picross, Rumble World, etc. all SCREAMS "Give us money!!", and GO is boring as fucking hell after a few days of playing. Literally the only DECENT games we've gotten since Gen 5 were Super Mystery Dungeon and Pokken. Everything else has been pure shit. And even then, SMD and Pokken aren't even that good.
>>
>>32598117
>everything sucks
You must be fun at parties.
>>
>>32598117
>Shuffle, Picross, Rumble World, etc. all SCREAMS "Give us money!!"
No they don't
>>
>>32597481
>Gen 1
>Dash

What.
>>
>>32597968
Fighting game fans are the worst

>muh genre purity

Probably would fucking lose it if I mentioned smash bros
>>
>>32597481
Nobody cares spin off, fuck off
>>
>>32598026
I say they're not proper spinoff because most of them feel like ''it's this other game just with a pokemon skin slapped into it'', it's like playing monopoly with pokemon figures and the buildings are pokemon related buildings, would you call that a spin off?
also pokemon go it barely feels like a game
>>
Let's list all gen6 spinoffs, since OP missed a few:
Pokémon Link: Battle
Pokémon Art Academy
The Band of Thieves & 1000 Pokémon (NOEXPORT)
Pokémon Shuffle (F2P)
Pokémon Rumble World (F2P)
Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
Pokémon Picross (F2P)
Detective Pikachu ~ Birth of a New Duo~ (NOEXPORT)
Pokkén Tournament
Pokémon Duel (MOBILE, F2P)
Pokémon GO (MOBILE, F2P)

Pokémon Picross is actually passable if you're into picross, and can deal with the cooldowns, simply because picross is a solid puzzle timewaster in itself.

The most shocking thing, however, is that a whopping 45% is F2P, 40% of which for mobile phones only.
Two games even got no export, and nobody really cares about Link or Art Academy, leaving us at a measily 18% of actually worthwhile spinoffs.

We're off to a great start with gen7 already. Are you ready for the year of mobileshit?

I'm actually pretty happy with Magikarp Jump, since it feels a lot like tamagotchi, and I personally enjoy that stuff. The game doesn't cockblock you if you don't pay.
>>
>>32599460
Are you so dumb that you literally cannot tell the difference between Virtua Fighter, King of Fighters, and Pokken?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.