[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honest opinion on my starter designs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 7

File: 3 Starters.jpg (229KB, 1369x769px) Image search: [Google]
3 Starters.jpg
229KB, 1369x769px
Honest opinion on my starter designs?
>>
Garbage.
>>
trash
>>
>>32596268
some constructive criticism would be great
>>
>>32596266
>a pineapple
>snek
>an autistic snail
disgusting
>>
>>32596260
I like em
But what's the grass one based off?
>>
>masked bulbasaur
>snakemander
>pipbro
>>
i like the snake, with the fire tounge
>>
Grass & Water are cute and original looking but Fire looks generic, it's just a snake charmander.
>>
File: Starter Pokemon copy.jpg (1MB, 3472x2464px) Image search: [Google]
Starter Pokemon copy.jpg
1MB, 3472x2464px
>>32596287
It has a mushroom on its back... otherwise, nothing in particular
>>
>>32596266
>>32596268
>>32596288
based pokemon clover devs.
>>
Can Squirtle come out of its shell, like a Koopa from the Mario series?
>>
It's just a snake, OP. Can you try do some more with it?
I don't think you can save the water starter. It's going to need a complete rework if you want to keep the same core concept for it.
>>
I like them, though my complaint would be you don't seem to have a "balance" one. It seems like you have two tanky and one offensive. That's not an issue with each individually though
>>
>>32596279
I like the water and grass guys but the fire one looks pretty plain. Are you using these for a fangame?
>>
>>32596315
Also just realised the grass starter is just a bulbasaur with a mushroom on its back. Might want to scrap that and try for something a bit more original.
>>
>>32596338
Do you think making it biped would help?
>>
>>32596307
Are you going to cry in every thread that has somebody shitting on a fakemon?
>>
>>32596307
>anyone who criticises your shitty fakes is a mean cloverfag bully
pls
>>
>>32596361
>defending the crappy abominations
pls
>>
>>32596345
I think you should scrap the fire snake completely. For the grass starter you should incorporate bouncing into its design. The shaggy moss is a really cool design that should stay.

Just try out different body types. I would've suggested making the grass starter a bouncy mushroom snake but Snivy's already a snake so you might not wanna do that.
>>
Thanks for the critique. I'm going for an old-school vibe, so I'm aware it's plain. I felt like having it be a "springy" snake gave it enough personality to make up for the fairly plain design. But maybe I'll re-work it. Suggestions are welcome.

As for the water starter, this is the one I'm least happy with myself. I have a clearer idea for it's evolution so I wanted it to fit with that
>>
>>32596352
no and fuck off.
>>
>>32596260
>>32596306
ignore these other fags op these are good as fuck
very gen 1 esq
would love to make a fakedex with you i have all the right ideas
>>
>>32596260
I like them personally, but the fire one is literally my mom's snake.
>>
>>32596325
No plans for a fan game, just wanted to design some Pokemon for fun
>>
>>32596260
Please make a Fakedex with me for my game. It's already done it just needs fakemon to fill in the placeholders. shit is cash bro
>>
>>32596385
wow rude
>>
Not bad. I'd use them.

Do you have 2nd/3rd stage evolutions designed?
>>
>>32596376
Neither "bouncy snake" nor "fire snake" are very original designs. Combining the two concepts isn't going to make it any less boring unless you can make the concepts coincide somehow.
>>
>>32596388
Thanks a lot! I'm really trying to go for the gen 1 feel here so I appreciate your comment. I've got roughly 100 design ideas that I'd love to bounce off of someone like-minded
>>
>>32596260
dont like the fire snake, looks like charizard head on snake body, do like the concept. other two are fine tho.
>>
>>32596414
I have pretty clear designs in my head for their evolutions. In particular, the water starter's evo. But I only have very rough sketches for each. Will post some more over the next few days.
>>
>>32596424
So you want honest opinions, but only from like-minded people?

Do you want to improve on your designs or do you just want to be complimented? Because you'd be better off sharing your work on Reddit.

I'm not even trying to be mean. I've given constructive criticism on why the snake is a bad design but you keep ignoring me.
>>
>>32596424
whats ur email bro
>>
>>32596459
[email protected]
>>
>>32596260
I like the water and grass but the fire type is literally my mom's snake.
>>
>>32596451
That's cool. Your opinion is totally valid to me. Give some ideas on how I can improve it if you want, and I'll see what I can do.
>>
Snake is great but feels too much like charizard, dick about with the color scheme a bit and it'll be fantastic. Maybe add one small additional detail, I know you're going for a gen 1 look but too simple can be a bad thing. Still the best of the bunch.
Snail seems fun enough, but something is just off with it. I really don't know what it is, though. Just a bit meh, concept is cool but design could use some work. Depending on the direction the evos go in, maybe emphasize its hermit crab, snail, or starfish characteristics. The eyes are also kind of off. Again, I don't know what I mean exactly.
As much as I like the idea of the mushroom growing as the shroom (also, explain spore type >>32596306
), the base one you start out with looks more like a hill than a mushroom. Make it a bit taller so you can see where the cap ends. As far as bulbasaur comparisons go, yeah, it feels like a retread, but you can fix that. Maybe make the head different while keeping the mask theme, or change up the legs, or give it a tail, or do two or three of those things. But in its current state, it feels too much like bulbasaur.
>>
>>32596260
the water one have a good design and well balance betwen cute and cool

the grass is ugly, and its concept basically a copy of bulbasaur

the snake is just a snake, need more work in its design
>>
>>32596260
Who'll be the waifu?
>>
>>32596509
Cheers!
Spore type is literally Mushroom type. I know it's not logical to keep adding types but I just like the idea. Strengths/weakness suggestions are welcome.

Going to bed now, but if you're sticking around over the next few days I'll be posting more designs, maybe starter evos. Happy to redesign some shit too. The feedback has been good.

cheers guys
>>
>>32596593
None. I hate waifumons, Also no overly "cool" mons like Blaziken or Greninja
>>
>>32596617
not waifu, not overly cool, not bara ????
>>
>>32596260
>bootleg Ivysaur
>Charmander if it was a snake
>what in fuck's name is that supposed to be?
At least the mask on the grass one looks kinda decent. .5/10
>>
Water one is cool.
Grass needs work... could be cool if the design was more identifiable.
Snek is just bad.

I feel like with a lot of starters, the design needs to be identifiable to a real thing, but still be different enough to be unique... or it could just be awesomely creative.
>>
>>32596416
Make the fire snake a tar-spitting tarwinder and add some black markings on it.
>>
>>32596260
The snake looks cool. The other 2 don't look good
>>
>>32596260
The grass one looks like its having sex with the ground
>>
File: 1426556073275.gif (278KB, 616x398px) Image search: [Google]
1426556073275.gif
278KB, 616x398px
>>32596306
>Type: Grass/Spore
>>
>>32596306

grass starter is fuckin kino
>>
the snail should be water/rock and have a final evo that's water/poison like toxic sea snails
>>
>>32596260
Grass: I think your biggest problem here is that you're using a starter to introduce a new type (Spore). Note that this isn't a problem of adding the new type (its your fandex, after all), its the problem of others not understanding the inspiration for the starter right away. Design-wise, I would recommend less 'spikes' and a generally simpler design that focuses more on the mushroom aspect of this Pokemon.

Fire: While I like the primary concept for this starter (spring snake), I feel like it's missing something in terms of the design- something relating the Fire element other than the color red (think Charmander's tail, Cyndaquil's back, ect.). The dex entry should also reflect parts of its fiery nature- perhaps it's fangs or tongue generate heat or flames? Otherwise I think this design is very good.

Water: Easily my favorite of the three. I think your concept here is relatively basic and cute, but the mon itself seems very expressive. Design-wise, I would like to see some more details on the shell and maybe a more visible 'tail' showing where the body connects to the shell.

Side-note: The Gen I Sugimori water coloring is a nice touch, but is a little outdated and tends to be a cliche when making fakemon. If you make the colors stand out (like in your concept art) you get a RSE-esque design that looks neither too outdated nor too modern.
>>
>>32596260
>diglett on a pineapple
>red ekans
>diet slowbro
>>
>>32596260
I'm going to be honest. It's not the worse.

All 3 of them interest me. More than gen 5 and 6 starters.
>>
>>32596306
Grass is cool
Rework Snake so that it's not Charmander/Charizard color scheme
Water is cool, I'd say keep it blue but give it the yellowish shell.

Don't like this overworld snake on arm thing unless all pokemon appear in the overworld.
>>
>>32596260
Really bland and simplistic, even for gen 1 standards. Also they feel like knockoffs of charmander, squirtle, and bulbasaur.

>grass type has same exact body shape as bulbasaur
>fire reptile
>water type with big shell
>>
>>32597887
I mean he's obviously using gen 1 as inspiration there m8.
>>
Why does tumblr keep coming to /vp/ to share their shitty art? The drawthread is now 90% transtrending tumblrite artists. Man I miss the old days when this board was dominated by ciswhite males.
>>
>>32597890
Thanks, captain Arceus. I really needed that pointed out to me.
>>
>>32596306
Grass one is pretty neat with the growth of the mushroom. Creative use of the mushroom. Though, the design could be less like Bulbasaur and Chikorita and less complex.

Fire is literally your mom's snake, give it details to make it more like an actual pokemon.

Water seems to be alright, I like the purple/yellow scheme gives a nice contrast against to rest of the starters.
>>
>>32596306
Here's how I imagine evolutions for this:

Grass is too standard, we already have Venusaur and Torterra that are quadrupeds with something on their backs.

Snake that bounces will eventually turn into a flying snake.

Molusk will eventually get a bigger shell.

So the main designs are neat but I can't think of an original evo for them.
>>
File: 1489976174209.jpg (7KB, 256x250px) Image search: [Google]
1489976174209.jpg
7KB, 256x250px
>>32596260
I really like them, they're nice and simplistic like what pokemon used to be, all the new mons are shit and overdesigned.
>inb4 g-genwunner!!

Gen 1/2 shared the same style and were good. Other gens were a mistake
>>
>>32596260
1. The fire snake is boring
2. The grass type is ugly
3. The water is great design among them. I like your water starter :D
>>
>>32596306
I really like the concept of the snake. But i agree with that anon who said you should put some slight details related to fire.
I mean, i see the flame-shaped tongue, but we need more, this way it really looks like a normale snake.

I like the grass starter idea, i think i'd choose it,

But I'm sorry, but i really don't like the water one, it's too cute and it's body shape isn't coherent in the different images. You should work more on it. Make its eyes smaller too.
>>
>>32596260
The snake is literally my mom's boring snake but the pineapple and snail look really neat and quirky.
>>
>>32596260
Make snake more like a torch
>>
>>32596306
Tell me more about Spore-type.
>>
>>32596260

I'd have to see the evos, because the snake may look plain now, but it could also become awesome later. The other two look like they have potential, just be careful so they don't "just get bigger". Because that might be an issue later on.
>>
>>32596260

10/10 absolutely fuckin saved.
>>
>>32596306
Grass type is the best one. That mushroom gimmick is pretty cool. Only concern is that spore type sounds kinda retarded.

I like the spring gimmick for the fire type, but I think the design is a little plain otherwise.

Water is... okay, but I feel like it's missing something. Maybe have a less human face?
>>
>>32596376

The concept of the springy snake is cool. I personally don't mind the simplicity of the design as that can be fixed in latter evolutions. What would be really cool is if it became a Fire/Dragon basilisk type of thing, maybe with Own Tempo to fit thematically and synergize with Outrage spam. Just my two cents, I doubt GF would ever make a starter half Dragon though.
>>
>>32599095
Serperior was the perfect opportunity to make a dragon starter. Draco Meteor Serperior when?
>>
>>32596260
Water and grass starters are pretty good actually. Not a big fan of the fire one
>>
>>32598898
Basically Mushroom/Fungus type

Would be super effective against Fairy and Psychic, weak to Bug and Ice

Probably would make sense to be super effective to Grass too since fungus kills trees.
I don't know really, these are the type matchups that make sense, but they don't help balance the types.

Paras, Shroomish, Foongus and Morelull would be re-typed. Also Shuckle = Spore/Rock.

Thinking of new Pokemon like psychedelic mushrooms, fairy rings and giant truffle monsters
>>
>>32596260
these are great but yeah the snake could use more personality
>>
>>32596260
What were the plans for an evolution with the snake? I like the other two, but the snake does need something more to it. Otherwise it's just a snek.
>>
>>32596260
Don't listen to most of these fags on here. They look better than most fakes, everyone here is just mad they can't make anything like this. They look good OP gj!
>>
>>32599142
Make Spore type more of a Mushroom/Fungus/Parasite type maybe, perhaps also adding a fire weakness but I can see that you don't want it to be too similar to Grass
>>
I like them, I could choose any of the 3 though I'm leaning toward water. I hope you have evo concepts you can post OP.
Agree with what others said about snake being too plain. Maybe give it a hood like a cobra or something?
>>
>>32596260
Better than gen 7
>>
>>32596279
they suck
>>
File: 41c.png (55KB, 449x1197px) Image search: [Google]
41c.png
55KB, 449x1197px
I love how everyone shit-talks these models but gulp any piece of shit of a design Nintendo shits up and aggressively attack those who dare to criticize them.
>>
>>32599802
You have got it wrong, every Pokemon or Fakemon design is a piece of shit except for their fave
>>
>>32596260
The fire starter is ok, but the grass starter is just terrible and the water starter looks more like something I'd see in a humongous entertainment game.
>>
>>32596307
this desu
>>
I like all three, especially the fire snake. Would love to see their evolutions.
>>
>>32599839
>Grass starter is just terrible

Wow, look at this shit taste.
>>
File: feature length.png (328KB, 510x625px) Image search: [Google]
feature length.png
328KB, 510x625px
>>32596306
Dick Arms.
>>
>>32600312
Stay tuned!
>>
That's just a snake, but then again we have had just a snake before so I guess it's fine. The water thing is uhh...unique? Dosent really look like a pokemon. And the grass one is fine, I'd probably pick that one as my starter
>>
>>32596306
I think snek should be different colours otherwise it's too similar to Charmander, I like the description though. Grass one is almost the same as Bulbasaur and >spore type. I rarely use the water starter but if this had cool evolutions I would consider it.

All in all: wouldprobablyuse/10, you've put time into these so that is cool.
>>
>>32596260
>>32596306
Grass one needs to look more like a real animal

>inb4 Chikorita
Chikorita is clearly the exception and not the rule
>>
>>32600463
new nintendo switch DLC
>>
>>32596306
I really like the idea of a mushroom grass starter, and your desing here isn't bad. He's a bit messy, maybe, but I like his face. The Spore typing though is completely unnecessary. Mushrooms have always been grouped in with the grass type, as shown by the Paras, Shroomish, Foongus, and Morelull lines. It would be like adding a Magnet type to split up a few Steels. It's not worth it.

The fire snake is very simple, but that's not really a bad thing. His concept is actually really clever. My only suggestion would be that rather than make his tongue flame shaped, you make him actually spit fire as if it was his tongue instead. That way you get an immediate indication that, yes, this is a fire type. Other than that, I like him.

The water type I'm not as sold on. I like the concept of a mollusc mon, but something about him just kinda bugs me. I like the shape of his head, so I guess I just find his body kind of formless. I think it's the legs. I actually like the picture of him half hanging out of his shell on the bottom row the best.

All in all, these are a decent set of starters, but some polish is still needed. Your coloring definitely invokes that early gen style, which appeals to me. If you have any drawings of their later evolutions, I'd be really interested in seeing them. My opinions could very well change based on what they turn into.
>>
>>32602840
Oh, one thing I meant to mention. I LIKE that the grass starter doesn't look like an animal. We could use one that's just a straight up plant monster. It's not like it's unheard of, a lot of grass types are walking shrubs. It'd be a good way to make him stand out more.
>>
they remind me of original pokemon designs and that's good
>>
>>32596279
Build a box and put your computer in it, then bury the box and fill the hole with concrete.
>>
>>32596279
They're too derivative.
Try to do something more unique.
>>
>>32596260
This is good dude. I wouldn't pick the water-type ever though.
>>
>>32596260
Love 'em, better than some of the real starters.

You should make more Pokemon!
>>
>>32596306
OP these are genuinely great designs, keep at it. The negative opinions here are from trolls with no talent of their own. Really nice work
>>
>>32596260
fire snek is acceptable and snail has potential
>>
How did you make them look just like the old art?
>>
>>32596260
>Grass pupitar with legs and a fucking pineapple
>literally a fucking snake
>???
>>
>>32596307
kek
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.