[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sprites or models

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 27

File: 1463918773658.png (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1463918773658.png
14KB, 300x300px
What do you prefer, sprites or models?
For me, sprites are way better. The 3ds hardware is shit, and so the models look like shit too.
Plus, the models look bland.
Look at the picture, the sprites make Nidoqueen seem intimidating, while the model is meh.
Do you think that if we ever get a game on the switch, the models will be better?
>>
3D models are much better, they are sharp in quality regardless of the 3DS's hardware, ripped static models don't do them justice

Plus the actual attack animations are much more interesting than watching a sprite bounce around
>>
>>32586789
The problem with the models is that everything's so desaturated, and they don't play idle animations nearly often enough, so everything just stands there waiting to be hit.

If they made Pokemon actually DO something between turns, and brightened everything up, I think they'd look a lot better.
>>
>>32586794
>Plus the actual attack animations are much more interesting than watching a sprite bounce around
Except the animations where all they do is hop on the spot.
>>
>>32586789
>nidoqueen
>>
The 3d model of Feraligatr has tits and I will never forgive them for that
>>
Overall I prefer models, but I think that they could have done a lot better with them. Nidoking there is a good example, if the colors were more bold and he looked a little bit spikier and more menacing like the sprites, the model would be fine, but as it is now it's lacking.
>>
>>32586789
HG/SS sprites were godly
>>
Sprites are literally always better. Even the ones that people cherrypick all the time still have more charm to them than the 3D models which look super washed out and lazy.
>>
>>32586789
The problem is not in models. It is on animations. Many old pokemon dont have any iddle animations. And huge ammount of pokemon from 1-5gen has boring poses and lifeless attack animations.
>>
>>32586789
It goes both ways. Some pokemon translated to models way better than others. As one of my favorite pokemon, I hate Nidoking's model but it's not really that bad. Some pokemon, namely flying pokemon, got shafted pretty hard.
In general I think sprites had more charm but models were a necessary progression for the series. The one ultimatum is that they have to update models as they go. Some are in really bad shape, and their recent refusal to make changes to models and animations has me worried that they're just gonna leave them like this.
>>
>>32587515
This is my biggest concern. After XY I was sure ORAS would fix some of the models up, or at least the Gen 3 ones. They didn't edit a single model that I know of.
Then SM changed the trainer models (no longer chibi) but again, didn't change a single previously existing model. Now whatever our next game is probably won't either, so if a Pokemon you like has a shitty model... that's it. Forever.
I'd love to see model comparisons between Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Revolution and XY/ORAS/SM if anyone has that.
>>
>>32586819
For some reason Feraligatr never seems to get a decent model. It always seems weirdly proportioned, with a huge waist and awkward jaw. Whenever they portray it in the amine and on trading cards it looks fine, but as a 3D model it's never quite right. maybe it's just one of those things that don't work well in three dimensions.

nevertheless, it animates really stiffly in the newer games- somewhat true for all Pokémon. Would be nice if they were more lively like the older games.
>>
File: GlameowEars.png (480KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
GlameowEars.png
480KB, 800x480px
>>32587565
>didn't change a single previously existing model
I have bad news
>>
>>32587582
That's a male and a female you fucking moron
>>
>>32587582

Shit, well there goes at least one. Why just Glameow, though? It didn't even look bad.
>>
>>32587596
Now that I'm looking through it, the SM models are even lighter and even more washed out than the XY ones.
>>
>>32586789
Models are better. They can tweak animations or proportions. "I like these sprites better" =/= "sprites are inherently better than models."
>>
Remember how there were like, 3 or 4 sets of sprites per gen? When they put effort into their game releases?

Now they can't even touch up some of the shitty models for ORAS, when 90% of the game was recycled or stolen from other games
>>
>>32587633
>They can tweak animations or proportions.
We're talking about Gamefreak here. They won't fucking tweak anything.
>>
imo they were making steady progress in 2D sprite animation in the pokemon series, now with the switch to 3d, i feel like they have to start a new set of skills and the quality will drop back to 0 until they practice enough to get back to the level they already had with 2D, which took like 2 decades.
>>
File: Poochyena 3D models.png (151KB, 613x350px) Image search: [Google]
Poochyena 3D models.png
151KB, 613x350px
>>32587565
Here's one for Poochyena, but they're model rips instead of what's actually seen in-game.
>>
>>32587586
Pokemon models since gen 6 haven't had minor gender differences you double fucking moron
>>
>>32586955
Not as godly as og gsc sprites my nibb
>>
sprites. they're cute, colourful and have more personality.
>>
>>32586789
Models would be fine if Gamfreak didn't make them so ugly.
>>
Models are infinitely better, the problem is the amount of animations and their frequency.
>>
Models are objectively better, but it's the lack of animations and personality that make them bland. Old models had much more uniqueness compared to the ones we have now.

>Jynx disappearing when fainting
>Vileplume's flower twitching when fainting
>Victreebel flexing it's leaves like muscles

Simple stuff like that made them much more memorable. Now they just kinda stand around and blink
>>
>>32588844
yeah the pokemon stadium models really added character to the pokemon. the sprites for the handheld games don't come close.

this is the problem with having so many pokemon now, and they'll keep adding more. it'll just get worse.
>>
I like sprites more, but models are still cool, some just need to be fixed.
>>
File: dragonshimmy.gif (367KB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
dragonshimmy.gif
367KB, 500x341px
cute
>>
Models have the potential to be better, but have yet to reach that potential.
>>
Sprites. They had way more charm and personality, and the models are so bland and desaturated. We also used to have really fun sprite threads. :(
>>
>>32588844
jynx is great. in stadium when you'd call her back and her wig would stay behind and drop to the floor made me laugh every time
>>
>>32588536

Yes they have you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>32588844
PBR models had a lot of personality especially when mons fainted. My favorite one is Honchkrow's fainting animation
>>
>>32588917
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApPJACXCdoM
>>
Depends on the pokemon. Nidoking, and feraligatr, as >>32586819 says,, look worse as models. I'd say in general, models are better, but their default poses and animations are worse.

>>32586796
>>32586952
>>32586994
>>32588906
It's not that the models are desaturated and washed out, it's that sprites were extra saturated and vibrant. The colors on the models matches the official art better.
>>
>>32588883
3 releases since models introduced and I don't think I can accept more than 1 more without having animations like Stadium.
>>
File: mrmimesdm.gif (1MB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
mrmimesdm.gif
1MB, 500x325px
>>32589273
i know. it's fucking depressing.
>>
>>
>>32589754
>>
File: f38.gif (2MB, 636x474px) Image search: [Google]
f38.gif
2MB, 636x474px
>>
File: 500.gif (378KB, 500x228px) Image search: [Google]
500.gif
378KB, 500x228px
>>
File: giphy.gif (456KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
456KB, 500x269px
>>
File: 1463975258100.gif (2MB, 389x292px) Image search: [Google]
1463975258100.gif
2MB, 389x292px
>>
File: Growlithe compare.png (256KB, 516x285px) Image search: [Google]
Growlithe compare.png
256KB, 516x285px
>>32588461
Growlithe actually got updated textures in Battle Revolution, but still uses the same model.
I doubt the new models will be going anywhere, since HAL/Genius Sonority constantly reused Stadium and Colosseum's models even on the Wii, so GF decided to make X and Y's models very high poly so it wouldn't look as dated on a new system.
>>
File: mewlapras.gif (2MB, 400x228px) Image search: [Google]
mewlapras.gif
2MB, 400x228px
>>
File: weezingdewgong.gif (2MB, 400x212px) Image search: [Google]
weezingdewgong.gif
2MB, 400x212px
>>
>>32589810
>bred on the left
>injected on the right
>>
>>32587586
GLameow doesn't have any differences though.
>>
File: 1407624092367.gif (36KB, 286x268px) Image search: [Google]
1407624092367.gif
36KB, 286x268px
>>32586789
Models are objectively better than sprites in every regard.

Even models that are wonky are infinitely better than the best sprites because they allow for real animation and expressivity. Amie would not be possible with sprites, we'd have dumbed down generic shit like HGSS following Pokemon at best.

We should have had models by gen 4 but DS era Game Freak was lazy as shit. I'm glad they finally got over that hump so we can start making progress.

t. played since Red and Blue
>>
File: Jigglypuff comparison ingame.png (75KB, 288x157px) Image search: [Google]
Jigglypuff comparison ingame.png
75KB, 288x157px
>>32588461
>>32589810
And here's a comparison to something shown in-game instead. Overall, I feel like the new models look a lot nicer than the old ones, even on a 240p screen like the 3DS, but the animations are lacking for the most part in battles. However, some Pokemon do new things in their idle animations that they didn't do in the other games. For example, Jigglypuff would sometimes inflate herself in between her normal standing pose, while Poochyena would shake off his wounds. Amie also helps give the Pokemon even more personality.
>>
>>32586789
Models if they actually had battle poses than being stock bipedal/quadrupedal/standing poses
>>
The only Pokemon game with good sprite work is Crystal for its hardware and even then the overworld could look way better as shown by games like Mario Tennis and Medarot 5 and even Crystal itself with the PCC, Battle Tower, and Dragon's Den having much more detailed and unique tilesets than the ones carried from GS, the Gen VI and VII models shit all over them in pretty much every department except color choices on several

If you count the old console games only PBR and the Hoenn Pokemon in the Orre games look good, Stadium 2 looks nice as a N64 game but nearly every N64 game look like outright shit anyways
>>
Wasn't someone fixing models so they weren't washed out? Anyone know anything about that?
>>
>>32588461
Why were the Gamecube models so hideous? The N64 ones looked good for their time, and the Gen IV models in PBR are very well made. What went wrong?
>>
>>32586794
This
>>
File: Clipboard 01.png (124KB, 640x240px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard 01.png
124KB, 640x240px
>>32590399
They probably got bored and gave up.
>>
>>32586794
Not to mention that they're so much more practical. The amount of time that it takes to make a model is huge, but once you do, you have a permanent base off of which to make more and more improvements, as opposed to making 900+ sprites from scratch each generation.
>>
>>32590399
>>32590552
The models aren't washed out though, they match the official art.

The sprites were just incorrectly vibrant.
>>
>>32588536
Yes they have you triple fucking moron
>>
>>32590624

No. The models are washed out and desaturated. Chill your fucking autism/gamefreak worship.
>>
>>32589245
>The colors on the models matches the official art better

Maybe, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.
>>
File: pokemon sprite model colors.png (168KB, 795x390px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon sprite model colors.png
168KB, 795x390px
>>32590828
How does it feel to be wrong?

>>32590856
Then that's an issue with the official colors, not the models, isn't it?
>>
>>32590856

This.

Makes no sense to have everything else be so vibrant while the Pokemon themselves are so dull. See: Amie background vs basically every Pokemon.
Either everything should be toned down, or Gamefreak needs to balance their colors a little better. Also really disliking the plant textures they use on Vileplume, Parasect, etc.
>>
>>32590885
The difference with this is dynamic shading. See the Shading on Nidoking and Golem's art vs the model. There's not enough contrast. That's the issue.
>>
>>32590885

How am I wrong? Sprites look even better directly compared to models side by side like that. RIP
>>
File: .png (68KB, 1006x448px) Image search: [Google]
.png
68KB, 1006x448px
>the Pikachu-colored Pichu isn't Pikachu-colored any more, because they totally fucked up the colors
>>
File: Putera_panel_v03.png (40KB, 292x260px) Image search: [Google]
Putera_panel_v03.png
40KB, 292x260px
I prefer sprites always (particularly gen 4, before things got stupid), but Pokemon GO made me like the models a bit more. The 3DS models are high-poly as fuck, so they translated well to an "HD" game paired with higher-res textures.

But the models still lose to sprites due to some Pokemon's proportions being fucked up and the sin they committed against flying-types when they made them all constantly flapping/gliding. We don't even have fucking sky battles anymore, so PLEASE put Xatu back on the ground. For fuck's sake.
>>
File: PokemonBattleRevolution.gif (3MB, 320x178px) Image search: [Google]
PokemonBattleRevolution.gif
3MB, 320x178px
Why did they stop having your Pokemon run across the field for Physical attacks?

I know the fields are much smaller in the 3DS games due to hardware limitations, but honestly, it's stuff like this that makes them seem soulless and stiff.

Gamefreak probably has millions of dollars they could spend on animators to just give all their new models a set of animations and just get it done.

Just think if each Pokemon had a set of these animations:
-run forward
-turn left and right
-2 physical attacks
-2 special attacks
-fainting
-being released from a pokeball
-2 idle animations

That's a total of about 11 animations per pokemon, and with something like 830 unique pokemon models, that would be 9130 animations in total.
If you pay an animator $20.00/hour, and each animation takes lets say 10 hours to make, that's about $1.8 million to create a complete set of animations for all Pokemon. Might seem like a lot, but Gamefreak no doubt has the budget with the amount of money they must be making on everything Pokemon related (not to mention most of the animations I mentioned are already finished).

Pretty much any other AAA videogame development team does this many animations, and even more depending on the budget and if it's needed. Hell, I bet if they were lazy they could even mocap the majority of the animations for 'mons that are humanoid. If they created these animations sets they could then use them for whatever the hell they wanted in future games. Even a Mystery Dungeon game (with the walking animations), or some other spinoff game with pokemon moving around.
>>
>>32590916
But we weren't disscussing if they look better or worse, we were disscusing if they were desaturated or not, and they aren't.

The Sugimori art is the official version of what thye look like. The models match that. It's not that the models are desatured, it's that the sprites are oversaturated
>>
>>32586789
>The 3ds hardware is shit
This is not a fucking excuse. The Kirby games manage to look beautiful despite the hardware limitations. Even Yokai Watch and Dragon Quest look better on the 3ds.
>>
>>32589810
I can accept the current models if they give them better textures and MUCH better animations.
>>
>>32591269
>If you pay an animator $20.00/hour
>>
>>32586789
Sprites, but I'm a stickler.
>>
>>32588844
>>32588971
The problem with the models isn't actually the models, the models themselves are actually pretty high quality, the problem is they are animated like shit. Stadium and Revolution show what pokemon models could be doing, the problem is that the pokemon games don't. We get fucking stiff-assed hopping in place, sitting/laying pokemon pivoting in place, and the fucking hang-gliders. It's a fucking embarrassment that pokemon gets away with.
>>
>>32591269
Well, they can copypasta the animations for the gen 1-4 mons from pbr and I don't think anyone would complain.
>>
>>32591791
Fucking this. Yokai doesn't even have the backing Pokemon does, that difference is entirely effort.
>>
File: To scale.jpg (39KB, 500x240px) Image search: [Google]
To scale.jpg
39KB, 500x240px
While we're at it, fix the sizing. I want this again.
>>
>>32591269

>Why did they stop having your Pokemon run across the field for Physical attacks?

Because it would make battles really slow perhaps?

I just want the scaling to be fixed. I want Joltik to be tiny, I want Wailord to be stupid large. Most of the time it's not that bad and certainly better than in the sprites, but the massive Pokemon appear way too small.
>>
>>32589769
That's too extra I'm glad they didn't keep this, I don't expect the Abra line to be that agile
>>
I really like the models actually. Thit doesn't mean i didn't like the sprites.

I really like the sprites too, i'd like to see a game with all the new Mons from Gens 6 and 7 sprites, but i have to say i feel really pleased to play with moving models.

Some of them need to be fixed, yes, but i think they work quite well. i like the fact that they still have outlines, it makes them not looking too cgi.

One thing I really wish they remove, is the trainer model during the battles. Their sizes make the Pokémon look weird and way too small/big. It's not only Wailord.
>>
File: 1477168007480.png (152KB, 286x369px) Image search: [Google]
1477168007480.png
152KB, 286x369px
>there are people posting in this thread right now who don't know 2D > 3D
>>
>>32589797
I miss this. I loved fact all this line spin when attacking. Now its only gloom..
>>
>>32591269
They don't even have to get those animations. All moves just need to MOVE model That's all.
>>
>>32590885
Except those models still look duller than their respective artworks.
>>
>>32592307
Do you want 3fps? I'd like that too, but it's not happening on the 3DS with these models.
>>
>>32587586
Glameow doesn't have gender differences though
>>
>>32592710
That's not how 3d modeling work
Changing the scale of a model won't affect the framerate at all. What affect it is the number of polygon that are on screen, that's why models like Volcanion makes the game laggy as fuck, while low poly model won't do that much
>>
Op here.
Does anyone have picture with darkrak's sprite and model?
I think he suffered a lot with the transition to 3d.
>>
>>32592735
>>32592301
>>32591269
>>32591039

>spritefags are Sinnohkids

Explains a lot, really.
>>
>>32587575
The big problem I have its not opening jaw.
>>
Sprites haven't been dynamic or had any personality since gen 2 anyway so I'm fine with the models we have
>>
>>32586789
sprites looked better, all they needed to do was add attack animations
black and white had it right, a bit pixelated from the back but damn were they a good balance
the 3d models are garbage
they have no life in them, and we're going to be seeing them from here on out, no more different art between the generations as well as pokemon like swampert, miltank, haxxorus, plus many more on top of anything that can fly being completely ruined by awkward models
I want sprites
I don't care about "3D" its a shitty movie gimmick
>>
>>32590624
>>32590885
>it looks shit on purpose
>no really guys let me cherry pick and echo chamber
>>
File: Cipher_Admin_Venus.png (970KB, 960x1478px) Image search: [Google]
Cipher_Admin_Venus.png
970KB, 960x1478px
>>32590512
Colosseum was a pretty ugly game, I'm pretty sure they made the new humans and Pokemon look blocky to match up with the Stadium models.
>>
>>32593051
>cherry pick

It's the case with litterally every pokemon, go look yourself.

>>32592697
Get your eyesight checked.

If you think it looks bad, then that's fine, but factually speaking, that's not a model issue, it's an official art/design issue, since that's how those pokemon are supposed to look.
>>
File: 051_f2.png (159KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
051_f2.png
159KB, 475x475px
>>32594082
>b-but the official art!
Fuck off.
>>
File: Tenma and Lillie.png (246KB, 800x240px) Image search: [Google]
Tenma and Lillie.png
246KB, 800x240px
>>32591791
>>32592303
Just decided to do a quick comparison of Inazuma Eleven's first cutscene and one of Pokemon Moon's, since that's when things are supposed to look the best visually.
>>
>>32594130
>I don't have a counterarguement so i'm just going to post "fuck off"
>>
>>32594130
>>32593051
He's right though. Look on any pokemon's page on bulbapedia and in literally every case the models are closer in coloration to the official art then the sprites are.
>>
>>32594415
i ship it
>>
>>32589804
rhydon looks awful on stadium desu
>>
Sprites are shit when all they do is bounce and rotate around and artifact everywhere. Models don't do that.
Now, the problem is with the animations, mainly that there isn't very much. In battle, there's too many instances where a mon will punch the air and then the other mon will get damaged for no reason.
>>
>>32586955
My less favorite, too big in general and fucked up most of the older designs. Gen V had the best sprites for me.
>>32586789
Also, models suck because you can't expect designs that are meant to be simple, such as Pokemon ones, to keep their nature in a highly defined model.
>>
>>32590885
The head on Nidoking's model has the shape of a Lickitung's.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.